Trending Topics

Next match: v [] Thu 1st Jan @ 1:00 am

Today is the 23rd of May and on this date LFC's match record is P9 W4 D1 L4

Language Barrier?

Read 5635 times
      lfc across the water
      • Needs a Klopp hug...Rafa's Number 1 fan...VAR has no faults Promoter
      • Forum Legend - Fagan
      • Started Topic

• 3,882 posts | 704 
      Language Barrier?
      Dec 22, 2015 08:31:56 am
      Is there an English language barrier with some members of the current squad?

Three key members of the squad are known to have poor, or no level of English.  Coutinho is never interviewed after games, even after he sets up or scores the winning goal(s). He recently conducted an interview with a British newspaper. But after three years here, Lucas was still required to translate for him.

Moreno was interviewed recently for LFCTV. The interview was conducted in Spanish. After 18 months of playing in England, his English should at least be passable for an interview.

Firmino apparently doesn't even have basic levels of English, and is said to communicate with Klopp in German. How are players supposed to play well if they don't understand the basics of what the coach expects of them?

Now I accept that we have many foreign nationals in our squad and we can't expect new signings to take to the lingo as quickly as Jan Molby, who had adopted the Scouse accent within two years of arriving and still has it. While Aldo and McManaman are two of the very few ex-players who went abroad and had no problems with speaking the local language. Rodgers is a fluent Spanish speaker which I'm sure came in handy with the likes of Moreno and Suarez. Klopp being German, speaks a number of foreign languages, of which English is probably the easiest for him.

Other clubs insist on new foreign signings having good English before they arrive. So is it important that everyone in the team has reasonable levels of English, or can it affect player performance if they don't?
      Vicks86
      • Forum Legend - Fagan

• 3,635 posts | 273 
      Re: Language Barrier?
      Reply #1: Dec 22, 2015 08:51:31 am
      Isn't Klopp good at Spanish?!
      federer
      • Needs a Klopp hug
      • Forum Legend - Fagan

• 4,932 posts | 645 
      Reply #2: Dec 22, 2015 10:38:41 am
      This is a really interesting topic and one I've been thinking about a bit lately.  I speak a few languages, some better than others, and it's always frustrated me when I see an interview, pre or post match, with a player or manager whose native language is not English, and the reporters just assume that if they speak some English, it means that they will understand them.  There's the CEFR, which is the "official" way to determine the level someone speaks a language at, going from A1 (total beginner) to C2 (when you speak almost as well as native speakers).  So if you wanted to, say, go work in France, you might need a B2 (high intermediate) or a C1 (low advanced) certificate, and they have tests that correspond with those levels.

Klopp, for example, his English is not that great.  that's no knock on him, he is already improving and he's only been here a short while, but I can't believe some of the obscure expressions they use in his pressers, they speak as fast as they would with a native speaker, they use these very regional colloquialisms etc.  And you can tell that sometimes he doesn't understand the questions.  I would be very interested to know what the club is doing to help him improve his English as well.  For example, he's been here almost two months and he is still saying to "make" a goal, instead of "score" a goal.  "We had a lot of possession but we could not make a goal."  I can't believe no one has said "hey gaffer, the right expression is to "score" a goal."  It would take two seconds.  The good thing is his English is already starting to improve.

Van Gaal for example has another problem with that, whenever he uses the future tense he says "shall" instead of "will."  I noticed that on MOTD, he says stuff like "he is injured, so he shall not play tomorrow."  No one has told him either that no one says "shall" anymore, it's not 1800.  A manager whose English is really good and surprised me is Bilic, he speaks very well, really intricately, probably C1 I'd say.  The best one obviously is Wenger, his English is flawless, but then again he's been here for 20 years.

I think the players can do it if they set their minds to it.  Anyone can learn a language at any age.  Tevez never wanted to work on his English so he never did.  Masch on the other hand speaks almost perfect English.  Even Suarez made an attempt to learn it.  The players can do it if they put some effort into it.  Maybe some of them just don't think it's worth it.
      TheleftpegofRayKennedy
      • Forum Legend - Benitez

• 1,053 posts | 342 
      Reply #3: Dec 22, 2015 10:54:41 am
      Is the problem with language more prevalent on the pitch than in the dressing room and on the training pitches?

