Trending Topics

Next match: LFC v Brighton [Premier League] Sun 31st Mar @ 2:00 pm
      Anfield

Today is the 28th of March and on this date LFC's match record is P26 W11 D3 L12

Survey/Questionnaires requests by (new) members.

Read 27270 times
      lfc across the water
      • Needs a Klopp hug...Rafa's Number 1 fan...VAR has no faults Promoter
      • Forum Legend - Fagan

• 3,833 posts | 701 
      Back in the day
      Reply #46: Mar 28, 2020 10:59:47 pm
      I got BT in last year, as our successful road to Madrid went on and on, finally putting an end to needing to go out to pubs to watch our games, where they were the main/host broadcaster.

As they're restricted to one live league game per week, they fill out their football schedule with feature length documentaries and archive material. When you look at the games back then, you notice a major difference at games then from today. Some of them been;

Lack of away fans at games. Regardless of the venue, there was little cheering of away team goals up to the 70's. In most cases, the only reaction was applause from the home fans. I wonder why that was. Was it a cultural thing? Was it because away fans didnt travel? Nowadays, usually boos ring around stadiums instead, following goals by away teams.

Referees didn't show cards in many cases, up until the mid-80's. So if somebody was sent off, the referee would just point him in the general  direction of the dressing room, rather than show a card telling everyone what was going on. It confused broadcasters almost as much as the crowd. Any idea why that was so.

Nowadays, sponsors are on all club shirts, sometimes two or three on the same shirt. But in the early 80's, sponsorship was not permitted on team shirts if their teams games were shown on tv. Was it a FA, broadcaster, or government decision?

YNWA was sung during games by fans of numerous clubs up to the early 80's. Nowadays, it's just us, and sometimes it doesn't go down well at away games. So did they all just stop, or just see it as a LFC song?

Any ideas?
      Boston not la
      • Forum Legend - Fagan

• 3,564 posts | 766 
      Re: Back in the day
      Reply #47: Apr 12, 2020 05:26:50 pm
      As i said in the motd thread was watching those 70's highlights,noticed alot of the away fans mixed in with the home when goal was scored.red/yellow Cards were in football but the league was run by a bunch of old trad cu*ts so took time to move on.Bob Lord seemed to be a real old school gobs***e. As far as ynwa goes,i think the game has got more tribal as tv/tabloid/internet has developed.so certain songs got attached to certain clubs,instead of being just a bit of a sing-a-long.It is weird how different things are now,mind.
      6stringer
      • Forum Legend - Benitez

• 2,051 posts | 517 
      Reply #48: May 12, 2020 11:25:12 pm
      Probably not the right thread but it was Back in the Day
      Bit of a useless fact for ya !

My Dad told me the other night when we were talking about top goalscorers in the 70's that Frank Worthington very nearly signed for us.
      He was called back from Spain (where he was on holiday) for his Anfield medical.
      What should've been a formality putting pen to paper turned into disaster when the docs discovered he had a dose !!! :lmao:
      Shankly went ape-sh*t and fu**ed him off !! and that was that ! he ended up at Bolton !!
      He was one of those playboy players who invented showboating..great player though.
      There were a few back then, Stan Bowles was another one.
      Boston not la
      • Forum Legend - Fagan

• 3,564 posts | 766 
      Reply #49: May 13, 2020 04:54:57 pm
      Probably not the right thread but it was Back in the Day
      Bit of a useless fact for ya !

My Dad told me the other night when we were talking about top goalscorers in the 70's that Frank Worthington very nearly signed for us.
      He was called back from Spain (where he was on holiday) for his Anfield medical.
      What should've been a formality putting pen to paper turned into disaster when the docs discovered he had a dose !!! :lmao:
      Shankly went ape-sh*t and fu**ed him off !! and that was that ! he ended up at Bolton !!
      He was one of those playboy players who invented showboating..great player though.
      There were a few back then, Stan Bowles was another one.

