Trending Topics

Next match: LFC v Brighton [Premier League] Sun 31st Mar @ 2:00 pm
      Anfield

Today is the 29th of March and on this date LFC's match record is P24 W11 D6 L7

LFC Reds Poll

Q. LFC Man of the Match?

Simon Mignolet
      2 (1.7%)
      Alberto Moreno
      0 (0%)
      Dejan Lovren
      53 (43.8%)
      Mamadou Sakho
      1 (0.8%)
      Nathaniel Clyne
      0 (0%)
      Emre Can
      1 (0.8%)
      Jordan Henderson
      44 (36.4%)
      Adam Lallana
      10 (8.3%)
      Philippe Coutinho
      3 (2.5%)
      Roberto Firmino
      1 (0.8%)
      Divock Origi
      2 (1.7%)
      Christian Benteke
      4 (3.3%)

Total Members Voted: 116

Voting closed: Dec 29, 2015 07:45:03 pm

Liverpool 1-0 Leicester City. In game and post match debate.

Read 24651 times
      Norfolk Red
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 1,154 posts | 499 
      Re: Liverpool 1-0 Leicester City. In game and post match debate.
      Reply #437: Dec 27, 2015 10:25:23 am
      [quote author=reddebs link=topic=48372.msg1865166#msg1865166 date=

What's wrong with you people?
      [/
      Too many ego's, and I know best !!! WTF, we won, we beat the team that are top of the league on merit, we kept a clean sheet. Why oh why can't people just enjoy it ?

]
      reddebs
      • "LFC Hipster"
      • Forum Legend - Paisley

• 17,980 posts | 2264 
      Reply #438: Dec 27, 2015 10:57:30 am

[quote author=reddebs link=topic=48372.msg1865166#msg1865166 date=

What's wrong with you people?
      [/
      Too many ego's, and I know best !!! WTF, we won, we beat the team that are top of the league on merit, we kept a clean sheet. Why oh why can't people just enjoy it ?

]

Maybe they all expected us to lose and had some great bickers already typed out, saved and ready to post then were pissed off they couldn't use them  :mad:

Anyway I'm as happy as a pig in sh*t, 'cos you know, WE WON!!!!
      redkop63
      • Forum Legend - Dalglish

• 6,890 posts | 455 
      Reply #439: Dec 27, 2015 11:17:49 am
      How about acknowledging the positives too then?

Thanks for the reminder. The positives have been highlighted in detail by many posters here and I'd go along with it while there's no necessity to regurgigate. Seriously, I'm asking what has become of this forum, the slightest negative remark about the team after a win will be taken as if  the few posters here are all out in arms to discredit the players and the club. How can we keep our mouth shut when we see issues on the pitch that we hope to see improvement, regardless of the results?  Are we not supporters with the same goal for the club, that's to see further improvement after each game, regardless of the outcome. That being the case, might as well put up a big enough notice at the beginning of the post match thread that says "No Criticism Of The Club or Players Is Allowed" then I will toe the line or have my opinions heard elsewhere. By then, this forum becomes meaningless, dominated by the "Yes Men". There must be a balance of negatives and positives to make the thread interesting as fans sees things differently.

Supporters here are from different backgrounds and have set different levels of expectations and non is bigger than the other and opinions differs from one to the other. Case in point, even after a 5-0 win, Rafa would still say there are areas of improvement, hence, can I say he's wrong and he's being negative? No, he has set his own standard, he could be a perfectionist while I'll just shut the gab.
      GERNS
      • Forum Legend - Paisley

• 12,208 posts | 1503 
      Reply #440: Dec 27, 2015 11:18:00 am
      Didn't see that coming!!! Everyone played a f**king blinder to win that game.

I'll get the negatives out of the way early - Lallana, Can and Benteke. Adam had no quality in delivering the ball, Can kept giving it away despite having ample opportunity to use it wisely and Benteke, yes he scored the winner, but his movement and decision making is baffling at times.

