Trending Topics

Next match: West Ham v LFC [Premier League] Sat 27th Apr @ 12:30 pm
      London Stadium

Today is the 25th of April and on this date LFC's match record is P25 W9 D9 L7

Jamie Carragher

Read 32169 times
      what-a-hit-son
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • Started Topic
      • 16,495 posts | 4839 
      • t: @MrPrice1979 i: @klmprice101518
      Jamie Carragher
      Dec 05, 2015 10:23:59 am
      Would be surprised if there wasn't already a thread for him but I couldn't find one so if somebody could kindly merge if there is.

Didn't know where to put this.

Jamie Carragher interviews John Terry: Chelsea and Liverpool legends come head-to-head to discuss the ghost goal, this season and what the future holds...

By Jamie Carragher for the Daily Mail
      22:30 04 Dec 2015, updated 05:02 05 Dec 2015

OUR BATTLES

Carragher: ‘John Terry is the best Premier League centre back of all time.’ Who said that? 

Terry: (long pause) My mum, probably.

Carragher: It was me! You weren’t saying anything about pundits then, were you?! But let’s go back to 2005. You are named the PFA Player of the Year. Do you remember when you found out that Stevie (Gerrard) and I had voted for you? We saw each other at England and you seemed surprised. Was that genuine?

Terry: Yeah, of course. I didn’t have a clue. It was funny because after that, I phoned Bobby Barnes from the PFA about it. He told me I had quite a few votes and was in the running. But even then, I never dreamed of winning it. Only Paul McGrath (in 1993) and Gary Pallister (1992) had won it as defenders. I’d been struggling with my toe that year. If you have a chance of winning, they tell you to come along to the awards just in case. But I told Bobby I needed to know whether I’d won because I wouldn’t have been able to get my shoes on! Before every training session and game, I had to have an injection. So, that night, our doctor came to the hotel, gave me a jab that lasted three hours so I could get my shoes on to go on stage! As I was coming off stage, the jab started wearing off and I was thinking ‘I’ve got to get out of here!’

Carragher: I had absolute respect for you as a player but, I’ll be honest, we couldn’t stand Chelsea at Liverpool back then. Was it the same for you with us? At the end of my career, I’d played against Chelsea 45 times. You’ll be the same, as you were in all those games…

Terry: You know what, every time we got drawn together, we kept thinking ‘let’s have it’. The rivalry was there for the fans and we loved coming up against you and Stevie. It was massive. The (Champions League) semi-final in 2005. We were 30 points or something ahead of you in the table. We should have rolled you over. But the thing about Liverpool was that hunger, that fight. The fans, the passion. You and Stevie. It was everything.

Carragher: What do you remember most about that night? The Luis Garcia ‘ghost’ goal, of course, but…

Terry: (dead pan) What goal? What goal?

Carragher: The ghost goal! It’s Chelsea’s ghost, not ours! But at the end of the game, the first thing I wanted to do was go over and see you. I knew how much you had given. Every game we played was either 0-0 or 1-0. As a defender, I was going in thinking, if someone gets the better of me, that’s it.

Terry: You never forget moments like that. But don’t you think as defenders, we get nerves that midfielders and strikers just don’t get? As a defender, you have to be so mentally strong. You could have two or three games consecutively where you are at fault for a goal. As a midfielder, if you lose your runner, nobody thinks about it, do they? Lose your marker as a centre half, it’s all your fault.

Carragher: The level of concentration and intensity around those games. At the time, you just get on with it but now you look back at it and you think ‘Chelsea? Champions League semi-final?’

Terry: I can imagine what Rafa (Benitez) would have had you doing in the days beforehand, having experienced it here. We were similar (in our preparations). After the game, you are dead, aren’t you? You are blown to bits.

Carragher: I think we had a hold on you because we played you at your own game. Arsenal and Man United tried to play football against you. We wouldn’t have dreamed of doing that, we weren’t good enough. We’d knock it long to Peter Crouch or to Dirk Kuyt to pressure Ashley Cole…

Terry: How good was Kuyt in those games? You would watch him week after week and think to yourself… But then he played against us and, like everyone else, he would be a level up.

ENGLAND

Carragher: How do you look back at your England career?

Terry: You know what, I loved it up until a certain point when everything went on. It disappointed me, more than anything. I look back on my 78 caps and I’m unbelievably proud. I was captain for two spells. It’s the biggest honour you can have in football. As a kid, it’s the thing that everyone wants. I’m just disappointed with how it ended, really. I never saw myself walking away. It took something that big to say enough is enough. Once you get to 50 caps, then 60, then 70… I had a target of 100 caps. That is all I ever wanted to do. Number one was to play for England, second was to be captain and third was to get 100 caps. I’ll watch games now and it kills me. I don’t miss being away. No chance. I get to spend time with my kids, I get to see them play. I get a few days off and have family time. But I watch England games and think ‘I could have been playing there’. I could have been there last summer. I had one more cap than Wazza (Wayne Rooney) when I retired. I would have been there or thereabouts, so that kind of eats away.

Carragher: Fabio Capello resigned in 2012 when he disagreed with the FA’s decision to take the captaincy off you. Have you spoken to him much since then?

Terry: I’m still in contact with him. It’s really strange. I didn’t have that kind of relationship with him as captain. You know what it was like — he was hard. But we still speak, we text. It’s bizarre. How he stood up for me, given the character that he was, meant everything to me. I gave everything to England. In Portugal in 2004, I missed the birth of my kids as I was away with England. I missed the best day of my life. So the way it finished saddens me, if I’m honest. It was the best thing ever, going away and representing England.

Carragher: How did you get over it then? How did you cope knowing that people last season were saying you were the best English centre half and should be playing? Did you just have to draw a line?

Terry: Definitely that. In the back of my mind, something was saying ‘come back, get to 100 caps — show a bit back at them’. That was me kind of being ‘never give up’. That’s why when I was an England player I said I would never walk away. So (to do) it was something massive. When you have gone through everything as a player, you’ve been away with them, played with injections to get through games and to get turned over, it really saddens you. The fight inside me wanted to go back and play. I wanted to get to 100 caps because I would have been captain. They told me that I’d never be captain again but if I got to 100 caps, you are captain. That was the mentality I had in every game I watched.

THIS SEASON

Carragher: I expected domination again from Chelsea this season. That’s why it has all been such a shock. People can’t believe a team managed by Jose is having this run.

Terry: We were so good last season, teams sat off. But two games into this season and we get beat (by Manchester City). Everyone saw that and thought ‘we can give them a run for their money here’. You get beaten again and the mentality changes. Teams come and have a go at you.

