Trending Topics

Next match: LFC v Spurs [Premier League] Sun 5th May @ 4:30 pm
      Anfield

Today is the 28th of April and on this date LFC's match record is P27 W14 D8 L5

LFC Reds Poll

Q. Should Gerrard return to Anfield as a Player?

Yes.
      (24.4%)
      No.
      (75.6%)

Steven Gerrard (LA Galaxy)

Read 13112 times
      srslfc
      • Forum Legend - Shankly

• 32,256 posts | 4933 
      Re: Steven Gerrard / Loan
      Reply #92: Nov 28, 2015 07:11:34 pm
      I don't think Gerrard should be given a job as coach just because he was a great player, but neither should he be excluded just because he wrote a book.

A very fair point mate.

I've always said that I don't think Gerrard will be a top level coach, just a gut feeling, but I also have no problem with him coming back to the club and wrong his way up through the ranks if that's how he sees his future.

I'd love nothing more than for him to prove me wrong and end up leaving us to silverware some years down the line.

Kharhaz
      • Forum Emlyn Hughes

• 685 posts | 200 
      Reply #93: Nov 29, 2015 09:20:49 pm
      Or indeed how Kenny did, or Kouman or Ancelotti or Kruyff or Koeman have done to name a few - but yeah, great point - throw out 2 managers who haven't done that well, that works.

When did Kouman or Ancelotti or Kruyff or Koeman play for Liverpool?
      Passportboy
      • Forum Legend - Fagan

• 3,608 posts | 109 
      • Yippeeeee
      Reply #94: Nov 30, 2015 07:09:20 am
      When did Kouman or Ancelotti or Kruyff or Koeman play for Liverpool?

Not the point - well, I thought you were talking about ex players who became managers. I didn't realise you reserved the right for ex-Liverpool players turning into managers?
      waltonl4
      • Forum Legend - Shankly

• 37,586 posts | 7140 
      Reply #95: Nov 30, 2015 11:41:22 am
      I really don't think he will become a coach he isn't a great communicator is he. He never was a good Captain in the true sense of the word it was his sheer will power and talent that other players followed.
      When you think people like Alan Hansen never coached it goes to show how difficult it is. The great managers now are people who you could see running major businesses not just football teams they have a vision and now how to construct a management team to achieve this.
      David Wright
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 5,297 posts | 765 
      Reply #96: Nov 30, 2015 11:48:04 am
      Great player and servant to the club, but now is the time to move on.
      srslfc
      • Forum Legend - Shankly

• 32,256 posts | 4933 
      Reply #97: Nov 30, 2015 11:54:21 am
      I think Stevie would be great in a kind or ambassadorial role if he wants to come back to the club rather than a coach.

Kind of like a figure head.
      ajayi82
      • Forum Legend - Benitez

• 1,964 posts | 66 
      • #REDorDEAD
      Re: Steven Gerrard (LA Galaxy)
      Reply #98: Dec 01, 2015 12:32:23 pm
      Lets just hope he gets the itch to put on the famous red and walk out once again would be nice having him milner and hendo in the midfield and would give us a great option to see out a game during the xmas period when on paper we have decent fixtures.
      Frankly, Mr Shankly
      Reply #99: Dec 01, 2015 12:45:40 pm
      Lets just hope he gets the itch to put on the famous red and walk out once again would be nice having him milner and hendo in the midfield and would give us a great option to see out a game during the xmas period when on paper we have decent fixtures.

What did he actually provide us in the last season of his career at us? The desperate attempts to accommodate him in recent years was more a hindrance than a help in my opinion.

It really is time to move on.
      waltonl4
      • Forum Legend - Shankly

• 37,586 posts | 7140 
      Reply #100: Dec 01, 2015 12:54:15 pm
      What did he actually provide us in the last season of his career at us? The desperate attempts to accommodate him in recent years was more a hindrance than a help in my opinion.

It really is time to move on.

I really think his heart wasn't in it last season a hangover from losing the League and losing Luis. I think he was also misled by Rodgers who on one hand told everyone he could play until he was 40 then dropped him for the big RM game.
      I think Jürgen has his team and I cannot see him bringing Stevie into it and I really cannot see him as a coach or a manager
      mcarz
      • Forum Legend - Paisley

• 17,179 posts | 1355 
      Reply #101: Dec 01, 2015 01:08:35 pm

Why hope? He offered nothing for us in his last season really and offered next to nothing at LA Galaxy. It's time to stop living in the past and get over it really.
      s@int
      • Forum Legend - Paisley

• 14,987 posts | 2282 
      Reply #102: Dec 01, 2015 01:19:54 pm
      What did he actually provide us in the last season of his career at us?

He was our top scorer, which is not bad for his final season? He was our second top scorer to Sterling if you don't want to count his penalties for some reason.

Our top scorer in the league last season
      Our top scorer in the CL last season
      Our top scorer in the F.A. CUP last season

I do agree that it is time to move on.

Quick Reply