Trending Topics

Next match: West Ham v LFC [Premier League] Sat 27th Apr @ 12:30 pm
      London Stadium

Today is the 25th of April and on this date LFC's match record is P25 W10 D7 L8

LFC Reds Poll

Q. LFC Man of the Match?

Simon Mignolet
      2 (2.1%)
      Alberto Moreno
      1 (1.1%)
      Dejan Lovren
      4 (4.3%)
      Martin Skrtel
      0 (0%)
      Nathaniel Clyne
      4 (4.3%)
      James Milner
      4 (4.3%)
      Emre Can
      14 (14.9%)
      Jordan Henderson
      34 (36.2%)
      Adam Lallana
      4 (4.3%)
      Philippe Coutinho
      0 (0%)
      Christian Benteke
      0 (0%)
      Jordon Ibe
      0 (0%)
      Roberto Firmino
      0 (0%)
      Divock Origi
      27 (28.7%)

Total Members Voted: 91

Voting closed: Dec 19, 2015 06:05:00 pm

Liverpool 2-2 West Brom: In game and Post match debate

Read 34601 times
      David Wright
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 5,291 posts | 763 
      Re: Liverpool 2-2 West Brom: In game and Post match debate
      Reply #598: Dec 14, 2015 06:54:23 am
      Credit to the lads, who never gave up to salvage a point. Once again let down by clangers from the keeper, who urgently needs to be replaced.
      Billy1
      • Forum Legend - Paisley

• 10,638 posts | 1966 
      Reply #599: Dec 14, 2015 08:03:47 am
      I did not see the match so I am in no position to comment on individual players. It is a disappointment to drop 2 points at home especially after having so much possession. We have come to expect the sh*te tactics served up by any team that Pullis  manages by now.
      Beerbelly
      • Banned

• 6,983 posts | 2054 
      Reply #600: Dec 14, 2015 08:42:14 am
      1 point taken from a possible 6 from the barcodes and WBA. Could have been in the hunt, now languish in midtable. Typical Liverpool to drop cheap points against teams we should be beating.  :f_steam:
      Scotia
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 8,970 posts | 3054 
      Reply #601: Dec 14, 2015 08:52:03 am
      Last two games have been frustrating but I take a lot from yesterday - we kept going against a team set up not to lose the game and got the equalizer. I've no issue with what the boss did - stressing the connection between fans and players is never a bad thing in my mind.

This was never going to be a jog in to pick up top 4 - he's finding a lot out about this squad. I still think we lack true width and the goalie situation is the elephant in everybody's room!

Went for the skipper as MotM - just great to see him back from the start.
      waltonl4
      • Forum Legend - Shankly

• 37,585 posts | 7139 
      Reply #602: Dec 14, 2015 09:26:23 am
      Don't think Jürgen was impressed by the tactics or style of football that Pulis brings to the best league in the world (my arse). Not many have commented on the tackle being dangerous but I am confused because his studs where up and with the speed of his approach there was only one outcome and I thought players were responsible for this.
      Not the best outcome for the last few games and if you choose to you can find the negatives but Newcastle beat Spurs yesterday the game on Thursday left us top of the Europa league and yesterday I think Klopp got angry . Henderson looks like he will be a real asset again and we are still despite the doom and gloom in the hunt for a top four but we need some additional players to achieve this
      HamannsTheMan
      • Forum Legend - Fagan

• 3,030 posts | 1973 
      Reply #603: Dec 14, 2015 09:57:26 am
      If you don't think Henderson's goal was created by some really good play then what on earth are people looking at. 70% possession today.
      Couthino blasted over the bar  from the edge of the box. this wasn't total football but I don't think anybody said it was it was some good passing lots of pressing and good movement but poor finishing and poor goal keeping. These are not Klopps players they are a squad Brendan has assembled over 3 years and it isn't even 3 months since Klopp took over I will wait a while longer before I start calling for his head.

