Trending Topics

Next match: LFC v Spurs [Premier League] Sun 5th May @ 4:30 pm
      Anfield

Today is the 29th of April and on this date LFC's match record is P29 W11 D6 L12

Rumours - Sturridge injured following Newcastle game (Now Reported)

Read 12752 times
      GERNS
      • Forum Legend - Paisley

• 12,343 posts | 1529 
      Re: Rumours - Sturridge injured following Newcastle game (Now Reported)
      Reply #69: Dec 09, 2015 11:41:30 pm
      . I remember Newcastle got a bumper payout from England when Owen was out for a long while.
      Didn't Sturridge's current run of injuries start with the thigh strain he got on England duty when the owl insisted he trained flat out, even though he was advised Sturidge had his own training programme to help avoid injury.
      AussieRed
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 20,779 posts | 6727 
      • You'll Never Walk Alone
      Reply #70: Dec 10, 2015 06:22:31 am
      Sturridge to me, when he's fit is a ten out of ten player, he'll usually score with the minimal amount of chances created.
      Problem is, he's injured all the time, we need another striker, since Ings is injured long term.
      But, not sell Sturridge, have him as a bonus in the sporadic times that he's stays fit for a while. He's a valuable asset but unfortunately unreliable.
      He won't turn up for work half of the time, wish I had that luxury. Starting to think he may be a bit of a pussy tbh.

Agreed mate.

We just know that if we sell him, he will stay fit at another Club and bang in the goals, be just our luck.
      fishpie
      • Forum Legend - Fagan

• 3,570 posts | 212 
      Reply #71: Dec 10, 2015 09:25:57 am
      Agreed mate.

We just know that if we sell him, he will stay fit at another Club and bang in the goals, be just our luck.

He might do for a short while but he'd revert to the formula.
      I am really starting to think he's a hypochondriac in terms of injuries. I'm still used to the run through a brick wall and play with a broken collar bone type warrior though.Some players have that attitude now, even with the wrapping them in cotton wool philosophy.
      MIRO
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 12,989 posts | 3124 
      • Trust The Universe
      Reply #72: Dec 10, 2015 10:33:10 am
      I am really starting to think he's a hypochondriac in terms of injuries. I'm still used to the run through a brick wall and play with a broken collar bone type warrior though.Some players have that attitude now, even with the wrapping them in cotton wool philosophy.

Its hard to accept when you've grown up supporting the lads for as long as I have with players like Gerry Byrne    Tommy Smith  et al  who would run through walls for the Red shirt.

I keep saying . We got him cheap in the January sales and his woeful previous injury record was well documented.
      He is only a squad player .... on ridiculous wages.
      AussieRed
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 20,779 posts | 6727 
      • You'll Never Walk Alone
      Reply #73: Dec 10, 2015 10:42:22 am

I think Jürgen thinks like we do mate and that's Danny is soft!
      fishpie
      • Forum Legend - Fagan

• 3,570 posts | 212 
      Reply #74: Dec 10, 2015 10:47:37 am
      Still love the guy^
      Needs to toughen up a bit though.
      waltonl4
      • Forum Legend - Shankly

• 37,586 posts | 7140 
      Reply #75: Dec 10, 2015 12:25:03 pm
      Still love the guy^
      Needs to toughen up a bit though.

~I think he is about to get Jurgens version of tough love
      s@int
      • Forum Legend - Paisley

• 14,987 posts | 2282 
      Reply #76: Dec 10, 2015 12:45:13 pm
      I agree he needs to toughen up a bit, but most of his injuries are of the type that you can't just "run through the pain" as you are liable to do more damage and be out for even longer.

I think Danny is good enough that we should have a little more patience with him and hope that once we get him fully fit these niggles will go away.

I am sure he is just as frustrated with the injuries as we are.

brezipool
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 9,537 posts | 1773 
      • Mon the Red Machine !
      Reply #77: Dec 10, 2015 12:45:28 pm
      Frustrating for Daniel as well I bet. so don't be to hard on him.
      waltonl4
      • Forum Legend - Shankly

• 37,586 posts | 7140 
      Reply #78: Dec 10, 2015 12:51:56 pm

I don't think its being hard on him its frustrating but when you see his career as a whole he has missed an incredible about of football for a 26 year old. He must be getting the very very best medical attention but it never seems to work and he is taking up a place in the squad and a place on the wage list. We need strikers, Danny is out, Sturridge is out and Benteke still has the jury out on him. Imagine where we might be with a Suarez or even a fit Danny playing in this team.
      7-King Kenny-7
      • Lives on Sesame Street
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 44,014 posts | 5760 
      • You'll Never Walk Alone!
      Reply #79: Dec 10, 2015 07:36:30 pm

Yeah must be really hard on him whilst still getting £150k a week, living in a nice big house, driving flash cars etc. Christ if I don't go to work then I don't get paid. Pull my hamstring and I will still be at work at 7am the following morning.
      Chico Banderas
      • Forum Legend - Benitez

• 2,072 posts | 150 
      Reply #80: Dec 10, 2015 08:08:39 pm
      Yeah must be really hard on him whilst still getting £150k a week, living in a nice big house, driving flash cars etc. Christ if I don't go to work then I don't get paid. Pull my hamstring and I will still be at work at 7am the following morning.

