Trending Topics

Next match: Betis v LFC [Friendly] Sat 27th Jul @ 12:30 am
      Acrisure Stadium

Today is the 16th of June and on this date LFC's match record is P0 W0 D0 L0

Pre-match Stoke V Liverpool League Cup semi-final 1st leg, 5th Jan 20.00

Read 8874 times
      KopiteLuke
      • Forum Legend - Shankly

• 21,056 posts | 3784 
      Re: Pre-match Stoke V Liverpool League Cup semi-final 1st leg, 5th Jan 20.00
      Reply #23: Jan 04, 2016 09:17:10 am
      Bogdan

Clyne
      Lovren
      Sakho
      Smith

Can
      Allen
      Coutinho

Ibe
      Lallana

Firmino

Call me crazy.

You're crazy!

But I wouldn't argue too much with the line-up mate. It's sad when I think so many of those aren't good enough but yet are our best options.

I'd gladly see Benteke dropped, I think our brand of football is so much better when he isn't in the side.

We need to get through this game relatively close with Stoke, a goal in it we could take with the fact we 'might' have Sturridge, Henderson, etc back for the 2nd leg. Having said that I think we can do these, as poorly as we have played we aren't as far away as the doom-mongers will have you believe. We're still creating chances, Lucas had one of the line and Can one of the bar in the previous game, Benteke numerous chances which he put out of the stadium and that was with us playing as poorly as that.

Jürgen will have properly read them the riot act, no doubting that so it will be up them to show what they have to respond with. The likes of Can and Lallana need to be much more aggressive, not be pushed around like little rag dolls, it's more embarrassing for Can given his stature but it's no less excusable for Lallana. If he wants the shirt fight for it like you mean it not like it might put your precious hair out of place. Benteke also falls into this category, if he plays he needs to show some damn aggression, give him a testosterone patch or something because a man of his size should dominate players, they should be frightened to come into contact with him.
      Redangel
      • Forum Legend - Dalglish

• 8,394 posts | 1025 
      Reply #24: Jan 04, 2016 09:30:18 am
      I wish I could say I was optimistic about this one, but in all honesty, I can't. This will be tough, Stoke will take the fight to us, I have no idea if we'll fight or flight!
      I hope we get a reaction from the players after Jürgen tore into them after West Ham, if they don't react the right way then we are indeed in serious trouble!
      Compuche
      • Forum Billy Liddell

• 547 posts | 39 
      Reply #25: Jan 04, 2016 10:26:34 am
      I hope the players wear masks so I don't have to know it's the same spineless bunch who lost few days ago.

A 4-4-1-1 option of Couts and Sturridge upfront should do. I hope to be pleasantly surprised with a comfortable win and a clean sheet with a winning consistency in subsequent games. Enough of the erratic performance.
      chats
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 31,522 posts | 2874 
      Reply #26: Jan 04, 2016 10:35:10 am
      I'd play Sturridge in this one and then wrap him in cotton wool for the second leg. Two biggest games of the month for me.

Any news on Hendo or Milner? Could do with both of them here as well.
      6stringer
      • Forum Legend - Benitez

• 2,051 posts | 517 
      Reply #27: Jan 04, 2016 11:00:45 am
      0-0 would be a result....

clint_call01
      • King Live Match Starter
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 11,732 posts | 3742 
      • Ynwa... lfc till I die !
      Reply #28: Jan 04, 2016 11:03:19 am
      Mignolet

Clyne
      Lovren
      Sakho
      Smith

Can
      Allen
      Coutinho

Ibe
      Lallana

Kent

Kent, Lallana and Coutinho to rotate :)
      « Last Edit: Jan 04, 2016 11:13:22 am by clint_call01 »
      waltonl4
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 37,791 posts | 7190 
      Reply #29: Jan 04, 2016 01:13:08 pm
      just thinking if we get to the final will Sturridge suddenly gain fitness a bit like Kewell
      HScRed1
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 20,232 posts | 4421 
      Reply #30: Jan 04, 2016 01:17:02 pm
      just thinking if we get to the final will Sturridge suddenly gain fitness a bit like Kewell

Sturridge is apparently fit but Jürgen wants him to have a pre season so lessen the chance of breaking down again.
      Good luck with that boss!

So more likely he will be available for Arsenal and Utd.
      waltonl4
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 37,791 posts | 7190 
      Reply #31: Jan 04, 2016 01:22:31 pm
      Sturridge is apparently fit but Jürgen wants him to have a pre season so lessen the chance of breaking down again.

So more likely he will be available for Arsenal and Utd.

I don't think he trust him regarding his fitness and seeing him training is a good idea but pressures might be influential especially if Benteke remains in a semi conscious state
      andylfcynwa
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 9,367 posts | 1638 
      Reply #32: Jan 04, 2016 01:34:25 pm
      Well I thought I'd never see the day thinking the un thinkable that these fckers could smash us over two legs , if our players turn up with their recent attitude then thats what will happen .

I just hope the fckers have taken a long look in the mirror and recognise that badge on their chest and the stature of the club they are playing for .
      JD
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 39,687 posts | 6981 
      Reply #33: Jan 04, 2016 02:06:27 pm
      I'm worried about this one.

Badly want to win this cup but I have a bad feeling about Stoke away given recent away performances.

Total 50/50 this tie for me.

