Trending Topics

Next match: West Ham v LFC [Premier League] Sat 27th Apr @ 12:30 pm
      London Stadium

Today is the 26th of April and on this date LFC's match record is P24 W15 D7 L2

What realistic targets do you bring in? (over the next couple of windows)

Read 11642 times
      -LFC-
      • Forum Legend - Fagan

• 4,213 posts | 1220 
      Re: What realistic targets do you bring in? (over the next couple of windows)
      Reply #92: Jan 03, 2016 08:28:36 pm
      I agree mate, apart from I would prefer a winger and a midfielder ... unless we can sell Benteke when I would want a striker as well.

I think a lot of our problems originate because of how narrow we play, we need a player out wide that can actually beat a man and  cross a ball.

Drawing defenders out of the middle rather than allowing them to be compact in the centre.

I think we would get some extra width and space to play in from the movement of a good striker as well mate but a winger who can also link up well is another option (I.e. Not a Stewart Downing).

I think we also need to look at them in the round, which was my earlier point. There are players who the manager will meet and think "is this the kind of character I want playing for LFC?".

True more footballers are pussies these days than before but surely we can find a striker, midfielder, winger or whoever who can lead by example and be something of a model of resilience and determination, not just someone who will give us more width or help us play with more fluidity.

When you add all these factors (including the restrictions of the market/available funds) then that should narrow the field to somewhere closer to what we want. I just fear every window we go into we get real excited and hopeful (guilty, your honour) and they don't turn out to be what we hoped.
      srslfc
      • Forum Legend - Shankly

• 32,247 posts | 4931 
      Reply #93: Jan 03, 2016 08:46:40 pm
      If we only bought a goalkeeper in January does anyone seriously think it would make the difference to our season?

I don't.

So got that reason I think a forward, with pace, or a midfield player with a few goals in him would have a much greater impact in the short term.
      FL Red
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 31,318 posts | 6380 
      Reply #94: Jan 03, 2016 09:02:43 pm
      If we only bought a goalkeeper in January does anyone seriously think it would make the difference to our season?

I don't.

So got that reason I think a forward, with pace, or a midfield player with a few goals in him would have a much greater impact in the short term.
      Until they get injured  :f_tongueincheek:
      Diego LFC
      • Forum Legend - Paisley

• 19,332 posts | 2832 
      • Sempre Liverpool
      Reply #95: Jan 03, 2016 09:24:05 pm
      I just watched Valencia v Real and I'm 100% sold on the idea of going after Paco Alcacer. Scored a goal, worked really hard, could have got an assist for the winning goal but someone (Negredo I think) missed the decisive chance.

Definitely the kind of striker I'd like us to see signing instead of the likes of Balotelli or Benteke.
      HScRed1
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 20,186 posts | 4404 
      Reply #96: Jan 03, 2016 09:49:41 pm
      I just watched Valencia v Real and I'm 100% sold on the idea of going after Paco Alcacer. Scored a goal, worked really hard, could have got an assist for the winning goal but someone (Negredo I think) missed the decisive chance.

Definitely the kind of striker I'd like us to see signing instead of the likes of Balotelli or Benteke.

Some of us last season were hoping he would be genuine target for LFC,  unfortunately Brendan only had eyes for a Belgium lamp post.

7-King Kenny-7
      • Lives on Sesame Street
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 44,014 posts | 5760 
      • You'll Never Walk Alone!
      Reply #97: Jan 03, 2016 09:56:05 pm
      Players with a bit of F***ing god damn passion wouldn't go a miss.
      rossyred
      • Forum Legend - Dalglish

• 9,284 posts | 1664 
      Reply #98: Jan 03, 2016 10:06:05 pm
      Players with a bit of f**king god damn passion wouldn't go a miss.
      Exactly Flanno never has or will be a world beater what he lacks in quality makes up for with a big heart . Mix these type players with a few of the more technical and skilful players and wont be far off
      AussieRed
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 20,748 posts | 6721 
      • You'll Never Walk Alone
      Reply #99: Jan 03, 2016 10:23:14 pm
      Players with a bit of f**king god damn passion wouldn't go a miss.