Do you really conclude that Danny must be over the moon that he's getting free money when injured?..

These "Footballers lives are amazing compared to mine" comments are tedious to say the least..

If the money they get is standard you'd have to assume he's pissed off that he's continuously injured and cant play football..
      7-King Kenny-7
      • Lives on Sesame Street
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 44,014 posts | 5760 
      Reply #81: Dec 10, 2015 11:23:21 pm
      Do you really conclude that Danny must be over the moon that he's getting free money when injured?..

These "Footballers lives are amazing compared to mine" comments are tedious to say the least..

If the money they get is standard you'd have to assume he's pissed off that he's continuously injured and cant play football..

Call it tedious all you want but to make out he is distraught over it I don't believe for a second because I know exactly how it works when players are injured and yes they may well be gutted to an extent they can't play but it's certainly not the end of the world for them. Look at Enrique for example, he has been out just as much as Sturridge with injuries throughout his career and when he's injured he has no second thoughts about posting pictures of himself on holiday in Dubai or christ knows where, hardly looking distraught at not being able to play. Or Fabio Aurelio, spent a lot of time injured, wanted to stay at the club but as soon as he was offered a pay as you play deal, he rejected it....funny that.

When players are out as much as Sturridge or with long term injuries on a frequent basis they get used to it, they get used to not playing but still living the luxury lifestyle. Ledley King spent more time injured than playing and retired before even carving out a real career injury free because he knew his body couldn't take the physical impacts of the game. I'm not saying Sturridge should retire so don't try slinging that back at me because what I am saying is Sturridge and the club will soon have to come to a decision if it's he has any real part to play at the club. He is a quality player and has a cracking goal record for us but he is playing less and less as time goes on. He has started something like 16 out of the last 80+ games. Despite his goal record for us, what good is it having a player that will only play a few games a season but will still eat away nicely at our wage bill as I expect he is our highest earner when that money could be put to better use with a player that won't be injured for 90% of the season.

Klopp suggested it could be a mental thing with Sturridge to a degree. Well stick him on a pay as you play deal and maybe he will be playing more games.
      JD
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 39,654 posts | 6949 
      Reply #82: Dec 10, 2015 11:51:02 pm
      Klopp suggested it could be a mental thing with Sturridge to a degree.

Fair point. Klopp has 'suggested' more than once it might be something like that.

MIRO
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 12,989 posts | 3124 
      • Trust The Universe
      Reply #83: Dec 11, 2015 07:47:38 am
      Call it tedious all you want but to make out he is distraught over it I don't believe for a second because I know exactly how it works when players are injured and yes they may well be gutted to an extent they can't play but it's certainly not the end of the world for them. Look at Enrique for example, he has been out just as much as Sturridge with injuries throughout his career and when he's injured he has no second thoughts about posting pictures of himself on holiday in Dubai or christ knows where, hardly looking distraught at not being able to play. Or Fabio Aurelio, spent a lot of time injured, wanted to stay at the club but as soon as he was offered a pay as you play deal, he rejected it....funny that.

When players are out as much as Sturridge or with long term injuries on a frequent basis they get used to it, they get used to not playing but still living the luxury lifestyle. Ledley King spent more time injured than playing and retired before even carving out a real career injury free because he knew his body couldn't take the physical impacts of the game. I'm not saying Sturridge should retire so don't try slinging that back at me because what I am saying is Sturridge and the club will soon have to come to a decision if it's he has any real part to play at the club. He is a quality player and has a cracking goal record for us but he is playing less and less as time goes on. He has started something like 16 out of the last 80+ games. Despite his goal record for us, what good is it having a player that will only play a few games a season but will still eat away nicely at our wage bill as I expect he is our highest earner when that money could be put to better use with a player that won't be injured for 90% of the season.

Klopp suggested it could be a mental thing with Sturridge to a degree. Well stick him on a pay as you play deal and maybe he will be playing more games.

My sentiments entirely. +1.
      The whole post.

