Trending Topics

Next match: Fulham v LFC [Premier League] Sun 21st Apr @ 4:30 pm
      Craven Cottage

Today is the 20th of April and on this date LFC's match record is P31 W17 D7 L7

LFC Reds Poll

Q. LFC Man of the Match?

Simon Mignolet
      0 (0%)
      Nathaniel Clyne
      1 (1.1%)
      Dejan Lovren
      26 (28.6%)
      Martin Skrtel
      3 (3.3%)
      Alberto Moreno
      22 (24.2%)
      Lucas Leiva
      3 (3.3%)
      Joe Allen
      6 (6.6%)
      James Milner
      4 (4.4%)
      Roberto Firmino
      1 (1.1%)
      Jordon Ibe
      22 (24.2%)
      Christian Benteke
      0 (0%)
      Daniel Sturridge
      0 (0%)
      Adam Lallana
      3 (3.3%)
      Divock Origi
      0 (0%)

Total Members Voted: 88

Voting closed: Dec 10, 2015 06:16:09 pm

Newcastle Utd 2-0 Liverpool: In game and Post Match debate

Read 33298 times
      Dadorious
      • Forum Legend - Dalglish

• 9,882 posts | 1545 
      Re: Newcastle Utd 2-0 Liverpool: In game and Post Match debate
      Reply #621: Dec 07, 2015 10:57:09 pm
      I think Milner would have misplaced about 30 of those 124 passes on his own.

Benteke puts away that tap in and we go on to thump them was not meant to be. Biggest positive is Jürgen confirming exactly what a lot have said on the forum and pin pointing where we fell short. I assure it won't happen again.
      Claudio
      • Forum Paul Ince

• 82 posts |
      Reply #622: Dec 07, 2015 11:08:12 pm

I disagree. Looks like the guy only plays for himself, not for the team... which is a shame, I expect much more from a player like him who's got good potential... he did have the opportunity to assist Benteke, but as always he'd rather lose the ball than pass it and help the team. He's not even that good at dribbling...
      crouchinho
      • Forum Legend - Shankly
      • Started Topic

• 42,508 posts | 2620 
      • TU TA LOUCO? FILHO DA PUTA!
      Reply #623: Dec 08, 2015 06:06:10 am
      Well it's been a few days to calm down and gather my thoughts on the game, so here goes:

F***ing w**ker sh*t F***ing cu*ts. F***ing ARGHHHHHHHHHHERKGEWRLKGH EW!! F***ing sh*t. F***ing lost to that F***ing half-headed dim-wit Mclaren. Just F***ing sh*t.

On to the Europa League...
      RobieSlick
      • Forum Legend - Fagan

• 2,758 posts | 259 
      Reply #624: Dec 08, 2015 06:12:19 am
      Jürgen was right to shuffle the pack, there was nothing wrong with that team selection.

We just had a day were too many players were off their game - Firmino was anonymous, Benteke wasnt forceful enough, and Lucas had forgotten how to pass the ball.
      On top of that, Newcastle decided to put in their most committed performance of the season, and actually defended well. Plus we had a perfectly good goal chalked off.

One of those days.
      Disappointing, but we still didnt play as badly as the scoreline suggested ( same as we didnt play as well as the scoreline suggested against Southampton).

I still think we will be in the top 4 in a month.

(PS the one thing that really enraged me in the game was seeing Moreno go in to close a man down with his hands behind his back. Thought he'd stopped that. Hope Jürgen puts a rocket up him for that - drives me up the f**king wall!)

Correct. Jürgen was correct to shuffle his pack - this was Newcastle - remember. Almost the cr@piest team in Pl apart from AV.

Even with most of our players playing cr@p we managed to create some chances (Benteke & Sturridge missed a sitter, Moreno noy allowed a perfectly good goal). We would have won that game had one of them gone in - simples. This was against Newcastle which was playing out of its skin just to stay with us in the game - I say they are still going *down*. They will be back to earth next week.

I am disappointed but I am sure Klopp has learned that
      • * Allen and Milner does not work
      • * Benteke needs a partner up front and not Firmino
      • * Firmino needs a mobile striker with him

Onwards and upwards, I say.
      s@int
      • Forum Legend - Paisley

• 14,987 posts | 2282 
      Reply #625: Dec 08, 2015 06:15:51 am
      Well it's been a few days to calm down and gather my thoughts on the game, so here goes:

F***ing w**ker sh*t F***ing cu*ts. F***ing ARGHHHHHHHHHHERKGEWRLKGH EW!! F***ing sh*t. F***ing lost to that f**king half-headed dim-wit Mclaren. Just f**king sh*t.

