Trending Topics

Next match: West Ham v LFC [Premier League] Sat 27th Apr @ 12:30 pm
      London Stadium

Today is the 25th of April and on this date LFC's match record is P25 W9 D9 L7

LFC Reds Poll

Q. Your LFC MotM?

Mignolet
      (0%)
      Clyne
      (4.7%)
      Lovren
      (45.8%)
      Sakho
      (12.1%)
      Moreno
      (2.8%)
      Henderson
      (3.7%)
      Can
      (14%)
      Lallana
      (0.9%)
      Firmino
      (3.7%)
      Coutinho
      (0%)
      Benteke
      (10.3%)
      Lucas
      (0.9%)
      Ibe
      (0%)
      Touré
      (0.9%)

Sunderland 0:1 Liverpool. In game and post match debate.

Read 27779 times
      6stringer
      • Forum Legend - Benitez

• 2,051 posts | 517 
      Re: Sunderland 0:1 Liverpool. In game and post match debate.
      Reply #644: Dec 31, 2015 09:41:57 am
      Ref gave us f**k all and I mean f**k all !!
      Every time that Defoe went down he got a free kick and the tackle that got Can a yellow was perfect..
      He should've given a straight red to the lad who nearly ended Sakho's season...
      and nothing to the two players who together took Can out.

Fat Sam played his usual game of midfield pinball and hit it long.. So Boring Sam...
      Jürgen looked well pissed off most of the game...yet good to see the big smile return at the final whistle.

If Lallana and Firmino are gonna help defend corners and the like they need to get shut of the ball if they get it and stop flicking it square and trying fancy Johan Cruyff moves on the edge of our own box.. Jesus H Christ !!

Coutinho should've had a hat trick.

Sunderland we're bad.. very bad..

No comment on Benteke's one on one miss.. lost for words..

Thought Lovren and Sakho we're great..

scrappy win but a win none the less..
      waltonl4
      • Forum Legend - Shankly

• 37,585 posts | 7139 
      Reply #645: Dec 31, 2015 10:51:20 am
      don't know when we play them at Anfield but it would be great if  we could relegate them as I really despise Fat Sam an odious little man.
      skolRED
      • Forum Legend - Fagan

• 3,148 posts | 258 
      Reply #646: Dec 31, 2015 10:55:39 am
      A good ugly win away from home, can't beat it. It's what a top team has to do in this league, in fact to win the title you will have to play like this in a least 24 out of the 38 games. Get used to it. 3 points will do for me and at last the pressure is on United and they have to come to Anfield, so nothing to complain about. Oooh just one other thing, make Sakho captain, he has that look in his eyes, that determination and is very vocal, let Hendo concentrate on his football.

If I'm JK I will not give captain armband to Sakho until he eliminate the needless risky tricks he like to do front of his penalty area. Sakho's  unaware of dangerous in front of his goal and his decision to do questionable things (play tricks against opposition player or pass a ball across his own goal like the Gerrard slip etc) are down side of his game. Imagine our captain keep doing such silly things and cost the team the points surely that is not what people want to see.

stuey
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 36,004 posts | 3952 
      Reply #647: Dec 31, 2015 10:58:29 am
      Are we not allowed to pick faults with our performance every time we win then?

Why are we on this forum then?

Tonight we won. A vital 3 points. The performance wasn't pretty though and we need to step up a few gears if we are to beat West Ham.

We did gain a vital three points and there was a case for some optimism; your comment however consisted of criticism for the major part and an almost disappointed acknowledgement in the closing sentence that we had in fact won.
      We are on the up man give us a break.
      what-a-hit-son
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 16,495 posts | 4839 
      • t: @MrPrice1979 i: @klmprice101518
      Reply #648: Dec 31, 2015 11:00:56 am
      A big positive is that we worked hard and earned the win, the attacking quality on display was utter crap and we have to get rid of Benteke, not a natural striker and will never be good enough. Can we also please get rid of Lallana, what the actual f**k does he bring to the team?

Soft skin?
      stuey
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 36,004 posts | 3952 
      Reply #649: Dec 31, 2015 11:03:36 am

The idiocy of the comment you replied to deserves that response mate.
      HamannsTheMan
      • Forum Legend - Fagan

• 3,031 posts | 1978 
      Reply #650: Dec 31, 2015 11:27:23 am
      We did gain a vital three points and there was a case for some optimism; your comment however consisted of criticism for the major part and an almost disappointed acknowledgement in the closing sentence that we had in fact won.
      We are on the up man give us a break.

The back four were again fairly solid which was a big positive to take from last night but our attacking was dire and Lallana, coutinho, firmino, benteke all had stinkers.

