Trending Topics

Next match: LFC v Brighton [Premier League] Sun 31st Mar @ 2:00 pm
      Anfield

Today is the 29th of March and on this date LFC's match record is P24 W11 D6 L7

LFC Reds Poll

Q. LFC Man of the Match?

Simon Mignolet
      0 (0%)
      Nathaniel Clyne
      14 (18.9%)
      Martin Skrtel
      7 (9.5%)
      Mamadou Sakho
      3 (4.1%)
      Alberto Moreno
      1 (1.4%)
      Lucas Leiva
      8 (10.8%)
      Emre Can
      0 (0%)
      Jordon Ibe
      23 (31.1%)
      Adam Lallana
      4 (5.4%)
      Philippe Coutinho
      12 (16.2%)
      Christian Benteke
      1 (1.4%)
      Dejan Lovren
      0 (0%)
      Roberto Firmino
      1 (1.4%)

Total Members Voted: 72

Voting closed: Nov 15, 2015 06:08:50 pm

Liverpool 1-2 Crystal Palace: In game and Post Match debate

Read 30683 times
      Beerbelly
      • Banned

• 6,983 posts | 2054 
      Re: Liverpool 1-2 Crystal Palace: In game and Post Match debate
      Reply #529: Nov 09, 2015 07:54:48 am
      I trust beerbelly was joking about it not being Migs fault for the second goal?!

He "punched" it straight back to Scott Dann FFS! A truly awful goalkeeper, that occasionally makes a flash looking save or dive. That does not constitute a good goalkeeper!

You should be asking why the F**k was Firmino tasked with marking Dann, and why he was unchallenged on both occasions for his attempts.
      HScRed1
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 20,172 posts | 4401 
      Reply #530: Nov 09, 2015 08:13:22 am
      I trust beerbelly was joking about it not being Migs fault for the second goal?!

He "punched" it straight back to Scott Dann FFS! A truly awful goalkeeper, that occasionally makes a flash looking save or dive. That does not constitute a good goalkeeper!

No team aspiring for Top 4 would have Migs as their keeper.
      MarkMitt
      • Forum Legend - Fagan

• 2,800 posts | 337 
      • Give it your best every time!
      Reply #531: Nov 09, 2015 09:10:04 am
      You should be asking why the f**k was Firmino tasked with marking Dann, and why he was unchallenged on both occasions for his attempts.

You can't pass the buck onto Firmino for this. Yes he could have helped to defend better as a unit, same as Can didn't have to give it to Bolasie for their 1st. But the buck stops with Migs on this one. He could and SHOULD have caught the ball. It was simple. But he made another error in his judgement and was punished, yet again.

HamannsTheMan
      • Forum Legend - Fagan

• 3,030 posts | 1973 
      Reply #532: Nov 09, 2015 09:25:06 am
      Good for you! You got the result right!

However, did your foresight show you how Migs gave them the points that they never deserved?

Mignolet has always been sh*te. I've been saying get rid since he came here. He is awful and he will lose you more points than he will win every season. I expect him to make a big mistake each game.

What I don't expect is a Liverpool team that looks so poor when attacking. I called it after Thursdays performance and got hammered for it but the reality is that we have very average players who don't accommodate each others game.

We struggled to attack teams this season under Brendan which ultimately got him the sack. We've still struggled to attack teams under Klopp even though he has a reputation of playing gung ho football. 1 or 2 nice results helped disguise our incapability of attacking teams.

Beerbelly
      • Banned

• 6,983 posts | 2054 
      Reply #533: Nov 09, 2015 09:27:51 am
      You can't pass the buck onto Firmino for this. Yes he could have helped to defend better as a unit, same as Can didn't have to give it to Bolasie for their 1st. But the buck stops with Migs on this one. He could and SHOULD have caught the ball. It was simple. But he made another error in his judgement and was punished, yet again.

Bollocks. I can pass the buck onto Firmino, I just did.
      HamannsTheMan
      • Forum Legend - Fagan

• 3,030 posts | 1973 
      Reply #534: Nov 09, 2015 09:32:11 am

Maybe it lies with Klopp.

For set pieces yesterday I noticed that the two centre halves and Benteke were standing in a line on the edge of the six yard box - zonal marking if you like.

Perhaps it would make more sense to have players like Lucas, Clyne, Ibe in those positions and having the other three players man marking the threat.

Firmino would have been following instructions when anybody with half a brain would see that Dann would bully him and beat him in the air.
      bigmick
      • Forum Legend - Paisley

• 10,078 posts | 2767 
      Reply #535: Nov 09, 2015 09:33:37 am
      Mignolet has always been sh*te. I've been saying get rid since he came here. He is awful and he will lose you more points than he will win every season. I expect him to make a big mistake each game.