I mean, if you're captain Henderson, with a broad Mackem accent, how do you make yourself understood out there by players with very limited English? 
      MIRO
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 12,989 posts | 3124 
      • Trust The Universe
      Reply #4: Dec 22, 2015 11:00:33 am
      Ball + Foot =  Goal !

Simples.
      5timesacharm
      • Forum Legend - Fagan

• 4,507 posts | 948 
      Reply #5: Dec 22, 2015 11:03:42 am
      How many of Arsenal or City's squad do you see being interviewed after their matches? Language barrier doesn't seem to be affecting their performances. Let's not use this to absolve the players from their piss poor performances over the last eighteen months. I think they just use it as an excuse to swerve press conferences and let's be honest, who can blame them?
      David Wright
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 5,326 posts | 773 
      Reply #6: Dec 22, 2015 11:05:34 am
      Football such a simple game ( Unlike cricket so I am told  ). Outscore the opposition you win the game.
      TheleftpegofRayKennedy
      • Forum Legend - Benitez

• 1,053 posts | 342 
      Reply #7: Dec 22, 2015 11:12:31 am
      Agreed, and we're probably looking too deeply into it for the sake of topics of conversation, but it is an issue I've felt has been there for a long time.  We seem to have a very quiet team of players, and it does appear that communication between them is a problem.
      5timesacharm
      • Forum Legend - Fagan

• 4,507 posts | 948 
      Reply #8: Dec 22, 2015 12:17:13 pm
      Agreed, and we're probably looking too deeply into it for the sake of topics of conversation, but it is an issue I've felt has been there for a long time.  We seem to have a very quiet team of players, and it does appear that communication between them is a problem.

We have long had foreign players in the side without the problems we have now. Our two most senior players - Skrtel and Lucas - are both fluent in English but mute on the football field. The issue we have is a lack of leadership amongst the players, not a lack of linguistic skills. That and the fact that some of them simply are not good enough to play for a team with our aspirations.
      MIRO
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 12,989 posts | 3124 
      • Trust The Universe
      Reply #9: Dec 22, 2015 01:08:01 pm
      We had language problems with    Shanks    St John   Yeats  Dalglish  Souness  Hansen etc .
       ;)

As for Uncle Bob ...
      7-King Kenny-7
      • Lives on Sesame Street
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 44,014 posts | 5760 
      • You'll Never Walk Alone!
      Reply #10: Dec 22, 2015 10:36:54 pm
      AS it says on football manager. "Football is a universal language, I have no concerns".

How are players supposed to play well if they don't understand the basics of what the coach expects of them?

I think all players that come to this club should learn the language but some will obviously find it much easier than others. Look at Torres, it took him up until like March to be able to do an interview for a game and even then his English wasn't great but he got 33 goals that season. You make it sound as though not knowing the language will hamper their game but it's far from the truth because there are enough players/staff at a club to translate for them. Aguero managed to get by and I don't think his English is good, Tevez could barely speak a word of English, Beckham took a while with Spanish and there are so many more across the world in all different leagues but they get on just fine. Ultimately, if you are a good player the language isn't a big deal because we've had proof of it ourselves that some players can just find that click straight away regardless. Torres and Suarez both did for us far, far sooner than they could speak English to even a half decent standard.

Klopp, for example, his English is not that great.  that's no knock on him, he is already improving and he's only been here a short while, but I can't believe some of the obscure expressions they use in his pressers, they speak as fast as they would with a native speaker, they use these very regional colloquialisms etc.

Germans are taught English from a young age in school. Klopp's is actually pretty good but can see he needs to brush up on his English but then again, he's had no need for it working in Germany for as long as he was. Seems to know the swear words really well though.
      Billy1
      • Forum Legend - Paisley

• 10,638 posts | 1966 
      Reply #11: Dec 23, 2015 06:28:15 am
      I bet they would all be able to say whats happened with my wages this week if they were paid short  or the wages were not paid at all.
       Could this language barrier be the problem for so many  fuckups in our defence. :o
      waltonl4
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 37,669 posts | 7156 
      Reply #12: Dec 23, 2015 09:55:59 am
      what did the great man say "if in doubt put it in the back of the net" They understand what they want to.
      skolRED
      • Forum Legend - Fagan

• 3,176 posts | 265 
      Reply #13: Dec 25, 2015 03:40:42 am
      No talk with teammates during a game is mentality problem not language barrier.