Personally i expect much better from a Liverpool side.

One thing is for certain - if we play like we did last night against West Ham then we will lose.

We might have moved up the league and gained on our rivals but come on mate last night wasn't convincing. We need to be better than that.
      luckofirish8
      • Forum Ron Yeats

• 454 posts | 20 
      Reply #651: Dec 31, 2015 11:48:35 am
      Went for Lovren as my MOTM, but was tempted to give it to Firmino.  Firmino was not perfect on the night, but he very easily could of have two goals and two assists.  Thought he was our best attacking option in this game.  Lovren put in another very solid game...hopefully he has turned a corner.
      Magillionare
      • Official LFC Reds Sig Maker. Lives on Sesame Street.
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 14,918 posts | 2381 
      • Hold on a minute, John Wayne hasn't arrived yet.
      Reply #652: Dec 31, 2015 11:55:08 am
      You either lack basic comprehension skills or english isn't your first language.

I'm hoping its the latter.

Never correct anyone else if you're not willing to use correct grammar yourself.
      stuey
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 36,004 posts | 3952 
      Reply #653: Dec 31, 2015 12:01:17 pm
      The back four were again fairly solid which was a big positive to take from last night but our attacking was dire and Lallana, coutinho, firmino, benteke all had stinkers.

One thing is for certain - if we play like we did last night against West Ham then we will lose.

We might have moved up the league and gained on our rivals but come on mate last night wasn't convincing. We need to be better than that.

If it were not for some inspired goalkeeping and hitting the woodwork the score could have been more respectable, in the longer term as stated the three points is all that matters.
      There is room for improvement and the man who can affect that situation is no doubt more aware than most of the fact.
      As stated the more pessimistic are giving Benteke stick amongst others in spite of the fact he has scored the winning goal on three occasions recently.
      marska43
      • Forum Matt Busby

• 132 posts | 14 
      Reply #654: Dec 31, 2015 12:28:24 pm
      Will always take a win away from home in this league. Was it easy on the eye: No. But 3 points is what matters most in the end, and we have them. If the ugliness continues into a trend both home and away, then I will feel the need for concern. It's a typical Liverpool display with our big striker in the side: slow offensive approach, with chances arising but failing to capitalize. If you think of the better chances, we could/should have had 3-4 goals on the night, and our defense was solid as I never felt under too much threat. Our creative three do need to get their act going, and maybe with Studge and/or Origi returning to health, that will help. If we have one regret this season, it's that Danny Ings was injured: how he would be thriving right now in this squad. Onwards and upwards is our march to the top 4.
      zamochit
      • Forum Youth Player

• 7 posts |
      Reply #655: Dec 31, 2015 12:36:56 pm
      We didn't play good last night, but another good result is all that matters. First time this season I felt an opposition could not score against us. They were terrible.
      waltonl4
      • Forum Legend - Shankly

• 37,585 posts | 7139 
      Reply #656: Dec 31, 2015 12:50:37 pm

its hard to see whats going on with so many talented players on the pitch we looked a bit mystified at times when we got into the opponents half. No wonder Klopp is starting to get pissed of with players I have seen him freak when we have a throw in and players are literally standing with their hands on their hips.
      beardo number 7
      • Forum Kevin Keegan

• 343 posts | 96 
      Reply #657: Dec 31, 2015 01:41:40 pm
      sh*te game against another utterly sh*te fat b***ard allardyce side. 3 points is 3 points though so we should be content with that with all our crocks at the moment? Yes Benteke wasnt exactly a world beater last night but he scored the goal that got us level with that shower of scummy slime up the east lancs and at the mo he is all we got so get behind the lad.

Happy new year!
      TheleftpegofRayKennedy
      • Forum Legend - Benitez

• 1,046 posts | 339 
      Reply #658: Dec 31, 2015 01:42:33 pm
      We're an unbalanced attack with Lallana, Firmino and Coutinho all playing as No.10's.  All the stick these three are getting at the moment (basically for looking soft/not scoring/appearing frustrated/having limited influence on the game) seems a bit harsh because they all basically want to do the same job.  Klopp, as stated in Liverpool Echo's review of the game, seems to leave the three of them to work out how best to operate together on the pitch.  So what we see is Coutinho acting as a limited left winger who only really cuts inside or plays the overlap with Moreno, Firmino trying to do a similar thing in the inside right area while occasionally buzzing around as a foil for Benteke (though not often enough), and Lallana doing the link up work between defence and attack, pressing/ball-winning in the middle third of the pitch, and occasionally getting into the right flank areas with Clyne's support. 