To be fair Hendersons goal was a nice little move but from memory Coutinho was looking for a pass but had nothing on so he had no option other than to clip it into the box where surprisingly Lallana beat his man in the air and luckily it fell to Hendo who had made a good run.

The game in general though we were struggling to break them down. We very rarely got in behind them. We were slow with our passing and didn't play with enough pace or aggression. WBA made it very difficult for us but we all knew how they'd set up under Pulis.

Nobody is calling for Klopps head. He has brought excitement amongst all of us and we're all looking ahead at what the future could bring, but don't come on here every week like you do lad and repeatedly say we were brilliant when we weren't.

You said it against Palace and we were sh*te. We lost that game.

All through the live Newcastle thread you kept saying it was part of a masterstroke by Klopp and that we were purposely playing like sh*te trying to tire Newcastle out and then we will win the game comfortably in the late stages. Well we got beat 2-0 and played terrible for 90mins.

Yesterday we had all the ball but didn't know what to do with it. WBA were happy for us to pass sideways in their half for 90mins and that's what we did. In my opinion it was a poor performance and certainly it was a very poor result.

We have not played well in the above three games yet you continue to come on here and say how brilliant we were and its starting to do my head in. We were brilliant at Chelsea, City and Southampton but we were border line dog sh*t in the games I've just mentioned. I say it every week on here that if we play well then I'll say we played well, but if we played sh*t then I'll also say we played sh*t.

Its a post match thread, we're here to discuss our performance. If its ok to give Klopp praise when we go to city and smash them 4-1 then its ok to criticise if we lose 2-0 at Newcastle too. Klopp gets a free ride until he ships out some of the dross here and brings his own players in and then we can judge him fairly but I'm still going to discuss the games as they are week by week. Not downright lie about them.

stuey
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 36,004 posts | 3952 
      Reply #604: Dec 14, 2015 10:02:13 am
      cancerous comment?  so the awful atmosphere, the fact that Klopp himself has to get the crowd going, that's not cancerous but my comment is.  Yea that makes sense.

''Awful atmosphere'' is your opinion and not shared by the majority, affected/jaundiced comment right there.

"Irrespective of the result"---you act like we twatted Barcelona 10-0 or something.

I made no reference to the opposition, I did indicate that you find a negative no matter what the result.

we drew.  with West Brom. 

a team we should be walking over.  you get excited about a draw at home with West Brom, ok mate.

West Brom were no walk over and would test any Prem. side, invaluable assistance from the referee aided their cause. The Lovren incident was the perfect example although you like the gobs***e Shearer would see nothing wrong in the knee ripping challenge that saw him stretchered off.
      The nature of the wonder equalising goal by Origi who was blatantly fouled but picked himself up and scored a cracking goal would evoke some positivity from any true supporter; counts you out at a stroke. 

racerx34
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 33,603 posts | 3843 
      • THE SALT IN THE SOUP
      Reply #605: Dec 14, 2015 10:17:14 am
      Evans, and anyone else who fails to see what Klopp is trying to do, can get in the bin.
      MarkMitt
      • Forum Legend - Fagan

• 2,800 posts | 337 
      • Give it your best every time!
      Reply #606: Dec 14, 2015 10:25:30 am
      Can't believe how little is being said buy the media regarding the challenge on Lovren. I guarantee if it had been the other way round, they would be flapping their tongues about it. Whilst I appreciate football is supposed to be a physical game, there is no place in the sport for challenges like that. A career ending challenge. Wonder if there will be retrospective action taken? If the Suarez bite on Ivanovic was deemed worthy of 8 game ban, then surely logic dictates that a reckless, career threatening tackle should be worthy of a lengthier punishment.
      bmck
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 9,543 posts | 1666 
      • YNWA
      Reply #607: Dec 14, 2015 11:09:00 am
      Would have won today with a different keeper IMO. Their second was a great corner but even that one Mignolet's face was a big surprise that a ball was approaching. Their offside goal he didn't even move.

