Trending Topics

Next match: v [] Thu 1st Jan @ 1:00 am

Today is the 23rd of May and on this date LFC's match record is P9 W4 D1 L4

Attainable "leaders"

Read 6626 times
      AussieRed
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 20,882 posts | 6816 
      • You'll Never Walk Alone
      Re: Attainable "leaders"
      Reply #23: Dec 22, 2015 08:01:40 pm
      We don't have a single player capable of dragging us out of the sh*t the way Stevie or Luis did.

Am sure Jürgen will rectify that come next season.
      KS67
      • Forum Legend - Fagan

• 4,475 posts | 463 
      Reply #24: Dec 22, 2015 09:06:04 pm
      We don't have a single player capable of dragging us out of the sh*t the way Stevie or Luis did.

Steven Gerrard dragged us out the sh*t because he was capable of it. Not just because he wanted it.

Ability and leadership go hand in hand in my opinion.
      waltonl4
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 37,669 posts | 7156 
      Reply #25: Dec 22, 2015 10:40:34 pm
      After Souness left we had a terrible time trying to replace him and in truth we never did. we are not going to find another Souness now the game has changed so much that aggression of any sort on the pitch is punished.i think we have bought technically good players but they don't have to be here it doesn't mean enough to them. Having LFC on the CV at the end of their careers will look great but it seems that the modern super rich footballers have no love for football no love for LFC and money is their only motivating force how else can you explain the massive swing in form from beating City and Southampton to getting twatted by Watford they don't need to win its only when they want to they show up.
      vulcan_red
      • Forum Legend - Fagan

• 2,580 posts | 212 
      Reply #26: Dec 22, 2015 10:49:26 pm
      I like the topic. We need leaders but not necessarily ones who kick open the doors of the Hoops Bar with a Rangers top on.
      We need intelligent footballers with experience. Proffesionals. I love players like Lucas and Fabio Aurelio. They have quality, they do their job and they are clever. Those guys didn't cost a fortune. The other type is a Carragher or even a Flanagan, fully committed they don't ocst a lot either.
      JD
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 39,682 posts | 6976 
      Reply #27: Dec 22, 2015 11:44:52 pm
      People may or may not agree with me but I'd say the likes of Pepe Reina would have more leadership in our team now than the rest of them.

In all areas of the pitch when Benítez left 5 years ago I'd say our team had more togetherness and far more 'captains'.
      mcarz
      • Forum Legend - Paisley

• 17,179 posts | 1355 
      Reply #28: Dec 22, 2015 11:55:42 pm
      People may or may not agree with me but I'd say the likes of Pepe Reina would have more leadership in our team now than the rest of them.

In all areas of the pitch when Benítez left 5 years ago I'd say our team had more togetherness and far more 'captains'.

If Reina was at the club now then he would be a prime candidate for captaincy IMO. I agree with your last point too.

When it came to Reina you would always see him communicating with his back line, bollocking players, praising them and his mad dash celebrations to the other side of the pitch were immense. He would somehow always be the first one to jump on the goalscorer. He started to decline in his latter years at the club but
      bigmick
      • Forum Legend - Paisley

• 10,078 posts | 2767 
      Reply #29: Dec 23, 2015 12:02:17 am

You might be right. They achieved a similar amount to what this lot are doing though, winning f*** all for four seasons and ending up 7th in the league. This lot are on course to match them, I'm not sure they were quite the halcyon days that some make out. I know we were the number one ranked team in the prestigious UEFA rankings but weren't winning bugger all.

srslfc
      • Forum Legend - Shankly

• 32,335 posts | 4960 
      Reply #30: Dec 23, 2015 12:31:17 am

Pepe is definitely a leader.

Is he good enough now though?

I'm not convinced.

Agree on the squad Rafa left though and there were leaders a plenty left when he was fired.
      -LFC-
      • Forum Legend - Fagan

• 4,245 posts | 1226 
      Reply #31: Dec 23, 2015 12:40:54 am
      Pepe is definitely a leader.

Is he good enough now though?

I'm not convinced.

Agree on the squad Rafa left though and there were leaders a plenty left when he was fired.