In short, Lallana isn't playing his own game (as he was at Southampton) as a 2nd striker/No.10, but is playing a slightly deeper role in which his stamina, game-reading and two-footedness are assets.  Whether the three have worked out this arrangement for themselves, or whether Klopp has redesigned their roles that way, I don't know. 

For me, they're three players who all want to be in the same role, and haven't worked out how to play effectively as a group, except in games like Man City, in which they had time and space on the ball, to pick runs and passes.  I'd drop either Firmino or Coutinho to the bench as an option, and keep Lallana in, because his work in midfield is more consistent and vital.

I'm not expecting goals from Lallana because he's not playing a role that offers him many goalscoring chances.  Coutinho and Firmino, on the other hand, I think should be scoring more, and will only do so when they make runs beyond Benteke.
      waltonl4
      • Forum Legend - Shankly

• 37,585 posts | 7139 
      Reply #659: Dec 31, 2015 01:52:26 pm
      Lallana has scored 1 in 8 for us and 1 in 5 for Southampton so he should be getting into double figures every season same with Couthino and with Firmino. We are just a soft touch we need a hard b***ard in the team and we need him quick .
      Last night we should of hammered Sunderland and when Sakho was fouled not one of our players made any gesture to either the REf or the Player involved we are too nice
      TheleftpegofRayKennedy
      • Forum Legend - Benitez

• 1,046 posts | 339 
      Reply #660: Dec 31, 2015 01:56:26 pm
      Lallana has scored 1 in 8 for us and 1 in 5 for Southampton so he should be getting into double figures every season same with Couthino and with Firmino. We are just a soft touch we need a hard b***ard in the team and we need him quick .
      Last night we should of hammered Sunderland and when Sakho was fouled not one of our players made any gesture to either the REf or the Player involved we are too nice

Yeah, but he played a different role for Southampton.  The rest of your post I agree with - we do need a tough, noisy leader (who can play like Stevie G!).
      mcarz
      • Forum Legend - Paisley

• 17,179 posts | 1355 
      Reply #661: Dec 31, 2015 01:58:41 pm
      don't know when we play them at Anfield but it would be great if  we could relegate them as I really despise Fat Sam an odious little man.

6th Feb mate. You never know, that could be relegation time for them :D
      TheleftpegofRayKennedy
      • Forum Legend - Benitez

• 1,046 posts | 339 
      Reply #662: Dec 31, 2015 02:06:08 pm
      Agreed.  Anyone manager who defends that assault on Sakho last night belongs in the basement level of football.  He certainly does.
      waltonl4
      • Forum Legend - Shankly

• 37,585 posts | 7139 
      Reply #663: Dec 31, 2015 02:10:44 pm
      6th Feb mate. You never know, that could be relegation time for them :D

might be a bit early but we can hope
      paulow63
      • Forum Emlyn Hughes

• 665 posts | 86 
      Reply #664: Dec 31, 2015 03:57:04 pm
      Don't think we should be using the red team at the other end of East Lancs Road as a benchmark. 30 points for us at this stage of the season is a very disappointing return.

Nevertheless 6 points over the festive period is only equalled by Stoke so let's see what happens against West Ham.

Benteke reminds me of Andy Cole, when he has time to think he misses, he's much more of an instinctive finisher.

Happy New Year everyone.
      GERNS
      • Forum Legend - Paisley

• 12,320 posts | 1524 
      Reply #665: Dec 31, 2015 04:39:19 pm
      It's a results game.
      We won, ok, but that isn't what I would refer to an ugly win. I think it was a pretty poor performance for the midfield and strikers. Defence played well which is what won it for us really. Could easily have been a draw, due mainly to the lack of cohesion between the midfield and forwards, and also the poor passing from the midfield.
      An ugly win in my book is a hard physical battle between two evenly contested teams with one showing a touch of class to overcome the other by the odd goal.
      Not a far superior set of individuals underperforming against a side with little talent and even less belief.
      Our lads need to step up and get things sorted out, and play to their full potential each and every game.   More physical effort from the more talented individuals would be a good start.
      We could miss the bus to a top four finish, not because of the lack of talent in the side, but the lack of effort.
      That to me is indefensible.
      Let's hope the West Ham game is the start of a new year in more ways than the obvious !
      Binomial
      • Forum Ian Callaghan

• 885 posts | 37 
      • Doing things over and expecting different results
      Reply #666: Dec 31, 2015 06:30:50 pm
      lallana did nothing as per.

defence in particular lovren was very good.

benteke is NOT good enough for us.

klopp is a masterpiece.

happy NY

Quick Reply