Still got Enrique havent we? 😉

Agree. Turning point was their goal. Really looked like we'd push on until Mignolet made yet another blunder. Then he goes walkabout and nearly gives away another. His bad decision making is costing us, consistently.
      Beerbelly
      • Banned

• 6,983 posts | 2054 
      Reply #608: Dec 14, 2015 11:18:46 am
      Can't believe how little is being said buy the media regarding the challenge on Lovren. I guarantee if it had been the other way round, they would be flapping their tongues about it. Whilst I appreciate football is supposed to be a physical game, there is no place in the sport for challenges like that. A career ending challenge. Wonder if there will be retrospective action taken? If the Suarez bite on Ivanovic was deemed worthy of 8 game ban, then surely logic dictates that a reckless, career threatening tackle should be worthy of a lengthier punishment.

I keep watching the replay here: https://streamable.com/9em2?mobile=1 and honestly can't see what was wrong with Gardner's challenge. I think it was an unfortunate accident. Gardner clearly won the ball first and the way Lovren came in ensured he came off worse. I think the adage of 'not committing yourself fully to the challenge will likely result in you being injured',  rings true here.
      HamannsTheMan
      • Forum Legend - Fagan

• 3,030 posts | 1973 
      Reply #609: Dec 14, 2015 11:27:52 am
      I keep watching the replay here: https://streamable.com/9em2?mobile=1 and honestly can't see what was wrong with Gardner's challenge. I think it was an unfortunate accident. Gardner clearly won the ball first and the way Lovren came in ensured he came off worse. I think the adage of 'not committing yourself fully to the challenge will likely result in you being injured',  rings true here.

I think its a bad tackle but he gets away with it because he wins the ball.

If you watch Gardners leg though, he purposely raises it after he touches the ball and clatters dejan. It was deliberate.

Also, Gardner had quite a lot of 'banter' with our supporters in the second half and I think he was wound up at this point.
      HamannsTheMan
      • Forum Legend - Fagan

• 3,030 posts | 1973 
      Reply #610: Dec 14, 2015 11:37:16 am
      ''Awful atmosphere'' is your opinion and not shared by the majority, affected/jaundiced comment right there.

I made no reference to the opposition, I did indicate that you find a negative no matter what the result.

West Brom were no walk over and would test any Prem. side, invaluable assistance from the referee aided their cause. The Lovren incident was the perfect example although you like the gobs***e Shearer would see nothing wrong in the knee ripping challenge that saw him stretchered off.
      The nature of the wonder equalising goal by Origi who was blatantly fouled but picked himself up and scored a cracking goal would evoke some positivity from any true supporter; counts you out at a stroke.

To be fair mate the atmosphere was awful.

Around the 90th minute the Kop sang 'oh when the reds' repeatedly four or five times. It was slowly getting louder each time but it was hardly rocking.

We scored and Klopp went nuts and that's when we found our voices. At this point we were well into added time though. For 90mins it was dead though!

On your other points we knew they would be difficult to break down and it was as if we had no plan B. We struggled from the off. We didn't go at them enough. We were too slow with our build up and we were out of ideas straight away.  We also knew the threat would come from set pieces and we didn't deal with them at all.  So for me it was a bad day at the office and I don't buy into this WBA are a match for anyone type argument, they are proper sh*t them.

waltonl4
      • Forum Legend - Shankly

• 37,585 posts | 7139 
      Reply #611: Dec 14, 2015 11:56:44 am
      To be fair mate the atmosphere was awful.

Around the 90th minute the Kop sang 'oh when the reds' repeatedly four or five times. It was slowly getting louder each time but it was hardly rocking.

We scored and Klopp went nuts and that's when we found our voices. At this point we were well into added time though. For 90mins it was dead though!