What I don't expect is a Liverpool team that looks so poor when attacking. I called it after Thursdays performance and got hammered for it but the reality is that we have very average players who don't accommodate each others game.

We struggled to attack teams this season under Brendan which ultimately got him the sack. We've still struggled to attack teams under Klopp even though he has a reputation of playing gung ho football. 1 or 2 nice results helped disguise our incapability of attacking teams.

Is there any chance you can ever make a post without an "ooh Aren't I clever" element to it?

MarkMitt
      • Forum Legend - Fagan

• 2,800 posts | 337 
      Reply #536: Nov 09, 2015 09:34:32 am

You can, but it shows you know F**k all then. One simple catch. End of their attack. Simple as that.

Beerbelly
      • Banned

• 6,983 posts | 2054 
      Reply #537: Nov 09, 2015 09:43:20 am
      You can, but it shows you know f**k all then. One simple catch. End of their attack. Simple as that.

Never mind the "One simple catch"  :lmao:

Had Dann have been marked and properly challenged Mignolet wouldn't have been asked to make a "simple catch,"  "simple as that".

HamannsTheMan
      • Forum Legend - Fagan

• 3,030 posts | 1973 
      Reply #538: Nov 09, 2015 09:44:32 am
      Is there any chance you can ever make a post without an "ooh Aren't I clever" element to it?

It's not about 'oooo aren't I clever' or 'look at me I was right'. I said a couple of days ago I will comment on the game how I see it. So if we played well then I'll say we played well. If we played sh*t then I'll say we played sh*t. I won't talk bollocks and exaggerate about how great we were when we scraped a 1-0 win in Russia. The performance against Rubin worried me and I'm surprised it didn't worry anybody else. I'm surprised nobody else saw just how sh*t we were going forward against a team who are equivalent to Ipswich or somebody like that in terms of quality.

This is not me having a go at Klopp but since his arrival we have performed equally to what we did under Brendan but the posters on here log in and write about how immense we were. Its absolute bollocks.

We cannot attack for sh*t. That's what our biggest problem is at the moment.

It says everything about the mess we are in when I was looking at Palaces team yesterday and I'd happily take 4 of their players. I'd take almost half of Crystal Palace's team right now. I never ever thought I'd say anything of the sort.
      bigmick
      • Forum Legend - Paisley

• 10,078 posts | 2767 
      Reply #539: Nov 09, 2015 09:46:41 am
      It's not about 'oooo aren't I clever' or 'look at me I was right'. I said a couple of days ago I will comment on the game how I see it. So if we played well then I'll say we played well. If we played sh*t then I'll say we played sh*t. I won't talk bollocks and exaggerate about how great when we scrape a 1-0 win in Russia. The performance against Rubin worried me and I'm surprised it didn't worry anybody else. I'm surprised nobody else saw just how sh*t we were going forward against a team who are equivalent to Ipswich or somebody like that in terms of quality.

This is not me having a go at Klopp but since his arrival we have performed equally to what we did under Brendan but the posters on here log in and write about how immense we were. Its absolute bollocks.

It says everything about the mess we are in when I was looking at Palaces team yesterday and I'd happily take 4 of their players. I'd take almost half of Crystal Palace's team right now. I never ever thought I'd say anything of the sort.

That'll be a "No" then. As you were.

HScRed1
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 20,172 posts | 4401 
      Reply #540: Nov 09, 2015 09:49:22 am
      It's not about 'oooo aren't I clever' or 'look at me I was right'. I said a couple of days ago I will comment on the game how I see it. So if we played well then I'll say we played well. If we played sh*t then I'll say we played sh*t. I won't talk bollocks and exaggerate about how great we were when we scraped a 1-0 win in Russia. The performance against Rubin worried me and I'm surprised it didn't worry anybody else. I'm surprised nobody else saw just how sh*t we were going forward against a team who are equivalent to Ipswich or somebody like that in terms of quality.

Of course we can attack, look at the number of attempts we had in their penalty area, I think what you mean is we can't finish, that's different from what you are implying.

Another thing that stood out was the bloody size of the Palace players, standing next to our players they made them look like boys v men.
      We seem to have assembled a group of weak midgets which wouldn't matter if they had pace but they are all Ibe aside extremely one paced.

ruthcity
      • Forum Legend - Dalglish

• 6,867 posts | 1465 
      Reply #541: Nov 09, 2015 09:53:35 am
      How dare you moaners critise the boys. We have character. Great character. Win or lose. Trash or be thrashed. Skilled or unskilled. Like it or not. Every player has character.
      HamannsTheMan
      • Forum Legend - Fagan

• 3,030 posts | 1973 
      Reply #542: Nov 09, 2015 09:56:00 am
      That'll be a "No" then. As you were.