Positives - if i could vote for the manager as man of the match i would. Vardy and Mahrez had one kick between them for 60 minutes. Leicester created two chances and one of them was from a throw in. We had them covered all over the pitch and it came down to attitude and application. Jürgen had the team prepared brilliantly from top to bottom. Well played, gaffer!

Dejan Lovren got my MOTM vote. He has been nothing short of brilliant recently and everything that came our way he dealt with ease. His distribution was equally as good and he has become a leader at the back recently. Delighted for him and i think we have found our first choice back pairing now with he and Mama.

Hendo was outstanding, too. The shift he put in was huge and the quality of his distribution is so underrated. That cross to Benteke was sublime, only matched by that first time pinger of a pass to find Benteke earlier. Quality game from the skipper.

Felt sorry for Origi going off so early as he looked to have Morgan scrambling from very early on in the game. He's f**king quick and he actually makes movements in the final third, uses his strength and looks to be a nuisance.

And finally, Phil looked brilliant for about an hour before fading slightly. That first half was all him and he was unlucky to not have an assist or a goal to himself. Jürgen seems to want to keep him on the right hand side and give him a bit more space to work his magic and it looks like it could work. He terrorised Leicester in the final third.

Just chuffed we got the win out there. I thought we'd get beaten if i was being honest with myself given how the two sides were playing. Their attack vs our defence looked like a win to them but we are the first team to keep them scoreless this season and we did that emphatically.

Well done red men! On to Sunderland.
      Have to agree with everything there crouchie, I also went for Lovren motm. He now seems to have got over the nerves and has turned back into the player he was when we bought him.
      Will add, although we didn't go marauding down the wings too much, Clyne had the measure of Marez all day long. And Vardy wasn't able to get in behind with his pace due to the gaffers strategy. Reverted to 4 4 2 and everyone grafted to make it work.
      Seems it wasn't rigid 4 4 2, and everyone moved and drifted to cover where it was necessary, or to make space in attack. Best I've seen Origi perform as well. A goal from him would have been the iceing before his injury.
      I had us down for a 2:1 reverse so the win and how we achieved it was terrific. Still doesn't answer why so many players went missing in the previous three games though. Mind boggling !
      Anyway, on to Sunderland and a good  win there will set us back on the trail to 4th.
      billythered
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 10,821 posts | 4920 
      • From Doubters to Champions of the World
      Reply #441: Dec 27, 2015 11:33:59 am
      Yay we won, Yay mancs lost again, Yay we kept a clean sheet Yay Xmas is over for another year,  Yay!

Listened on lfctv and watched it on Match choice, thought we ran the show without to much trouble,  Klopp chose a 4-4-2 to match that of Leicester,  and it worked perfectly,  perhaps this is how we should play at home from now on,

Anyhoo,  after thst abysmal performance against Watford it was pleasing to see us play positively and taking the game to them,  mancs came to us last season played and beat us at our own game,  we did just that to Leicester,
      Like them or loathe them they are the in form team and are deserving of their league position,
      They had scored in every one of their previous 17 league matches with arguably the best two strikers in this league,

We kept a clean sheet, we dominated midfield,  we were solid at the back,  Lovren was immense,  Sakho was better than at Watford,  Clyne was much better,  even Moreno played well,
      In midfield we were superb,  especially Henderson, thought he had a blinder,  my motm,  Can very good and Coutinho getting closer to his best, felt for Origi thought he was proper up for it until he broke down,  hope he's not out for to long,
      Not sure what it is with Brazilian Bob, but he just doesn't seem interested,  maybe it's taking him longer to settle and probably a confidence issue,  but Klopp likes him in there,  and he can cause problems,
      Benteke,  what can you say,? 
      He did win us the game and his scoring stats are good,  but, he needs to get involved more., maybe now it will happen because he'll probably get a run of games,  he can be prolific but he will need help,

I can't leave out that miss, that was embarrassing,  he actually missed a open goal with the keeper behind him, can you get your head round that one?  I can't,  that's worse than missing from 2yards out, oh wait, he's good at that too,

I'll. Forgive him, I'm sure he's going to score more for us soon enough,  and finally Mignolet,  I'd have stuck with Bogdan if I'm honest,  last week's howler aside I think he's done ok Tbf,
      I don’t either are deserving of the keepers berth and hope we have a new one by next season,  but he did ok, still flaps coming for crosses and without having to much to do he was ok.