Carragher: You are taken off at half-time against Man City. What do you think?

Terry: Listen, you take it in your stride. I was more shocked than anything. But I took it and went out to watch the second half. I’ve got that mentality where you go in the next day, work your socks off and think to yourself ‘right, I’ll show you’. There is no point moaning, sulking or staying in the dressing room. That’s not me. I’ve got to where I am in my career by fronting things up. So I did and I knew, sooner or later, he’d put me back in.

Carragher: Even at this stage of your career, does something like that put doubt in your mind?

Terry: Yeah, of course. It’s a game-and-a-half into the season. Against Swansea on the opening day, I thought I played well. I had a shaky 45 minutes against (Sergio) Aguero, who is one of the best strikers in the world. But if you go back to the last seven or eight games I’d played against him, he hadn’t got a sniff. Maybe I was due that. But you do lose a bit (of confidence) for sure. I think you pay more attention (to the criticism), too.

Carragher: People have been saying this year that ‘John Terry’s legs have gone’ but they haven’t gone — you never had them! I was the same.

Terry: But that’s lazy, isn’t it? You get to a stage and people say ‘that’s wrong’ but they don’t back it up. You’ve been there. You’ve played. You know your legs ain’t gone. It takes a little bit longer to recover but when you’re ready and the adrenaline pumps in, you are fine. I’ve never been quick.

Carragher: Exactly! You’ve always been towing a caravan!

Terry: (much laughter) Thanks!

Carragher: You reach a point and start to think twice about doing things that were natural rather just thinking ‘I’m doing it’…

Terry: Yeah, it’s not relying on your instincts, which you have made your name on. It (anxiety) does set in but then you hit the ground, have a couple of wins and you are fine again. But this hasn’t happened to me much in my career, so it (the attention) definitely does (have an impact). I don’t care what anyone says. It hits you a little bit.

Carragher: How do you cope with going from being a regular to not a guaranteed starter?

Terry: It’s different for centre halves. I don’t know what you think but as a midfielder, you can miss a game and come back. As a centre half, you are either playing or you’re not.

Carragher: That’s it: as a centre half, you are never going to come off and you are not going to come on if you are sub. When I was out the team under Kenny (Dalglish), I was thinking to myself ‘I could be out the team for months, here’. But, listen, this season the team hasn’t played well — what is different about the club to bad runs that you have had before?

Terry: It’s not different. The league table says it’s different but it isn’t. If you look for stuff (that is wrong) you will find it. You could sit there after a game and find a million things. I’d prefer to say ‘s*** result, let’s just move on’. I’ve had some managers who overanalyse things but nothing is there. Some will see that you have conceded goals at set pieces, so they will practise 20 corners. It does nothing. If anything, it does the opposite. It highlights things and makes people worry. So the manager (Mourinho) has just been like ‘let’s get on with it’. The quality is there, everything is there.

Carragher: The only difference is the manager hasn’t been sacked!

Terry: Listen, his stability is massive for the club going forward. What the club have done is set a precedent and said he’s the man to take us forward. He will do. This squad of players won the league last season. There is no difference. It’s a bad run of form. Really bad. When you have been at the top for so long, it’s horrible. You don’t want to go out after games, you don’t want to show your face in public. It’s that level.

THE FUTURE

Carragher: Your contract is up in the summer. If Chelsea don’t offer you something, do you know your next move? Or are you just going to wait and see what happens?

Terry: I think I’ll wait, yeah. I don’t know at the minute. As you get older, you start to look down that route. I’m doing my coaching badges at the minute. I’m looking at TV. I’ve done some bits for Sky and BT…

Carragher: We’re after someone, you know! Are you doing anything this Monday?!

Terry: (laughs) When you have the security of those contracts for four or five years, you are fully focused on that. But when you get to those year-on-years… I was going to ask you a question, actually. When did you know you were going to call it a day?

Carragher: I knew 18 months before. As soon as I wasn’t a regular, I had 18 months left on my contract. I knew then I wanted to go. I’d worked for ITV at Euro 2012. I’d started my coaching badges — I wouldn’t say I loved it — but I’d enjoyed TV. When I met Brendan Rodgers for the first time, I told him I had 12 months left on my deal and I was going to go at the end. It was killing me training and not playing…

Terry: That’s always been my mentality. I have never known (how) players can go week after week not playing. This is the first time in my career where I have not been a regular in the team. I couldn’t see myself doing that for a year or two years. But, at the same time, I couldn’t even begin to think about being somewhere else or playing for someone else. Chelsea is my club. I’ve been here 20 years. I’ve looked into coaching. Playing-wise, (if I went) it certainly wouldn’t be here.

Carragher: So you couldn’t play for anyone else in England?

Terry: No. No chance. No chance. America, maybe. But physically I feel like I can still play. Do I want to play? Of course I do. But then decisions come in to it with your family. What if you go somewhere and it doesn’t work out? Everything else comes into play, doesn’t it?

Carragher: Do you look at your loan spell at Nottingham Forest in April 2000 with any regret? You played six games for someone else other than Chelsea. If it hadn’t been for those games, you could have been like a Maldini, Baresi, Giggs, Carragher! You know, one club men…

Terry: (laughs) It’s a funny story actually. Chelsea wanted to sell me then. They had agreed a deal with Huddersfield. After my loan at Forest, I was supposed to go to Huddersfield. Steve Bruce was their manager. Gianluca Vialli was manager here and he knew David Platt at Forest. But I did well in those games, I started five and came on in the other. Chelsea wanted more money then decided they didn’t want to sell as I’d done well. I came back and got on the bench for the FA Cup final.

Carragher: Have you been close to moving at any point since? Did it ever cross your mind?

Terry: No. There was the thing with Manchester City. They offered £29million for me in 2009 and Chelsea turned it down. I had a meeting with Roman (Abramovich) about it. I said to him, if the club accepts the offer then it tells me you don’t want me. So then you haven’t got a choice, you have got to go. But if they don’t accept the offer, it tells me everything that I need to know. Chelsea refused the offer and that was it.

