Trending Topics

Next match: LFC v Spurs [Premier League] Sun 5th May @ 4:30 pm
      Anfield

Today is the 30th of April and on this date LFC's match record is P26 W15 D5 L6

Pre Match: FC Sion v Liverpool - Thurs 10/12 18:00 ko

Read 6268 times
      The Kopite91
      • Forum Legend - Fagan
      • Started Topic

• 3,654 posts | 246 
      Pre Match: FC Sion v Liverpool - Thurs 10/12 18:00 ko
      Dec 07, 2015 12:55:36 pm

As disappointing as yesterdays defeat to Newcastle was, we still have potentially another 13 matches to play between now and the end of January. Jürgen knows the chance to rest players won't come up again for a while and with qualification from the group safe I image there will be quite a few changes here.

FC Sion currently sit 6th in the Swiss Super League and are currently in a spell of bad form having last won at home on the 8th of November and drawing once and losing three since, scoring just two goals in those 4 games. However they are more than aware that a win for Rubin Kazan against Bordeaux could potentially see them knocked out of the competition on goal difference. So they're either going to come out fighting or look for a draw that sees them through. I don't imagine Jürgen being the type of man happy with two playing out a bore draw, especially after the Newcastle performance, so I see a competitive game here.

When we played these to a 1-1 draw at Anfield back in October they played a 4-3-3;

We were by far the better side and should have won that comfortably, but we lacked a clinical edge. Their starting XI is fairly consistent with just two changes to the side that drew with us made to the side that lost 2-0 to Rubin Kazan, and one of those changes being sent off.Without a doubt Assifauh, Carlitos and Konate are their danger men with 12 goals between them and 8 between the rest of the squad. They've scored 4 goals in their 5 Europa League games this far, so they're not clinical. Their midfield trio are an interesting group, from what I can see Salatic is a type of deep lying play maker, he can pass a ball but he's a big lad, not much pace and even for his height he's not dominant in the air. He's played nearly every game for them so far this season and I imagine at 30 if we can push the pace he should struggle. Pressing and a bit of bullying should keep him out of this.

Fernandes is a 19 yo ever present in their team, who I believe likes to get forward more than back (making 2 tackles per games, and 1.6 fouls!), and I don't think Modou is the best defender in the world either (a midfielder turned full back), so a bit of pressure down that flank should bring us some luck.

Kouassi got the assist for Assifuah against us however he's not a prolific playmaker, he's made just 37 passes in his 2 Europa League appearances. Birama Ndoye is preferred but after his red card against Rubin Kazan he's out, so I expect Kouassi to start, but as long as we don't allow him time on the ball he shouldn't be hurting us.

At the back, Sion are not fantastic but far from terrible. Their center half partnership of Ziegler and Lacroix both average more clearances per game (3.2 and 4.8 ) than they do tackles (1.3 and 1.8 ). They're clearly not a ball playing defence, get it out by any means necessary. Due to the lack of tackles, they don't foul much, so I don't expect a penalty this time round. They don't exactly command the air either, (2.4 and 1.8 aerial duels won per game). I'm not suggesting hoof it to the big man up front, but we could do with refining our set plays, especially corners! And in Zverotic I can find nothing of note... the most exciting thing I have is the he has already accumulated 6 yellows this season. He does nothing of note in attack or defence, other than play short passes with below average accuracy. In Vanins they have a keeper who has kept just 7 clean sheets this season.

I think there is more than enough there for Klopp to take advantage of regardless of what team he puts out. Our biggest worry will be that Sion try to play for a draw for 90 mins and lock us out. I still expect quite a few changes to the team yet a good mix of youth and experience.

I think Mignolet will start this one. Bogdan has done nothing wrong but after shipping two goals on Sunday a clean sheet would be the best thing to keep Mignolet's head up, and the more games he gets in the sooner we can all forget that stupid indirect free kick he gave away. In front of him I would expect two changes, Randall in for Clyne again and Toure in for Lovren (depending on how Skrtels neck is). There is enough change there to rest players and give young Randall another run out. I would start Moreno with the idea of Getting some minutes in for Smith in the latter stages, but to start Smith and Randall together could leave us over exposed. I wouldn't be against resting Moreno and starting Clyne either. But as I said before I think their full backs are a weak spot so aggressive wing play early on will be important to expose them and put them on the back foot. But equally their front 3 carry the same threat, so defensive duties cannot be abandoned.

In midfield I think we can overload and dominate their three, so below I have us in a 4-2-3-1, with the idea of overloading and pressing out of possession and turning it into a 4-3-3 when in attack. I know they came in for criticism on Sunday but I would start Milner and Allen in the center. I see them having more time on the ball here and I think that suits both perfectly. It also gives enough experience to play Chirivella just ahead of them. In terms of sub options here, I think it's a great game to get some more minutes into Henderson and if he's fit enough a nice reintroduction for Rossiter.

