Trending Topics

Next match: LFC v Brighton [Premier League] Sun 31st Mar @ 2:00 pm
      Anfield

Today is the 29th of March and on this date LFC's match record is P24 W11 D6 L7

LFC Reds Poll

Q. LFC Man of the Match?

Simon Mignolet
      0 (0%)
      Nathaniel Clyne
      14 (18.9%)
      Martin Skrtel
      7 (9.5%)
      Mamadou Sakho
      3 (4.1%)
      Alberto Moreno
      1 (1.4%)
      Lucas Leiva
      8 (10.8%)
      Emre Can
      0 (0%)
      Jordon Ibe
      23 (31.1%)
      Adam Lallana
      4 (5.4%)
      Philippe Coutinho
      12 (16.2%)
      Christian Benteke
      1 (1.4%)
      Dejan Lovren
      0 (0%)
      Roberto Firmino
      1 (1.4%)

Total Members Voted: 72

Voting closed: Nov 15, 2015 06:08:50 pm

Liverpool 1-2 Crystal Palace: In game and Post Match debate

Read 30680 times
      6stringer
      • Forum Legend - Benitez

• 2,051 posts | 517 
      Re: Liverpool 1-2 Crystal Palace: In game and Post Match debate
      Reply #575: Nov 09, 2015 01:05:23 pm
      Losing yesterday may well be a blessing in disguise and considering our last defeat was that god awful result at Old Toilet early September.

I've every faith in our new manager and his coaching team to get the best out of our players.

and I am still optimistic about going to Man shitty and not so much turning them over but getting "something" out of the game..

It's a very exciting time to be a Liverpool fan... can't say that about Chelski now can we...
      Beerbelly
      • Banned

• 6,983 posts | 2054 
      Reply #576: Nov 09, 2015 01:09:53 pm
      Yesterday was almost identical and to be honest I expect to see it a lot this season too. Unfortunately Brendan has left us with no width/pace and about six number 10s instead.

Yesterday wasn't identical. Our lads looked jaded. The energy and purpose had all but disapeared after the chav/Rubin game.

It was Palace who were first to many balls, it was Palace who were full of running. Shhhhh don't say it too loud but I think we actually missed Milner.

Typical hangover from European footie - something that more often than not stumped Rafa as well.
      HamannsTheMan
      • Forum Legend - Fagan

• 3,030 posts | 1973 
      Reply #577: Nov 09, 2015 01:18:24 pm
      Yesterday wasn't identical. Our lads looked jaded. The energy and purpose had all but disapeared after the chav/Rubin game.

It was Palace who were first to many balls, it was Palace who were full of running. Shhhhh don't say it too loud but I think we actually missed Milner.

Typical hangover from European footie - something that more often than not stumped Rafa as well.

I agree with that and to be honest even Barca would struggle after a midweek game in bloody Russia but there were definitely similarities in the final third. We don't have a clue and we can't break teams down.

I don't ever remember seeing a Liverpool side so sh*t in attack. I don't ever remember watching a Liverpool team and wondering/hoping they would score a goal.

The sooner Markovic is back the better for me. He'd blossom in a Klopp team I think.
      Gongfarmer
      • Forum Phil Babb

• 173 posts | 19 
      Reply #578: Nov 09, 2015 01:20:02 pm
      I thought we looked a bit toothless up front and despite out "full throttle" football, Palace beat us at that game.

Actually the teams looked fairly similar. No target u[ front but very busy in midfield. Shame to say we are currently on a par with them.

Oh, and stay in your f-ing seats please!
      bigmick
      • Forum Legend - Paisley

• 10,078 posts | 2767 
      Reply #579: Nov 09, 2015 01:26:29 pm
      Again, it'll surprise nobody that I was one of Brendans biggest advocates but I'm not having that we haven't improved, of course we have. The signs are everywhere.

That was the first time I've seen Brendan style defending since the Southampton goal, lets be honest we used to get that every week. And getting beat at home by Palace? F*** me we got beat 3-1 last season and it could've been six, at least this time it was an excellent game which could have gone either way (I actually think we were a bit unlucky). And Beerbelly is right, we definitely missed Milner. People won't admit that/see it obviously, but it's true. 
      Beerbelly
      • Banned

• 6,983 posts | 2054 
      Reply #580: Nov 09, 2015 01:27:40 pm
      I agree with that and to be honest even Barca would struggle after a midweek game in bloody Russia but there were definitely similarities in the final third. We don't have a clue and we can't break teams down.

I don't ever remember seeing a Liverpool side so sh*t in attack. I don't ever remember watching a Liverpool team and wondering/hoping they would score a goal.

The sooner Markovic is back the better for me. He'd blossom in a Klopp team I think.

I know what you're saying. Klopp will need time, he's still got to sort out us conceding soft arse goals first.

What I will say is, you can tell Benteke ain't used to midweek football! The bloke was F***ing woeful.

