Trending Topics

Next match: Everton v LFC [Premier League] Wed 24th Apr @ 8:00 pm - Pre Match Topic
      Goodison Park

Today is the 24th of April and on this date LFC's match record is P25 W10 D8 L7

LFC Reds Poll

Q. LFC Man of the Match?

Simon Mignolet
      0 (0%)
      Nathaniel Clyne
      1 (1.1%)
      Dejan Lovren
      26 (28.6%)
      Martin Skrtel
      3 (3.3%)
      Alberto Moreno
      22 (24.2%)
      Lucas Leiva
      3 (3.3%)
      Joe Allen
      6 (6.6%)
      James Milner
      4 (4.4%)
      Roberto Firmino
      1 (1.1%)
      Jordon Ibe
      22 (24.2%)
      Christian Benteke
      0 (0%)
      Daniel Sturridge
      0 (0%)
      Adam Lallana
      3 (3.3%)
      Divock Origi
      0 (0%)

Total Members Voted: 88

Voting closed: Dec 10, 2015 06:16:09 pm

Newcastle Utd 2-0 Liverpool: In game and Post Match debate

Read 33312 times
      JD
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 39,608 posts | 6930 
      Re: Newcastle Utd 2-0 Liverpool: In game and Post Match debate
      Reply #598: Dec 07, 2015 03:17:57 pm
      Its the unwritten rule that you play your best 11 available. We didn't.

Hendo, Lallana and Sturridge all should have started despite a lack of match practice for two of them. The game on Thursday was the time to rest players considering we are already through to the knockout rounds.

Disagree. 

Henderson had a minor injury scare and Sturridge, who is only just on his way back, was hardly Pele when he came on.

Moreno's goal gets given and we probably go on to win that.
      waltonl4
      • Forum Legend - Shankly

• 37,585 posts | 7139 
      Reply #599: Dec 07, 2015 03:31:05 pm
      Its the unwritten rule that you play your best 11 available. We didn't.

Hendo, Lallana and Sturridge all should have started despite a lack of match practice for two of them. The game on Thursday was the time to rest players considering we are already through to the knockout rounds.

isn't it now called a squad game although for me the strongest team is the team that just won the last game 6-1.
      bigmick
      • Forum Legend - Paisley

• 10,078 posts | 2767 
      Reply #600: Dec 07, 2015 03:41:04 pm
      All this "play your strongest team" stuff is bollocks. For sure if you have a cup final or a title decider and the season finishes tomorrow, you put your best eleven out. When you've got games coming thick and fast though and players who are barely back from injury, you have to manage the situation with a little bit more guile.

All that said, I do think Jürgen made too many changes. Can obviously had to change, Randal as well. Other than that, I'd have been tempted to go with only one more change at the most.
      KopiteLuke
      • Forum Legend - Shankly

• 21,056 posts | 3784 
      Reply #601: Dec 07, 2015 04:03:42 pm
      Guys this was Newcastle United, Klopp was right to rotate because it will save injuries and fitness for the entire group, if our squad isn't strong enough to be able to rotate against a team in the relegation zone that should and did highlight the problem we currently have and exactly why it's been suggested that we will struggle to mount challenges on all fronts this season.

Does he abandon the EL or the League Cup? No he treats them with respect as we've asked and lauded him for so I can forgive him for attempting to get a rest in here, especially to the likes of Sturridge and Can.

It's funny some are suggesting we shouldn't rotate when the first team consisted of so many players that are also suggested to be good enough, the simple answer is they're not.
      racerx34
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 33,601 posts | 3841 
      • THE SALT IN THE SOUP
      Reply #602: Dec 07, 2015 04:15:33 pm
      Sturridge made of glass.
      Can suspended.
      Henderson only back from injury.
      Coutinho still out injured.
      Sahko still out injured.

Plenty of reasons to freshen things up against Newcastle.
      Like some have said, if Moreno's goal had correctly stood
      then LFC go on to win that game.

