Trending Topics

Next match: LFC v Spurs [Premier League] Sun 5th May @ 4:30 pm
      Anfield

Today is the 27th of April and on this date LFC's match record is P29 W13 D5 L11

Pre Match: Liverpool V Bordeaux - 26/11 - 20:05 ko

Read 9118 times
      The Kopite91
      • Forum Legend - Fagan
      • Started Topic

• 3,654 posts | 246 
      Pre Match: Liverpool V Bordeaux - 26/11 - 20:05 ko
      Nov 23, 2015 12:56:58 pm

As hard as it may be for you and I, we need to come down from the elation of Saturdays emphatic win against City and set our sights on the next target, Bordeaux at home in the Europa League. A win here secures qualification and can save some key players a trip to Sion in two weeks time. So as tough as it may be for us mere mortals to regain our focus, you can be sure Jürgen and the Mighty Reds (Not that F***ing bird!) have their sights firmly set on this.

Bordeaux, not all to dissimilar to ourselves, are languishing in mid table, 13th, in their league, far from where they want to be. However, where we look to be improving leaps and bounds, Bordeaux have been struggling, they've won just three matches in all competitions since we played the last on the 17th of September. That run includes four losses, one of which was a 6-1 hammering from Nice! In that time they have shipped 19 goals (in 13 games) to our 12 goals (in 14), keeping just three clean sheets in the same time frame (the same as us).

Above is how they lined up against Sion last time out, a 1-1 draw with Bordeaux conceding an injury time own goal. Against us at home they set up with a 4-4-2 diamond, and in their last match on Sunday they played a 4-3-3. They still have a chance of qualifying from the group with two games to go, so it really depends on how seriously they are taking this. They just played at 4 o'clock on Sunday, if they want to focus on the domestic league they could use this a break and rest players and go with a similar formation as above. Or they might just go all out and play the same as they did on Sunday:

Personally I hope they come to attack. While we've seen fantastic progress under Klopp, our best games have been away at teams that have come at us looking to attack and leaving space. We still struggle to break down teams that park the bus.

A quick overview of their squad shows a few insights. Khazri is their main attacking threat with 4 goals and 5 assists. Their discipline is poor, 34 yellows and 4 reds so far this season, and Poko in particular is a serial offender. A bit of pace and trickery can exploit that. Just as much of their shots come from outside the box as come from the 18 yard box (46%), and 6 of their 19 goals have come from the dreaded set piece! Also there has been very little consistency to their line ups (as you can see) so this isn't a settled team, their is misunderstanding and mistakes everywhere here.

Everything Klopp has shown so far suggests that this will be taken seriously. And his team will reflect that. Especially with the chance to rest key players away at Sion heading into a busy Christmas period. Personally I would like to see Bogdan start and challenge Mignolet more, but I don't think he will, he'll get his game next week in the League Cup but I expect Mignolet in for this. I think the back four picks itself, same as Saturday, put the game to bed and there's the chance to rest players. I know Flanagan is only back in training so I don't expect him to be involved, however the UEFA website has Randall listed as injured? Seeing as he was a sub on Saturday and I haven't heard anything since I am going to expect him on the bench to give Clyne a break if the opportunity arises. Seeing as Klopp mentioned Enrique is back training with the team this would have been a good game to use him, Moreno has played a lot of Football, at a high intensity too. But since Enrique isn't eligible Moreno is going to have to keep it up until Flanagan back to fitness.

In midfield Lucas is out of the Swansea game on Sunday after getting his fifth yellow against City, so I expect him to start this one. Milner just came back from break so I expect him to be fresh enough to play his part and Klopp has been persistent with Can, he is developing and improving and I see him getting in here again. As with the back four the bench should be utilised to rest those that need it. Allen and Chirivella ready made recruits, with particular interest in seeing more from the youngster.

Out wide and in attack I see the big changes from Saturday, Coutinho hobbled off on Saturday and I see no reason to risk him further in our current injury situation. Firmino was excellent on Saturday but is still adapting and I thought he looked quite tired when he came off. The break will do him no harm, I would start him on the bench from here. Two players who have benefited greatly from Klopps arrival have been Ibe and Lallana, you can see the man management being done there. I would think these two would suit perfectly as the speed and trickery to draw the fouls and create the space in that Bordeux back line. Along with them I see Benteke starting. Origi didn't make the bench on Saturday, I think he has been taken back a step to refine his game, he was thrown in at the deep end due to injuries, there's no need to over expose him any more now that we have Benteke back and Sturridge ready for some minutes. Speaking of Sturridge I think he was only on the bench on Saturday in case we were very desperate in the last 10 minutes, I don't think Klopp wanted to play him at all, and therefore didn't! A few minutes at the end here should suffice, let's not rush things. Benteke is more than just a big lad up top, he's shown his vision and movement are fantastic and he will be a real handful for their defenders. I thought he looked indecisive in his one-on-one with Hart on Saturday, get a few goals here and put those thoughts out of your head lad.