Carragher: One final thing — give us your all-time Chelsea XI…

Terry: I’ve never done this before! I’m going to play 4-3-3. So we’ll say, Cech, Ivanovic, Carvalho, Ash. I’m putting myself in! (long pause) Now this is where it gets hard… Lamps… Didier (Drogba)… Robben (puffs cheeks out), (Damien) Duffer was good, wasn’t he? But it’s got to be Hazard in that position. Then Makelele, plus Zola. It’s got to be him, hasn’t it? We’d be s*** at corners but we’d be all right otherwise!
      mcarz
      • Forum Legend - Paisley

• 17,179 posts | 1355 
      Re: Jamie Carragher
      Reply #1: Dec 05, 2015 10:49:00 am
      I love an interview by Carragher. The level of banter he has with everybody is hilarious, such a character.
      bigmick
      • Forum Legend - Paisley

• 10,078 posts | 2767 
      Reply #2: Dec 05, 2015 11:21:35 am
      Carra is an absolute legend, and it's an overused word sometimes.
      PurpleMonkey
      • Forum Legend - Paisley

• 10,000 posts | 1991 
      Reply #3: Feb 04, 2016 03:07:14 pm
      http://www.fcbarcelona.com/football/first-team/detail/image_gallery/training-session-04-02-16?gallery_index=1

I wonder if Carra is working for the committee or just out there celebrating their victory over Neville :D
      TheRedMosquito
      • Forum Legend - Paisley

• 12,201 posts | 633 
      • Elmore James got nothin' on this baby!
      Reply #4: Feb 04, 2016 04:06:05 pm

I bet Mascherano and Suarez still can't understand a word Jamie is saying :laugh:
      mcarz
      • Forum Legend - Paisley

• 17,179 posts | 1355 
      Reply #5: Jul 29, 2016 10:48:57 am
      He's set to become a co-commentator on Sky. He's doing the Burnley - Liverpool game but it's apparently only available in Ireland.
      The Kopite91
      • Forum Legend - Fagan

• 3,654 posts | 246 
      Reply #6: Aug 25, 2016 07:17:33 pm
      Over the last few weeks I've read, watched and listened to so much football content involving Carragher, and my god the mans football knowledge is phenomenal! He is a joy to listen to, as I write this I'm currently listening to an interview with Carra by Graham Hunter and as with everything he does, there's new stories and insights that are captivating.

The sooner he gets involved in the club again the better for us all!
      KopiteLuke
      • Forum Legend - Shankly

• 21,056 posts | 3784 
      Reply #7: Aug 25, 2016 08:25:38 pm
      Over the last few weeks I've read, watched and listened to so much football content involving Carragher, and my god the mans football knowledge is phenomenal! He is a joy to listen to, as I write this I'm currently listening to an interview with Carra by Graham Hunter and as with everything he does, there's new stories and insights that are captivating.

The sooner he gets involved in the club again the better for us all!

Absolutely incredible isn't he?

I've heard it mentioned that if you ever wanted anyone on your football quiz team that JC is your guy. There's few in the game that know more.
      what-a-hit-son
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • Started Topic
      • 16,495 posts | 4839 
      Reply #8: Dec 03, 2016 06:58:20 am

I can't describe how boss it is that Carragher was out in Smokie Moe's and also getting his picture taken with Lecky Legs. The fella taking this video, his mate Jeff Ollerhead, who is the 'Saint of Sound' at Smokie's and drinks in my local (and is F***ing nuts) - used to be next door to Purple Akie in jail and told me about Lecky Legs a while ago.

Carragher really isn't up his own arse in the slightest. Love it.

https://youtu.be/GSmDoRW2eNQ
      RedWilly
      • Forum Legend - Dalglish

• 9,197 posts | 1641 
      Reply #9: Dec 03, 2016 05:33:18 pm

I can't describe how boss it is that Carragher was out in Smokie Moe's and also getting his picture taken with Lecky Legs. The fella taking this video, his mate Jeff Ollerhead, who is the 'Saint of Sound' at Smokie's and drinks in my local (and is f**king nuts) - used to be next door to Purple Akie in jail and told me about Lecky Legs a while ago.

Carragher really isn't up his own arse in the slightest. Love it.

https://youtu.be/GSmDoRW2eNQ

Seems like a sound fella, following him on Instagram and just reading his book, seems like he would be right laugh on a night out.

Seperate note, I saw Purple Aki's name recently and am trying to rack my brains as to what it was about :D
      what-a-hit-son
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • Started Topic
      • 16,495 posts | 4839 
      Reply #10: Dec 03, 2016 06:18:39 pm
      Seems like a sound fella, following him on Instagram and just reading his book, seems like he would be right laugh on a night out.

Seperate note, I saw Purple Aki's name recently and am trying to rack my brains as to what it was about :D

You don't know who Purple Aki is?
      RedWilly

• 9,197 posts | 1641 
      Reply #11: Dec 04, 2016 05:14:52 am

Yeah I do mate, but it was just some random story about him recently, I swear it was on BBC but for the life of me can't remember what it said he was up to these days!
      what-a-hit-son
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • Started Topic
      • 16,495 posts | 4839 
      Reply #12: Dec 04, 2016 05:48:18 am
      Yeah I do mate, but it was just some random story about him recently, I swear it was on BBC but for the life of me can't remember what it said he was up to these days!

There was some BBC mini docu about him a few months back. Probably around that time.
      what-a-hit-son
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • Started Topic
      • 16,495 posts | 4839 
      Reply #13: Jan 27, 2017 07:07:18 pm
      littleface
      • Needs a Klopp hug or slap or both
      • Forum Legend - Benitez

• 1,283 posts | 253 
      Reply #14: Jan 27, 2017 09:08:46 pm
      There was some BBC mini docu about him a few months back. Probably around that time.
      What about a Purple Aki thread ? Now imagine him as a false number 9
      HUYTON RED
      • Forum Legend - Shankly

• 40,164 posts | 8548 
      Reply #15: Feb 28, 2017 08:59:08 pm
      Jamie joining in with Everton training today!!

Jamie Carragher‏ @Carra23 

Big Dunc & Lukaku were waiting at the entrance with the kit, wasn't easy to say no!

littleface
      • Forum Legend - Benitez

• 1,283 posts | 253 
      Reply #16: May 06, 2017 08:53:41 am
      Oh Jamie what are you going on about in your column . You should of just left it alone.
      srslfc
      • Forum Legend - Shankly

• 32,218 posts | 4919 
      Reply #17: May 06, 2017 09:23:35 am
      Oh Jamie what are you going on about in your column . You should of just left it alone.

Talking about the stress he felt whilst a player.

What's the issue?
      littleface
      • Forum Legend - Benitez

• 1,283 posts | 253 
      Reply #18: May 06, 2017 09:48:04 am
      Talking about the stress he felt whilst a player.