... dont forget the player who got tired and was sent  for a winter break to Jamaica  ..... selling out .....and now down the other end of the East Lancs.
      Chico Banderas
      • Forum Legend - Benitez

• 2,072 posts | 150 
      Reply #84: Dec 11, 2015 10:50:05 am

The post you replied to said he'd be "frustrated", nobody said or implied he was "distraught" or that it was the end of the world for him..

You exaggerated just so you can write another "our life is sh*t compared to theirs" comment imo..

The lifestyle they have is lavish, meaning they probably devalue and normalise the most extravagant things, I'd imagine being able to play football well and boosting their ego will rank highly for lots of footballers opposed to going on "another holiday"..

Pretty simple question. Would someone like Danny, an ego player, rather go on holiday again and post on instagram or, would he rather be injury free and showing people he's better than Aguero...?

I agree with a lot of the other points you mentioned though.

How much we can play him affects us greatly but, I cant see how much we're paying him impinging our progress too much..

We just need this class player to be fit for us and it looks like he never will be ffs..
      waltonl4
      • Forum Legend - Shankly

• 37,586 posts | 7140 
      Reply #85: Dec 11, 2015 11:24:44 am
      What we are  lacking is strong characters in this team forgetting the quality of the men as players look at Suarez or Gerrard or Sami or Alonso or Pepe  these had "balls". I fear Daniel is missing this ingredient that would make him truly world class. Even Messi as small as he is rarely gets injured. This is a tough business we simply cant afford to be paying someone over £5mil a year to play a handful of games
      heimdall
      • Forum Legend - Paisley

• 13,818 posts | 2724 
      Reply #86: Dec 11, 2015 11:35:34 am
      He is quite simply not worth his wages, we need to ship him out and get another top quality striker in. It really is that simple, there ir no room for sentiment here if we want to achieve greatness, we can't carry passengers.
      waltonl4
      • Forum Legend - Shankly

• 37,586 posts | 7140 
      Reply #87: Dec 11, 2015 11:38:41 am
      He is quite simply not worth his wages, we need to ship him out and get another top quality striker in. It really is that simple, there ir no room for sentiment here if we want to achieve greatness, we can't carry passengers.

problem is he has a contract (not sure of the details) and not many will be willing to pay him what we do so we may end up paying him to play elsewhere. Wonder if there is a point were the club can say he is not "fit for work". What does go through this lads head ???
      MIRO
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 12,989 posts | 3124 
      • Trust The Universe
      Reply #88: Dec 11, 2015 11:40:24 am
      He is quite simply not worth his wages, we need to ship him out and get another top quality striker in.

It really is that simple, there ir no room for sentiment here if we want to achieve greatness, we can't carry passengers.

+1     

Good Post .

7-King Kenny-7
      • Lives on Sesame Street
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 44,014 posts | 5760 
      Reply #89: Dec 11, 2015 07:16:42 pm

You exaggerated just so you can write another "our life is sh*t compared to theirs" comment imo..

I wasn't exaggerating anything, it was a hint of sarcasm at your post about him being frustrated.

When have I said our lives are sh*t compared to theirs? What my point was if you had understood it properly was that if we don't go to work for whatever reason then we don't get paid, so why in the hell should we keep paying someone 150k a week to essentially do f**k all? Explained enough or am I just saying another "our life is sh*t" comment?...

FATKOPITE10
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 14,434 posts | 3417 
      • Liverpool fc give me tourettes
      Reply #90: Dec 11, 2015 07:33:56 pm
      Any truth in the rumours on twitter that the kids from Alder Hey will be visiting sturridge this Christmas.
      bmck
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 9,548 posts | 1667 
      • YNWA
      Reply #91: Dec 11, 2015 08:35:43 pm
      This looks like the way of it for Studge.
      His body is not Luis's, he's prone to injury.
      And that might be an understatement, given he sometimes needs convincing on top of that.

Still, Paul McGraths knees were held together with sellotape for years at Villa
      They worked out a training regime.... he didn't do any !

Just using an extreme example ... but Studge is an excellent striker .. on his day ... he just doesn't have enough of them. But instead of shipping him out, maybe there a different training regime could be tailored?
      Personally don't think every player needs to be able to run a mini marathon every match day, but does that mean they can't be effective? I accept that singling out a player for different treatment, less/diff training, might not be a good example to set. when you are trying to get players to buy into a new system.

Might be grasping at straws, and Studge's future gets less certain per injury, but he's still fantastic when on form. Still, given his injuries and they way Klopp trains and expects the team to play, it's really hard to see how he'll be able to part of Klopps future plans.

Quick Reply