Trending Topics

Next match: Fulham v LFC [Premier League] Sun 21st Apr @ 4:30 pm
      Craven Cottage

Today is the 19th of April and on this date LFC's match record is P32 W19 D8 L5

Joel Matip - Schalke 04

Read 19262 times
      FL Red
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 31,226 posts | 6352 
      Re: Joel Matip - Schalke 04
      Reply #23: Jan 14, 2016 08:19:46 pm
      So long as it's quality players who want to join LFC who feel that way, and not our own best players, it's all good.

If our own players want to run their contracts down, I have no issue with that. That's why they've signed a contract. It's not like teams don't sell players before their contracts run out. It works both ways.
      -LFC-
      • Forum Legend - Fagan

• 4,194 posts | 1205 
      Reply #24: Jan 14, 2016 08:47:50 pm
      If our own players want to run their contracts down, I have no issue with that. That's why they've signed a contract. It's not like teams don't sell players before their contracts run out. It works both ways.

I'm not doubting they have the freedom to do that mate, but there is still a place IMO for feeling a bit pissed off if a player who could command a decent fee decides to run their contract down. 
      FL Red
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 31,226 posts | 6352 
      Reply #25: Jan 14, 2016 09:00:38 pm
      I'm not doubting they have the freedom to do that mate, but there is still a place IMO for feeling a bit pissed off if a player who could command a decent fee decides to run their contract down. 

But see, in "commanding" that fee we are basically saying it's perfectly fine for the club to show no loyalty and sell a player when they can get the most money, but the player is disloyal if they see out their contract and move to a team of their choosing?
      Billy1
      • Forum Legend - Paisley

• 10,638 posts | 1966 
      Reply #26: Jan 14, 2016 09:16:39 pm

Ask any RED what they thought when McManaman and Micky Owen run their contracts down,they are still detested by most to this day for the way they did it.
      harrydunn08
      • Forum Legend - Dalglish

• 5,917 posts | 957 
      Reply #27: Jan 14, 2016 09:29:42 pm
      Ask any RED what they thought when McManaman and Micky Owen run their contracts down,they are still detested by most to this day for the way they did it.

That honestly didn't bother me.  Both players just did what they thought was best for their career -- the same as you, me, or anyone else on here would do.  What did bother me was Owen going to Utd.... that is unforgivable!!
      FL Red
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 31,226 posts | 6352 
      Reply #28: Jan 14, 2016 09:42:18 pm
      That honestly didn't bother me.  Both players just did what they thought was best for their career -- the same as you, me, or anyone else on here would do.  What did bother me was Owen going to Utd.... that is unforgivable!!

I was much more irritated that Luis tried to engineer a move to Arsenal, would have much rather he ran down his contract with us and then moved on.
      bigears
      • Forum Legend - Dalglish

• 6,125 posts | 287 
      • My bird looks great in red
      Reply #29: Jan 14, 2016 09:49:53 pm
      I don't know anything about this lad but if he's on a free then it's a step in the right direction.  FSG have been saying for years that they want to invest in young, quality players for little cost, players who can contribute now but have high sell-on value as well. 

The problem is that they've never actually done it consistently.  Spending £35m on Carroll, £20m on Downing, £32m on Benteke, £25m on Lallana, the list goes on and on of overpriced players who are NOT young and have little sell on value. 

Whether or not the FSG model works, that's the entire point---we have no idea if it works or not since they haven't followed their OWN rules.  I'd like to see us give it a go for a few seasons and see if there is really any merit to it.  If we sign this lad on a free and he ends up being rubbish, no problem, anything we sell him for will be something we've earned since we literally paid nothing for him.

Just thinking of all the players who we could've signed on a free in the last few years, the list is impressive: Khedira, Fabian Schär, Konoplyanka, Andre Ayew, Giovinco etc etc.  We could've had quite a few top players and paid nothing for them in terms of transfer fees.

So I like this approach, we're never going to have the money of City and Chelsea, let's see if we can be successful another way.
      This is the way to go for sure mate . Sick to death of the big cash deals and never working out for us and it seems like a never ending story season after season . When we were linked to benteke in the summer i thought no way we couldn't make the same mistake like carroll again , but we did and the amount of supporters who were dismayed at the idea was massive and nobody on the tc listened . They just don't seem to learn , if we're going to take a gamble then go away down the lower leagues and for a few million quid sign a few players who may fit the bill and if it works out then that would be great and if it doesn't then i'd prefer to lose a few million rather than £32 million on a donkey .

AussieRed
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 20,684 posts | 6690 
      • You'll Never Walk Alone
      Reply #30: Jan 14, 2016 10:22:12 pm
      Quality player. Said when we were first linked with him that I'd happily pay £10m for him, to get him on a free is a fantastic piece of business.

Hey RB

So me not knowing anything about this lad but always looking for what respected posters think....can you give me or us a quick summation of this lad and what he will bring to LFC?
      -LFC-
      • Forum Legend - Fagan

• 4,194 posts | 1205 
      Reply #31: Jan 14, 2016 10:31:02 pm
      But see, in "commanding" that fee we are basically saying it's perfectly fine for the club to show no loyalty and sell a player when they can get the most money, but the player is disloyal if they see out their contract and move to a team of their choosing?