What's the issue?
      I just think it illustrates the bubble footballers live in , with no real idea what a working class man has to endure in his life.
      I think his editor should of said ' Nah '
      srslfc
      • Forum Legend - Shankly

• 32,218 posts | 4919 
      Reply #19: May 06, 2017 11:19:55 am
      I just think it illustrates the bubble footballers live in , with no real idea what a working class man has to endure in his life.
      I think his editor should of said ' Nah '

So just because he's a footballer earning lots of money means he shouldn't feel stress?

littleface
      • Forum Legend - Benitez

• 1,283 posts | 253 
      Reply #20: May 06, 2017 11:42:25 am
      So just because he's a footballer earning lots of money means he shouldn't feel stress?
      No , what i mean is that he's just saying he didn't like losing . Well who does? It's not torment or unbearable pressure. All top sportsmen have to deal with pressure but it's not the same pressure your average man has to deal with.
      Big deal if he had a cob on after getting beat , so did i ! It just comes across as someone out of touch with everyday peoples problems.
      srslfc
      • Forum Legend - Shankly

• 32,218 posts | 4919 
      Reply #21: May 06, 2017 12:30:47 pm
      No , what i mean is that he's just saying he didn't like losing . Well who does? It's not torment or unbearable pressure. All top sportsmen have to deal with pressure but it's not the same pressure your average man has to deal with.
      Big deal if he had a cob on after getting beat , so did i ! It just comes across as someone out of touch with everyday peoples problems.

I took from it that he felt pressure from the fans to succeed and took a lot of it on his shoulders.

Stress and pressure takes many forms mate.
      littleface
      • Forum Legend - Benitez

• 1,283 posts | 253 
      Reply #22: May 06, 2017 01:13:40 pm
      I took from it that he felt pressure from the fans to succeed and took a lot of it on his shoulders.

Stress and pressure takes many forms mate.
      I know , pressure is pressure , no matter what you do. But what he is talking about will only resonate with other footballers. He has no money worries , his job is a vocation , his stress is sport related , he doesn't really lose anything threatening through a bad performance , he 's not got any money worries or job worries , so basically all he's saying is " I'm a pain in the arse when we lose " hardly worthy of a column.
      mcarz
      • Forum Legend - Paisley

• 17,179 posts | 1355 
      HUYTON RED
      • Forum Legend - Shankly

• 40,164 posts | 8548 
      Reply #24: May 29, 2017 11:23:21 pm
      Jame having a few words with Danny Simpson again today!!

https://twitter.com/dannysimpson/status/868953869765791744

https://twitter.com/Carra23/status/869213054290022400

https://twitter.com/Carra23/status/869261368016416768

https://twitter.com/dannysimpson/status/869262123079262208

Those two tweets above came after Simpson suggested it was Carra's missus taking the pic and Carra responded by saying it can't have been his missus as she doesn't have any choke marks on her neck :lmao:

https://twitter.com/KopAce74/status/869314309821784065

Frankly, Mr Shankly
      Reply #25: May 30, 2017 12:25:07 am
      Jame having a few words with Danny Simpson again today!!

https://twitter.com/dannysimpson/status/868953869765791744

https://twitter.com/Carra23/status/869213054290022400

https://twitter.com/Carra23/status/869261368016416768

https://twitter.com/dannysimpson/status/869262123079262208

Those two tweets above came after Simpson suggested it was Carra's missus taking the pic and Carra responded by saying it can't have been his missus as she doesn't have any choke marks on her neck :lmao:

https://twitter.com/KopAce74/status/869314309821784065

Good on Carra for reminding the world that Simpson is a cowardly woman beater.
      Dadorious

• 9,882 posts | 1545 
      Reply #26: Jun 07, 2017 05:06:17 am
      Doesn't half talk sh*t Carra just read Sturridge pulled him up in OZ about him speculating that the club will sell him. He's interpration and response to the situation leaves a lot to be desired.

HUYTON RED
      • Forum Legend - Shankly

• 40,164 posts | 8548 
      Reply #27: Jun 30, 2017 01:25:32 pm
      7-King Kenny-7
      • Lives on Sesame Street
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 44,014 posts | 5760 
      • You'll Never Walk Alone!
      RedWilly

• 9,197 posts | 1641 
      Reply #29: Jul 01, 2017 09:07:17 am
      clint_call01
      • King Live Match Starter
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 11,687 posts | 3709 
      • Ynwa... lfc till I die !
      Reply #30: Jan 11, 2018 05:25:41 pm

:lmao:  Burn :P
      7-King Kenny-7
      • Lives on Sesame Street
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 44,014 posts | 5760 
      Reply #31: Jan 11, 2018 09:50:53 pm
      waltonl4
      • Forum Legend - Shankly

• 37,585 posts | 7139 
      Reply #32: Oct 29, 2018 07:52:37 pm
      MNF on SKY and Jamie declares that the two best strikers in the league on show tonight WTF. Didn't a bloke in a Red shirt win the Golden boot.
      He seems so anxious not to be seen to give any bias to LFC whilst the other little runt next to him takes great delight in pronouncing his dying love for UTD grow pair Jamie FFS.
      Frankly, Mr Shankly
      Reply #33: Oct 29, 2018 08:25:07 pm
      MNF on SKY and Jamie declares that the two best strikers in the league on show tonight WTF. Didn't a bloke in a Red shirt win the Golden boot.
      He seems so anxious not to be seen to give any bias to LFC whilst the other little runt next to him takes great delight in pronouncing his dying love for UTD grow pair Jamie FFS.

I'll give Carra the benefit and say that he must mean out and out strikers. If he'd said 'goalscorers' then he'd be talking out of his arse.
      waltonl4
      • Forum Legend - Shankly

• 37,585 posts | 7139 
      Reply #34: Oct 29, 2018 10:02:50 pm
      I'll give Carra the benefit and say that he must mean out and out strikers. If he'd said 'goalscorers' then he'd be talking out of his arse.

what is Mo if he isn't a striker I wouldn't swap him for anyone not only in this league. Carra does it all the time trying too hard to prove he can be unbiased whilst all along standing beside that little turd of a human being. I think his suspension last season has got him well and truly whipped.
      7-King Kenny-7
      • Lives on Sesame Street
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 44,014 posts | 5760 
      Reply #35: Oct 30, 2018 01:17:54 am

Salah isn’t a natural forward, he spends a lot of the game out wide. If he’s being classified as a forward then Mane, Sterling, Mahrez, Sane etc all have to be too.
      Carra is on about out and out strikers, which Kane and Aguero are. A CM could have hit the numbers Salah did last season, wouldn’t make him the best striker because he’s a midfielder.
      PurpleMonkey
      • Forum Legend - Paisley

• 10,000 posts | 1991 
      Reply #36: Feb 09, 2019 11:32:37 pm
      shabbadoo
      • Forum Legend - Shankly

