Trending Topics

Next match: LFC v Brighton [Premier League] Sun 31st Mar @ 2:00 pm
      Anfield

Today is the 28th of March and on this date LFC's match record is P26 W11 D3 L12

Leicester City

Read 56625 times
      bazspeedman
      • Forum Legend - Paisley

• 15,743 posts | 2436 
      Re: Leicester City
      Reply #391: Jul 27, 2020 09:28:11 am
      Did you want United to qualify over Leicester?? I'm no Rodgers fan but I'd certainly preferred then to have qualified over United!

On a different note I think Leicester won't be anywhere near top 4 next season. They did well this season without the distraction of Europe (similar to us in 13/14) but those Thursday night Europa League games won't do them any good at all. Vardy will be 34 too, as brilliant as he's been this season it's only a matter of time before his pace starts to rapidly decline and he becomes more susceptible to injuries

It's better for us that United are in the CL as their squad is not strong or experienced enough to compete in both domestic and European competitions without it impacting negatively on their league performances.
      RomaN
      • Forum Barry Venison

• 158 posts | 38 
      Reply #392: Jul 27, 2020 10:26:20 am
      It's better for us that United are in the CL as their squad is not strong or experienced enough to compete in both domestic and European competitions without it impacting negatively on their league performances.

This. I would have preferred United didn't get CL but the reality is it does in fact work in our favour somewhat.
      JD
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 39,529 posts | 6887 
      Reply #393: Jul 27, 2020 10:29:04 am
      Absolute bottle job from Leicester this season.

To think they were starting to think about challenging us for the title.  Total comedians.  I don't think playing in the Europa League is going to do them any favours either next season.
      therealjr
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 1,116 posts | 147 
      Reply #394: Jul 27, 2020 10:29:33 am

Wrong thread I guess but do you really think they will be challengers next season?
      bazspeedman
      • Forum Legend - Paisley

• 15,743 posts | 2436 
      Reply #395: Jul 27, 2020 10:36:08 am
      Wrong thread I guess but do you really think they will be challengers next season?

Well they will be a lot stronger than this season. They had the best points record in the league since signing Fernandes on January. If they make a couple of good signings in the Summer then who knows. But the fact they are in the CL definitely weakens their chances of competing for the PL title.
      TameImpala
      • Forum Legend - Benitez

• 2,269 posts | 1216 
      • He's five foot seven, he's football heaven
      Reply #396: Jul 27, 2020 10:59:39 am

Don't agree with that - they'd have still been playing Europa League, a competition with more rounds than the Champions League. Plus you could argue the Europa would hinder their league performances more as that's a competition they can actually compete in. I'd be very surprised if United were still competing in the Champions League come late February. Although I don't think they'll be a threat to us regardless

Plus the money they would have missed out on by not qualifying for the CL would have done them a lot of damage, would have found it harder to attract players etc
      chats
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 31,018 posts | 2741 
      Reply #397: Jul 27, 2020 11:54:31 am
      Well they will be a lot stronger than this season. They had the best points record in the league since signing Fernandes on January. If they make a couple of good signings in the Summer then who knows. But the fact they are in the CL definitely weakens their chances of competing for the PL title.

Getting CL football opens up a lot of opportunities for them in the transfer market though.

I'd expect them to be signing Sancho now.
      heimdall
      • Forum Legend - Paisley

• 13,818 posts | 2724 
      Reply #398: Jul 27, 2020 12:49:35 pm
      Don't agree with that - they'd have still been playing Europa League, a competition with more rounds than the Champions League. Plus you could argue the Europa would hinder their league performances more as that's a competition they can actually compete in. I'd be very surprised if United were still competing in the Champions League come late February. Although I don't think they'll be a threat to us regardless

Plus the money they would have missed out on by not qualifying for the CL would have done them a lot of damage, would have found it harder to attract players etc

In Europa league you can play you b team until the latter knockout stage, not so for CL, most games are competitive even in group stage.
      TameImpala
      • Forum Legend - Benitez

• 2,269 posts | 1216 
      • He's five foot seven, he's football heaven
      Reply #399: Jul 27, 2020 01:33:13 pm
      In Europa league you can play you b team until the latter knockout stage, not so for CL, most games are competitive even in group stage.

You can rotate to a certain point like, but I don't think you can just throw the B team out. Whenever I've watched United in the Europa League this year they seem to have had about 70% of the first team squad out. I don't think the Champions League would hamper them any more than the Europa because I can't see them staying in it past the last 16 - first half decent team they draw I think they're going out over two legs.

Whereas the Europa League is something they can have a go at, plus you go into a last 32 in the knockouts as opposed to a last 16 like the CL, meaning you've got to play a potential 8 knockout matches before you reach the final as opposed to 6 if you were in the CL (not like they would get anywhere close to a CL final like!)

They're very lucky in a way that the season has ended the way it has, with the Europa League knockouts being played after the domestic campaign has finished, as I'm sure it would have hampered with their league form towards the business end

Quick Reply