Trending Topics

Next match: West Ham v LFC [Premier League] Sat 27th Apr @ 12:30 pm
      London Stadium

Today is the 26th of April and on this date LFC's match record is P24 W15 D7 L2

LFC Reds Poll

Q. LFC Man of the Match?

Simon Mignolet
      2 (1.7%)
      Alberto Moreno
      0 (0%)
      Dejan Lovren
      53 (43.8%)
      Mamadou Sakho
      1 (0.8%)
      Nathaniel Clyne
      0 (0%)
      Emre Can
      1 (0.8%)
      Jordan Henderson
      44 (36.4%)
      Adam Lallana
      10 (8.3%)
      Philippe Coutinho
      3 (2.5%)
      Roberto Firmino
      1 (0.8%)
      Divock Origi
      2 (1.7%)
      Christian Benteke
      4 (3.3%)

Total Members Voted: 116

Voting closed: Dec 29, 2015 07:45:03 pm

Liverpool 1-0 Leicester City. In game and post match debate.

Read 24841 times
      TheRedPanda
      • Forum Graeme Souness

• 362 posts | 82 
      Re: Liverpool 1-0 Leicester City. In game and post match debate.
      Reply #460: Dec 28, 2015 06:15:29 am
      lfc across the water
      • Needs a Klopp hug...Rafa's Number 1 fan...VAR has no faults Promoter
      • Forum Legend - Fagan

• 3,863 posts | 704 
      Reply #461: Dec 28, 2015 08:19:07 am
      Quote from HamannsTheMan
      Embarrassing seeing some people defend the benteke miss, even stating the game was already won and that it didn't matter.

Leicester had a half chance seconds later and sometimes half chances are converted.

How do you know that we won't miss out on fourth by goal difference this season either? You don't do you? So it did f**king matter actually.

As it turned out, we won the game, so it doesn't matter. For all their goal difference advantages, one other team above us have beaten Leicester this season. Just one.

We beat the league leaders at home 1-0 and won at home for the first time on this date in 6 years. All we had to do was win the game, by hook or by crook. That's what we did.

We know you don't like Benteke, and his general play in this game was very poor, but he gives us another option when free flowing gegenpressing doesn't work. There will be more times this year where we'll need him to bail us out again.
      Muzzman1969
      • Forum Ian Callaghan

• 919 posts | 41 
      Reply #462: Dec 28, 2015 08:57:23 am
      Not sure if it's been said, but just noticed when watching the highlights that during the celebration Lovren reaches across to Sakho, grabs him and seems to be saying they cannot let it slip. Maybe he might come good and have something about him after all.
      marska43
      • Forum Matt Busby

• 132 posts | 14 
      Reply #463: Dec 28, 2015 01:10:14 pm
      As much as I love Skrtel, this CB pairing may by the most effective. Results speak for itself (4 clean sheet out of 6 games I believe). Benteke is still frustrating for me: I'm unhappy with him 95% of the game, but scores the winner and shows promise 1 or 2 other moments. I hope Origi isn't out too long, and hope Studge grows a pair and can actually play through a bit of pain like 99% of all footballers around the world do.
      6stringer
      • Forum Legend - Benitez

• 2,051 posts | 517 
      Reply #464: Dec 28, 2015 08:08:45 pm
      all I can say is thank christ we won...
      I started the pre match thread and I wouldn't have been able to live with myself and the stick I "could've" got on here had we got beat.. ;D :-[

I actually thought I was gonna sh*t my pants when they went up the wing after Benteke's sitter at the end..

Thought Vardy was sh*te... Marhez was more of a danger...

3 points... av it !!
      Reslivo
      • Forum Legend - Paisley

• 14,490 posts | 521 
      Reply #465: Dec 28, 2015 08:18:48 pm

There will be more times this year where we'll need him to bail us out again.

Poor choice of words. Hardly "bailing us out" if he puts away a chance he's expected to put away, then absolutely shins the others he was given, is it?
      bmck
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 9,544 posts | 1667 
      • YNWA
      Reply #466: Dec 28, 2015 08:35:00 pm
      Benteke is still frustrating for me: I'm unhappy with him 95% of the game, but scores the winner and shows promise 1 or 2 other moments.

This is why we pay Klopp the big bucks :)

"We had a 'man conversation' and I think it is going to help me and help the team," said Benteke, whose side visit Sunderland on Wednesday.

"I have to run more and I have to be there for my team-mates."
      Thaddeus
      • Forum Legend - Benitez

• 2,063 posts | 171 
      Reply #467: Dec 28, 2015 08:47:48 pm
      Poor choice of words. Hardly "bailing us out" if he puts away a chance he's expected to put away, then absolutely shins the others he was given, is it?
      Agree re: choice of words, but the chance he put away wasn't particularly easy. One xG analysis* puts it as going in less than 10% of the time.

*Expected goals - some links for those who haven't heard of it (cliff notes version is that it is a way of quantifying the quality of a chance) and a word of warning that it is a very nascent form of statistical analysis and as such should only be used as a rough guide of how easy or hard a chance is.
      http://cartilagefreecaptain.sbnation.com/2015/4/10/8381071/football-statistics-expected-goals-michael-caley-deadspin
      http://www.pinnaclesports.com/en/betting-articles/soccer/how-to-calculate-goal-models

Edit: A visual aid for those who like that sort of thing

lfc across the water
      • Forum Legend - Fagan

• 3,863 posts | 704 
      Reply #468: Dec 28, 2015 09:01:25 pm
      Quote from Reslivo

The result was 1-0. Without the goal he scored, we would not have won. Hence the phrase used.
      Reslivo
      • Forum Legend - Paisley

• 14,490 posts | 521 
      Reply #469: Dec 28, 2015 09:05:36 pm
      The result was 1-0. Without the goal he scored, we would not have won. Hence the phrase used.