• 29,428 posts | 4582 
      Reply #37: Feb 09, 2019 11:43:53 pm
      Ribapuru
      • Banned

• 10,843 posts | 1371 
      Reply #38: Feb 10, 2019 10:02:38 am
      Salah isn’t a natural forward, he spends a lot of the game out wide. If he’s being classified as a forward then Mane, Sterling, Mahrez, Sane etc all have to be too.
      Carra is on about out and out strikers, which Kane and Aguero are. A CM could have hit the numbers Salah did last season, wouldn’t make him the best striker because he’s a midfielder.
      There's different types of forwards, but Salah is a wide forward just like Ronaldo and Messi have been. Ultimately though forwards are forwards as far as I'm concerned.
      clint_call01
      • King Live Match Starter
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 11,687 posts | 3709 
      • Ynwa... lfc till I die !
      7-King Kenny-7
      • Lives on Sesame Street
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 44,014 posts | 5760 
      Reply #41: Feb 10, 2019 04:50:58 pm
      There's different types of forwards, but Salah is a wide forward just like Ronaldo and Messi have been. Ultimately though forwards are forwards as far as I'm concerned.

What a random thing to quote, it’s only been 4 months...
      stuey
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 36,004 posts | 3952 
      Reply #42: Feb 12, 2019 08:38:19 pm
      Ribapuru
      • Banned

• 10,843 posts | 1371 
      Reply #43: Feb 16, 2019 02:01:02 pm
      I'd like to read it but I don't want to accept the GDPR thing. Could anybody post it as an article please?
      stuey
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 36,004 posts | 3952 
      Reply #44: Feb 16, 2019 02:16:10 pm
      I'd like to read it but I don't want to accept the GDPR thing. Could anybody post it as an article please?

What’s this GDPR thing?
      When I select the link the article comes up.
      Keith Singleton
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 16,955 posts | 2706 
      • Sir Lewis Hamilton
      Reply #45: Feb 16, 2019 05:37:28 pm
      What’s this GDPR thing?

It's the new Data protection act that came out last May 2018
      stuey
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 36,004 posts | 3952 
      Reply #46: Feb 16, 2019 07:27:56 pm
      It's the new Data protection act that came out last May 2018

No problem with the link here mate.

what-a-hit-son
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • Started Topic
      • 16,495 posts | 4839 
      Reply #47: Feb 16, 2019 07:47:52 pm

The incredible gesture made by Jamie Carragher to Liverpool fan Sean Cox

Anfield legend was in attendance at fundraising event for Reds supporter

BY IAN DOYLE16:46, 12 FEB 2019UPDATED08:29, 13 FEB 2019

Jamie Carragher has donated £11,000 to the Sean Cox Rehabilitation Trust after taking part in a hugely successful fundraising night in aid of the Liverpool fan.

The 23 Foundation and BOSS Night teamed up to put on a special event at Hinterlands in the Baltic Triangle last Saturday.

Kop legend Carragher was interviewed on stage by Daily Mirror and former ECHO journalist Brian Reade, and there was also live music from Jamie Webster in front of a 500-strong sell-out crowd.

Have Bayern Munich given away how they will line up against Liverpool in the Champions League?

The night raised £11,000, an amount Carragher has now doubled out of his own pocket.

Carragher also took to the stage to join in renditions of 'Allez Allez Allez' and the popular fan chant saluting Virgil van Dijk to the tune of 'Dirty Old Town'.

And he joked the record contract offers have since been flooding in.

"If you're having a night out, you've got to do it properly!" laughed Carragher. "I don't mind getting up singing, I've been doing it for years.

"Simon Cowell has been on and Tom Jones has spun round in his chair! But it was good fun.

Have Bayern Munich given away how they will line up against Liverpool in the Champions League?

"It was a great night, but the important thing is we are doing all we can to help Sean Cox and his family.

"What happened before the Roma game, it could have happened to absolutely anyone. It happened in tragic circumstances. We want to do our bit to help."

Carragher is hopeful of appearing in a fundraising match to be held in Dublin on Friday, April 12 between Liverpool Legends and Republic of Ireland Legends.

The Sean Cox Rehabilitation Trust is in place to collect and administer funds for the care of the father-of-three from Dunboyne, Co Meath, Republic of Ireland. He was left in a coma after being attacked prior to last April's Champions League semi-final first leg against Roma.

A number of Sean's relatives and members from St Peter Dunboyne GAA were in attendance at the event on Saturday.

Echo

FATKOPITE10
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 14,406 posts | 3404 
      • Liverpool fc give me tourettes
      Reply #48: Feb 16, 2019 08:39:47 pm
      What’s this GDPR thing?

GDPR is the old east germany
      stuey
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 36,004 posts | 3952 
      Reply #49: Feb 16, 2019 09:39:37 pm

Like they have guntowers taking out  link downloader, b***ard communists. 😃
      what-a-hit-son
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • Started Topic
      • 16,495 posts | 4839 
      Reply #50: Feb 12, 2021 12:30:38 pm
      The Carra we all love, not the Sky Sports Carra that some dislike on the excellent Straight From The Off podcast which focuses on the amateur football scene in Liverpool.

Excellent stuff this

https://podcasts.google.com/?feed=aHR0cHM6Ly9mZWVkcy5zaW1wbGVjYXN0LmNvbS9KVWhoVWFKNQ&ep=14&episode=ZTU3OTFhYTQtN2ExMi00YmM0LThmYWEtMzBjYjQyYzNjNjcz
      Swab
      • Forum Legend - Paisley

• 13,361 posts | 3462 
      Reply #51: Feb 12, 2021 01:52:57 pm
      The Carra we all love, not the Sky Sports Carra that some dislike on the excellent Straight From The Off podcast which focuses on the amateur football scene in Liverpool.

Excellent stuff this

https://podcasts.google.com/?feed=aHR0cHM6Ly9mZWVkcy5zaW1wbGVjYXN0LmNvbS9KVWhoVWFKNQ&ep=14&episode=ZTU3OTFhYTQtN2ExMi00YmM0LThmYWEtMzBjYjQyYzNjNjcz

Sky pay him to do a job.
      They don't pay him to be a Liverpool cheerleader.

Think some people need to understand that.

Yeah, he comes out with some sh*te at times, but again that's what he's paid to do.
      I don't have any issues with his punditry.
      TameImpala
      • Forum Legend - Benitez

• 2,269 posts | 1216 
      • He's five foot seven, he's football heaven
      Reply #52: Feb 12, 2021 01:53:07 pm

Excellent stuff this

Will have to give that a listen. He is funny as F**k when he's talking normally and not having to toe the Sky Sports line.