Well done lads good display decent performance 3points clean sheet, can't ask for much more,

Well in Jürgen,  tactics spot on.....

......"BOSS THA"

YNWA
      mcarz
      • Forum Legend - Paisley

• 17,179 posts | 1355 
      Reply #442: Dec 27, 2015 11:51:55 am
      Just a little of the write up in the Sunday Express about the match:

Claudio Ranieri's electrifying Foxes lost their spark but they'll be back. Anyone who thinks this is the start of their big winter slide will have to think again as they almost gave Liverpool the shock of their lives.

Jürgen Klopp's men lived on the edge as they finally halted the Foxes title charge, with misfit Christian Benteke coming off the bench early in place of the injured Divock Origi to grab the winner.

While all of the Kop talk has been about Klopp's pressing style, City have brought a new meaning to hunting in packs.

But they were undone by a piece of Brazilian magic. Roberto Firmino started it before Emre Can's pass picked out Benteke.

While it wasn't a defensive masterclass that prevented the Foxes from scoring for the first time this season, the Reds somehow scraped through by managing to keep both Jamie Vardy and Riyad Mahrez quiet.

Ranieri said: "I took Vardy, who had a fever, and Mahrez off because they were tired. Liverpool deserved to win."

The bits in bold stood out for me. You wouldn't have thought that Peter Oakes is a Liverpool fan [I think he's the one]. He makes it out like we got lucky and that we actually didn't control the game for a majority of the 90 minutes. I find it pretty funny that he thought Firmino was Can and credited him with the assist :D.

billythered
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 10,821 posts | 4920 
      • From Doubters to Champions of the World
      Reply #443: Dec 27, 2015 12:47:58 pm
      Maybe he got confused and watched Van Gaal's trail blazers  :f_whistle:

YNWA
      waltonl4
      • Forum Legend - Shankly

• 37,585 posts | 7139 
      Reply #444: Dec 27, 2015 12:57:36 pm
      or not enough
      waltonl4
      • Forum Legend - Shankly

• 37,585 posts | 7139 
      Reply #445: Dec 27, 2015 12:59:17 pm
      just thinking probably the two most decent managers in the league and pleased Ranieri finished Mourhino's career at Chelsea seems fitting.
      crouchinho
      • Forum Legend - Shankly

• 42,508 posts | 2620 
      • TU TA LOUCO? FILHO DA PUTA!
      Reply #446: Dec 27, 2015 01:13:34 pm
      just thinking probably the two most decent managers in the league and pleased Ranieri finished Mourhino's career at Chelsea seems fitting.

100%.

Ranieri is a gentleman and Klopp...well, he's an upfront lunatic isn't he? Polar opposite characters but two good men.

They had a big hug and laugh pre-game, too. Klopp invited Ranieri to Dortmund last season to their training session and talked with him about football.
      waltonl4
      • Forum Legend - Shankly

• 37,585 posts | 7139 
      Reply #447: Dec 27, 2015 01:18:48 pm
      100%.

Ranieri is a gentleman and Klopp...well, he's an upfront lunatic isn't he? Polar opposite characters but two good men.

They had a big hug and laugh pre-game, too. Klopp invited Ranieri to Dortmund last season to their training session and talked with him about football.

don't know about you but I am sick of all the bollox Managers talk a bit of honesty goes a long way and our "lunatic" is an honest one.
      crouchinho
      • Forum Legend - Shankly

• 42,508 posts | 2620 
      • TU TA LOUCO? FILHO DA PUTA!
      Reply #448: Dec 27, 2015 01:23:29 pm
      don't know about you but I am sick of all the bollox Managers talk a bit of honesty goes a long way and our "lunatic" is an honest one.

