Trending Topics

Next match: LFC v Spurs [Premier League] Sun 5th May @ 4:30 pm
      Anfield

Today is the 29th of April and on this date LFC's match record is P29 W11 D6 L12

LFC Reds Poll

Q. Should Gerrard return to Anfield as a Player?

Yes.
      (24.4%)
      No.
      (75.6%)

Steven Gerrard (LA Galaxy)

Read 13115 times
      Swab
      • Forum Legend - Paisley

• 13,361 posts | 3462 
      Re: Steven Gerrard / Loan
      Reply #23: Nov 04, 2015 12:47:34 pm
      Add in the sensational headline and you get people talking.

I'm reliably informed it's called "clickbait"  :laugh:
      stuey
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 36,009 posts | 3953 
      Reply #24: Nov 04, 2015 12:50:06 pm
      Really surprised this paper talk has prompted a new thread. Nothing in the whispers justifies a promotion from the 'rumour' section.
      fields of anny rd
      • Forum Legend - Paisley

• 17,663 posts | 1961 
      Reply #25: Nov 04, 2015 12:53:03 pm
      If Klopp genuinely wants him back then I'm all for it, but I'd guess he wants to look forwards now rather than back. Wouldn't mind seeing him about the place training with the squad which I think is what the discussions are really about. Read that his mls club have basically written into his contract that he's not to go out on loan to a premier league club in their off season as well.
      Brian78
      • Forum Legend - Paisley

• 19,265 posts | 2827 
      • A Liverbird upon my chest
      Reply #26: Nov 04, 2015 01:08:19 pm
      Wow. Came into post how much of a bad thing this would be in my opinion, thinking id be on my own. Then saw the voting  :o

My reasoning is probably a bit simplified but here it is

There is no long term gain to bringing a 35 year old well beyond his best back. Even short term I dont see any positive. Id hope in January that well be spending money on bringing the best available players to strenghten where we need it. I dont see Stevie being the answer to improving the team anywhere. Leadership perhaps? But isnt it time that others stepped from his shadow to lead?

No problem if its a situation like when Henry came back to Arsenal to train over winter. But think other then that its not a good idea   
      JD
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 39,654 posts | 6949 
      Reply #27: Nov 04, 2015 01:30:58 pm
      Bad idea I reckon.  Not even convinced on the 'just training' with the first team.
      heimdall
      • Forum Legend - Paisley

• 13,818 posts | 2724 
      Reply #28: Nov 04, 2015 01:38:06 pm
      Gerrard can't compete with the high level in the premiership now he is 35. MLS is probably the equivalent of league 2. He would be a brilliant coach though.

How do you know he'd be a brilliant coach?
      srslfc
      • Forum Legend - Shankly

• 32,256 posts | 4933 
      Reply #29: Nov 04, 2015 01:58:59 pm
      Bad idea I reckon.  Not even convinced on the 'just training' with the first team.

Agree.
      Swab
      • Forum Legend - Paisley

• 13,361 posts | 3462 
      Reply #30: Nov 04, 2015 02:07:35 pm

Just wondering if you lads are thinking along the same lines of myself (disruption) or if you had other issues regarding the training.
      racerx34
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 33,611 posts | 3844 
      • THE SALT IN THE SOUP
      Reply #31: Nov 04, 2015 02:10:30 pm
      Nope.

Build again.
      srslfc
      • Forum Legend - Shankly

• 32,256 posts | 4933 
      Reply #32: Nov 04, 2015 02:39:00 pm
      Just wondering if you lads are thinking along the same lines of myself (disruption) or if you had other issues regarding the training.

Same as you Swab.

As Racer says we move on.
      Swab
      • Forum Legend - Paisley

• 13,361 posts | 3462 
      Reply #33: Nov 04, 2015 02:54:38 pm
      Same as you Swab.

As Racer says we move on.

Agreed.
      reddebs
      • "LFC Hipster"
      • Forum Legend - Paisley

• 17,980 posts | 2264 
      Reply #34: Nov 04, 2015 03:01:24 pm
      I have no real problem in him training with the lads but I'm against anything further. 

We're embarking on a whole new chapter, a new beginning, looking to the future with some fantastic young talent.  We've got an amazing manager who from day one has instilled some much needed professionalism into how we approach training and prepping for games.  Gone are the afternoons off, the bringing girlfriends and wives to Melwood, this is now a workplace not some fancy cocktail bar. 

Fantastic player, fantastic Captain and true Club Legend who I have no problem with coming back in the future to start his Coaching career but we don't need him on the pitch anymore.  We don't need the distractions and the constant harping back to his playing career by every journo, pundit etc.

shabbadoo
      • Forum Legend - Shankly

• 29,455 posts | 4585 
      Reply #35: Nov 04, 2015 03:25:18 pm
      Start a fresh, you could imagine the media circus and constant Gerrard question directed towards Klopp.

