Trending Topics

Next match: LFC v Spurs [Premier League] Sun 5th May @ 4:30 pm
      Anfield

Today is the 29th of April and on this date LFC's match record is P29 W11 D6 L12

LFC Reds Poll

Q. Should Gerrard return to Anfield as a Player?

Yes.
      (24.4%)
      No.
      (75.6%)

Steven Gerrard (LA Galaxy)

Read 13116 times
      glennusmc
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • Started Topic
      • 5,817 posts | 471 
      Steven Gerrard (LA Galaxy)
      Nov 04, 2015 01:42:32 am
      Source - Sports Mobile ( my iPhone app here in USA )
      Wondering if any truth to this:

Liverpool manager Jürgen Klopp has reached out to former captain and current LA Galaxy star Steven Gerrard as he seeks to bring more experience to the club, reports Simon Hughes of the Independent.

Klopp has spoken with Gerrard several times since replacing Brendan Rodgers last month. Initial discussions opened up the possibility of a return, if only in a training capacity, until Jan. 15.

But the Galaxy are "not willing to sanction a loan deal similar to the afforded to David Beckham, who went to Milan twice in five years at the club," writes Hughes.

Gerrard, who still has a year left on his contract with the Galaxy, will travel to London on Wednesday ahead of an in-person meeting with Klopp.

The 35-year-old has already hinted that next year could be his last as a footballer.

« Last Edit: Nov 30, 2015 05:53:03 pm by JD »
      glennusmc
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • Started Topic
      • 5,817 posts | 471 
      Re: Steven Gerrard / Loan
      Reply #1: Nov 04, 2015 01:47:23 am
      I watched a few LA Galaxy games when I could. He just didn't seem himself, couldn't really adapt to the play of the MLS. Can't really explain why, besides the fact that he is 35 years old, and he has played his heart and body out of steam.
      « Last Edit: Nov 04, 2015 02:23:58 am by glennusmc »
      crouchinho
      • Forum Legend - Shankly

• 42,508 posts | 2620 
      • TU TA LOUCO? FILHO DA PUTA!
      Reply #2: Nov 04, 2015 02:12:29 am
      He'd be terrific to have around the place but we all saw how his performances waned last season. Whilst he has more ability than Can and Milner combined, i don't think getting him back should be a solution to the problem.

I still love him and always will but now isn't the time to be sentimental when it comes to our fortunes on the pitch.

Of course Klopp could see it differently and he sees a way to use him.
      alex1995
      • Forum Legend - Benitez

• 2,186 posts | 165 
      Reply #3: Nov 04, 2015 06:14:35 am
      It would be a good idea, Milner has not been better than Gerrard. Klopp won't do the terrible mistake of playing Gerrard as DM.

With Lucas, Gerrardn Coutinho in the middle, Benteke, Firminho and Sturridge/Ibe forward, we would have a very good spine to build on.

federer
      • Needs a Klopp hug
      • Forum Legend - Fagan

• 4,932 posts | 645 
      Reply #4: Nov 04, 2015 06:21:28 am
      this would be a very bad idea.

Even putting aside for a second the fact that the man cannot run anymore, that his performances last season were mediocre (and that's being kind), putting all of that to the side---

---we need to move on.  Let's create some new legends and let some new leaders step up.  Sakho is clearly the leader of this team now, let him put his mark on it and lead us going forward.  With Stevie around even if he's just training there is this weird atmosphere of him being the "leader," even though we are moving in a new direction.

and what was the point of all of that goodbye celebration against Palace etc if he was just going to come back a few months later?

There's no need for this.  Things in life come to an end.  Change happens.  And you move on.  Klopp has been here a few weeks, let him help us create some new legends instead of worrying about bringing in former ones.

HScRed1
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 20,191 posts | 4405 
      Reply #5: Nov 04, 2015 07:56:45 am
      So Gerrard thinks he can finally win a league title with Klopp   ;D

Seriously this is a bad idea, his legs have gone as witnessed by his MLS appearances so not sure what he has to offer on the pitch especially in a Klopp side.

If he wants a coaching role under Klopp that's a different matter. But his book oh dear..........
      Redmen
      • Forum Ian St John

• 429 posts | 61 
      Reply #6: Nov 04, 2015 08:00:15 am
      I can totally see why people would be reluctant to have him back because of what he could realistically offer on the pitch.