On your other points we knew they would be difficult to break down and it was as if we had no plan B. We struggled from the off. We didn't go at them enough. We were too slow with our build up and we were out of ideas straight away.  We also knew the threat would come from set pieces and we didn't deal with them at all.  So for me it was a bad day at the office and I don't buy into this WBA are a match for anyone type argument, they are proper sh*t them.

I wonder what your expectations are for this team. After weeks in charge what is the point of pulling them apart its just stating the bloody obvious. This isn't a championship winning side or even a side that could do well in the CL so whats the point of judging them against that level. I have seen improvements in players such as Lovren and Moreno but the fact remains morale is still fragile and we don't have a top goal scorer or a decent goalkeeper. So with that in mind what is the point of constantly picking holes in performances that are what they are with a team that is not this managers.
      redkop63
      • Forum Legend - Dalglish

• 6,890 posts | 455 
      Reply #612: Dec 14, 2015 12:23:32 pm
      In all honesty, I never like Origi a bit from the start,but in the last few games and yesterday's game has changed my opinion about him. He's a fighter and he can only improve under Klopp. Well done. Credit where it is due.
      waltonl4
      • Forum Legend - Shankly

• 37,585 posts | 7139 
      Reply #613: Dec 14, 2015 12:24:45 pm
      In all honesty, I never like Origi a bit from the start,but in the last few games and yesterday's game has changed my opinion about him. He's a fighter and he can only improve under Klopp. Well done. Credit where it is due.

think a few of us are happy to eat humble pie over Origi.
      redkop63
      • Forum Legend - Dalglish

• 6,890 posts | 455 
      Reply #614: Dec 14, 2015 12:28:01 pm
      think a few of us are happy to eat humble pie over Origi.

That includes me. ;D. It was his never say die attitude that resulted in our equaliser. For a moment I thought he was made of rubber.
      what-a-hit-son
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 16,495 posts | 4839 
      • t: @MrPrice1979 i: @klmprice101518
      Reply #615: Dec 14, 2015 12:37:04 pm
      https://t.co/mHK9PNd9zx

On his arse, get up, BANG!!

Courtesy of RedPuppy.

New posters ay? Funny, you're style of posting reminds me of some other bell whiffer who used be on this forum......

:rasp:

s@int
      • Forum Legend - Paisley

• 14,987 posts | 2282 
      Reply #616: Dec 14, 2015 12:42:24 pm

I thought it was a premeditated foul mate. He went in and deliberately followed through raising his foot high. Skrtel did a two footed tackle that very luckily missed or he would have been off without a doubt, but I think Gardner was very lucky to stay on.

West Brom are very much the new Stoke, big players, good on set pieces, very physical and with their fair share of thugs.   
      ozi_wozzy
      • Forum Legend - Fagan

• 2,552 posts | 304 
      Reply #617: Dec 14, 2015 12:58:15 pm
      Such a shame not to win that game, and the manner in which we gave away the two goals. Huge possession superiority and nobody can say we didn't create clear chances. Couts missing from 6 yards out, Lallana failing to put away a one-on-one, 28 shots on goal, 8 on target, 70% possession. It's unbelievably frustrating to have Sturridge injured in this kind of game. As soon as Origi and Ibe came on to run at their defense, provide some movement, they looked vulnerable. It was Danny's type of game to convert some of those chances. We gave away two cheap goals from set piece, one silly blunder by Migs, again. But we would have lost that game last year I reckon. This time, the lads were relentlessly having a go right until the last minute, so looks like nothing wrong with the desire to win.

Having said that, we were poor in some key areas. Defending set pieces desperately need to be looked at (can't believe it's same year in year out), and our wide play was very disappointing. Until Origi and Ibe came on, there was hardly any width to our shape. That made it easier from West B to pack the defense tightly and defend easily. When we did get the opportunities to get wide and get crosses in, I was really disappointed with the quality. Henderson and Milner both put in some very poor crosses from good positions.