I really love someone called the like of Firmino and Lallana a fragile flower but can't remember where I read it  :).

If players truly get it hard to understand what the manager talk to them then why the holy F**k JK keep scream all the time every game.   
      ORCHARD RED
      • Forum Legend - Dalglish

• 8,526 posts | 1457 
      • 6 Times!
      Reply #14: Dec 25, 2015 06:50:00 am
      There should be no reason why the players don't learn to speak English, it's not like they're working 40 hours a week in a factory and can't find the time!
      welshred
      • Forum David Johnson

• 218 posts | 128 
      Reply #15: Dec 29, 2015 07:25:36 pm
      I doubt any of the Champions League winning squad could understand Carragher yet they still managed to do well enough to win it. Then again, his facial expressions and body language do say all that needs to be said.

:D

what-a-hit-son
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 16,506 posts | 4850 
      • t: @MrPrice1979 i: @klmprice101518
      Reply #16: Dec 29, 2015 07:49:55 pm
      Coutinho's English is still poor. Possible simpleton in school that one, I can tell. I could imagine him having problems with the language barrier.
      -LFC-
      • Forum Legend - Fagan

• 4,245 posts | 1226 
      Reply #17: Dec 29, 2015 08:02:53 pm
      I reckon you could take a tribe of uncontacted people and teach them the game in no time at all.

Professionals who are paid millions and who've been playing the game for years can have no excuses at all.
      7-King Kenny-7
      • Lives on Sesame Street
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 44,014 posts | 5760 
      • You'll Never Walk Alone!
      Reply #18: Dec 29, 2015 08:06:01 pm
      I doubt any of the Champions League winning squad could understand Carragher yet they still managed to do well enough to win it. Then again, his facial expressions and body language do say all that needs to be said.

That's reminded me of that disaster "Being Liverpool" that was on when BR took over and they actually subtitled Carra.
      what-a-hit-son
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 16,506 posts | 4850 
      • t: @MrPrice1979 i: @klmprice101518
      Reply #19: Dec 29, 2015 08:07:21 pm
      That's reminded me of that disaster "Being Liverpool" that was on when BR took over and they actually subtitled Carra.

Was funny that like.
      clint_call01
      • King Live Match Starter
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 11,727 posts | 3741 
      • Ynwa... lfc till I die !
      Reply #20: Dec 31, 2015 10:54:41 am
      I'm a foreigner but in Malta English is the official second language of the country. The government sends his letter both in Maltese and in English.

The players need basic English, they need to know these words: Man on, pass, behind, shot, quick, tackle, push, run, go, take a breather, aggressive, push out, drop deeper, flanks etc

If they do not know these after 6 months they should not play. As a teacher myself (not of English), Liverpool needs an English teacher full time.
      lfc across the water
      • Forum Legend - Fagan
      • Started Topic

• 3,882 posts | 704 
      Reply #21: Jan 01, 2016 11:57:25 pm
      In Malta, English isn't often spoken imo. Italian appears to be more popular along with the local language, despite most people having English first names. Local media never speak English unless it's unavoidable, which usually means with foreigners.

I think it's essential that you learn to speak the local language if working there. It's not just needed on the pitch, but more importantly off it also, as there are often no translators available, and unlike with other languages, you'll always find somebody who understands you if you can speak English, even in the remotest outpost.

Back to us and Firmino again. He played at Watford recently, and the game was not going to plan. So when Klopp has to give his half time group chat in English in situations like that, how is Robert supposed to know what's going on, or more importantly, what he needs to do to turn the game around?
      lfc across the water
      • Forum Legend - Fagan
      • Started Topic

• 3,882 posts | 704 
      Reply #22: Jan 16, 2016 09:02:38 am
      With Klopp, we still "make" goals 3 months in. Sometimes.

His English may not be fluent, and we're still scratching our heads over what exactly "the salt in the soup" is, but the declaration that the washed up oap down the road is the "John Lennon" of football was a glaring error. If Roy or Rodgers said it instead, I reckon the pitchforks would be coming out.

He needs to learn more Scouse as well.

Quick Reply