Trending Topics

Next match: West Ham v LFC [Premier League] Sat 27th Apr @ 12:30 pm
      London Stadium

Today is the 25th of April and on this date LFC's match record is P25 W9 D9 L7

West Ham 2-0 Liverpool: In game and post match debate

Read 49400 times
      waltonl4
      • Forum Legend - Shankly

• 37,585 posts | 7139 
      Re: West Ham 2-0 Liverpool: In game and post match debate
      Reply #897: Jan 03, 2016 11:30:04 am
      Engaged a manager that has not won a major honour with a busload of so called young  potemtial players plus a horse box of over priced stars, we are seeing the effects of it now. The owner simply asked for this to happen, trying to be too cute doing things in a bizarre manner.

they (the owners) thought they could change how football was managed and they did it at Anfield the result a squad of half hearted talentless overpaid young men who do not have enough about them to be at this club.They like the trappings of being at Anfield and the CV will look good when they retire but they lack HUNGER and have little desire.
      The Real Donavan Ried
      • Forum Legend - Dalglish

• 5,120 posts | 949 
      Reply #898: Jan 03, 2016 11:34:53 am

In all fairness to welshred I think that I can see were he is going with this.... I believe that we need to see If we can bring back Mario in the Jan' window, because at this moment in time we only have Benteke and at least Balotelli tries to get into the box on the end of passes and not just for headers.... Don't get me wrong, I am not for keeping Mario, but bring him back until the summer
      waltonl4
      • Forum Legend - Shankly

• 37,585 posts | 7139 
      Reply #899: Jan 03, 2016 11:37:52 am
      In all fairness to welshred I think that I can see were he is going with this.... I believe that we need to see If we can bring back Mario in the Jan' window, because at this moment in time we only have Benteke and at least Balotelli tries to get into the box on the end of passes and not just for headers.... Don't get me wrong, I am not for keeping Mario, but bring him back until the summer

wrong thread.
      The Real Donavan Ried

• 5,120 posts | 949 
      Reply #900: Jan 03, 2016 12:15:20 pm
      Others here mention Balotteli/Benteke including you,but when I do It's the Wrong Tread Cheer mate xxxxx:action-smiley-065:
      HamannsTheMan
      • Forum Legend - Fagan

• 3,031 posts | 1978 
      Reply #901: Jan 03, 2016 01:15:33 pm
      There has been some awful shouts on this forum but bringing Mario back is up there with the very worst.

I agree he can't do any worse than benteke but that doesn't mean he will solve our problems whether that's short term or long term. He is a myth. Always had this superstar status surrounding him but he is average at best.

I remember the dreadful performances we put in last season when he was leading the line and they were on par with how we're performing at the moment.

We don't need a big powerful lad upfront. We need somebody nippy who will stretch the opposition and create space for our best player - coutinho. We are too boxed in and there isn't enough room on the pitch and that's because benteke doesn't move. The lad is a statue. I guarantee if Ings was in this team you would see the others come to life.

Benteke doesn't close down or press so the three behind him don't. They would get passed around and made fools of if they did. Defending starts from the front. If Ings was playing he wouldn't be giving defenders a minutes peace and would be forever closing them down. That means the three behind can too - you press in numbers. If Ings closes down then whoevers in behind can make a decent gamble and leave their position to join in too. The whole team moves further upfield because of it. The opposition would make so many mistakes (unless they are barca and experts at keep ball) and you'd be surprised how much we would win possession back. It's basic stuff but we need somebody prepared to work hard upfront. Not somebody who waits around for a chance to fall to their feet and both benteke and mario are that sort of player. We don't have anybody who can play a proper cross into them, we have keep it on the floor and keep the ball moving quickly type players. We don't know how to park the bus either we are suited to pressing and it'll never work with benteke or mario upfront.

Firmino should lead the line with coutinho Lallana and Milner in behind. Occasionally bring in Ibe.

rossyred

• 9,281 posts | 1663 
      Reply #902: Jan 03, 2016 01:19:13 pm
      There has been some awful shouts on this forum but bringing Mario back is up there with the very worst.

I agree he can't do any worse than benteke but that doesn't mean he will solve our problems whether that's short term or long term. He is a myth. Always had this superstar status surrounding him but he is average at best.

I remember the dreadful performances we put in last season when he was leading the line and they were on par with how we're performing at the moment.

We don't need a big powerful lad upfront. We need somebody nippy who will stretch the opposition and create space for our best player - coutinho. We are too boxed in and there isn't enough room on the pitch and that's because benteke doesn't move. The lad is a statue. I guarantee if Ings was in this team you would see the others come to life.