I think Klopp dropped a bollock in hauling Can off too. Yes, he was just as sh*te as Benteke  :D but any steel and physicality to match that of Palace evaporated from midfield as soon as he went off. Poor Lucas, midfield just evaporated around him.

He should have hauled Benteke off, at least Can was still a 'body' in the engine room, and put Firmino up top instead.

Can't see that kind of sub happening anytime soon. As I said, Milner would have been useful to have because if nothing else, he would have given us some much needed legs.
      waltonl4
      • Forum Legend - Shankly

• 37,585 posts | 7139 
      Reply #581: Nov 09, 2015 01:30:15 pm

why oh why did we let a kid like that go on loan after paying a fortune for him it just doesnt make anysense whatsoever.If there is any chance of getting him back in january we should do. We need creative fast players especially wide players
      chats
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 31,019 posts | 2741 
      Reply #582: Nov 09, 2015 01:59:18 pm
      Very tough defeat to take.

We played well for most of the game after another shockingly slow start (definitely something to work on there in the coming weeks). Just didn't take our chances and yet again, didn't make the opposition earn their goals.

Mignolet and Can are the obvious weak links in the starting XI and it showed again yesterday, the quicker we can get Hendo fit and sign a keeper the better. Benteke also had an absolute shocker (should have scored three to be honest) but I'm hoping it was just one of those days for the big man.

Clyne and Ibe played well though, we looked good down the right side all game.
      RobieSlick
      • Forum Legend - Fagan

• 2,758 posts | 259 
      Reply #583: Nov 09, 2015 03:18:12 pm
      I didn't watch the game (attending a stupid party) but it looks like we have the old problem of not scoring (even with Benteke - sooner the glass man is fit the better - but how long can he remain fit) and Mignolet.

Perhaps, Klopp could actually start Bogdan instead of Mignolet for few games and see how he goes. Surely, he can't do worse than Mignolet!
      waltonl4
      • Forum Legend - Shankly

• 37,585 posts | 7139 
      Reply #584: Nov 09, 2015 03:34:37 pm
      I didn't watch the game (attending a stupid party) but it looks like we have the old problem of not scoring (even with Benteke - sooner the glass man is fit the better - but how long can he remain fit) and Mignolet.

Perhaps, Klopp could actually start Bogdan instead of Mignolet for few games and see how he goes. Surely, he can't do worse than Mignolet!

It was a tough decision to make but Brendan did drop him for Brad Jones indefinitely. If he can be dropped for Brad Jones he could be dropped for Bogdan who is a much better keepr than Jones.
      Tadders
      • Forum Legend - Dalglish

• 6,613 posts | 558 
      Reply #585: Nov 09, 2015 05:07:52 pm
      Someone said it earlier, we concede an average of 47 PL goals a season, that is F***ing nuts. The sooner we replace Mignolet the better, everyone else can better.

MIRO
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 12,989 posts | 3124 
      • Trust The Universe
      Reply #586: Nov 09, 2015 05:31:03 pm
      Someone said it earlier, we concede an average of 47 PL goals a season, that is f**king nuts. The sooner we replace Mignolet the better, everyone else can better.

One goalie     

+

One DM  +   One Proven 20 goal striker  ( Centre Forward in old money )
      fields of anny rd
      • Forum Legend - Paisley

• 17,663 posts | 1961 
      Reply #587: Nov 09, 2015 05:51:19 pm
      why oh why did we let a kid like that go on loan after paying a fortune for him it just doesnt make anysense whatsoever.If there is any chance of getting him back in january we should do. We need creative fast players especially wide players

I think players always seem better when they are absent from the team. I don't rate Markovic. He and his attitude were poor and he deserves his time in the wilderness. He's lucky really the change of manager gives him a second chance here next season because he was gone for all money otherwise. If he's our saviour, I think we're doomed
      Dragonmark
      • Forum Jari Litmanen

• 50 posts | 28 
      Reply #588: Nov 09, 2015 05:58:02 pm
      Honestly, the solution for me is to

A) Start Bogdan till January or until Mignolet shapes up
      B) Get a CB that can slot right in for Sakho

I feel that Sakho's injury and Mignolet's fumble are two major blows to the team (in fact, I think that Sakho's injury was the biggest blow to the game. His ability to shut offense down AND start plays from the back has been essential to Klopp's side in their games. Its no coincidence that we didn't play the same way after he was off). We can fix the Mignolet situation and start giving Bogdan chances. He showed quality the last game he played, might as well, test the waters with him.

Just my two cents on the game. :)

EDIT: Tiago Ilori would have been immense for us coming off right about now. Is it even possible to recall him since Villa aren't using him? (probably not I'm assuming)
      KopiteLuke
      • Forum Legend - Shankly

• 21,056 posts | 3784 
      Reply #589: Nov 09, 2015 06:10:59 pm
      Honestly, the solution for me is to

A) Start Bogdan till January or until Mignolet shapes up
      B) Get a CB that can slot right in for Sakho

I feel that Sakho's injury and Mignolet's fumble are two major blows to the team (in fact, I think that Sakho's injury was the biggest blow to the game. His ability to shut offense down AND start plays from the back has been essential to Klopp's side in their games. Its no coincidence that we didn't play the same way after he was off). We can fix the Mignolet situation and start giving Bogdan chances. He showed quality the last game he played, might as well, test the waters with him.