Love that story he told (I think it was on Colin Murray's podcast) about after he won the Champions League. A young family friend from Bootle was pestering Carra's dad to try and take his Champions League medal into school so they could show the class. Carra's dad agreed and said he'd get it off Jamie and pass it through. A few days passed by and the lad asks again, but Carra's dad said he'd already posted it through the letterbox. The lad gets home and there's a rolled up Kwicky bag which had been by the shoes for days which he just presumed was empty. Opens it up and there's a F***ing European Cup winners medal inside  :lmao:
      what-a-hit-son
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • Started Topic
      • 16,495 posts | 4839 
      Reply #53: Feb 12, 2021 02:16:22 pm
      They don't pay him to be a Liverpool cheerleader

I didn't say they did.

Some people don't like Sky Carra. You don't mind it.

Well done.
      Swab
      • Forum Legend - Paisley

• 13,361 posts | 3462 
      Reply #54: Feb 12, 2021 02:29:08 pm
      I didn't say they did.

Some people don't like Sky Carra. You don't mind it.

Well done.

Yeah, it wasn't an accusation fella, it was an observation.
      Y'know like a conversation.
      what-a-hit-son
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • Started Topic
      • 16,495 posts | 4839 
      Reply #55: Feb 12, 2021 02:41:29 pm
      Yeah, it wasn't an accusation fella, it was an observation.
      Y'know like a conversation.

Oh.

Hi. How are you? Cold out, isn't it?
      Swab
      • Forum Legend - Paisley

• 13,361 posts | 3462 
      Reply #56: Feb 12, 2021 02:44:18 pm
      Oh.

Hi. How are you? Cold out, isn't it?

How am I?

Getting worse by the second.
      HScRed1
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 20,182 posts | 4404 
      Reply #57: Feb 21, 2021 12:57:09 am
      Showing his true blue colours recently.
      JD
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 39,629 posts | 6940 
      Reply #58: Feb 21, 2021 01:07:58 am
      Whole Sky team, commentators and pundits are a huge bunch of bellends.

At some point they will completely merge into WWF commentators from the 90s.

Post pandemic I hope fans get the option of zero in game commentary and just crowd noise.
      Dadorious

• 9,882 posts | 1545 
      Reply #59: Feb 21, 2021 11:44:01 am
      Making a tw*t of himself.
      chats
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 31,337 posts | 2816 
      Reply #60: Feb 21, 2021 11:58:40 am

Post pandemic I hope fans get the option of zero in game commentary and just crowd noise.

Unbearable now really. Hurts a bit more when it's one of your own in Carra being the tw*t as well.

Amazon are the only decent ones right now. BT are shocking as well with 'Fletch and Macca'.
      HUYTON RED
      • Forum Legend - Shankly

• 40,164 posts | 8548 
      Reply #61: Feb 21, 2021 12:10:59 pm
      Reminds me of older scousers that used to say "I support both teams"
      sore monad
      • Forum Legend - Benitez

• 2,012 posts | 523 
      Reply #62: Feb 21, 2021 02:19:37 pm
      Think his true colours emerged when he spat on that kid. Don't know how he kept his pundit job after that. Mind you Sky have a history of putting up with cuntish behaviour from their old boys' club of gobshites.
      srslfc
      • Forum Legend - Shankly

• 32,218 posts | 4919 
      Reply #63: Feb 21, 2021 05:42:11 pm

Hard to listen to any of them.
      shabbadoo
      • Forum Legend - Shankly

• 29,428 posts | 4582 
      Reply #64: Feb 22, 2021 10:56:25 pm
      Keith Singleton
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 16,955 posts | 2706 
      • Sir Lewis Hamilton
      Reply #65: Feb 23, 2021 08:20:43 am
      Think his true colours emerged when he spat on that kid. Don't know how he kept his pundit job after that. Mind you Sky have a history of putting up with cuntish behaviour from their old boys' club of gobshites.

I posted long time ago re spitting incident that he wasn't getting the sack but was on his last warning. Since then his actions have been yes sir! No sir! 3  bags full sir! 

Taking into account of covid and diversity ( new jobs ) in football he's hanging on by a tight rope.
      David Wright
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 5,291 posts | 763 
      Reply #66: Feb 23, 2021 10:19:15 am
      Seemingly no real loyalty, to his old club. It is a matter of kick a dog, when a dog is down. Enjoy your spell with Sky it will not last forever !
      brezipool
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 9,521 posts | 1768 
      • Mon the Red Machine !
      Reply #67: Feb 23, 2021 10:23:37 am
      I prefer the darren farley version of him now. ;D
      Brian78
      • Forum Legend - Paisley

• 19,202 posts | 2799 
      • A Liverbird upon my chest
      Reply #68: Feb 23, 2021 10:43:45 am
      Whats he said thats out of order?
      Klopps Snood
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 1,653 posts | 1586 
      • CHAMPI9NS
      Reply #69: Feb 24, 2021 08:44:38 pm
      JC needs to remember who made him into the player he became and who paid his massive wages.
      heimdall
      • Forum Legend - Paisley

• 13,818 posts | 2724 
      Reply #70: Feb 24, 2021 08:51:01 pm
      heimdall
      • Forum Legend - Paisley

• 13,818 posts | 2724 
      Reply #71: Feb 24, 2021 08:52:51 pm
      JC needs to remember who made him into the player he became and who paid his massive wages.

what does that mean, should he be saying Liverpool are amazing after losing 4 home games on the bounce. Is Souness out of order as well then?

I fail to see what he has done wrong, he is pointing out the team is currently crap, I agree.
      Frankly, Mr Shankly
      • Forum Legend - Fagan

• 4,037 posts | 2091 
      Reply #72: Feb 24, 2021 08:59:34 pm

He and all his punditry peers should take a look at Hansen and how he did it. He always managed to hit the right tone in his analysis without banging on like a stuck record and over doing it. The likes of Carra, McManaman, Neville... they need to learn how to shut the f**k up. Big gobs the lot of them but that's all.
      shabbadoo
      • Forum Legend - Shankly

• 29,428 posts | 4582 
      Reply #73: Feb 24, 2021 09:38:10 pm
      what does that mean, should he be saying Liverpool are amazing after losing 4 home games on the bounce. Is Souness out of order as well then?

I fail to see what he has done wrong, he is pointing out the team is currently crap, I agree.