20+ attempts in Russia 1 goal.

20+ attempts yesterday 1 goal.

Similar sort of stats Brendan had. Performances have been similar too. Dominate possession but do F**k all with the ball.

Because there was a massive 'get Brendan out' campaign, nobody will dare criticise Klopp who they were begging to come here and replace him.

Regardless of who the manager or how long they've been here I'll write about my opinions on how the team played. In my opinion we don't know how to attack teams just like we didn't under Brendan. In my opinion our players don't know how to accommodate each other.

But if you think we are great and everythings fine then fair enough. I don't though.

MarkMitt
      • Forum Legend - Fagan

• 2,800 posts | 337 
      Reply #543: Nov 09, 2015 09:58:04 am
      Never mind the "One simple catch"  :lmao:

Had Dann have been marked and properly challenged Mignolet wouldn't have been asked to make a "simple catch,"  "simple as that".

Like I said then. Shows you know F**k all.

HamannsTheMan
      • Forum Legend - Fagan

• 3,030 posts | 1973 
      Reply #544: Nov 09, 2015 09:58:59 am
      Of course we can attack, look at the number of attempts we had in their penalty area, I think what you mean is we can't finish, that's different from what you are implying.

Another thing that stood out was the bloody size of the Palace players, standing next to our players they made them look like boys v men.
      We seem to have assembled a group of weak midgets which wouldn't matter if they had pace but they are all Ibe aside extremely one paced.

No, we can't attack.

We don't create clear cut chances. Instead, we create 20+ half chances per game that go down as an attempt at goal on paper.

It's all well and good saying 'if only we had a goal scorer' but any team in the league would be competitive if they had a goal scorer. Look at Leicester.

HScRed1
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 20,172 posts | 4401 
      Reply #545: Nov 09, 2015 10:03:33 am
      No, we can't attack.

We don't create clear cut chances. Instead, we create 20+ half chances per game that go down as an attempt at goal on paper.

It's all well and good saying 'if only we had a goal scorer' but any team in the league would be competitive if they had a goal scorer. Look at Leicester.

Erm I saw Benteke miss at least two clear cut chances, the one on his head was more difficult to miss than score.

Beerbelly
      • Banned

• 6,983 posts | 2054 
      Reply #546: Nov 09, 2015 10:15:58 am
      Like I said then. Shows you know f**k all.

It shows you know FA, when you can't rebut the defensive mistakes prior to calling Mignolet into action. However, you would rather ignore and overlook this important point in order to lay easy blame at Mignolet's door.

ozi_wozzy
      • Forum Legend - Fagan

• 2,552 posts | 304 
      Reply #547: Nov 09, 2015 10:31:46 am
      I get the frustration and all the criticism, we should be beating Palace at home, but some people on here are going well over the top. Thought we actually played well in general. We bossed posession and created quite a few chances. Ibe and Clyne down that right hand side were great to watch, Coutinho looked good, Firminho is beginning to pick up the pace of Prem and we didn't deserve to lose that game. 2 defensive errors, 2 goals, and the rest is history.

I was disappointed that Benteke didn't take his chances, could have been a completely different game if he had done. Some of the chances we created were begging for Sturridge to be at the end of it. His quick feet and instant finishes were badly missed, Benteke has a lot of other assets, but isn't quite as sharp in the box as Studge.

Pardew was right about one thing though, they identified our defense as the weak link and got their players with skill/pace on the ball as much as possible. Bolasie and Zaha were constantly in our faces. As for Migs, for all his shot stopping, he doesn't half cost us points with his errors - what on earth was that?

Again, individual errors cost us, rather than being outplayed. So disappointing, but it's not as harsh as some are making out. Especially given the long journey back from outer Siberia or wherever on Thursday.
      what-a-hit-son
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 16,466 posts | 4816 
      • t: @MrPrice1979 i: @klmprice101518
      Reply #548: Nov 09, 2015 10:52:15 am
      20+ attempts in Russia 1 goal.

20+ attempts yesterday 1 goal.

Similar sort of stats Brendan had. Performances have been similar too. Dominate possession but do f**k all with the ball.

Because there was a massive 'get Brendan out' campaign, nobody will dare criticise Klopp who they were begging to come here and replace him.

Regardless of who the manager or how long they've been here I'll write about my opinions on how the team played. In my opinion we don't know how to attack teams just like we didn't under Brendan. In my opinion our players don't know how to accommodate each other.

But if you think we are great and everythings fine then fair enough. I don't though.

Sort of get what you're saying but to be fair to Klopp he's playing with a bunch of players that were chosen to fit another manager's system. Whether they were scouted, chosen and bought by the committee or Rodgers I'm pretty certain Jürgen Klopp had nothing to do with them coming.