Don't agree mate. We finished 7th & bombed out of all the cups with that squad, which doesn't fit with having leaders aplenty IMO.
      JD
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 39,682 posts | 6976 
      Reply #32: Dec 23, 2015 12:57:56 am
      They achieved a similar amount to what this lot are doing though, winning f*** all for four seasons and ending up 7th in the league. This lot are on course to match them, I'm not sure they were quite the halcyon days that some make out.

Liverpool 2005-2010 were a huge level above Liverpool 2010-2015 and you do yourself a massive disservice by trying to fool people otherwise.

You know it and everyone else does.
      KS67
      • Forum Legend - Fagan

• 4,475 posts | 463 
      Reply #33: Dec 23, 2015 01:17:59 am
      Liverpool 2005-2010 were a huge level above Liverpool 2010-2015 and you do yourself a massive disservice by trying to fool people otherwise.

I agree, but that was a better squad.

I think Pepe Reina knew he was boss. He knew his teammates were boss. He knew his manager was boss. He knew the coaching staff were boss.

Therefore he acted like a leader. So did others as well. Because they knew their level and when they slipped below it. I don't think this Liverpool side knows their level.

They don't believe they are that good. I think they look around for others to bail them out and don't see the quality and know they don't have it themselves.

This side lacks ability primarily, not only leaders.

s@int
      • Forum Legend - Paisley

• 14,987 posts | 2282 
      Reply #34: Dec 23, 2015 06:19:34 am

There is no doubt in my mind that the 2005-10 team was a huge level above the present side, but sadly for a team with 3 or 4 world class players in it, to win nothing for 4 years with such great players was a huge disappointment and doesn't reflect just how good they were or how good the team should have been.

Stick the team from that era in todays league and they would probably have it won by March. Of the players we have had since then probably only Suarez would be certain of getting a place in that team.

Ironic that the more good players we got the less we won.

RobieSlick
      • Forum Legend - Fagan

• 2,759 posts | 259 
      Reply #35: Dec 23, 2015 06:55:07 am
      I think theres full agreement amongst reds that we severely lack leaders on the pitch. But what players are out there that are classed as leaders but who are viable options? Lets be honest not too many leading players at clubs competing ta champions league level are going to look at us at the minute and say "that's the club for me"

So lets keep it at realistic options     

Our leader left season before last. He could have knocked few heads together in last 3 matches. We have none, Henderson is not a real leather (yet).

Fuuuuuuuuking fsg, they should have given him couple of seasons & given him some experience of management, some lower capacity in staff in IHMO.

Anyway that's my 2p worth.
      skolRED
      • Forum Legend - Fagan

• 3,176 posts | 265 
      Reply #36: Dec 23, 2015 07:53:04 am
      Don't agree mate. We finished 7th & bombed out of all the cups with that squad, which doesn't fit with having leaders aplenty IMO.

Mate but you knew well football is never a mathematics. Look at Chelsea now, they are full of world class players and staffs but that never guarantee the result and performance. It's more than that, and the ending of Rafa is not much different.
      biki
      • Never negative about anything. Apart from LFC, Klopp, etc etc.
      • Forum John Barnes

• 419 posts | 47 
      Reply #37: Dec 23, 2015 03:45:12 pm
      We need players who are mentally strong enough to not be affected by what is going on around them. Even if we were playing bad Suarz or Gerrard could have pulled something of to create something or get a reaction from the rest of the team. The players now are sheep, they just follow but they have nobody to set an example.

Henderson is a great footballer when we are playing superb, not so great when we are poor, he is still young captain wise and he may learn how to lead by example yet.

Milner lets face it does not have the quality to lead by example, yes he is a good example of the attitude to have for younger players, but that is all.

Lucas also lacks the skill, he also does not strike me as an emotional player which is needed for this.

I'm not counting defenders in this as I dont think they can hugely effect forward play.
      -LFC-
      • Forum Legend - Fagan

• 4,245 posts | 1226 
      Reply #38: Dec 23, 2015 05:15:19 pm
      Mate but you knew well football is never a mathematics. Look at Chelsea now, they are full of world class players and staffs but that never guarantee the result and performance. It's more than that, and the ending of Rafa is not much different.