How many games have lost in 3 seasons..?
      rossyred

• 9,280 posts | 1663 
      Reply #74: Feb 24, 2021 09:43:54 pm
      Why do people get so precious when constructive criticism  is given out . Listen to what he says he ain't excusing injuries for our overall season but in certain games at home we should have had enough to win those games
      Keith Singleton
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 16,955 posts | 2706 
      • Sir Lewis Hamilton
      Reply #75: Feb 24, 2021 09:50:08 pm
      He and all his punditry peers should take a look at Hansen and how he did it. He always managed to hit the right tone in his analysis without banging on like a stuck record and over doing it. The likes of Carra, McManaman, Neville... they need to learn how to shut the f**k up. Big gobs the lot of them but that's all.

What happened to Hansen.
      Klopps Snood
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 1,653 posts | 1586 
      • CHAMPI9NS
      Reply #76: Feb 24, 2021 10:16:29 pm

Not at all, but there's a way to get your point across without being so far up Sky's arse and being a yes person.

Like FMS says, Alan Hansen knew exactly how to get his point across without slagging the team off when they've been absolutely faultless for almost 3 seasons, a little bit of loyalty wouldn't go amiss, but maybe that's far too complicated for you to grasp.
      rossyred

• 9,280 posts | 1663 
      Reply #77: Feb 24, 2021 10:21:28 pm

Went off the boil after Mmmbop
      Scotia
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 8,970 posts | 3054 
      Reply #78: Feb 24, 2021 10:35:29 pm
      Not at all, but there's a way to get your point across without being so far up Sky's arse and being a yes person.

Like FMS says, Alan Hansen knew exactly how to get his point across without slagging the team off when they've been absolutely faultless for almost 3 seasons, a little bit of loyalty wouldn't go amiss, but maybe that's far too complicated for you to grasp.

He's awful just now Cas. Was on the lad Kabak like a harbour shark on Saturday. I thought it was disgusting.

Hes bending so far over backwards he can wave goodbye to his dinner while eating his brekkie .....
      Klopps Snood
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 1,653 posts | 1586 
      • CHAMPI9NS
      Reply #79: Feb 24, 2021 10:41:44 pm
      He's awful just now Cas. Was on the lad Kabak like a harbour shark on Saturday. I thought it was disgusting.

Hes bending so far over backwards he can wave goodbye to his dinner while eating his brekkie .....

Is right hun.
      what-a-hit-son
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • Started Topic
      • 16,495 posts | 4839 
      Reply #80: Feb 24, 2021 11:48:40 pm

😄
      Jimsouse67

• 9,474 posts | 1474 
      Reply #81: Feb 25, 2021 08:08:43 pm
      Probably had the foresight to see which  way punditry was heading ( down the bog) & thought f**k that I’m off to the golf course.
      Frankly, Mr Shankly
      • Forum Legend - Fagan

• 4,037 posts | 2091 
      Reply #82: Feb 25, 2021 08:36:54 pm

Think he said he gave it up, partly because he'd been doing it a long time and also he admitted a few years back that he suffered from anxiety before doing TV (apparently he'd be sick as anything in the dressing room before matches as well). He's very much missed. Classy and respectful.
      Keith Singleton
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 16,955 posts | 2706 
      • Sir Lewis Hamilton
      Reply #83: Feb 25, 2021 09:59:55 pm
      Think he said he gave it up, partly because he'd been doing it a long time and also he admitted a few years back that he suffered from anxiety before doing TV (apparently he'd be sick as anything in the dressing room before matches as well). He's very much missed. Classy and respectful.

Yeah I always liked listening him too. You scousers do breed  a couple of good pundits, none better than Souness though.  ;D
      shabbadoo
      • Forum Legend - Shankly

• 29,428 posts | 4582 
      Reply #84: May 14, 2021 11:39:26 am
      Has Carra & Fowler bought Melwood..?
      brezipool
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 9,521 posts | 1768 
      • Mon the Red Machine !
      Reply #85: May 14, 2021 11:46:53 am

Seems to be collaboration with lots of different folk.
      HUYTON RED
      • Forum Legend - Shankly

• 40,164 posts | 8548 
      Reply #86: May 16, 2021 01:06:45 pm

Jamie Carragher and Robbie Fowler tell Melwood stories as vision for former Liverpool training ground revealed

EXCLUSIVE: The ECHO sits down with Jamie Carragher and Robbie Fowler as they team up to use Melwood as the base for their new joint-academy

Jamie Carragher says both he and Robbie Fowler take immense pride from having their new venture associated with the iconic Melwood.

The Liverpool legends have teamed up to create an academy that will be housed at the famous site in West Derby alongside swimming and gymnastic clubs from Merseyside Olympians Steve Parry and Beth Tweddle.

The Fowler-Carragher Academy will take on operational responsibility for the existing building with Melwood set to become the home for a college that will provide opportunities for young people across the Liverpool City Region.

After partnering with affordable housing company, Torus, Carragher and Fowler were present at a press conference at Melwood on Friday to officially welcome in the new venture.     

Carragher said: "We were coming together as an academy and then the situation with Melwood obviously popped up.

"It just gets the juices flowing, doesn't it?

"It's not playing at Anfield but we both probably came here from eight or nine years of age, really. Robbie spent such a long time here and I spent my whole career here.

"This was the place that we come to every day and this gives us an opportunity to do that as often now.

"But hopefully younger people coming into the academy now can have those same memories that we had.

"There will be some houses and it won't be exactly the same, but it's Melwood, it's iconic, you say that word and everyone knows what it means around the world really.

"For us to be a part of the future of Melwood rather than just the past, with the memories and stories we can tell...it goes back a lot further than us, we know that.

"It started with Bill Shankly, so for us to be involved with it is something that I think we should be really proud of.

"It's not just football, Melwood will always be synonymous with Liverpool Football Club."

The ECHO sat down with Fowler and Carragher after the press conference to talk through their memories of the famous Melwood site.

How special is it to have your names attached to the iconic Melwood, helping the next generation of young people in the region?

Carragher : "It's very special, it really is.

"And for us, as players, I wouldn't say we took Melwood for granted, but it was a workplace. It's only when you leave and you go that you realise there's a history here and you've been a part of that yourself.

"It is special and whenever you come back you do get those feelings back again. Now that we're sort of back and just popping in to see how things are going, you can't help but just think back to the past and your time through to obviously Bill Shankly's days.

"That is something that can keep Melwood going, but going forward this enterprise can too and it will also keep a lot of the fabric here of Melwood and what it was about and also that it will never be forgotten."

Can you remember your early days here?

Fowler : "We used to play at the Vernon Sangster and we'd obviously come down to Melwood to play a few times a season and you just remember it being open and green. You trained in whatever kit you had on these pitches, because it wasn't all in the same kit then.