That's football.
      That's all it is.
      waltonl4
      • Forum Legend - Shankly

• 37,585 posts | 7139 
      Reply #603: Dec 07, 2015 04:31:10 pm
      to be fair after beating City and Chelsea and then thumping Soton 6=1 away it was impossible not to get excited and to raise expectations and we were always likely to come unstuck too. I am over it now I blame myself partially for not listening to my own words about bumps in the road etc. So for the rest of this season unless we make some spectacular signings in January its going to be a bit like this.
      reddebs
      • "LFC Hipster"
      • Forum Legend - Paisley

• 17,980 posts | 2264 
      Reply #604: Dec 07, 2015 04:34:16 pm
      Just read that we had 124 misplaced passes yesterday, the most we've had in any game in the last 5 years.
      JD
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 39,608 posts | 6930 
      Reply #605: Dec 07, 2015 04:35:23 pm
      Just read that we had 124 misplaced passes yesterday, the most we've had in any game in the last 5 years.

Misplaced pass every 40 odd seconds?  Grim.
      HamannsTheMan
      • Forum Legend - Fagan

• 3,030 posts | 1973 
      Reply #606: Dec 07, 2015 04:46:10 pm

Yes. I think he got his team horribly wrong yesterday. I said so before kick off
      HamannsTheMan
      • Forum Legend - Fagan

• 3,030 posts | 1973 
      Reply #607: Dec 07, 2015 04:51:07 pm
      Disagree. 

Henderson had a minor injury scare and Sturridge, who is only just on his way back, was hardly Pele when he came on.

Moreno's goal gets given and we probably go on to win that.

Might not have been pele but he had more attempts at goal than benteke did.

Fluffed one with his right foot where he should have took a touch (Lallana played him in) and he had a shot from 20-25 yards out too. One or two other half chances as well.

We are more of a threat with Danny upfront that's just fact and I think we should have started him and brought him off once the game was won - like Southampton.
      HamannsTheMan
      • Forum Legend - Fagan

• 3,030 posts | 1973 
      Reply #608: Dec 07, 2015 04:53:38 pm
      isn't it now called a squad game although for me the strongest team is the team that just won the last game 6-1.

I don't understand why he took two forwards out who scored five goals between them on Wednesday and replaced them with a striker who slows our attack right down to the point we struggle to score goals whenever he plays
      MIRO
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 12,989 posts | 3124 
      • Trust The Universe
      Reply #609: Dec 07, 2015 05:07:19 pm

They nobbled the pitch Debs ...those Geordies.
      Canee trust em pet
      reddebs
      • "LFC Hipster"
      • Forum Legend - Paisley

• 17,980 posts | 2264 
      Reply #610: Dec 07, 2015 05:17:19 pm
      They nobbled the pitch Debs ...those Geordies.
      Canee trust em pet

They nobbled something Skip.
      Claudio
      • Forum Paul Ince

• 82 posts |
      Reply #611: Dec 07, 2015 05:27:46 pm
      Yes. I think he got his team horribly wrong yesterday. I said so before kick off

So did I. I wasn't too confident, but how is it his fault? Hendo and Sturridge are clearly not totally fit at the moment, neither was Coutinho yesterday, and Can was suspended. I'd rather lose a game than play a player who's not fit and worsen their injury.
      waltonl4
      • Forum Legend - Shankly

• 37,585 posts | 7139 
      Reply #612: Dec 07, 2015 06:37:32 pm
      I don't understand why he took two forwards out who scored five goals between them on Wednesday and replaced them with a striker who slows our attack right down to the point we struggle to score goals whenever he plays

I assume Sturridge should be fit enough to at least start at the weekend so the team selection will be interesting
      sore monad
      • Forum Legend - Benitez

• 2,007 posts | 523 
      Reply #613: Dec 07, 2015 06:47:21 pm
      Jürgen was right to shuffle the pack, there was nothing wrong with that team selection.

We just had a day were too many players were off their game - Firmino was anonymous, Benteke wasnt forceful enough, and Lucas had forgotten how to pass the ball.
      On top of that, Newcastle decided to put in their most committed performance of the season, and actually defended well. Plus we had a perfectly good goal chalked off.

One of those days.
      Disappointing, but we still didnt play as badly as the scoreline suggested ( same as we didnt play as well as the scoreline suggested against Southampton).

I still think we will be in the top 4 in a month.