So then there are two scenarios:

1 - We draw with a team that's top of the league and has been destroying most teams over the past 4 months. Hardly a bad result, thus not a bail-out.

2 - He puts away the chance on the break at the end, purely because we're not already winning.

Neither of those are bad, so how you can say it's a bail out is far beyond any reasoning.
      what-a-hit-son
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 16,495 posts | 4839 
      • t: @MrPrice1979 i: @klmprice101518
      Reply #470: Dec 28, 2015 10:04:33 pm
      It really is this simple:

Benteke scored the winner. Kudos as we probably wouldn't have got the three points if he didn't.

Benteke should have scored his other chance. I reckon I could have and I'm fat and unfit. It could have cost us but it didn't. Something the same will do in the future.

Benteke needs to improve his work rate and his movement and finish chances like the one he missed or it could cost us in the future.

End of, in my opinion of course.

Last thing we want is a £32 million player failing and f**king off somewhere else when he has obviously got something - obviously quite a lot.

It's just whether his 'something' can fit. That's down to him, though. How much does he want it here? That type of thing.

Hope he kicks on and works hard.
      waltonl4
      • Forum Legend - Shankly

• 37,585 posts | 7139 
      Reply #471: Dec 28, 2015 10:10:36 pm

It's just whether his 'something' can fit. That's down to him, though. How much does he want it here? That type of thing.

Hope he kicks on and works hard.
      We so desperately need a talisman goalscoring beast and why not him like you say he has "something" maybe he hasn't realised it himself yet. Hope he isn't our new Emile another player who should have terrified the world but was happy being owen's wingman.

RedPuppy
      • Still European.
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 19,253 posts | 2855 
      • Parum Rutilus Canis: Illegitimi non carborundum
      Reply #472: Dec 28, 2015 10:27:26 pm
      I can not understand the bickering.

We scored.
      They did not.

Am I missing something?
      Dadorious
      • Forum Legend - Dalglish

• 9,882 posts | 1545 
      Reply #473: Dec 28, 2015 11:43:57 pm
      Said that we will beat these before the game started.

It is an indictment on how just low English football has dropped when we have a team like Leicester on top of the tree at Christmas. The football they play is just God awful based on parking the bus as deep as possible ten men behind the ball and deploying hoofball to pounce on any space afforded to them. They got lucky against the bitters and have now been superbly found out by Klopp whose blue print will no doubt be deployed by Pellegrini tomorrow and other teams to follow, they will be lucky to finish 7th come season end.

As for our game Klopp got it spot on with tactics selection and the rest of it. Could have had easily a couple of more games that Benteke miss at the end was just beyond comprehension and deserves a proper bullocking from Henderson and Klopp.
      TheleftpegofRayKennedy
      • Forum Legend - Benitez

• 1,046 posts | 339 
      Reply #474: Dec 29, 2015 05:08:52 pm
      Said that we will beat these before the game started.

It is an indictment on how just low English football has dropped when we have a team like Leicester on top of the tree at Christmas. The football they play is just God awful based on parking the bus as deep as possible ten men behind the ball and deploying hoofball to pounce on any space afforded to them. They got lucky against the bitters and have now been superbly found out by Klopp whose blue print will no doubt be deployed by Pellegrini tomorrow and other teams to follow, they will be lucky to finish 7th come season end.

As for our game Klopp got it spot on with tactics selection and the rest of it. Could have had easily a couple of more games that Benteke miss at the end was just beyond comprehension and deserves a proper bullocking from Henderson and Klopp.

Hmm, I think they deserve a lot more credit than this.  Solid, well organized team, admittedly, but also capable of excellent football and boasting some really skillful players.  They didn't show it against us, but they certainly have in other games.
      Hollywood Balls
      • Forum Legend - Fagan

• 3,802 posts | 469 
      • PhD, School of Hard Knocks, University of Life.
      Reply #475: Dec 30, 2015 02:34:51 pm

You mean like Rafa bailed us out in Istanbul?
      shabbadoo
      • Forum Legend - Shankly

• 29,438 posts | 4582 
      Reply #476: Dec 30, 2015 03:35:25 pm

32.5 HRS remaining :)
      lfc across the water
      • Forum Legend - Fagan

• 3,863 posts | 704 
      Reply #477: Dec 30, 2015 10:57:37 pm
      Quote from Reslivo
      So then there are two scenarios:

1 - We draw with a team that's top of the league and has been destroying most teams over the past 4 months. Hardly a bad result, thus not a bail-out.

2 - He puts away the chance on the break at the end, purely because we're not already winning.

Neither of those are bad, so how you can say it's a bail out is far beyond any reasoning.

Leicester have barely destroyed anyone this year, most of their wins have been by one goal, and they've already conceded half the goals we did two years ago.

Draws especially at home are really no use atm. The chance at the end doesn't matter now. We won, as we had to.
      -LFC-
      • Forum Legend - Fagan

• 4,211 posts | 1214 
      Reply #478: Dec 30, 2015 11:01:41 pm
      Didn't see the game, just delighted we won. At this stage results matter way more than performances. Good to see Benteke score as well, hopefully gives the lad some confidence going into what will be a very tough game at West Ham.
      7-King Kenny-7
      • Lives on Sesame Street
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 44,014 posts | 5760 
      • You'll Never Walk Alone!
      Reply #479: Dec 30, 2015 11:28:36 pm
      Leicester have barely destroyed anyone this year

Yet have nearly double the amount of goals we have managed to score and conceded just 3 more with a GD of 12, ours is 0...

Quick Reply