This should not have been a game not to win, but I was pleased with a lot of what I saw given the circumstances. Onwards and upwards.
      marska43
      • Forum Matt Busby

• 132 posts | 14 
      Reply #618: Dec 14, 2015 01:11:22 pm
      I can't imagine having to be a West Brom fan, and watch that awful, boring style of football week in and week out. Defend 99% of the day, set pieces the other 1%. The only thing worse than that, is it actually produces (mediocre) results. I knew from the team sheet what kind of day it would be. We can't have a working midfield three of Can, Hendo and Milner, along with the Benteke up top. That just leaves Couts and Lallana as the creators, the only ones with an imaginative mindset to unlock such teams. I've been saying it for a while now, but we just don't look like the Liverpool side we all love to watch when Benteke starts the game. Slow, predictable, and wasteful in the offensive third. Firmino should have started, not only is he the better striking option, but I also love to see him up front rather than in the midfield. Plays better IMO. Not much else to say about the game really. Set pieces and a goalkeeping error cost us the game. Well done to Origi, he really is showing some confidence. Hope Lovren is ok, hard to imagine what the injury actually is. Hopefully just superficial.
      Beerbelly
      • Banned

• 6,983 posts | 2054 
      Reply #619: Dec 14, 2015 01:26:24 pm
      I thought it was a premeditated foul mate. He went in and deliberately followed through raising his foot high. Skrtel did a two footed tackle that very luckily missed or he would have been off without a doubt, but I think Gardner was very lucky to stay on.

West Brom are very much the new Stoke, big players, good on set pieces, very physical and with their fair share of thugs.   

Yeah perhaps, I can see that POV.
      HamannsTheMan
      • Forum Legend - Fagan

• 3,030 posts | 1973 
      Reply #620: Dec 14, 2015 01:32:31 pm
      I wonder what your expectations are for this team. After weeks in charge what is the point of pulling them apart its just stating the bloody obvious. This isn't a championship winning side or even a side that could do well in the CL so whats the point of judging them against that level. I have seen improvements in players such as Lovren and Moreno but the fact remains morale is still fragile and we don't have a top goal scorer or a decent goalkeeper. So with that in mind what is the point of constantly picking holes in performances that are what they are with a team that is not this managers.

If I'm stating the obvious why do you blatantly tell lies and say how great we are all the time then?

What has my expectations got to do with anything? I'm discussing our performances in post match threads of how they were. You can see my posts in the city, Chelsea, Southampton threads and the praise I gave Jürgen and our boys then. But in the Newcastle thread and this one I say it how it is - we were sh*te.

You have given absolutely no criticism to this team since Klopp has come in and some of our performances have been almost identical to that under Brendan and you wouldn't shut up about how you wanted him sacked. There is no doubt in my mind if we had performed like we did yesterday under Brendan you would be the first one on here saying how bad it was and he needs to go.

I've said it before but you are a knowledgeable poster and I agree with a lot of what you say most of the time, but you're constant defence of our performances under Klopp is growing tiresome now. Its as if you're determined to defend any old display we put out because you want to be proven right about sacking Brendan and bringing in somebody of Jurgens calibre. There is nothing wrong in admitting we were sh*t and discussing what went wrong and what could be improved.

Anyway for what its worth my expectation is top 4. I don't think much of our competition and I believe in the squad we have. I think its more than capable of finishing top four. We also have a world class manager so why shouldn't we finish top four? If we beat Palace, Newcastle and WBA which on paper you would back us too, then we would be sitting on 32 points right now joint second in the league only one point behind the leaders.

But Klopp gets a free ride with me until he has a summer or two of sorting this squad out, getting rid of any dross and bringing in who he wants to play in his team. So whether we finish top four or mid table, I wont be calling for his head at the end of the season or anything of the sort, but if we played poorly one week then I'll have the bollocks to say so instead of sitting here with my tinted specs on.

Quick Reply