Add a few more fuckings and a few more moans and groans and that's exactly how I feel mate.
      billythered
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 10,911 posts | 4979 
      • From Doubters to Champions of the World
      Reply #626: Dec 08, 2015 07:36:11 am

F***ing w**ker sh*t F***ing cu*ts. F***ing ARGHHHHHHHHHHERKGEWRLKGH EW!! F***ing sh*t. F***ing lost to that f**king half-headed dim-wit Mclaren. Just f**king sh*t.

I take it your a Tad annoyed then Crouchy   :)

Me too mate,  like most I thought we would breeze past them,  for me this game is all part of Jürgen's learning curve,  he learnt never again to have a midfield trio of Lucas, Allen and Milner, 
      He also would have taken note that Benteke just doesn’t fit a system that doesn't supply crosses,  he looked like a spare at a whores wedding not for the first time, 
      Brazilian bob was a fish up a tree and Ibe although trying his best was in headless chicken mode,

There was very little cohesion imo,  but put Coutinho, Sturridge and Can in there, there would be instant improvement, 

Some say Klopp fu**ed up with his chosen X1, I disagree there was enough in that side to beat a struggling Newcastle side, they just didn't perform on the day,

Disappointing of course but as this season goes on there will be other bumps to contend with,  just a bad day at the office I'd say.

YNWA
      HamannsTheMan
      • Forum Legend - Fagan

• 3,030 posts | 1973 
      Reply #627: Dec 08, 2015 09:38:34 am
      So did I. I wasn't too confident, but how is it his fault? Hendo and Sturridge are clearly not totally fit at the moment, neither was Coutinho yesterday, and Can was suspended. I'd rather lose a game than play a player who's not fit and worsen their injury.

Its easy for anyone to sit here after a defeat and say 'this player shouldn't have played' or 'we should have gone with this formation'.

But a midfield two of Allen & Lucas has never worked for us and the front four of Benteke, Ibe, Firmino and Milner didn't striker me as having goals in them either. I was worried well before kick off.

You say Sturridge and Henderson aren't fit - then they shouldn't be in the squad then. So why is Jürgen picking injured players to travel? They obviously are fit, but they both need match practice, there is a difference.

I'd have started both on Sunday. We got out ran in midfield and that's where we needed Hendo. We also very noticeably had no quality in the final third and that's where we needed Danny.

Go 2-0 up, bring them both off, keep the ball and see the game out. That would have been my game plan. But like I said its easy to sit here and say that now.

bartman49
      • Forum Legend - Benitez

• 2,157 posts | 37 
      Reply #628: Dec 08, 2015 10:17:55 am
      I just hope this does not impact the next few games because as results go this was worse than any Rogers game under Rogers we had come to expect it almost every game but fair play to Klopp he had us believing again and that's why this hurts so much, maybe we are still to near to the Rogers era that a result like this has had such a devastating impact, one part of me says Klopp will never have such a poor game again but again I come back to Rogers it has only been a few weeks since he was removed so should we not expect a slip up now and then this is a Rogers team and it will be interesting to watch Klopp rebuild his team his way only then will we be able to judge him and until a few windows have gone by we must expect an occasional slip up. 
      waltonl4
      • Forum Legend - Shankly

• 37,585 posts | 7139 
      Reply #629: Dec 08, 2015 12:41:06 pm
      maybe its a sign of how our outlook has changed that we are so shocked by the defeat. I am over it and I look forward to seeing how we deal with W.Brom at home
      brezipool
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 9,503 posts | 1760 
      • Mon the Red Machine !
      Reply #630: Dec 08, 2015 12:42:33 pm
      Sturridge made of glass.
      Can suspended.
      Henderson only back from injury.
      Coutinho still out injured.
      Sahko still out injured.

Plenty of reasons to freshen things up against Newcastle.
      Like some have said, if Moreno's goal had correctly stood
      then LFC go on to win that game.

That's football.
      That's all it is.

correct.
      HamannsTheMan
      • Forum Legend - Fagan

• 3,030 posts | 1973 
      Reply #631: Dec 08, 2015 01:17:11 pm
      The thing that disappointed me most about this game is the changes Jürgen made.

Since Jürgen has arrived he has kept with the same side most weeks even in Europe & the league cup and it has been very refreshing. We have been more consistent with our results because the team that has played has been consistent, its not rocket science. Brendan made too many changes and altered the formation too often. To be honest, we didn't have a F***ing clue what side Brendan was going to pick each week and I don't think he knew either.

There are plenty of games coming up added to the ones we've already played so we don't want to burn out but simply because of the manner we tore Southampton apart then he should have kept the momentum going and gone with as much of the same team as he could.

He should have only made three changes.