Just my two cents on the game. :)

EDIT: Tiago Ilori would have been immense for us coming off right about now. Is it even possible to recall him since Villa aren't using him? (probably not I'm assuming)

Get your point fella and I'm hardly Lovren's biggest fan but unless we sell him we can't go spunking any more more on LCBs.

The team needs:

A mobile striker who bags his fair share.
      A box-to-box midfielder.
      A top keeper with leadership qualities.

You could easily argue that a CB, a winger or two and even a DM are also needed but right now the above seem to me the most vital. We need a strong spine to the side and some strong personalities.

There's no way you fix this in Jan but we can make the first steps.
      Dragonmark
      • Forum Jari Litmanen

• 50 posts | 28 
      Reply #590: Nov 09, 2015 06:23:07 pm
      Get your point fella and I'm hardly Lovren's biggest fan but unless we sell him we can't go spunking any more more on LCBs.

The team needs:

A mobile striker who bags his fair share.
      A box-to-box midfielder.
      A top keeper with leadership qualities.

You could easily argue that a CB, a winger or two and even a DM are also needed but right now the above seem to me the most vital. We need a strong spine to the side and some strong personalities.

There's no way you fix this in Jan but we can make the first steps.

Not necessarily saying spunk on LCBs, however, Sakho's passage of play will be missed depending on how bad this injury is, and it will affect the flow of play we have going forward. Lovren is fine as backup, but a (ie. one) ball-playing option is needed, unless we get Ilori back. Agreed on the keeper. Honestly though, any keeper would be an upgrade on what we have. Steps will definitely need to be taken.
      waltonl4
      • Forum Legend - Shankly

• 37,585 posts | 7139 
      Reply #591: Nov 09, 2015 06:31:59 pm
      I think players always seem better when they are absent from the team. I don't rate Markovic. He and his attitude were poor and he deserves his time in the wilderness. He's lucky really the change of manager gives him a second chance here next season because he was gone for all money otherwise. If he's our saviour, I think we're doomed

not at all he was played out of position and wasnt a Rodgers pick so his face did not fit. We were not the only club interested the kid has pace and strength  just what is needed these days I want to see what Klopp can do with him just look at the difference in young Ibe
      brezipool
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 9,452 posts | 1735 
      • Mon the Red Machine !
      Reply #592: Nov 09, 2015 06:33:01 pm
      we have averaged approx 47 goals against for the last 3 season in the league, these are the same players so its clear defensive mistakes will for a time happen.

Very true mate. tho we have been better under klopp defence wise.

The mistakes are getting punished though, which is partly bad luck, Can's bad control fell perfectly to Palace, then a cracking finish tbf to them.
      stuey
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 35,963 posts | 3944 
      Reply #593: Nov 09, 2015 06:55:18 pm
      The team deficiencies are still apparent and continue to derail our performances.
      The appointment of Klopp will if nothing else blow away any misconceptions concerning the signing of players needed to get us back on track.
      barrymanulow
      • Forum Legend - Benitez

• 1,014 posts | -14 
      Reply #594: Nov 09, 2015 09:47:32 pm
      Klopp was in a tight corner, after the Russia trip needed to rest some players, but realised what a banana skin Crystal Palace are. Palace battered United last week, outplayed them by a mile. They have some fine players and on their day are more than a handfull. I agree that we looked tired, and once again lacked composure when chances came. Positive was that more lessons were learned by Klopp about who is in it for the long haul, and who needs to go. This season is  going to be different from previous seasons with more upsets. The competition is evening up a bit more with the tv money allowing smaller clubs to buy better players and many more banana skin matches for the top 4 or 5 clubs to face. 
      Gongfarmer
      • Forum Phil Babb

• 173 posts | 19 
      Reply #595: Nov 09, 2015 09:49:42 pm
      Can we all stop getting excited about a Markovic return. To be honest he looked poor when I have seen him in a red shirt.

Think we need to look elsewhere for some answers
      bmck
      • Forum Legend - Dalglish

• 9,404 posts | 1611 
      • YNWA
      Reply #596: Nov 09, 2015 11:48:46 pm
      The sooner we replace Mignolet the better

Cost us points again. Just catch the first header from Dan. What is he doing on his knees punching a ball into the ground. JUST CATCH THE F***ing THING.
      vulcan_red
      • Forum Legend - Fagan

• 2,580 posts | 212 
      Reply #597: Nov 10, 2015 12:22:33 am
      Cost us points again. Just catch the first header from Dan. What is he doing on his knees punching a ball into the ground. JUST CATCH THE F***ing THING.

I looked at the replay of that a few times. I tried to give him the benefit of the doubt but you're right .. just catch the f&&king thing.

Quick Reply