Trending Topics

Next match: West Ham v LFC [Premier League] Sat 27th Apr @ 12:30 pm
      London Stadium

Today is the 25th of April and on this date LFC's match record is P25 W10 D7 L8

Joel Matip - Schalke 04

Read 19272 times
      what-a-hit-son
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • Started Topic
      • 16,495 posts | 4839 
      • t: @MrPrice1979 i: @klmprice101518
      Joel Matip - Schalke 04
      Dec 17, 2015 08:29:27 am
      fields of anny rd
      • Forum Legend - Paisley

• 17,663 posts | 1961 
      Re: Joel Matip - Schalke 04
      Reply #1: Dec 17, 2015 09:17:03 am
      Hes a really commanding centre back and the first centre back we'd sign who could actually push Skrtel.
      Vicks86
      • Forum Legend - Fagan

• 3,635 posts | 273 
      Reply #2: Dec 17, 2015 10:01:32 am
      Like the idea of Matip-Sakho as our first choice pairing!  :gt-happyup:

Plays DM too.. Versatility!
      mcarz
      • Forum Legend - Paisley

• 17,179 posts | 1355 
      Reply #3: Dec 17, 2015 11:00:12 am
      Genuinely only seen him play once or twice and that was last season. If FM is anything to go by though  :roll:
      Vicks86
      • Forum Legend - Fagan

• 3,635 posts | 273 
      Reply #4: Dec 18, 2015 04:30:15 am
      Andy Hunter -

The Anfield club are also hoping to strike a pre-contract agreement in January with the Schalke defender Joël Matip, who is out of contract with the Bundesliga club next summer
      federer
      • Needs a Klopp hug
      • Forum Legend - Fagan

• 4,932 posts | 645 
      Reply #5: Dec 18, 2015 05:50:52 pm
      I don't know anything about this lad but if he's on a free then it's a step in the right direction.  FSG have been saying for years that they want to invest in young, quality players for little cost, players who can contribute now but have high sell-on value as well. 

The problem is that they've never actually done it consistently.  Spending £35m on Carroll, £20m on Downing, £32m on Benteke, £25m on Lallana, the list goes on and on of overpriced players who are NOT young and have little sell on value. 

Whether or not the FSG model works, that's the entire point---we have no idea if it works or not since they haven't followed their OWN rules.  I'd like to see us give it a go for a few seasons and see if there is really any merit to it.  If we sign this lad on a free and he ends up being rubbish, no problem, anything we sell him for will be something we've earned since we literally paid nothing for him.

Just thinking of all the players who we could've signed on a free in the last few years, the list is impressive: Khedira, Fabian Schär, Konoplyanka, Andre Ayew, Giovinco etc etc.  We could've had quite a few top players and paid nothing for them in terms of transfer fees.

So I like this approach, we're never going to have the money of City and Chelsea, let's see if we can be successful another way.
      ORCHARD RED
      • Forum Legend - Dalglish

• 8,526 posts | 1457 
      • 6 Times!
      Reply #6: Dec 18, 2015 06:40:51 pm
      I don't know anything about this lad but if he's on a free then it's a step in the right direction.  FSG have been saying for years that they want to invest in young, quality players for little cost, plagyers who can contribute now but have high sell-on value as well. 

The problem is that they've never actually done it consistently.  Spending £35m on Carroll, £20m on Downing, £32m on Benteke, £25m on Lallana, the list goes on and on of overpriced players who are NOT young and have little sell on value. 

Whether or not the FSG model works, that's the entire point---we have no idea if it works or not since they haven't followed their OWN rules.  I'd like to see us give it a go for a few seasons and see if there is really any merit to it.  If we sign this lad on a free and he ends up being rubbish, no problem, anything we sell him for will be something we've earned since we literally paid nothing for him.

Just thinking of all the players who we could've signed on a free in the last few years, the list is impressive: Khedira, Fabian Schär, Konoplyanka, Andre Ayew, Giovinco etc etc.  We could've had quite a few top players and paid nothing for them in terms of transfer fees.