Mignolet in for Bogdan
      Clyne in for Randall
      Henderson in for Can

Crucially he should have kept the front three of Lallana, Danny and Origi. Those three were on fire on Wednesday and he started with none! It was a bit Brendan-like. Too many changes probably cost us 3 points.

I don't think we will ever see that front four of Milner, Firmino, Ibe and Benteke playing together ever again though.

heimdall
      • Forum Legend - Paisley

• 13,818 posts | 2724 
      Reply #632: Dec 08, 2015 05:02:41 pm
      The thing that disappointed me most about this game is the changes Jürgen made.

Since Jürgen has arrived he has kept with the same side most weeks even in Europe & the league cup and it has been very refreshing. We have been more consistent with our results because the team that has played has been consistent, its not rocket science. Brendan made too many changes and altered the formation too often. To be honest, we didn't have a f**king clue what side Brendan was going to pick each week and I don't think he knew either.

There are plenty of games coming up added to the ones we've already played so we don't want to burn out but simply because of the manner we tore Southampton apart then he should have kept the momentum going and gone with as much of the same team as he could.

He should have only made three changes.

Mignolet in for Bogdan
      Clyne in for Randall
      Henderson in for Can

Crucially he should have kept the front three of Lallana, Danny and Origi. Those three were on fire on Wednesday and he started with none! It was a bit Brendan-like. Too many changes probably cost us 3 points.

I don't think we will ever see that front four of Milner, Firmino, Ibe and Benteke playing together ever again though.

I kind of agree with this but not 100%. Yes Jürgen made changes but even that team he put out should have been able to beat a very poor Newcastle side. It was just one of those weird games where we had zero luck and fortune favoured the harder working team which was Newcastle. The most disappointing thing is that our work rate dipped markedly compared to previous games, with the exception of Millner and Moreno. I can well imagine there was quit e a bollocking form Jürgen after that game.
      In the grand scheme of things we can't expect to win every game and Newcastle at home, when they feel the intensity of the crowd, are and always will be dangerous.
      Cad1875
      • Forum Alan Hansen

• 635 posts | 59 
      Reply #633: Dec 08, 2015 06:42:28 pm
      The pisser for me is I lumped on heavy on Wednesday after the Southampton game  @ 3,4,5,6, nil for the reds should have waited for the team sheets TBH ,I really thought the 3 pts were a skoosh,just shows you how much I know 
      Claudio
      • Forum Paul Ince

• 82 posts |
      Reply #634: Dec 08, 2015 09:34:02 pm
      Its easy for anyone to sit here after a defeat and say 'this player shouldn't have played' or 'we should have gone with this formation'.

But a midfield two of Allen & Lucas has never worked for us and the front four of Benteke, Ibe, Firmino and Milner didn't striker me as having goals in them either. I was worried well before kick off.

You say Sturridge and Henderson aren't fit - then they shouldn't be in the squad then. So why is Jürgen picking injured players to travel? They obviously are fit, but they both need match practice, there is a difference.

I'd have started both on Sunday. We got out ran in midfield and that's where we needed Hendo. We also very noticeably had no quality in the final third and that's where we needed Danny.

Go 2-0 up, bring them both off, keep the ball and see the game out. That would have been my game plan. But like I said its easy to sit here and say that now.

I think he wanted to rest them. First Southampton, then Newcastle United... we're talking about players who were still injured a few days ago. Yes, they're ( almost ) fit now, but we better ease them back in unless you want to lose them for months again... when I first saw the starting XI, I knew it would be a hard game, but come on, this was Newcastle United, if we can't beat them without Sturridge and Henderson,  we have another problem...
      like I said yesterday, there's no way they can play 3 games a week.
      lfc across the water
      • Needs a Klopp hug...Rafa's Number 1 fan...VAR has no faults Promoter
      • Forum Legend - Fagan

• 3,863 posts | 704 
      Reply #635: Dec 09, 2015 08:01:42 am
      We have a big squad that is designed to have the numbers to play two or even more games if necessary, per week. 11 first team players didn't play at Southampton, so they should have been well refreshed for this game.

But as has often been the case with Jürgen so far, if the gegenpressing doesn't work, very little else does. Benteke should have scored and the game would have been totally different. Somehow he didn't, and it went downhill from there. Moreno's effort should have stood, however I don't think he intended it, and I think the Newcastle keeper knew it was offside, and didn't try very hard to stop it going in anyway.

A draw would have been a bad result, a loss was a terrible result, and was a huge opportunity missed to make up ground, and improve the goal difference. It will take some time to recover the damage from this result. As bad as they are, they took 2 points each off the mancs and Chelsea this year, and hopefully they'll rouse themselves enough to take some more points off the mancs again in a few weeks time.

Quick Reply