(PS the one thing that really enraged me in the game was seeing Moreno go in to close a man down with his hands behind his back. Thought he'd stopped that. Hope Jürgen puts a rocket up him for that - drives me up the F***ing wall!)
      Claudio
      • Forum Paul Ince

• 82 posts |
      Reply #614: Dec 07, 2015 06:47:47 pm
      It's still a wide open league lads, a lot of teams are struggling to win games, even Manchester City lost to Stoke City and Manchester United didn't manage to beat West Ham so it's a wide open league this season, I still think we can finally win it 26 years later. That being said, if we can't beat Newcastle United without Sturridge, Henderson and Coutinho it means that we'll struggle a lot until Klopp signs new quality players who can win us games when those 3 need to rest, because there's no way those 3 players can play 3 games a week.
      siavashiva
      • Forum Emlyn Hughes

• 811 posts | 113 
      Reply #615: Dec 07, 2015 07:19:13 pm
      « Last Edit: Dec 07, 2015 08:45:43 pm by JD »
      7-King Kenny-7
      • Lives on Sesame Street
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 44,014 posts | 5760 
      • You'll Never Walk Alone!
      Reply #616: Dec 07, 2015 08:01:40 pm
      Disgraceful, was like watching a performance under Rodgers. Our midfield was badly missing Coutinho and Can who have flourished since Klopp came in. Allen was once again his pointless self, Milner couldn't create anything to save his life and Lucas was giving away fouls (usually after Allen was running in his way). Firmino was crap again and Benteke couldn't look less interested if he tried, missed an absolute sitter too.

Ibe looked good and we were unlucky to have a goal wrongly ruled out.

A string of good results ended with the team letting themselves down. At least Klopp didn't sugar coat it and give it the bullshit Rodgers used to. Not good enough and it's refreshing to see our manager to come out and say so.
      MIRO
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 12,989 posts | 3124 
      • Trust The Universe
      Reply #617: Dec 07, 2015 08:10:57 pm
      Disgraceful, was like watching a performance under Rodgers. Our midfield was badly missing Coutinho and Can who have flourished since Klopp came in. Allen was once again his pointless self, Milner couldn't create anything to save his life and Lucas was giving away fouls (usually after Allen was running in his way). Firmino was crap again and Benteke couldn't look less interested if he tried, missed an absolute sitter too.

A string of good results ended with the team letting themselves down. At least Klopp didn't sugar coat it and give it the bullshit Rodgers used to. Not good enough and it's refreshing to see our manager to come out and say so.

Agreed.
      waltonl4
      • Forum Legend - Shankly

• 37,585 posts | 7139 
      Reply #618: Dec 07, 2015 08:26:39 pm

I thought Ibe looked really good early on but being young he seemed to lose confidence as the game went on and things started to array
      6stringer
      • Forum Legend - Benitez

• 2,051 posts | 517 
      Reply #619: Dec 07, 2015 09:13:50 pm
      I thought Ibe looked really good early on but being young he seemed to lose confidence as the game went on and things started to array

Newcastle had three men on him as soon as he got the ball.. It was the runs of Clyne on the overflow which should have produced a goal early on as he had two great sprinting runs which came to nothing..

We lost the game in midfield.. Lucas, Allen and Milner kept getting in each others way as they were all playing either too deep or just lost possession far too easily..
      Lucas's frustrating afternoon was summed up when (I think) he kicked the ball out of play to trigger Studge coming on as there was no movement up top at all...
      By all means play Benteke on his own up front but we have to supply him with crosses and I didn't see any at all.. saying that he should have scored from 3 yards out.. it was harder to put it over the bar !! jeez !

Ah well f**k it.. Jürgen is still adapting to life in the Premier League and he will have learnt a lot from that performance, one of which is that the teams in the bottom half will always treat games against Liverpool like being in a cup final...

GERNS
      • Forum Legend - Paisley

• 12,310 posts | 1521 
      Reply #620: Dec 07, 2015 10:32:07 pm
      Jürgen was right to shuffle the pack, there was nothing wrong with that team selection.

There was........  It had Benteke in it.

I try to like the fella, and he has scored a few beauties for us, but he just doesn't seem to fit in to this system, especially up front on his own.
      Occasional glimpses of brilliance, is not enough without consistency, and consistency he certainly doesn't have.
      He is quite slow, and his movement is limited, as well as his 'defending from the front'
      I know he would fit straight in to Newcastles system thats for sure.
      Also Allen, one really good game against Saints. A few o.k. sort of games, but mostly he's too easily pushed off the ball and is forced to go sideways and backwards to retain possession. Not attacking or cutting enough for me.
      Wasn't a great fan of Origi, but his attitude alone shows he should have started, and probably Lallana ahead of Allen. That would have given us a bit more movement and dynamics.
      Only my humble opinion though.   :)

Quick Reply