Sure beats hearing how fantastic the effort was and the immense character the players showed when we lose at a mid table club.
      redraider
      • Forum Billy Liddell

• 568 posts | 20 
      Reply #449: Dec 27, 2015 02:08:19 pm
      Great result.  Can't believe that Benteke sitter.  The goal he scored was actually probably harder to convert into a goal than the one he failed to score. If you look at the way the ball was played across to him it was by no means an easy pass to convert in one touch - many a time they go wide, and well wide at that.  Maybe Jürgen and the coaches just need to work with him to convert those 'sitter' situations.  Sometimes Christian looks a little slow on his feet, at other times he looks quick. 
      I can't work it out can anyone else?
      Muzzman1969
      • Forum Ian Callaghan

• 919 posts | 41 
      Reply #450: Dec 27, 2015 02:11:52 pm
      Shows the difference when we play to instructions.  You could see from the first minute that the plan was to not give them any space when they broke and it worked very well.  If we can get that side of the game sorted then we will start getting the results.

I have not seen them this year other than highlights and I cannot see how they are top of the league.  There is a chance that other teams will see how we played against them and that is the way to stop them.  It shows the importance that they put on their two main men and the lack of depth they have when they both play when not 100%.

I think like a lot of people I thought it would be a really tough game, but we were in control for most of the ninety.  In pretty much any game a team will have some spell of pressure but they never really did.  When was the last time the league leaders only had 35% possession, or is that normal for them.

Gave my motm to Lovren as I thought he was excellent having been out for a couple of games.  He looked a bit better on the right perhaps .  Clyne also was very good.

The 4-4-2 was interesting because as well as matching them across the middle it also meant that Mahrez Had to play much deeper and so was less effective apart from twice in the first half.  Did Vardy touch it more than a few times.

All in all I thought a good performance and it is the consistency that needs to creep in now for us to take advantage of a very strange season.
      ORCHARD RED

• 8,526 posts | 1457 
      • 6 Times!
      Reply #451: Dec 27, 2015 02:27:26 pm
      Great result.  Can't believe that Benteke sitter.  The goal he scored was actually probably harder to convert into a goal than the one he failed to score. If you look at the way the ball was played across to him it was by no means an easy pass to convert in one touch - many a time they go wide, and well wide at that.  Maybe Jürgen and the coaches just need to work with him to convert those 'sitter' situations.  Sometimes Christian looks a little slow on his feet, at other times he looks quick. 
      I can't work it out can anyone else?

I've looked at that miss a few times, the only reason I can think of for not hitting it earlier is maybe he didn't think he could accurately chip the last defender or score from that far out before the defender got back! Mind you even I would have put that chance away, so it's a strange one!
      TheleftpegofRayKennedy
      • Forum Legend - Benitez

• 1,028 posts | 332 
      Reply #452: Dec 27, 2015 03:04:26 pm
      I think he's sometimes a bit slow to make his mind up.  That looks like BEING slow.
      Seems to react best when he hasn't got time to think, like a good slip fielder in cricket.
      MarkMitt
      • Forum Legend - Fagan

• 2,800 posts | 337 
      • Give it your best every time!
      Reply #453: Dec 27, 2015 04:23:35 pm
      Great win. Onto two easy games now against relegation fodder Sunderland and midtable dross West Ham, thats another 6 points in the bag means we are on 33 points now just 5 behind leaders Leicester, very good.

Love the way you've added points before we've even earned them. Talk about no respect for other teams. I expect you did the same thing against Newcastle/West Brom/Watford.

Same attitude as some of our players I'm assuming. Just turn up and points are ours. Have you learned nothing from this season so far?

ozi_wozzy
      • Forum Legend - Fagan

• 2,552 posts | 304 
      Reply #454: Dec 27, 2015 05:52:58 pm
      100%.

Nice story that. Always liked Rainier too, he handled his mistreatment at Chelsea with a lot dignity. Klopp may be crazy but he is also a gentleman. Whether when he was at Dortmund and lighting up the CL or since he's come here, I've never heard him play games, disrespect fans, players or other managers or say anything offensive. He's what I call a "positive lunatic".