Chelsea is a bit of a one-off. Normally teams that win the top trophies have enough of the right characters in their ranks to ensure that minimum standards are met.

I didn't see that in the team that finished 7th and bombed out of all the cups in 09/10. I certainly agree that previous squads did have that (and they ought to have won more) but not the one bequeathed Rafa's successors.
      5timesacharm
      • Forum Legend - Fagan

• 4,507 posts | 948 
      Reply #39: Dec 23, 2015 07:57:15 pm

This is precisely it. Would either of those players have allowed the team to mope around the field feeling sorry for themselves after we conceded from another set piece at the weekend? Would they sh*t. However, we need Leaders and World class players, not necessarily Leaders who are World Class players.
      Boot
      • Forum Ian St John

• 438 posts |
      Reply #40: Dec 23, 2015 08:02:09 pm
      Like Hansen said....you can't win anything with Kids!

Also losing the scouse influence, we seem to have lost our identity.

We are definitely searching for the next Gerrard, Carragher, etc.
      MIRO
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 12,989 posts | 3124 
      • Trust The Universe
      Reply #41: Dec 23, 2015 09:04:36 pm
      There is no doubt in my mind that the 2005-10 team was a huge level above the present side, but sadly for a team with 3 or 4 world class players in it, to win nothing for 4 years with such great players was a huge disappointment and doesn't reflect just how good they were or how good the team should have been.

Stick the team from that era in todays league and they would probably have it won by March. Of the players we have had since then probably only Suarez would be certain of getting a place in that team.

Pepe  Mascher  Torres  Agger  Stevie   Carra  and the rest.
      By January methinks.

Standout players ...  which today we have none in the team.  Not one of the like.

5timesacharm
      • Forum Legend - Fagan

• 4,507 posts | 948 
      Reply #42: Dec 24, 2015 12:06:36 am

The unfortunate thing is that back then we only had United, Chelsea and Arsenal to worry about. In the interim we've seen the rise of City and rejuvenation of Spurs plus other teams have become even more difficult to beat so even on a good year we have six teams to compete against rather than three as we did five years ago. Add to that five years of transfer disasters and an unbalanced squad and its no wonder we're in such disarray.
      Pear
      • Forum Legend - Benitez

• 1,281 posts | 79 
      • Me, i always tell the truth, even when i lie.
      Reply #43: Dec 24, 2015 03:14:54 am
      For a team it would be perfect if a natural born leader comes from the youth sisstem and that is something that is slowly fading away from a world of football.

Liverpool is just crying for a leader,Henderson just cant be a leader,not after i saw how Balloteli stealed the ball and did not let anyone else take the penalty besides him while Hendo watched that from the background and did nothing.

Only leader that i see is Sakho,and i dont mean on the team leader,just someone that could command the area of the deffence.
      I wish that we could bring someone that understands the meaning of wearing the Liverpool shirt and that is something that does not just happenes and that has to be earned.
      MIRO
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 12,989 posts | 3124 
      • Trust The Universe
      Reply #44: Dec 24, 2015 09:38:40 am

Agree completely.

The players I mentioned in my previous post would step up.
      skolRED
      • Forum Legend - Fagan

• 3,176 posts | 265 
      Reply #45: Dec 24, 2015 12:38:32 pm
      The unfortunate thing is that back then we only had United, Chelsea and Arsenal to worry about. In the interim we've seen the rise of City and rejuvenation of Spurs plus other teams have become even more difficult to beat so even on a good year we have six teams to compete against rather than three as we did five years ago. Add to that five years of transfer disasters and an unbalanced squad and its no wonder we're in such disarray.

Not agree mate. It's not that the like of Spurs are significantly improve during the time it's just we LFC make the horrific regression that big them up. Well we known long ago what Man City building so yes now they're very strong but Man Utd also weaken since SAFuckerson leave. Look back at recent years (especially after 2008/2009) I'm just depressing we're not take opportunity to step up to the glory we belong as there's no team is the real dominant power in EPL, shamed !       

Quick Reply