The bench is where Klopp will have most license to tinker. I imagine it will be a good mix of experience and youth;
      Bogdan, Toure, Randall, Allen, Chirivella, Firmino, Sturridge

Like I say, this all depends on if they come to play or not. If they do come at us I can see a 3-1 (Benteke, Lallana, Sturridge). If not I see a frustrating night ahead but enough quality there to get the job done, 1-0 (Benteke).
      PurpleMonkey
      • Forum Legend - Paisley

• 10,000 posts | 1991 
      Re: Liverpool V Bordeaux - 26/11 - 20:05 ko
      Reply #1: Nov 23, 2015 01:01:46 pm
      I know Lucas is suspended against Swansea, but I would still rest him and not risk.

Would look into a Can and Allen partnertship with Can playing more defensively and Allen in the Can's usual midfield role.
      what-a-hit-son
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 16,500 posts | 4839 
      • t: @MrPrice1979 i: @klmprice101518
      Re: Pre Match: Liverpool V Bordeaux - 26/11 - 20:05 ko
      Reply #2: Nov 23, 2015 04:31:36 pm
      I'll be on Broad Street, Birmingham getting arseholed whilst watching this. Can't wait.

I'd start Benteke and just try and give Studge half an hour ready for Swansea if possible.
      HScRed1
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 20,188 posts | 4404 
      Reply #3: Nov 23, 2015 04:45:29 pm
      I'll be on Broad Street, Birmingham getting arseholed whilst watching this. Can't wait.

I'd start Benteke and just try and give Studge half an hour ready for Swansea if possible.

The Oz bar on Broad St should have the game on if your looking for a place to watch the game.

what-a-hit-son
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 16,500 posts | 4839 
      • t: @MrPrice1979 i: @klmprice101518
      Reply #4: Nov 23, 2015 04:49:32 pm
      The Oz bar on Broad St should have the game on if your looking for a place to watch the game.

I'm actually watching it in the Walkabout if that's what you mean mate. Don't normally like them but that one is sound. Huge screen last time I was there a couple of years back.

HScRed1
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 20,188 posts | 4404 
      Reply #5: Nov 23, 2015 04:53:00 pm
      I'm actually watching it in the Walkabout if that's what you mean mate. Don't normally like them but that one is sound. Huge screen last time I was there a couple of years back.

That's the one  :gt-happyup:

7-King Kenny-7
      • Lives on Sesame Street
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 44,014 posts | 5760 
      • You'll Never Walk Alone!
      Reply #6: Nov 23, 2015 06:36:45 pm
      I know Lucas is suspended against Swansea, but I would still rest him and not risk.

Would look into a Can and Allen partnertship with Can playing more defensively and Allen in the Can's usual midfield role.

Not risk what? He's unable to play at the weekend so he without doubt starts this game ahead of Allen.
      harrydunn08
      • Forum Legend - Dalglish

• 5,921 posts | 964 
      Reply #7: Nov 23, 2015 06:59:21 pm
      Not risk what? He's unable to play at the weekend so he without doubt starts this game ahead of Allen.

Agree. Saturday to Thursday is plenty of time between games to rest up.  Play the strongest 11 and get another win. Winning is a habit and we need to start making a habit of it now!! 

I hope Benteke gets the nod, with Studge getting minutes off the bench.  If we can get one of them in top form we'll be very dangerous!!! 

Migs
      Clyne - Skrtel - Lovren - Moreno
      Lucas - Can
      Firmino - Lallana - Coutinho
      Benteke

3-0 to the Reds!!!!
      hobbes2702
      • Forum Billy Liddell

• 569 posts | 34 
      Reply #8: Nov 23, 2015 07:01:21 pm

This. I would like to see Milner or Can be given a rest though seeing as one of them will have to attempt to play Lucas' role against Swansea. Wouldn't mind Allen starting instead of Can. Don't want him getting heavy legs.

reddebs
      • "LFC Hipster"
      • Forum Legend - Paisley

• 17,980 posts | 2264 
      Reply #9: Nov 23, 2015 07:08:47 pm
      This. I would like to see Milner or Can be given a rest though seeing as one of them will have to attempt to play Lucas' role against Swansea. Wouldn't mind Allen starting instead of Can. Don't want him getting heavy legs.

Milner I can understand as he's just come back from injury but barring Saturdays game Can hasn't played for a fortnight.  No way should he be heavy legged at 21 years of age after a 2 week break.
      JD
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 39,646 posts | 6942 
      Reply #10: Nov 23, 2015 08:24:17 pm
      Be handy to get qualification sorted this week.  Think we will.  Seems to be a few players slowly getting back to first team action and I'd imagine everyone wants to be involved as a first teamer.