Benteke doesn't close down or press so the three behind him don't. They would get passed around and made fools of if they did. Defending starts from the front. If Ings was playing he wouldn't be giving defenders a minutes peace and would be forever closing them down. That means the three behind can too - you press in numbers. If Ings closes down then whoevers in behind can make a decent gamble and leave their position to join in too. The whole team moves further upfield because of it. The opposition would make so many mistakes (unless they are barca and experts at keep ball) and you'd be surprised how much we would win possession back. It's basic stuff but we need somebody prepared to work hard upfront. Not somebody who waits around for a chance to fall to their feet and both benteke and mario are that sort of player. We don't have anybody who can play a proper cross into them, we have keep it on the floor and keep the ball moving quickly type players. We don't know how to park the bus either we are suited to pressing and it'll never work with benteke or mario upfront.

Firmino should lead the line with coutinho Lallana and Milner in behind. Occasionally bring in Ibe.

Firminho really ? Have you walking around with your eyes shut for 2 months
      redraider
      • Forum Billy Liddell

• 568 posts | 20 
      Reply #903: Jan 03, 2016 01:23:28 pm
      Just read an article featuring some of Jurgens comments after yesterdays game.  He's made it quite clear to CB that he needs a striket to play for the full 90 mins not score a goal in 1 minute and not be involved in the game for the other 89. Firm but fair.
      Hope CB gets the message or he'll be out the door next summer. I know this is only one player and the problems extend beyond CB.
      MarkMitt
      • Forum Legend - Fagan

• 2,800 posts | 337 
      • Give it your best every time!
      Reply #904: Jan 03, 2016 01:31:03 pm

As was always stated, Mario is not a lone striker. Never has been and never will be. When he played alongside Studge, nearly everyone could see the potential...

welshred
      • Forum David Johnson

• 218 posts | 128 
      Reply #905: Jan 03, 2016 01:39:54 pm
      Kenny had the saying in who was signed in all fairness Rodgers did not

Personally, I don't feel this makes a difference. The managers are not idiots and know the terms they have agreed. If Rodgers, a manager with a philosophy he believed in, agreed to work in a situation whereby he didn't have a say in the players brought in, then the man is a bigger idiot than I originally thought. If he felt that he agreed to have a say and was later undermined by the transfer committee then he should have resigned, stated why and walked out with his credibility still intact. Other managers have walked away from clubs and situations whereby they feel they aren't getting the freedom they need. I'm pretty sure Tony Pulis did it not that long ago actually. If Rodgers allowed himself to be undermined then its his fault as he allowed it to happen. If that is the case he should grow a spine and act line a man rather than allow himself and his beliefs on football philosophy to be trampled all over by businessmen in suits who think they know better.
      MarkMitt
      • Forum Legend - Fagan

• 2,800 posts | 337 
      Reply #906: Jan 03, 2016 01:45:05 pm
      Personally, I don't feel this makes a difference. The managers are not idiots and know the terms they have agreed. If Rodgers, a manager with a philosophy he believed in, agreed to work in a situation whereby he didn't have a say in the players brought in, then the man is a bigger idiot than I originally thought. If he felt that he agreed to have a say and was later undermined by the transfer committee then he should have resigned, stated why and walked out with his credibility still intact. Other managers have walked away from clubs and situations whereby they feel they aren't getting the freedom they need. I'm pretty sure Tony Pulis did it not that long ago actually. If Rodgers allowed himself to be undermined then its his fault as he allowed it to happen. If that is the case he should grow a spine and act line a man rather than allow himself and his beliefs on football philosophy to be trampled all over by businessmen in suits who think they know better.

Exactly. Why have principles if not prepared to follow them through?

Tadders

• 6,766 posts | 570 
      Reply #907: Jan 03, 2016 02:56:52 pm
      Just put myself through that again, how depressing that West Ham are lauded for what they did yesterday. If we had a midfielder - any midfielder that was able to head a ball we would have got a point. This was not as bad as Watford or West Ham at home, this was merely a normal Liverpool defeat. We are very very poor but so is the rest of the league, it won't take a lot to win the premiership in the next couple of seasons and if Jürgen has the stomach we will win it.
      MarkMitt
      • Forum Legend - Fagan

• 2,800 posts | 337 
      Reply #908: Jan 03, 2016 03:04:27 pm
      Just put myself through that again, how depressing that West Ham are lauded for what they did yesterday. If we had a midfielder - any midfielder that was able to head a ball we would have got a point. This was not as bad as Watford or West Ham at home, this was merely a normal Liverpool defeat. We are very very poor but so is the rest of the league, it won't take a lot to win the premiership in the next couple of seasons and if Jürgen has the stomach we will win it.

You're right. The league really is very, very poor. But what is worse is that we're not in contention to win it. How poor is that? With the way the PL is this season, we really have missed a golden opportunity. Just goes to show the players we have are really not Liverpool FC standard. Not even up for a fight...

FL Red
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 31,313 posts | 6378 
      Reply #909: Jan 03, 2016 03:05:19 pm
      You're right. The league really is very, very poor. But what is worse is that we're not in contention to win it. How poor is that? With the way the PL is this season, we really have missed a golden opportunity. Just goes to show the players we have are really not Liverpool FC standard. Not even up for a fight...