Out wide I think pace a nice mix of pace a guile can unlock these. Lallana scored against them at Anfield and has improved since. He was fantastic against Southampton and a repeat of that will see more goals for him here. To go back to their full backs I think the best man to pressure them is Ibe. He'll run at them, take them on, make them guess. And another goal would do him no harm either. I think starting Firmino and Lallana is too similar, both will look for lay offs and sharp balls. But in Ibe we have someone who'll turn a man, run at a man, and look to get a shot off. Do they drop off and pick up a runner or do they close him down... that's their risk to take.

Up front I would start Origi, I know he looks isolated in the graphic below but if we get up in support when attacking, Allen sits, Milner joins Chirivella behind Origi, Lallana and Ibe cutting in through the channels and Randall and Moreno overlapping, there is plenty of options and support there. Origi is a big strong lad. He missed some great chances against these at Anfield, he's come on leaps and bounds since then, getting his first goal(s) in the process. A more confident and ruthless Origi will get his goals here too.

Subs: Bogdan, Smith, Lovren, Henderson, Rossiter*, Brannagan, Sturridge

*If Rossiter isn't fit we can bring Can.

I think that team brings enough experience to get the job done and enough youth to allow us to rest players. It also allows us to get some more minutes into Sturridge and Henderson without over exposing them. Can, Coutinho, Lucas, Firmino all get a week ahead of West Brom, and we have the options from the bench to rest others if we can control the game.

My predictions are usually terrible but how and ever, I like to think that team can come away with a 2-0 win. Lallana and Origi.
      waltonl4
      • Forum Legend - Shankly

• 37,586 posts | 7140 
      Re: Pre Match: FC Sion v Liverpool - Thurs 10/12 18:00 ko
      Reply #1: Dec 07, 2015 12:58:44 pm
      it feel today like we lost a cup final yesterday so I am not really up for this game seeing how we have qualified already. Hope to see all the young lads available get a game.
      Vicks86
      • Forum Legend - Fagan

• 3,635 posts | 273 
      Reply #2: Dec 07, 2015 02:45:50 pm
      I'm confused by yesterday's loss. I would still start the majority of them to prove themselves, except may be Lallana for Ibe and tinker our defence. Can we play Benteke only in a 2-striker system? Can Origi and Benteke play together?

Benteke-Origi
      Firmino
      Lallana-Milner
      Allen
      Smith-Lovren-Toure-Randall
      Bogdan

Subs- Mignolet, Clyne, Skrtel, Can, Hendo, Coutinho, Studge
      HScRed1
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 20,191 posts | 4405 
      Reply #3: Dec 07, 2015 04:19:09 pm
      Not too fussed on this one, seeing as though we are already through important game is on Sunday so I would start with give Hendo some game time and let Benteke play in this one.

Bogdan
      Smith
      Toure
      Skrtel
      Randall
      Allen
      Hendo
      Ibe
      Origi
      Benteke
      LFC_Olly_91
      • Forum Jamie Redknapp

• 309 posts | 43 
      Reply #4: Dec 07, 2015 09:48:04 pm
      Bogdan

Randall
      Toure
      Lovren
      Smith

Henderson (c)
      Rossiter
      Emre Can

Firmino
      Lallana

Origi

Subs: Fulton; Clyne, Skrtel; Lucas, Allen; Ibe; Benteke.

0-2 to us.
      JD
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 39,654 posts | 6949 
      Reply #5: Dec 07, 2015 09:52:39 pm
      Don't think Bogdan has played in a European game has he?
      MIRO
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 12,989 posts | 3124 
      • Trust The Universe
      Reply #6: Dec 07, 2015 11:55:31 pm
      It would be good to get a win for confidence .
      waltonl4
      • Forum Legend - Shankly

• 37,586 posts | 7140 
      Reply #7: Dec 08, 2015 12:11:06 am
      football is just crazy not 5 days since our wonderful performance and we go into a game needing a win to boost confidence. The team will be interesting butI reckon it will be a second 11
      AlwaysTheKop
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 8,543 posts | 1481 
      • CHAMP19NS.
      Reply #8: Dec 08, 2015 07:51:44 am
      I'll be at work so we should win this 4-1 or maybe 5-1....
      billythered
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 10,945 posts | 5006 
      • From Doubters to Champions of the World
      Reply #9: Dec 08, 2015 08:39:18 am
      Dunno about you guy's but I want us back to the old days by being ruthless, especially in Europe,
      For this I'd go......

Bogdan
               Randall   Toure. Lovren   Smith
                                    Lucas
                    Henderson.     Emre Can
                                 Coutinho
                      Lallana.          Sturridge

Bench ; Mignolet, Clyne,  Milner,Firmino,  Origi, Ibe,  Chiravella,

Sion should not cause us much concern,  if Cou don't make it Firmino in his stead,  and Tex to make the bench,
      We in all honesty should make the Swiss roll, and be Yodelling all the way back to Anfield,
      and await the knockout draw,

0_3 Mighty Reds

YNWA
      Billy1
      • Forum Legend - Paisley

• 10,638 posts | 1966 
      Reply #10: Dec 08, 2015 08:45:02 am
      It would be good to get a win for confidence .