So I like this approach, we're never going to have the money of City and Chelsea, let's see if we can be successful another way.
      The FSG model players  we're Aspas, Alberto, Teixeria, Yesil, Manquillo, Assaidi, Cissokho, and Illori. They have tried, but with little success so far.

I guess it's not as easy as they though it would be.
      federer
      • Needs a Klopp hug
      • Forum Legend - Fagan

• 4,932 posts | 645 
      Reply #7: Dec 18, 2015 09:32:55 pm
      The FSG model players were Aspas, Alberto, Teixeria, Yesil, Manquillo, Assaidi, Cissokho, and Illori. They have tried, but with little success so far. 

Okay, I probably should have mentioned that it requires a manager willing to give said players a chance and reward them for good performances.  We didn't have that under the fraud that was Brendan Rodgers.  Just looking at the above list, Teixeira absolutely deserved a chance in the team; Manquillo put in some great performances but got benched for probably the worst player in our squad over the last few seasons (Glen Johnson).  We kept asking again and again why Manquillo couldn't get a game over Johnson.  The answer?  Because Brendan says so. 

Assaidi was never a world beater but he also had some effective performances which were not rewarded.  I remember a game at West Brom in the League Cup where he scored a couple of goals and was man of the match.  I'm pretty sure he was on the bench the next game.  We had problems breaking down teams that season and he would have been great on the wing but Rodgers refused to play him. 

Ilori is another player with immense potential but he got loaned out again and again and again.

So we'll never know if those players were really "failures" or if they suffered under the rubbish management of one Brendan Rodgers.  I love Clyne but I'm sure if he hadn't come to us, Klopp would've been able to get a lot more out of Manquillo than Rodgers ever did. 

So yes, now that we have a manager who is willing to give players like that a chance, I'd like to see if the FSG model will work.  Maybe it won't.  But we've never really given it a chance.
      ORCHARD RED
      • Forum Legend - Dalglish

• 8,526 posts | 1457 
      • 6 Times!
      Reply #8: Dec 18, 2015 11:34:44 pm
      Okay, I probably should have mentioned that it requires a manager willing to give said players a chance and reward them for good performances.  We didn't have that under the fraud that was Brendan Rodgers.  Just looking at the above list, Teixeira absolutely deserved a chance in the team; Manquillo put in some great performances but got benched for probably the worst player in our squad over the last few seasons (Glen Johnson).  We kept asking again and again why Manquillo couldn't get a game over Johnson.  The answer?  Because Brendan says so. 

Assaidi was never a world beater but he also had some effective performances which were not rewarded.  I remember a game at West Brom in the League Cup where he scored a couple of goals and was man of the match.  I'm pretty sure he was on the bench the next game.  We had problems breaking down teams that season and he would have been great on the wing but Rodgers refused to play him. 

Ilori is another player with immense potential but he got loaned out again and again and again.

So we'll never know if those players were really "failures" or if they suffered under the rubbish management of one Brendan Rodgers.  I love Clyne but I'm sure if he hadn't come to us, Klopp would've been able to get a lot more out of Manquillo than Rodgers ever did. 

So yes, now that we have a manager who is willing to give players like that a chance, I'd like to see if the FSG model will work.  Maybe it won't.  But we've never really given it a chance.

I agree Brendan should have given all players the chance to prove themselves, and I'm sure Klopp is the man to get the best out the players.
      I don't however want to see a team made up entirely of promising prospects, there must be some top players in there for the young lads to learn from.
      There can't be a situation again where players the manager doesn't want are forced onto him, which was part of the problem with Brendan. I hope the committee have learned from there mistakes.
      bigmick
      • Forum Legend - Paisley

• 10,078 posts | 2767 
      Reply #9: Dec 20, 2015 12:04:14 pm
      It's a shame the football authorities stick with that pesky "eleven players on the pitch at the same time rule", then even "that fraud Rodgers" could have given all those lads a fair crack.
      Vicks86
      • Forum Legend - Fagan

