Trending Topics

Next match: LFC v Spurs [Premier League] Sun 5th May @ 4:30 pm
      Anfield

Today is the 29th of April and on this date LFC's match record is P29 W11 D6 L12

LFC Reds Poll

Q. LFC Man of the Match?

Simon Mignolet
      2 (1.7%)
      Alberto Moreno
      0 (0%)
      Dejan Lovren
      53 (43.8%)
      Mamadou Sakho
      1 (0.8%)
      Nathaniel Clyne
      0 (0%)
      Emre Can
      1 (0.8%)
      Jordan Henderson
      44 (36.4%)
      Adam Lallana
      10 (8.3%)
      Philippe Coutinho
      3 (2.5%)
      Roberto Firmino
      1 (0.8%)
      Divock Origi
      2 (1.7%)
      Christian Benteke
      4 (3.3%)

Total Members Voted: 116

Voting closed: Dec 29, 2015 07:45:03 pm

Liverpool 1-0 Leicester City. In game and post match debate.

Read 24910 times
      chats
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 31,386 posts | 2823 
      Re: Liverpool 1-0 Leicester City. In game and post match debate.
      Reply #391: Dec 26, 2015 08:48:08 pm
      Thought it was a very impressive response to Watford. Not perfect by any means but we did just beat the league leaders and kept a clean sheet against a side that have scored in every single league game so far. It was probably our best home performance since we beat City last season. That might not be saying much but at least it's progress.

Struggling to choose between Clyne, Lovren and Hendo for MOTM. All three were fantastic.
      LFC Karl
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 4,930 posts | 158 
      • YNWA
      Reply #392: Dec 26, 2015 09:02:53 pm
      great result. Decent performance.
      MIRO
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 12,989 posts | 3124 
      • Trust The Universe
      Reply #393: Dec 26, 2015 09:34:11 pm
      great result. Decent performance.

It was.
      waltonl4
      • Forum Legend - Shankly

• 37,586 posts | 7140 
      Reply #394: Dec 26, 2015 09:37:25 pm
      first team to stop Leicester scoring who where on a 9 game unbeaten run and we had a clean sheet maybe not vintage but a good result whatever way you look at it
      barrymanulow
      • Forum Legend - Benitez

• 1,014 posts | -14 
      Reply #395: Dec 26, 2015 09:52:13 pm
      From the start I thought it was apparent that the boys came to play today. What Klopp said about the mentality of the players seems to be ringing true. The performances against teams when we are not so fancied are much better, eg  Man City, Southampton and Chelsea. The performances when we have been favoured to win have been poor. eg Newcastle Watford Westbrom. 

Admittedly, the chances we missed today made the performance less than perfect, but the general play was very good. I am pretty sure Klopp has the problem figured out, and just needs to find the solution to make the players  mentally prepared to face the lesser teams.
      bigmick
      • Forum Legend - Paisley

• 10,078 posts | 2767 
      Reply #396: Dec 26, 2015 10:17:11 pm
      first team to stop Leicester scoring who where on a 9 game unbeaten run and we had a clean sheet maybe not vintage but a good result whatever way you look at it

Can't argue with that at all. Since Arsenal just got beat when you look at the table it makes me think of what if? if we'd just got five or six points out of them three matches rather than one we'd be right in there. Can't change it now, but this bunch of players annoy the f*ck out of me that they can play really well and beat good teams one week, then play absolutely f****** sh!te the week after. They've been doing it for a long time n'all, it's not Jurgens fault.
      bigmick
      • Forum Legend - Paisley

• 10,078 posts | 2767 
      Reply #397: Dec 26, 2015 10:21:03 pm
      From the start I thought it was apparent that the boys came to play today. What Klopp said about the mentality of the players seems to be ringing true. The performances against teams when we are not so fancied are much better, eg  Man City, Southampton and Chelsea. The performances when we have been favoured to win have been poor. eg Newcastle Watford Westbrom. 

Admittedly, the chances we missed today made the performance less than perfect, but the general play was very good. I am pretty sure Klopp has the problem figured out, and just needs to find the solution to make the players  mentally prepared to face the lesser teams.

You are right, but WTF is that? Who else has a job where you can barely turn up one week, then turn it on when you feel like it? We talk a lot in hospitality about "minimum standard", which without getting into the whys and the wherefores essentially means that at least you say the pleases, thankyous, see you later lads etc etc even if you're not having your best day. In short, you still put a bloody shift in. For a footballer, surely expecting them to "come to play" ought to be a f****** given?

Maybe I'm old fashioned (alright there's no maybe) but FFS it does my head in.
      Lio Varadkar
      • Forum Emlyn Hughes

• 785 posts | 66 
      Reply #398: Dec 26, 2015 10:34:51 pm
      Great win. Onto two easy games now against relegation fodder Sunderland and midtable dross West Ham, thats another 6 points in the bag means we are on 33 points now just 5 behind leaders Leicester, very good.
      dunlop liddell shankly
      • 2009 LFC quiz champion (now to be known as "Kate")
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 21,013 posts | 3352 
      Reply #399: Dec 26, 2015 10:37:28 pm
      Well a Boxing Day victory more than made up for the fact I had to spend the day in work up until two the savvy followed that by having to spend the afternoon in the company of my least favourite people, the family.