And another step in getting our pride and reputation back in Europe Skip.
      RobieSlick
      • Forum Legend - Fagan

• 2,758 posts | 259 
      Reply #11: Dec 08, 2015 09:49:53 am
      Dunno about you guy's but I want us back to the old days by being ruthless, especially in Europe,
      For this I'd go......

Bogdan
               Randall   Toure. Lovren   Smith
                                    Lucas
                    Henderson.     Emre Can
                                 Coutinho
                      Lallana.          Sturridge

Bench ; Mignolet, Clyne,  Milner,Firmino,  Origi, Ibe,  Chiravella,

Sion should not cause us much concern,  if Cou don't make it Firmino in his stead,  and Tex to make the bench,
      We in all honesty should make the Swiss roll, and be Yodelling all the way back to Anfield,
      and await the knockout draw,

0_3 Mighty Reds

YNWA

Tex not in Europa squad thanks to Rodgers. :(
      MIRO
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 12,989 posts | 3124 
      • Trust The Universe
      Reply #12: Dec 08, 2015 10:31:42 am
      And another step in getting our pride and reputation back in Europe Skip.

From small acorns Billy.

Forget Arsenal.

How many years were we continually in Europe   before the bans and Souness ?

No group stages then. 

Knock out stuff.   
      Thats how we won our trophies.
      billythered
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 10,945 posts | 5006 
      Reply #13: Dec 08, 2015 10:53:23 am
      Tex not in Europa squad thanks to Rodgers. :(

Was he out on loan then?  If so that's a bit of a blow, ok I'd put Branagan on the bench in his stead,  where there's a will etc?

YNWA
      billythered
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 10,945 posts | 5006 
      Reply #14: Dec 08, 2015 10:58:13 am
      From small acorns Billy.

Forget Arsenal.

How many years were we continually in Europe   before the bans and Souness ?

No group stages then. 

Knock out stuff.   
      Thats how we won our trophies.

Yes Skip mate, the good ol days eh?

I think Jürgen gets us in Euroland,  he knows how successful we were,  and I think he'd want us back to those glorious days and night asap,

Hence I believe he'll play a strong side V Sion, take no prisoners I say!

YNWA
      David Wright
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 5,298 posts | 765 
      Reply #15: Dec 08, 2015 11:05:45 am
      Let's go out and win this and make the Swiss Roll.
      brezipool
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 9,540 posts | 1774 
      • Mon the Red Machine !
      Reply #16: Dec 08, 2015 12:46:10 pm
      hendo is due a start, this or sunday, who knows.

Studger as well might start, build up fitness.
      waltonl4
      • Forum Legend - Shankly

• 37,586 posts | 7140 
      Reply #17: Dec 08, 2015 01:03:32 pm

Yes Skip mate, the good ol days eh?

I think Jürgen gets us in Euroland,  he knows how successful we were,  and I think he'd want us back to those glorious days and night asap,

Hence I believe he'll play a strong side V Sion, take no prisoners I say!

YNWA

the good old Days I think someone just posted Gerrards Olympiacos goal from 2004 yes 2004 11 years ago WTF.
      We need those days back again to breath life back into the club and only big CL nights is good enough
      reddebs
      • "LFC Hipster"
      • Forum Legend - Paisley

• 17,980 posts | 2264 
      Reply #18: Dec 08, 2015 01:29:14 pm
      I think had we won at the weekend we'd have seen quite a young and inexperienced side along with those who need match fitness starting.  We could have gone there with a bit of freedom, a show me what you've got type of 11 but still with a view to winning the game - Jürgen hates losing  :D

Now I've no idea.

s@int
      • Forum Legend - Paisley

• 14,987 posts | 2282 
      Reply #19: Dec 08, 2015 01:37:30 pm
                              Mignolet

Randall          Skrtel      Toure             Moreno

Henderson     Can      Allen

Lallana   

Origi           Benteke     

Save Sturridge and Coutinho for the weekend, maybe give them a few minutes for match fitness. Take Henderson off early and bring a youngster on if we are comfortably ahead.     
      billythered
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 10,945 posts | 5006 
      Reply #20: Dec 08, 2015 01:40:44 pm
      the good old Days I think someone just posted Gerrards Olympiacos goal from 2004 yes 2004 11 years ago WTF.
      We need those days back again to breath life back into the club and only big CL nights is good enough

:lmao:
      That's f***in mad,  so I wonder if they are actually aware that LFC was in existence way way back in the 70's and 80's, eh, jeez feel so old now,
      It's like us Walton looking back at Di Stefano,  Puskas,  Tom Finney, Billy Wright, etc,

Further proof that football was invented by the inauguration of sky sports way back in 1992, according to the modern fans ??

YNWA

paulow63
      • Forum Emlyn Hughes

• 673 posts | 87 
      Reply #21: Dec 08, 2015 04:02:18 pm
      Agree with s@int that we should try Benteke and Origi up front together with some creativity behind them.
      Sir Suarez
      • Forum Emlyn Hughes

• 783 posts | 59 
      Reply #22: Dec 09, 2015 09:24:42 am
      Can tex be added to the Europa squad in Jan?  If we signed a new player are they just added to the squad or do they replace someone already registered?

Quick Reply