• 3,635 posts | 273 
      Reply #10: Dec 22, 2015 07:05:14 pm
      If Skrtel is really out for a long time and if Matip is really the #1 CB target, its a no-brainer to offer Schalke 5-6 mil in Jan and get him in asap!
      Binomial
      • Forum Ian Callaghan

• 885 posts | 37 
      • Doing things over and expecting different results
      Reply #11: Dec 22, 2015 07:45:36 pm
      we are literally down to bare ones at the minute squad wise, at the back especially we're a disaster.

klopp has to pick 2 from a 75 year old pensioner, a cartoon character disguised as a footballer and well... lovren
      LFC VAN
      • Forum Youth Player

• 5 posts |
      Reply #12: Jan 05, 2016 06:16:53 am
      Hello i,m from Vancouver and a big Liverpool fan . We get almost all Liverpool games live & on Fri /Sat 4-5 german games live as well.  Watched Schalke a few times & Matip is tall /skinny does but not  very powerful .  Skertl & Lovren are both better than Matip.
      HScRed1
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 20,182 posts | 4404 
      Reply #13: Jan 13, 2016 11:37:21 am
      Vicks86
      • Forum Legend - Fagan

• 3,635 posts | 273 
      Reply #14: Jan 13, 2016 01:56:39 pm
      If David Maddock who is usually very reliable is true in this case, this will calm the F**k down those people questioning the loan signing of Caulker. Clearly the guy is stop gap until Matip joins us, or if he proves himself we let Kolo move on and becomes our 4th or 5ht choice CB, with Ilori possibly leaving
      TheRedMosquito
      • Forum Legend - Paisley

• 12,201 posts | 633 
      • Elmore James got nothin' on this baby!
      Reply #15: Jan 13, 2016 02:36:01 pm

I think is a great deal if it comes through. And the fact that we'd be signing Matip on a free too? Even better.
      Red Barrovian
      • Forum Legend - Fagan

• 4,356 posts | 77 
      Reply #16: Jan 13, 2016 02:46:21 pm
      Quality player. Said when we were first linked with him that I'd happily pay £10m for him, to get him on a free is a fantastic piece of business.
      Lio Varadkar
      • Forum Emlyn Hughes

• 785 posts | 66 
      Reply #17: Jan 14, 2016 04:44:28 pm
      Always question character and proffesionalism of a player who run their contract down. I dont like that attitude one bit. You wouldnt be that player Joel if it wasnt for Schalke and a chance they have given you.
      mcarz
      • Forum Legend - Paisley

• 17,179 posts | 1355 
      Reply #18: Jan 14, 2016 04:50:50 pm
      Always question character and proffesionalism of a player who run their contract down. I dont like that attitude one bit. You wouldnt be that player Joel if it wasnt for Schalke and a chance they have given you.

Schalke could have sold him at any point or offered him a new contract sooner.
      TheRedMosquito
      • Forum Legend - Paisley

• 12,201 posts | 633 
      • Elmore James got nothin' on this baby!
      Reply #19: Jan 14, 2016 04:55:37 pm

Free transfers in England are fairly uncommon, but actually fairly standard in Europe. When you look at Germany in particular, besides Bayern no one spends stupid money as a lot of players move on free transfers or for low fees near the ends of their contracts.
      FL Red
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 31,309 posts | 6374 
      Reply #20: Jan 14, 2016 06:10:28 pm

Silly post. Not even sure how to respond it's so silly. His obligation only extends as long as he's under contract.
      Diego LFC
      • Forum Legend - Paisley

• 19,332 posts | 2832 
      • Sempre Liverpool
      Reply #21: Jan 14, 2016 07:51:37 pm

Respecting a contract is very professional in my books. He's under no obligation to sign an extension.
      -LFC-
      • Forum Legend - Fagan

• 4,209 posts | 1213 
      Reply #22: Jan 14, 2016 07:57:37 pm
      Silly post. Not even sure how to respond it's so silly. His obligation only extends as long as he's under contract.

So long as it's quality players who want to join LFC who feel that way, and not our own best players, it's all good.

Quick Reply