The version i heard was we actually sent him on holiday to relax cos of high blood pressure on the original medical then he went on the pull in spain etc!!The number of clubs he played for is crazy,didn't know he managed Tranmere,and only a handfull of England caps.
      6stringer
      • Forum Legend - Benitez

• 2,051 posts | 517 
      Reply #50: May 14, 2020 11:05:12 am

The version i heard was we actually sent him on holiday to relax cos of high blood pressure on the original medical then he went on the pull in spain etc!!The number of clubs he played for is crazy,didn't know he managed Tranmere,and only a handfull of England caps.

Probably true about the high blood pressure with all the booze and fags footballers consumed back then in the 70's.

The Brazilian captain Socrates virtually chain smoked Cuban cigars, often seen emerging from the dressing room at half time and stumping it out on the pitch as he ran out... nutz !!

Think Didi Hamann still smokes (?)
      RedPuppy
      • Still European.
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 19,250 posts | 2854 
      • Parum Rutilus Canis: Illegitimi non carborundum
      Reply #51: May 14, 2020 05:19:30 pm
      Proper tackles. Both just walk away.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=7Eqhs51cBK0
      Boston not la
      • Forum Legend - Fagan

• 3,564 posts | 766 
      Reply #52: May 14, 2020 06:10:35 pm
      That was a dodgy tackle in any era ! Also a bit disturbing that  qualifies as back in the day! I guess the year 2000 is back in the day for some now.
      RedPuppy
      • Still European.
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 19,250 posts | 2854 
      • Parum Rutilus Canis: Illegitimi non carborundum
      Reply #53: May 14, 2020 07:40:01 pm
      It was 1988, not sure where you get 2000 from.
      Boston not la
      • Forum Legend - Fagan

• 3,564 posts | 766 
      Reply #54: May 15, 2020 03:03:50 pm
      The year was obvious so my point was that is classed as back in the day now but also the year 2000 could be! instead of being the futuristic world we imagined as kids,it's in the feckin rear view mirror now.
      a kind fan
      • Forum Youth Player

• 8 posts |
      Reply #55: May 16, 2020 04:35:12 am
      CAN WE MAKE LIVE MATCHES BETTER?
      Hey, guys. I am a big fan of the Premier League. I really appreciate the platform because it is a good place where we can share our experience and fan stories about favorite football teams on it.

I am also a PhD student at Loughborough University and really need your help. I'm trying to make stadium experiences better, but first I need to know what you think of live football at the moment. I know we’re in lockdown and we can't watch matches like we used to, but if you can find 5 minutes to take my survey it will mean the world to me in this difficult time. I really appreciate it.

https://docs.google.com/forms/d/e/1FAIpQLSeuEfDveH5HYiqJ9Oa14hg05Fn7UUxoSDl-h5fuOVqiDiiPsg/viewform?usp=sf_link
      Liverpool3PO
      • On Trial

• 1 posts |
      Re: NESV/Fenway Sports Group: Owners of LFC
      Reply #56: Feb 12, 2021 04:54:44 pm
      Hello everyone I'm asking a huge favour but if you would be able to complete a short survey for my dissertation, it will be much appreciated. It is about fan Liverpool fan engagement and how you kept engaged during lockdown. It will only take 5/10 minutes to complete and will help me immensely Thank you in advance. Link below for survey.

https://forms.office.com/Pages/Respo...tEN0c3VFdaVy4u
      jonashorton
      • On Trial

• 1 posts |
      Re: Introduce yourself...
      Reply #57: Mar 19, 2023 06:11:50 am
      Hi,

I am currently conducting research for my dissertation and would really appreciate any responses to my short survey. It only takes 5 minutes to complete and your input would be invaluable in helping me achieve a good mark.

Thank you so much for your time and consideration. Your participation is greatly appreciated!

Here's the link: https://forms.office.com/Pages/ResponsePage.aspx?id=d10qkZj77k6vMhM02PBKU-BNQcDFf59Ki23nS-sE5f1UQlZQUk9XMkNMSEJYU0RZQ1NXWFRTSUU2VS4u

Quick Reply