However I'd be delighted if this happened (if it isn't a loan) as it would mean Klopp will have righted one of the clubs biggest ever wrongs and that is that Gerrard should have been allowed to finish his career at Liverpool.
      KopiteLuke
      • Forum Legend - Shankly

• 21,056 posts | 3784 
      Reply #7: Nov 04, 2015 08:40:36 am
      Coaching the young lads I could understand, but in my view Stevie just has eyes on being the manager in the future and I'd rather not have that shadow over Klopp. Not that he would at all be intimated or anything else so stupid but it would just linger there always niggling away.

We don't and he doesn't need that, keep the focus where it should be, entirely on the footy without needless distractions.

If anyone is thinking Stevie can come in and have some sort of playing role they really have lost their marbles.
      bigmick
      • Forum Legend - Paisley

• 10,078 posts | 2767 
      Reply #8: Nov 04, 2015 09:36:20 am
      My guess is Jürgen wants to talk to Stevie about a role in the back room staff, and I think it's a fine idea. Klopp stayed seven years in his previous job(s) and who knows where Stevie would be after working that length of time with Jürgen. I don't think it would cast any shadow on the boss at all, anybody wanting to replace this bloke with Gerrard or indeed anybody else in World football is in my opinion a f****** moron.

Gerrard though is an absolute legend at Liverpool and working with the kids/reserves would be massively helpful to them. Legend is sometimes an overused word at Liverpool, but to Gerrard it applies in full.
      Frankly, Mr Shankly
      Reply #9: Nov 04, 2015 09:38:15 am
      this would be a very bad idea.

Even putting aside for a second the fact that the man cannot run anymore, that his performances last season were mediocre (and that's being kind), putting all of that to the side---

---we need to move on.  Let's create some new legends and let some new leaders step up.  Sakho is clearly the leader of this team now, let him put his mark on it and lead us going forward.  With Stevie around even if he's just training there is this weird atmosphere of him being the "leader," even though we are moving in a new direction.

and what was the point of all of that goodbye celebration against Palace etc if he was just going to come back a few months later?

There's no need for this.  Things in life come to an end.  Change happens.  And you move on.  Klopp has been here a few weeks, let him help us create some new legends instead of worrying about bringing in former ones.

F**k me? Something I agree with from federer?!
      Rush Goalie
      • Forum Legend - Benitez

• 1,333 posts | 281 
      Reply #10: Nov 04, 2015 09:57:40 am
      From the way Stevie was talking about plastic pitches and altitude etc. he doesn't sound happy with life in the MLS, I think if he came back it would be a permanent transfer say 18 month playing deal with a view to longer term coaching I don't see what a January loan would achieve really.
      I'm not saying that I'm clamouring for him to make a playing comeback but I think Klopp would have him as a player.
      You could say his legs had gone last season but I wonder whether missing out on the league affected him? I don't know I could be barking up the wrong tree....as a fan I still felt the hangover last season,I try and not think about it now.
      mcarz
      • Forum Legend - Paisley

• 17,179 posts | 1355 
      Reply #11: Nov 04, 2015 10:15:24 am
      It would be a good idea, Milner has not been better than Gerrard. Klopp won't do the terrible mistake of playing Gerrard as DM.

With Lucas, Gerrardn Coutinho in the middle, Benteke, Firminho and Sturridge/Ibe forward, we would have a very good spine to build on.

It would be the complete opposite of a good idea. He doesn't have the legs to keep up with slow tempo football in the US so how do you expect him to start for us and run around? To think you'd actually start him in centre mid for us after he's looking very poor for LA Galaxy is comical.   

I can totally see why people would be reluctant to have him back because of what he could realistically offer on the pitch.

However I'd be delighted if this happened (if it isn't a loan) as it would mean Klopp will have righted one of the clubs biggest ever wrongs and that is that Gerrard should have been allowed to finish his career at Liverpool.

If it isn't a loan then we have to pay a transfer fee, F**k that! Why pay for a player who shouldn't really be getting game time and whose legs went a year or so ago? While the way he left was wrong, the idea behind it wasn't. Gerrard could no longer play to the level required and Brendan obviously saw that. Offering him a new multi-year contract just so he could retire a red is sentimental and wrong.

At the end of the day, to those at the club who haven't been Liverpool fans most of their life Gerrard is just another player.
      RedPuppy
      • Still European.
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 19,253 posts | 2855 
      • Parum Rutilus Canis: Illegitimi non carborundum
      Reply #12: Nov 04, 2015 10:15:25 am
      Not convinced this is a good idea to be honest.

Are you?

Poll added, as it really is out of the blue, and going to be quite a talking point.