"What I remember most about it was, you look at academies now and there are load of staff on the books to look after the kids, we only had like three staff members. We had Dave Shannon, Steve Heighway and Hughie McAuley who were looking after every single kid.

"They must have been absolutely shattered!

"That's the way it was years ago, so just coming in and training with them and load of other kids, doing lots of skills and we very rarely played games to be honest with you, but it was the more technical aspects of learning to be a footballer.

So who were you trying to impress when you used to come down from the Vernon Sangster?

Fowler : "I think you wanted to impress the other players to be honest and that was always the case for me. You didn't play many games and I don't really remember playing many games until I was about 13 or 14.

"It was just a case of wanting to be as good as the lads you trained with and you wanted to impress your team-mates.

Carragher : "It was the same for me. Don't forget you come to Liverpool and you're obviously the best in the school or Liverpool Boys or Bootle Boys, but when you go to a football club, it's another level up.

"So it's OK thinking you're the best in your school team or whatever but there are different levels and you are not sure of every kid in the city. So that is a good barometer of where you are as a player, really.

"And then once you get there, of course you want to impress the coaches. Steve Heighway was a big figure, the figurehead of the youth teams really and you always wanted to impress him basically, an ex-Liverpool player with an authority about him that made you jump as a young kid.

"That was the best way to be for a young kid at that age, so I would agree with Robbie, you work out where you are in the group and then obviously there was Steve Heighway.

From progressing through from youngsters to being established stars...when other players signed for the club, was their first day at Melwood always looked at intensely to see who was going to cut it and who wasn't?

Fowler: "I think that's a normal, thing in football, so regardless of how good you are or how good you think you are, clubs and teams are always bringing in new players, so you are always comparing yourself to them and you are always hoping that you are better than them.

"I think you've always got to have that self-confidence that you are but it's not until you get into training at Melwood that you would see what they were all about.

"Then it is a case of transforming your career where you have gone from trying to impress your team-mates and all of a sudden you are impressing the coaches that little bit more than the players and I think that's a normal thing, isn't it?

Carragher : "Yeah, I think when the club brings a new player in, if he's not in your position, you hope he's brilliant. If he's in your position, you hope he's f****** s****!

"No, I'm joking, but you can't deny that. Thankfully there were some s**** full-backs who come in!

The name Melwood is known throughout football and there's not too many training grounds that are as famous, it's a name that reverberates across football.

Fowler: "I think that's just because of the success of the football club. Look at the great players that have been here and the trophies that have been won. Everyone knows the history and the tradition.

"The elements of tactics and the technical elements to winning games, it all started here.

"I think that is probably what is was with Liverpool and Melwood, the fact that the club has been unbelievably successful, you always think that these players have been here and this is where it all started.

Carragher : "I think it's special as well in that there's not many, certainly now, training grounds that are in an area like this with terraced houses around. It did feel a big part of the community and it still is, so hopefully we can provide that.

"I think a training ground has always got that mystique because supporters don't always see what goes on inside of it.

"They see what happens when you play at Anfield but they don't see what happens when Bill Shankly, Bob Paisley, Joe Fagan and Ronnie Moran were doing on a day-to-day basis here. As I said, it has got a mystique to its name and hopefully we can keep that name going.

Going forward now, on top of being a place of sporting excellence, it's going to be a place for education and potentially jobs for the future generations and it's a very special venture that you're undertaking...

Carragher : "It is and I think we might be the 'big names' of it, but there is a lot more to it than that. Beth Tweddle, Steve Parry, there are other sides of it as well, the education aspect is a huge element of that.

"Of course there is the sporting side of it but you also want people to come out with their education boosted, BTecs, A Levels, whatever it may be. I think Brian McGorry (FEFA college principal) mentioned how many people had gone to university and scholarships as well.

"So it is an all-round thing and maybe we are the names of it, if you like, but there is a lot more to it, so that is why I think it could have a long lasting legacy.

Fowler : "I think this is a goosebumps moment. We're obviously here and part of the fabric that has been Melwood with some of the great players that have played here.

"We are part of that, we have a history here, now we can keep this history and keep the tradition going. I just mentioned goosebumps but every kid who comes through here now, whether it is just to have a look around or whether it is to be involved in the educational side of it, it's a goosebump moment for them too because they will know and understand what has been here before them."

https://www.google.com/amp/s/www.liverpoolecho.co.uk/sport/football/football-news/jamie-carragher-robbie-fowler-tell-20601178.amp
      waltonl4
      • Forum Legend - Shankly

• 37,585 posts | 7139 
      Reply #87: May 16, 2021 02:36:45 pm
      it should become a museum nothing else makes sense.
      L4.19Times
      • Forum Roger Hunt

• 493 posts | 149 
      Reply #88: May 16, 2021 02:38:09 pm
      it should become a museum nothing else makes sense.

Why?

Two ex players and legends trying to give local kids chances through their academies ? I can’t see anything bad in that
      waltonl4
      • Forum Legend - Shankly

• 37,585 posts | 7139 
      Reply #89: May 18, 2021 10:18:05 pm
      because of who has passed through those gates for decades it should be a shrine. No problem with using part of it for kids but just to demolish that history is pure thuggery.
      L4.19Times
      • Forum Roger Hunt

• 493 posts | 149 
      Reply #90: May 18, 2021 10:23:33 pm
      because of who has passed through those gates for decades it should be a shrine. No problem with using part of it for kids but just to demolish that history is pure thuggery.

They're hardly demolishing the history though are they?

To be honest had they not took it on it would more likely the land sold off for houses

Only a good thing they're doing in my opinion
      waltonl4
      • Forum Legend - Shankly

• 37,585 posts | 7139 
      Reply #91: May 18, 2021 10:37:54 pm
      Every inch of Melwood is steeped in History housing would have been a complete tragedy. Just think of the players and manager who have gone through those gates its every bit as important to our history as Anfield
      Lallana in Pyjamas
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 12,897 posts | 3394 
      Reply #92: Jan 28, 2022 11:41:53 am
      HUYTON RED
      • Forum Legend - Shankly

• 40,164 posts | 8548 
      Reply #93: Jan 21, 2023 07:16:12 pm
      HUYTON RED
      • Forum Legend - Shankly

• 40,164 posts | 8548 
      Reply #94: Jan 26, 2023 12:31:10 am
      dunlop liddell shankly
      • 2009 LFC quiz champion (now to be known as "Kate")
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 21,008 posts | 3352 
      Reply #95: Jan 28, 2023 12:42:19 pm
      45 today!

Quick Reply