Were they up for a fight against City and Chelsea?
      MarkMitt
      • Forum Legend - Fagan

• 2,800 posts | 337 
      Reply #910: Jan 03, 2016 03:09:57 pm
      Were they up for a fight against City and Chelsea?

So they're up for it against the "big hitters", but can't put up a fight against mid table teams? And you're questioning me?

;D! Well done. Two good performances in nearly 20 games...

FL Red
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 31,313 posts | 6378 
      Reply #911: Jan 03, 2016 03:13:54 pm
      So they're up for it against the "big hitters", but can't put up a fight against mid table teams? And you're questioning me?

;D! Well done. Two good performances in nearly 20 games...

I just asked a simple question, not sure why you are taking such a defensive tact with me. I'm honestly asking if they show fight sometimes but not others, then it's not that the players have no fight, they only show it at certain times so who's responsibility is it to get it out of them all the time?
      MarkMitt
      • Forum Legend - Fagan

• 2,800 posts | 337 
      Reply #912: Jan 03, 2016 03:20:11 pm
      I just asked a simple question, not sure why you are taking such a defensive tact with me. I'm honestly asking if they show fight sometimes but not others, then it's not that the players have no fight, they only show it at certain times so who's responsibility is it to get it out of them all the time?

It's clearly the players responsibility. They think they can just turn it on like a switch. Work hard for the " big games", but no need for the bread and butter games. It's nothing more than arrogance to be quite honest and I'm pretty damn sure it's a trait that never used to exist in our club, or in English football before the introduction of the PL and the ridiculous amounts of money that clubs/players now receive.

FL Red
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 31,313 posts | 6378 
      Reply #913: Jan 03, 2016 03:22:59 pm
      It's clearly the players responsibility. They think they can just turn it on like a switch. Work hard for the " big games", but no need for the bread and butter games. It's nothing more than arrogance to be quite honest and I'm pretty damn sure it's a trait that never used to exist in our club, or in English football before the introduction of the PL and the ridiculous amounts of money that clubs/players now receive.

When Brendan was in "charge" it was a commonly held belief by many on this forum (not saying you championed this, but many did) that it was his job to motivate the players to play their best, is that not now the standard that is in place? Have the rules changed?

And just to be clear, I agree that it's the players responsibility and have many posts saying as such. I just find it odd that many before blamed Brendan but now it's on the players shoulders.
      MarkMitt
      • Forum Legend - Fagan

• 2,800 posts | 337 
      Reply #914: Jan 03, 2016 03:28:53 pm
      When Brendan was in "charge" it was a commonly held belief by many on this forum (not saying you championed this, but many did) that it was his job to motivate the players to play their best, is that not now the standard that is in place? Have the rules changed?

And just to be clear, I agree that it's the players responsibility and have many posts saying as such. I just find it odd that many before blamed Brendan but now it's on the players shoulders.

Yes of course the manager/ coach has to ready his troops for battle so to speak, but once on that pitch, the players are fully responsible. All the pre game tactics and talks are well and good, but if they don't do it on the field, they have to be held responsible. And without a natural leader on the pitch, a midfield general or the such, too often our players are left wanting.

waltonl4
      • Forum Legend - Shankly

• 37,585 posts | 7139 
      Reply #915: Jan 03, 2016 03:38:44 pm

how many of those players from yesterday did Jürgen sign. They are all Brendan's he had the final word and if he couldn't motivate them then nobody can its January best start a 75% off all players sale they need to be gone and that era consigned to the history books.
      FL Red
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 31,313 posts | 6378 
      Reply #916: Jan 03, 2016 03:40:40 pm
      how many of those players from yesterday did Jürgen sign. They are all Brendan's he had the final word and if he couldn't motivate them then nobody can its January best start a 75% off all players sale they need to be gone and that era consigned to the history books.

Brendan didn't sign Suarez, Skrtel, Stevie, Henderson or Lucas either. They seemed to be motivated just fine?
      MarkMitt
      • Forum Legend - Fagan

• 2,800 posts | 337 
      Reply #917: Jan 03, 2016 03:42:52 pm
      Brendan didn't sign Suarez, Skrtel, Stevie, Henderson or Lucas either. They seemed to be motivated just fine?

No, but he certainly claimed all the plaudits off the back of Suarez!

waltonl4
      • Forum Legend - Shankly

• 37,585 posts | 7139 
      Reply #918: Jan 03, 2016 03:44:48 pm

so its Brendans fault then because signed all the others and only Lucas played yesterday
      FL Red
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 31,313 posts | 6378 
      Reply #919: Jan 03, 2016 03:49:46 pm
      No, but he certainly claimed all the plaudits off the back of Suarez!

Well Sturridge helped a little too that year, as did Sterling who it was widely recognized was nurtured by Brendan.

Quick Reply