Just a black and white question, no fence sitting allowed, and only as a player.
      Roddenberry
      • Forum Legend - Paisley

• 16,568 posts | 1876 
      Reply #13: Nov 04, 2015 11:13:00 am
      Results of a slightly different poll.
      srslfc
      • Forum Legend - Shankly

• 32,256 posts | 4933 
      Reply #14: Nov 04, 2015 11:28:05 am
      I've read that article and maybe I'm alone but there is nothing in it to suggest Stevie might be coming back on loan.

All seems to be a bit of guess work based on him training here.
      andylfcynwa
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 9,352 posts | 1631 
      Reply #15: Nov 04, 2015 11:33:32 am
      So everone on here saying its a bad idea  , and let's be fair none of us know if the rumours are correct , must think they have more knowledge and credentials than the gaffer , well id have a wager noned of us have , so if Klopp feels its the right move then thats fine by me after all we are all believing in the new boss right .?
      Ribapuru
      • Banned

• 10,843 posts | 1371 
      Reply #16: Nov 04, 2015 11:35:51 am
      Gerrard can't compete with the high level in the premiership now he is 35. MLS is probably the equivalent of league 2. He would be a brilliant coach though.
      Swab
      • Forum Legend - Paisley

• 13,361 posts | 3462 
      Reply #17: Nov 04, 2015 11:50:40 am
      I've read that article and maybe I'm alone but there is nothing in it to suggest Stevie might be coming back on loan.

All seems to be a bit of guess work based on him training here.

You're right.
      Nothing in it except rumour and bullshit.

"Klopp has reached out" a bullshit phrase that is totally meaningless, plus LA Galaxy "not willing to sanction a loan deal similar to the afforded to David Beckham, who went to Milan twice in five years at the club", then we have "Initial discussions opened up the possibility of a return, if only in a training capacity, until Jan. 15."

So basically, Gerrard and Klopp spoke.
      Gerrard wants to train at Melwood during the US "off season" and seemingly spoke to Klopp about it.

Pure speculation based on nothing more than a couple of phone calls and Gerrard maybe wanting to keep fit during the US off season.
      stuey
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 36,009 posts | 3953 
      Reply #18: Nov 04, 2015 11:55:30 am
      Gerrard can't compete with the high level in the premiership now he is 35. MLS is probably the equivalent of league 2. He would be a brilliant coach though.

Said in another thread when the media use the word perhaps as in ''Steven Gerrard returning perhaps as a player'' all credibility evaporates.
      HScRed1
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 20,191 posts | 4405 
      Reply #19: Nov 04, 2015 12:07:41 pm
      @LivEchoLFC: Klopp invites Gerrard to train with #LFC - but no talks over highly unlikely playing return https://t.co/cIVsYMKfTN https://t.co/aaMWxhymRR
      srslfc
      • Forum Legend - Shankly

• 32,256 posts | 4933 
      Reply #20: Nov 04, 2015 12:09:42 pm
      You're right.
      Nothing in it except rumour and bullshit.

"Klopp has reached out" a bullshit phrase that is totally meaningless, plus LA Galaxy "not willing to sanction a loan deal similar to the afforded to David Beckham, who went to Milan twice in five years at the club", then we have "Initial discussions opened up the possibility of a return, if only in a training capacity, until Jan. 15."

So basically, Gerrard and Klopp spoke.
      Gerrard wants to train at Melwood during the US "off season" and seemingly spoke to Klopp about it.

Pure speculation based on nothing more than a couple of phone calls and Gerrard maybe wanting to keep fit during the US off season.

Add in the sensational headline and you get people talking.
      FL Red
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 31,331 posts | 6386 
      Reply #21: Nov 04, 2015 12:24:12 pm
      So everone on here saying its a bad idea  , and let's be fair none of us know if the rumours are correct , must think they have more knowledge and credentials than the gaffer , well id have a wager noned of us have , so if Klopp feels its the right move then thats fine by me after all we are all believing in the new boss right .?

I'm not questioning Klopp...I'm questioning whether the media have made up the part about Klopp wanting him back as a player. I would highly doubt Klopp would want him back. He doesn't need anyone that's going to be a passenger in his system and unfortunately at this age, that's just what Stevie would be.

brezipool
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 9,537 posts | 1773 
      • Mon the Red Machine !
      Reply #22: Nov 04, 2015 12:38:50 pm
      he is only coming home for xmas, and wants to train with LFC to stay fit.

that's it. ffs. chill.

Quick Reply