Give me an instance of a club being disloyal to a player by selling them? Far more often than not the player calls the shots, not the club, and even when a player is sold against his will there is usually a good reason for it. And at the end of it he'll still be getting paid a good wage (maybe even a higher wage) and playing for a good club (maybe even a club that proves to be better). When a player who would otherwise have commanded a good fee leaves at the end of his contract the club gets nothing and if I was a supporter who had cheered that player on that would piss me off, just like it did when Owen and McManaman f*cked off.
      Lio Varadkar
      • Forum Emlyn Hughes

• 785 posts | 66 
      Reply #32: Jan 14, 2016 11:30:08 pm
      This was my stance as well. Anyway, he looks to be a real deal and its all that matter in the end.
      Billy1
      • Forum Legend - Paisley

• 10,638 posts | 1966 
      Reply #33: Jan 15, 2016 06:24:47 am

Harry I understand what you are saying but with Owen especially he had made it clear to all L.F.C.upporters that he would sign a new contract,what the tw*t didn't say was the contract would be with Real Madrid.
       Back on topic any advance on Matip signing for us.
      what-a-hit-son
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • Started Topic
      • 16,475 posts | 4821 
      • t: @MrPrice1979 i: @klmprice101518
      Reply #34: Jan 15, 2016 11:01:12 am
      craglad
      • Forum Legend - Benitez

• 1,009 posts | 25 
      Reply #35: Jan 27, 2016 02:09:31 pm
      Sky sports saying we've put a bid in for him.
      MarkMitt
      • Forum Legend - Fagan

• 2,800 posts | 337 
      • Give it your best every time!
      Reply #36: Jan 27, 2016 02:24:11 pm
      Don't know why, but I thought this was already done and he was coming here in the summer? Guess not.
      craglad
      • Forum Legend - Benitez

• 1,009 posts | 25 
      Reply #37: Jan 27, 2016 02:27:26 pm
      Don't know why, but I thought this was already done and he was coming here in the summer? Guess not.

Have you not seen our defence?
      reddebs
      • "LFC Hipster"
      • Forum Legend - Paisley

• 17,980 posts | 2264 
      Reply #38: Jan 27, 2016 02:29:29 pm
      Maybe Jürgen's decided we need him now rather than waiting till summer and/or it's possible that Schalke have now agreed to let him go this window.

We're still desperate for a quality CB so if he's available, get him in.
      FL Red
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 31,226 posts | 6352 
      Reply #39: Jan 27, 2016 03:03:52 pm
      Maybe Jürgen's decided we need him now rather than waiting till summer and/or it's possible that Schalke have now agreed to let him go this window.

We're still desperate for a quality CB so if he's available, get him in.

That's how I'm reading these new "reports". Jürgen doesn't want to wait to get him free and is willing to pay to ensure he gets him now.

Texieria, Shaka and Matip, what a January window that would be.
      reddebs
      • "LFC Hipster"
      • Forum Legend - Paisley

• 17,980 posts | 2264 
      Reply #40: Jan 27, 2016 03:12:04 pm
      That's how I'm reading these new "reports". Jürgen doesn't want to wait to get him free and is willing to pay to ensure he gets him now.

Don't forget tying up Grujic for the summer too mate.
      mcarz
      • Forum Legend - Paisley

• 17,179 posts | 1355 
      Reply #41: Jan 27, 2016 03:32:00 pm

Whilst that would be a great window, I really doubt we sign all of those. I've seen comments from people that we've shown no active interest in Xhaka so far and Teix is looking debatable at the moment with the way negotiations have gone.
      FL Red
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 31,226 posts | 6352 
      Reply #42: Jan 27, 2016 03:56:18 pm
      Whilst that would be a great window, I really doubt we sign all of those. I've seen comments from people that we've shown no active interest in Xhaka so far and Teix is looking debatable at the moment with the way negotiations have gone.
      Well to be honest that would be more like us. ;D
      Vicks86
      • Forum Legend - Fagan

• 3,635 posts | 273 
      Reply #43: Jan 27, 2016 05:02:14 pm

"No chance" was what Schalke probably told us, hence we made a short term signing in Caulker.

As for Xhaka or any other central midfield player, we have signed Grujic. CM/DM would probably NOT happen in the summer cos I think we'll focus on a striker and a winger.

Like I said, I would rather have 3 30mil players over 6 15mil players
      mcarz
      • Forum Legend - Paisley

• 17,179 posts | 1355 
      Reply #44: Jan 27, 2016 05:21:00 pm
      "No chance" was what Schalke probably told us, hence we made a short term signing in Caulker.

As for Xhaka or any other central midfield player, we have signed Grujic. CM/DM would probably NOT happen in the summer cos I think we'll focus on a striker and a winger.

Like I said, I would rather have 3 30mil players over 6 15mil players

Yet you're saying no to one of those players in Xhaka?
      Vicks86
      • Forum Legend - Fagan

• 3,635 posts | 273 
      Reply #45: Jan 27, 2016 06:33:11 pm
      Yet you're saying no to one of those players in Xhaka?

Bud, I meant someone like Xhaka might not happen cos winger & striker positions are more pressing needs, would rather shell the money on those first and then focus on the midfield

Quick Reply