We need to move forward & not look back under Klopp.
      ajayi82
      • Forum Legend - Benitez

• 1,964 posts | 66 
      • #REDorDEAD
      Reply #36: Nov 04, 2015 04:25:01 pm
      I think he should defo train with the squad and even discuss the possibility as getting coaching badges done and if Klopp would be interested in  him coming back fulltime as a coach. Not a main coach with 1st team but just an ex pro around the youth and U21's gaining experiance as we have some good coaches in Liverpool now as all levels.
      As for a player i dont think it would be good for him as he wont get much game time but he's better than Joe Allen and can still do a job against lower opposition plus he's a boost to the team.
      He's still got a few super sub seasons in  him probably 2 max as a holding, pirlo type. we then lure Xabi Alonso back also on a 18month deal and win the league tra la la la la
      Frankly, Mr Shankly
      Reply #37: Nov 04, 2015 04:33:11 pm
      Don't quite know the agenda this Simon Hughes fella has but it's bordering on obsessive with his 'scoops' and supportive opinion pieces regarding return of over the hill legends. Hughes, quite simply, doesn't realise that this is a new start, (A RESTART as Klopp said) and that we don't need any soggy sentimental tokenism like this. Should he train? Sure he could, but he should stay out of first team matters entirely. Gerrard, perhaps, wants to come back and put on the red shirt again but doing so would just be in order to serve a self fulfilling agenda. If he thought in regards to doing what is best for the future of the team, he'd realise that such an idea is pure folly. Given the tripe he wrote in his latest autobiography I somehow doubt he has the humility and/or awareness to believe or accept that is the case.

While some bemoan how he departed others will quite rightly ask 'what took it so long'? People like to find faults in how he departed Liverpool but that's just nit picking in the extreme. To argue that he should have been kept on in a coaching role goes against the grain of merit associated with the success of Liverpool FC. How about he get his coaching badges then return to the club like every other hard working, hard spending coach in this country? The idea that he only had to offer 'inspiration' as a coach to make him a success at the club is pure fantasy. They are such pithy grounds for keeping a player/coach on.

Somehow we allowed a cult of personality to surround Gerrard to the point where we were merely serving his interests as opposed to the club as a whole...as Rodgers found out so painfully last season and arguably throughout his tenure here as Liverpool manager.
      s@int
      • Forum Legend - Paisley

• 14,987 posts | 2282 
      Reply #38: Nov 04, 2015 04:46:19 pm
      I have no real problem in him training with the lads but I'm against anything further. 

We're embarking on a whole new chapter, a new beginning, looking to the future with some fantastic young talent.  We've got an amazing manager who from day one has instilled some much needed professionalism into how we approach training and prepping for games.  Gone are the afternoons off, the bringing girlfriends and wives to Melwood, this is now a workplace not some fancy cocktail bar. 

Fantastic player, fantastic Captain and true Club Legend who I have no problem with coming back in the future to start his Coaching career but we don't need him on the pitch anymore.  We don't need the distractions and the constant harping back to his playing career by every journo, pundit etc.

Agree completely
      Magillionare
      • Official LFC Reds Sig Maker. Lives on Sesame Street.
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 14,918 posts | 2381 
      • Hold on a minute, John Wayne hasn't arrived yet.
      Reply #39: Nov 04, 2015 04:55:25 pm
      He's not good enough.
      Frankly, Mr Shankly
      Reply #40: Nov 04, 2015 05:02:42 pm

Absolutely. I'd like to read why those 5 people who voted 'Yes' he should come back as a player should do so?

I think there are some people who genuinely believe (including Gerrard himself) that Steven Gerrard is Liverpool FC incarnate. Which is sad. Very sad.
      stuey
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 36,009 posts | 3953 
      Reply #41: Nov 04, 2015 05:03:50 pm

No one knows that better than the man himself mate, two chances of him playing for LFC - a dog's chance etc etc.
      bazspeedman
      • Forum Legend - Paisley

• 15,822 posts | 2455 
      Reply #42: Nov 04, 2015 05:33:21 pm
      I think Stevie would thrive under Klopp just as Lucas has.

However I don't see the point in giving him a short term playing contract unless it's for emergency cover but we have enough midfield players.

Like others have stated this is a new era for Liverpool FC. We should be building on the squad we have and bringing in fresh quality.

I won't lie and say I wouldn't love to see Stevie play at least once under Klopp though so I'm happy either way.
      stuey
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 36,009 posts | 3953 
      Reply #43: Nov 04, 2015 05:52:42 pm
      I think Stevie would thrive under Klopp just as Lucas has.

However I don't see the point in giving him a short term playing contract unless it's for emergency cover but we have enough midfield players.

Like others have stated this is a new era for Liverpool FC. We should be building on the squad we have and bringing in fresh quality.

I won't lie and say I wouldn't love to see Stevie play at least once under Klopp though so I'm happy either way.

His fitness levels in no way match those of Lucas, before Stevie left he was treated with kid gloves for that very reason.
      The best coach in the world could not address Stevie's physical issues that stand between him and the rigours of the Prem. League.
      Those years of giving 200% for LFC have taken their toll.
      Those years of giving 200% for LFC and his country have taken their toll.
      andylfcynwa
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 9,352 posts | 1631 
      Reply #44: Nov 04, 2015 06:03:23 pm
      I'm not questioning Klopp...I'm questioning whether the media have made up the part about Klopp wanting him back as a player. I would highly doubt Klopp would want him back. He doesn't need anyone that's going to be a passenger in his system and unfortunately at this age, that's just what Stevie would be.
      I

Thats quite fair mate  sensational headlines to sell to the folks , as I said none of us know the truth in it  , Klopp will know what he needs and what he dosent .

Frankly, Mr Shankly
      Reply #45: Nov 04, 2015 06:06:58 pm
      Klopp on Steven Gerrard return (in press conference): “Absolutely if he wants to train our door is open, but nothing else.”

via James Pearce twitter.

So that's that dealt with then.

Quick Reply