Don't think it would be over if we got walloped or handed out a walloping in the first leg.

Yeah. He'll have figured him out by the summer.
      waltonl4
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 37,791 posts | 7190 
      Reply #34: Jan 04, 2016 03:35:23 pm
      Total 50/50 this tie for me.

Don't think it would be over if we got walloped or handed out a walloping in the first leg.

Yeah. He'll have figured him out by the summer.

Sturridge not available.
      LFC_Olly_91
      • Forum Jamie Redknapp

• 309 posts | 43 
      Reply #35: Jan 04, 2016 03:56:32 pm
      Was hoping we had some players back for this one, but looks like it will be the same squad available as against West Ham.

I'd go with:

Bogdan

Clyne
      Lovren
      Sakho
      Smith

Allen
      Lucas
      Emre Can

Lallana
      Firmino
      Coutinho

Subs: Mignolet; Randall, Toure, Moreno; Brannagan; Ibe; Benteke.

Not to confident about getting a win here, so hoping for a draw as Stoke are on form.

I'm going for 1-1.
      MsGerrard
      Reply #36: Jan 04, 2016 04:29:36 pm
      Bogdan

Clyne
      Lovren
      Sakho
      Smith

Can
      Allen
      Coutinho

Ibe
      Lallana

Firmino

Call me crazy.

I'm liking that team very much but bloody well leave Bogdan out will ya, he's a damn liability.
      bmck
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 9,605 posts | 1683 
      • YNWA
      Reply #37: Jan 04, 2016 04:59:37 pm
      Mignolet
      Clyne Lovren Sakho Smith
      Allen Can
      Lallana Coutinho Ibe
      Firmino

Would bench Benteke, and put Firmino up. And wouldn't even have Firmino if there was anyone else available.
      Give Smith a run, and Allen. Can for energy. And Ibe another chance.
      Maybe, just maybe, try to replicate even some semblance of the away performances that blew us away some weeks back.
      6stringer
      • Forum Legend - Benitez

• 2,051 posts | 517 
      Reply #38: Jan 04, 2016 08:21:49 pm
      We cannot allow then to score more than one goal tomorrow night.. if they do, we have to score one back..

Like I said earlier a 0-0 to me, takes the game back to Anfield as an open tie with everything to play for..and would be a result.

I'd even take a 0-1..

Going back to Anfield 0-2 down and an 11 man Stoke defence to break down would be a real tough one in our current form at trying to break teams down at Anfield..

Yes, like many i'd love us to turn them over but something tells me the Southampton performance was a one off and this lot won't lie down..

C'mon Jürgen, wind em up !!

Billy1
      • Forum Legend - Paisley

• 10,638 posts | 1966 
      Reply #39: Jan 04, 2016 08:48:41 pm

On reflection I think it is a little bit unfair to compare Kewell to Sturrdge,both have earned good money for none performance.
                        Back to Stoke we need to get a win and that will leave gaps in the Stoke defence at Anfield.
      TheRedMosquito
      • Forum Legend - Paisley

• 12,201 posts | 633 
      • Elmore James got nothin' on this baby!
      Reply #40: Jan 04, 2016 08:53:23 pm
      Stoke do like to actually play some football under Hughes, so I'd be for a front three of Ibe, Lallana and Firmino to press the backline.
      tezmac
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 11,302 posts | 943 
      • F**k the Sun F**k Murdoch F**k the press
      Reply #41: Jan 04, 2016 09:34:36 pm
      F**k me the BBC are reporting Sturidge is injured again....
      bmck
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 9,605 posts | 1683 
      • YNWA
      Reply #42: Jan 04, 2016 09:37:12 pm
      F**k me the BBC are reporting Sturidge is injured again....

It's beyond a joke

"Daniel Sturridge will miss Liverpool's League Cup semi-final first leg at Stoke on Tuesday after suffering a minor setback in training as he recovers from a hamstring injury."
      waltonl4
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 37,791 posts | 7190 
      Reply #43: Jan 04, 2016 09:45:36 pm
      It's beyond a joke

"Daniel Sturridge will miss Liverpool's League Cup semi-final first leg at Stoke on Tuesday after suffering a minor setback in training as he recovers from a hamstring injury."

apparently bent over to pick his wallet up and put his back out. He should have known you bend from the knees when picking up heavy objects.
      Its getting a bit embarrassing now isn't it
      bmck
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 9,605 posts | 1683 
      • YNWA
      Reply #44: Jan 04, 2016 09:54:54 pm
      apparently bent over to pick his wallet up and put his back out. He should have known you bend from the knees when picking up heavy objects.
      Its getting a bit embarrassing now isn't it

Tis. Klopp's doing the right thing though imo, keep him in training until he can sustain some level of fitness. Before putting him back in. Even still, he's got so bad, not sure he'll ever be up to playing in a Klopp side.
      waltonl4
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 37,791 posts | 7190 
      Reply #45: Jan 04, 2016 10:01:33 pm
      Tis. Klopp's doing the right thing though imo, keep him in training until he can sustain some level of fitness. Before putting him back in. Even still, he's got so bad, not sure he'll ever be up to playing in a Klopp side.

think Jürgen has told him straight prove to me your fit enough and he hasn't has he. With all the highly paid medical staff we have and access to the the best Doctors in the world this lad still cannot get himself free from injury.

Quick Reply