Bizarrely we could use Sturridge and Benteke because on the showing against Man City there is no guarantee they will be starting in the league for us!
      PaulKG
      • Forum Billy Liddell

• 597 posts | 20 
      Reply #11: Nov 23, 2015 09:08:54 pm
      Only just clicked on that we qualify with a win!
      In that case I would argue for a strong team (which Klopp has tended to go for in EL so far anyway), also to give us a bit of a lift at home to try and match our away performances.
      I would go with:

Mignolet
                      Clyne   Skrtel    Lovren  Moreno
                                     Lucas
                                 Can    Allen
                          Firmino         Ibe
                                    Benteke

Bogdan; Toure, Randall; Milner, Teixeira; Coutinho; Sturridge

Might be a good opportunity to give Sturridge 30 minutes to see how he could get on against Swansea on sunday.
      MIRO
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 12,989 posts | 3124 
      • Trust The Universe
      Reply #12: Nov 23, 2015 11:14:29 pm
      Get this done and over so we can relax.
      Qualified.
      chats
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 31,374 posts | 2821 
      Reply #13: Nov 23, 2015 11:44:44 pm
      I'd probably only rest Milner and Coutinho for this one. Go out there with a strong team, get qualification wrapped up and then we can send the squad players to Sion for the last game.
      TheShanklyGates
      • Forum Ian St John

• 438 posts |
      Reply #14: Nov 24, 2015 03:23:56 am
      Qualification has to be the priority so go with a strong a team as possible. I do think we'll get the win. Hopefully Sturridge can get some minutes off the bench ahead of the game against Swansea.

Mignolet; Clyne,Skrtel,Lovren,Moreno; Can,Lucas; Milner,Firmino,Lallana; Benteke
      LFCBosnia
      • Forum Kevin Keegan

• 353 posts | 12 
      Reply #15: Nov 24, 2015 05:54:34 am
      Simply must win this game. I would love us to win the EL this season. With Klopp and ke players staying injury free it's very possible.
      Billy1
      • Forum Legend - Paisley

• 10,638 posts | 1966 
      Reply #16: Nov 24, 2015 07:43:38 am
      Beat Bordeaux and secure a place in the next stage, treat  this as another step on the way to winning this cup. I think Klopp can put out any 11 players in the knowledge that they will fight to the end for the right result. We can and will win this one.
      GERNS
      • Forum Legend - Paisley

• 12,342 posts | 1526 
      Reply #17: Nov 24, 2015 08:38:56 am
      Again, these are no pushovers, no easy games anymore. We need to create what we did against chavs and shity at home now.
      Everyone is becoming more and more familiar with Jurgens way of thinking and playing, we can surely only get better.
      The players owe us a decent performance at home, after some of the dour stuff they've turned out over the last year or so. Nows their chance. Strike while the irons hot. A 3 - 0 win, and onto the next round.
      GMM
      • Forum Erik Meijer

• 31 posts |
      Reply #18: Nov 24, 2015 09:49:15 am
      People were initially talking about the need the buy another striker. But now that you look at it Klopp would have a major selection headache with Sturridge and Benteke fit, considering that the false 9 formation is working great for us so far. I think we should pair Sturridge and Benteke upfront together for this game to see how it works out. I don't think they have played together at all this season.

Other than that I hope Arsenal make it through to the knock-out stage in CL. Having them take Europa league seriously could be risky for us  :(. I think their loss could also increase the risk of CL qualification for 4th spot going away. Any one has any idea how likely it is that the 4th spot could be lost? :-\

federer
      • Needs a Klopp hug
      • Forum Legend - Fagan

• 4,932 posts | 645 
      Reply #19: Nov 24, 2015 10:02:06 am
      Can't see why so many want Lucas and Can to play in this one.  They've both become essential in midfield over the last few weeks, can't afford for them to be knackered against Swansea.
      Roddenberry
      • Forum Legend - Paisley

• 16,568 posts | 1876 
      Reply #20: Nov 24, 2015 10:06:45 am
      Can't see why so many want Lucas and Can to play in this one.  They've both become essential in midfield over the last few weeks, can't afford for them to be knackered against Swansea.

Lucas won't play against Swansea.
      federer
      • Needs a Klopp hug
      • Forum Legend - Fagan

• 4,932 posts | 645 
      Reply #21: Nov 24, 2015 10:36:35 am

ah right the yellow cards.  thanks for the reminder mate.

still not sure if it's a good idea.  He's not exactly Usain Bolt even when he is fully fit.  Couldn't hurt to give him an extended rest before the crowded December fixtures coming up.
      mcarz
      • Forum Legend - Paisley

• 17,179 posts | 1355 
      Reply #22: Nov 24, 2015 11:01:21 am
      ah right the yellow cards.  thanks for the reminder mate.

still not sure if it's a good idea.  He's not exactly Usain Bolt even when he is fully fit.  Couldn't hurt to give him an extended rest before the crowded December fixtures coming up.

The lads just had a few weeks of, why does he need a rest right now? It's a must win game, he has to play IMO. Skrtel has to as well, don't feel confident going into a fairly important game with somebody who has played about 5 minutes of football all season (Toure).

Quick Reply