They've fu**ed off, Liverpool won. I'm happy.
      MsGerrard
      Reply #400: Dec 26, 2015 10:42:18 pm
      Back from the match...going to bed cos I'm knackered but I'm one very happy girl  :D
      waltonl4
      • Forum Legend - Shankly

• 37,586 posts | 7140 
      Reply #401: Dec 26, 2015 11:17:06 pm

seen the Benteke miss about 6 times and it gets worse with every viewing. This league is open for someone to take hold of it
      redkop63
      • Forum Legend - Dalglish

• 6,890 posts | 455 
      Reply #402: Dec 26, 2015 11:34:36 pm
      Ain't gonna complain about the win, we are average at best at the moment, whichever way we look at it. In this game, there were plenty of gaps in the Leicester defence and a better team would have scored more than a goal. It's either the average quality of players that we have in the squad or that the confidence is not there to move into the opposition box.
      Frankly, Mr Shankly
      Reply #403: Dec 26, 2015 11:39:45 pm
      Ain't gonna complain about the win, we are average at best at the moment, whichever way we look at it. In this game, there were plenty of gaps in the Leicester defence and a better team would have scored more than a goal. It's either the average quality of players that we have in the squad or that the confidence is not there to move into the opposition box.

Oh my god, cheer up would you? We kept a clean sheet and played well for Christ's sake.
      mcarz
      • Forum Legend - Paisley

• 17,179 posts | 1355 
      Reply #404: Dec 26, 2015 11:53:23 pm
      Oh my god, cheer up would you? We kept a clean sheet and played well for Christ's sake.

The only team to keep a clean sheet against Leicester all season too. We also kept two of the most prolific players this season quiet and limited them to scraps. I don't see why there are as many negative comments as there are in terms of the whole picture and result of the match.
      HScRed1
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 20,191 posts | 4405 
      Reply #405: Dec 26, 2015 11:55:48 pm
      Good win and great to see the lads reacting to the likely shellacking they got from Klopp post Watford.

Another day and we would have scored another couple but not to be.
      Thaddeus
      • Forum Legend - Benitez

• 2,063 posts | 171 
      Reply #406: Dec 26, 2015 11:58:34 pm
      We played very well, but it is the defensive strength we showed which is the key positive to focus on. Not only did we keep a clean sheet, but we restricted them to just a few half chances.
      7-King Kenny-7
      • Lives on Sesame Street
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 44,014 posts | 5760 
      • You'll Never Walk Alone!
      Reply #407: Dec 27, 2015 12:06:16 am
      It shows just how disappointing our season has been when a shower of sh*t like Leicester are top, they looked nothing more than a team they were a year ago in today's game and Arsenal getting thumped by Saints. If we weren't put into such a mess over the last 18months and had actually built on the season we came 2nd, then we would have been in with a great shot this season.
      redkop63
      • Forum Legend - Dalglish

• 6,890 posts | 455 
      Reply #408: Dec 27, 2015 12:22:54 am

Cheering up is one thing but acknowledging the weaknesses is another. No pont basking ourselves in glory but deflated like a balloon in the next game. We have been consistently inconsistent so far.
      MarkMitt
      • Forum Legend - Fagan

• 2,800 posts | 337 
      • Give it your best every time!
      Reply #409: Dec 27, 2015 12:51:40 am
      Would take 1 nil win every game of the season...
      mcarz
      • Forum Legend - Paisley

• 17,179 posts | 1355 
      Reply #410: Dec 27, 2015 01:17:30 am
      Cheering up is one thing but acknowledging the weaknesses is another. No pont basking ourselves in glory but deflated like a balloon in the next game. We have been consistently inconsistent so far.

How about acknowledging the positives too then?
      s@int
      • Forum Legend - Paisley

• 14,987 posts | 2282 
      Reply #411: Dec 27, 2015 01:19:35 am
      If we weren't put into such a mess over the last 18months and had actually built on the season we came 2nd, then we would have been in with a great shot this season.

Would and should have been mate. Probably the weakest or maybe just most open league for years and if we had built on what we had, we would be top now and not really worrying too much about the teams below us in truth.

Instead of which we are looking up the table at the likes of Crystal Palace, Watford and Leicester. Enough to break your heart if you think about it too much.

7-King Kenny-7
      • Lives on Sesame Street
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 44,014 posts | 5760 
      • You'll Never Walk Alone!
      Reply #412: Dec 27, 2015 01:22:10 am
      Instead of which we are looking up the table at the likes of Crystal Palace, Watford and Leicester. Enough to break your heart if you think about it too much

Especially when they have just as much chance of winning the league as the other teams around them. But the way this season is going, dare we write ourselves off or will the winter window be when City strengthen and take control? Mental season but at the same time, at least it's better than last seasons waste of time when Chelsea were top for all but 1 week and the top 4 obvious. By all accounts Leicester should have wiped the floor with us like Watford did but yet they looked as average as we have been.
      sebby
      • Forum Alan Hansen

• 629 posts | 60 
      Reply #413: Dec 27, 2015 01:31:30 am
      Very good win,against a good side,we also played some very good football,i know we go on about if's,but a fit Sturridge would have had a field day today,so would have Suarez,ok Benteke got his goal,but how the F**k can you not score when their goalkeeper is behind you,just unbelievable,as was his miss when he scooped it over the bar from 2 yards out,against Newcastle,we got away with it today,but until we get a proven goalscorer,the frustration will continue,because we should have won a lot more comfortably than we did today.

Quick Reply