Of course Klopp gets leeway. It could be argued that he is having to go through his pre-season with somebody else's chosen players without any transfer window. All whilst there are no friendlies as he has gone straight into playing against well drilled football sides in arguably the toughest league in world football with two cup competitions thrown in amongst it for good measure. The injuries aren't helping either ay?

If anybody is suggesting that Rodgers, at that point of his tenure (choose from during last season, the end of last season or post Summer window), with that many transfer windows and failed signings, deserved the same critique as Klopp is getting now then I call bullshit.

If we're looking for blame then it should be aimed towards the decision making that gave Rodgers another window.

Look, we all want success and we all want it quickly but take a step back and look at the big picture here. If there wasn't any decent improvement by, say, this time next year, then I'll open my ears and maybe give it a little airplay but for this season? I'll just look at it and take it for what it is and that's absolutely, F***ing ridiculous.
      reddebs
      • "LFC Hipster"
      • Forum Legend - Paisley

• 17,980 posts | 2264 
      Reply #549: Nov 09, 2015 10:53:10 am
      Well this is like old times!!

It didn't take long for everyone to fall back to the doom and gloom of a few weeks ago.  It's a bad result folks, that's all.  A blip that was always destined to happen, or did people expect us to go the rest of the season unbeaten?

We still have the same squad, with the same injury problems, the same crowd who don't get behind the team and want to leave early.

Everyone losing their sh*t with each other, people gloating because they were right about us being crap, how predictable!!

I enjoyed the game, we should have won and won easily but we didn't.  We pick ourselves up, dust ourselves down and start prepping for City.

HamannsTheMan
      • Forum Legend - Fagan

• 3,030 posts | 1973 
      Reply #550: Nov 09, 2015 11:09:21 am
      Sort of get what you're saying but to be fair to Klopp he's playing with a bunch of players that were chosen to fit another manager's system. Whether they were scouted, chosen and bought by the committee or Rodgers I'm pretty certain Jürgen Klopp had nothing to do with them coming.

Of course Klopp gets leeway. It could be argued that he is having to go through his pre-season with somebody else's chosen players without any transfer window. All whilst there are no friendlies as he has gone straight into playing against well drilled football sides in arguably the toughest league in world football with two cup competitions thrown in amongst it for good measure. The injuries aren't helping either ay?

If anybody is suggesting that Rodgers, at that point of his tenure (choose from during last season, the end of last season or post Summer window), with that many transfer windows and failed signings, deserved the same critique as Klopp is getting now then I call bullshit.

If we're looking for blame then it should be aimed towards the decision making that gave Rodgers another window.

Look, we all want success and we all want it quickly but take a step back and look at the big picture here. If there wasn't any decent improvement by, say, this time next year, then I'll open my ears and maybe give it a little airplay but for this season? I'll just look at it and take it for what it is and that's absolutely, f**king ridiculous.

I agree with you. I'm not bashing Klopp.

But because some people were so anti Brendan and because some people have instantly fallen in love with Jürgen, it clouds their judgment of how we've been performing recently. They've been going way overboard on here and talking a lot of rubbish.

Since Jürgen has come in we've done ok. We haven't been great but we haven't been terrible either. We've been somewhere in the middle.

I'm not expecting Klopp to come in and all of a sudden we are brushing teams aside 5-0 every week, I'm not expecting us to win the league overnight, but that doesn't mean we should sit here and talk bollocks every week about how great we've performed when we haven't.

sore monad
      • Forum Legend - Benitez

• 1,937 posts | 502 
      Reply #551: Nov 09, 2015 11:16:48 am
      To be fair Can had a poor game, especially the first half where his passing was very sloppy and didn't cover himself in glory with their first goal. Our midfield 2 of Lucas and Can didn't look like creating anything so changing it up for a creative player wasn't a bad call IMO. Lucas was having a better game than Can and is more reliable so I'm not all that surprised by the change. If Benteke had taken more of his chances and if Migs hadn't gifted them a 2nd goal then the change would have been praised.

It's one of them where he gambled and it was at least a gamble with the right intentions but once again it was individual errors that has cost us.

Yeah I agree the manager took a gamble and it was a positive one in that he was trying to make something happen.
      But I think he will have learned from it that it left us too lightweight in midfield.
      Can did have a poor game, and with injuries to Hendo and Milner we were short of alternatives, but i thought we looked less likely to win after Can went off than before.

Looking back at the game, going forward I think we actually played ok. Better finishing and we'd have had more than 1 goal.
      Considering we were playing in Russia on Thursday, our overall play wasnt that bad.
      What really cost us was the old defensive softness.

Quick Reply