However, I do hope he bollocked Benteke for that miss. What it showed me was that when Benteke doesn't have time to overthink, like his instinctive strike, he is a very natural finisher. So, be a little dumb Benny  boy and just enjoy your football.
      fishpie
      • Forum Legend - Fagan

• 3,570 posts | 212 
      Reply #455: Dec 27, 2015 06:01:59 pm
      Shows the difference when we play to instructions.  You could see from the first minute that the plan was to not give them any space when they broke and it worked very well.  If we can get that side of the game sorted then we will start getting the results.

I have not seen them this year other than highlights and I cannot see how they are top of the league.  There is a chance that other teams will see how we played against them and that is the way to stop them.  It shows the importance that they put on their two main men and the lack of depth they have when they both play when not 100%.

I think like a lot of people I thought it would be a really tough game, but we were in control for most of the ninety.  In pretty much any game a team will have some spell of pressure but they never really did.  When was the last time the league leaders only had 35% possession, or is that normal for them.

Gave my motm to Lovren as I thought he was excellent having been out for a couple of games.  He looked a bit better on the right perhaps .  Clyne also was very good.

The 4-4-2 was interesting because as well as matching them across the middle it also meant that Mahrez Had to play much deeper and so was less effective apart from twice in the first half.  Did Vardy touch it more than a few times.

All in all I thought a good performance and it is the consistency that needs to creep in now for us to take advantage of a very strange season.

They have a team who are performing at a high level and players who are on fire consistently, don't dismiss that as an easy win. I know it's Leicester and strange but it's no fluke that they are up there. Great team to watch this season.
      bmck

• 9,404 posts | 1611 
      • YNWA
      Reply #456: Dec 27, 2015 06:30:58 pm
      Great 3 points!!!
      Didn't see the match, away doing xmas stuff, just saw the MOTM highlights and whatever about Benteke being good/bad/indifferent, he got the deciding goal on the day, so fair play.
      Didn't see that coming after being so poor against Watford, so well done to Klopp and the players for turning things around  :gt-happyup:
      They way all teams are dropping points, if we could go on even just a short winning run, we'd be into the top4 soon :)
      Borini and friends up next. Keep it going boys...
      Rush
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 9,455 posts | 1478 
      • "If you are second, you are nothing."
      Reply #457: Dec 27, 2015 07:30:57 pm
      Can't wait for January
      bartman49
      • Forum Legend - Benitez

• 2,157 posts | 37 
      Reply #458: Dec 28, 2015 02:35:26 am
      I know we bossed most of the game but in front of goal we were poor and once again balls went astray and were often put behind players Sakho again looked a nervous wreck and although the two best saves made were by Mignolet he did not let us down and true to form he flapped at a cross that could have been disaster but this game he got away with it, Benteke I can't get my head around this guy for villa he sometimes looked unplayable for us he just stands there waiting for passes to reach him often these passes get intercepted this gives opponents the time to counterattack so benteke has to be more aware of his surroundings another wind up is his running off side so much being the front man surely he can see he's gone past the last defender so please benteke use your head show why we paid all that money and stay on F***ing side(man he's so frustrating).Both he and Mignolet are the two players I shout at most with Lovren being the a close third lately he is slowly starting to turn it around but I think he still has the odd mistake in him.
      harrydunn08

• 5,915 posts | 957 
      Reply #459: Dec 28, 2015 03:53:35 am
      I know we bossed most of the game but in front of goal we were poor and once again balls went astray and were often put behind players Sakho again looked a nervous wreck and although the two best saves made were by Mignolet he did not let us down and true to form he flapped at a cross that could have been disaster but this game he got away with it, Benteke I can't get my head around this guy for villa he sometimes looked unplayable for us he just stands there waiting for passes to reach him often these passes get intercepted this gives opponents the time to counterattack so benteke has to be more aware of his surroundings another wind up is his running off side so much being the front man surely he can see he's gone past the last defender so please benteke use your head show why we paid all that money and stay on f**king side(man he's so frustrating).

Longest sentence ever ???

Quick Reply