Spotfuckingon!

Need players who are willing and have the ability to take on their opponents, drive at goal and F***ing shoot with precision or even the basic skill of F***ing delivering a cross, corner or a set piece ffs!
      Dadorious

• 9,882 posts | 1545 
      Reply #100: Jan 03, 2016 10:24:33 pm
      A keeper, two full back a central midfielder and a striker.
      5timesacharm
      • Forum Legend - Fagan

• 4,507 posts | 948 
      Reply #101: Jan 03, 2016 11:23:59 pm
      A winger would only be of use if we're to keep Benteke and would pretty much negate the need for Coutinho, Lallana and Firmino who all play through the middle and are all under performing because our striker is static. It's common sense to get a striker that runs behind defenders allowing space for those players to put through balls, rather than overhauling the way the entire team operates. Far more sensible and less risky to get rid of Benteke and do what we should have done in the summer and replace him with a striker that suits our midfield.
      « Last Edit: Jan 03, 2016 11:57:26 pm by 5timesacharm »
      PastorGeek
      • Not Actual Geek
      • Forum Legend - Fagan

• 2,543 posts | 725 
      Reply #102: Jan 04, 2016 08:50:04 pm
      A winger would only be of use if we're to keep Benteke and would pretty much negate the need for Coutinho, Lallana and Firmino who all play through the middle and are all under performing because our striker is static. It's common sense to get a striker that runs behind defenders allowing space for those players to put through balls, rather than overhauling the way the entire team operates. Far more sensible and less risky to get rid of Benteke and do what we should have done in the summer and replace him with a striker that suits our midfield.

we would still need wingers regardless.
      Coutinho, Lallana and Firmino are not wingers, they have 0.0 pace

Cou has never played that well on the wings.

plus we still havent really replace sterling.

You telling me henrikh mkhitaryan on the right, Marco Reus on the left. Benteke up front are arent gonna get more goals?

Cmon bruh.
      5timesacharm
      • Forum Legend - Fagan

• 4,507 posts | 948 
      Reply #103: Jan 05, 2016 02:25:09 am
      we would still need wingers regardless.
      Coutinho, Lallana and Firmino are not wingers, they have 0.0 pace

Cou has never played that well on the wings.

plus we still havent really replace sterling.

You telling me henrikh mkhitaryan on the right, Marco Reus on the left. Benteke up front are arent gonna get more goals?

Cmon bruh.

You completely and utterly misunderstood my post. Go read it again.  :roll:
      Tadders

• 6,768 posts | 570 
      Reply #104: Jan 05, 2016 09:44:34 am
      When we played with 2 strikers, 1 world class, the other mysteriously injury free at the time, with a solid defensive midfielder, 1 winger - we scored more goals than the opposition, were great to watch and I loved watching us play. We nearly won the league and conceded 50 goals.

Under Brendan we never improved defensivley, he deserves a lot of credit for going for it, we didn't win the league but we were an absolute joy.

We couldn't defend for toffee, but what has changed there?

So in answer to your question - a GK - someone who has guts, can take the sh*te and bollock his defenders - Kasper Schemicel would do me. A Centre half like Carra is beyond our dreams, not another 20m dud please.

But a striker of world class quality would open up all the old opportunities of actually scoring goals, someone like Vardy or Kane
      AussieRed
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 20,748 posts | 6721 
      • You'll Never Walk Alone
      Reply #105: Jan 05, 2016 10:20:54 pm
      Bring in a new keeper, 2 central defenders, 2 wing backs, 4 midfielders (one holding), 2 wingers and 3 strikers. I think complacency has set in with the tea lady so change her also, groundsman? nah not good enough (only joking Terry!). While we are at it change the colour of the strip to blue or something..... :couch:

Was gonna give you a plus till I read that last line....that's just going overboard ATB.
      barrymanulow
      • Forum Legend - Benitez

• 1,014 posts | -14 
      Reply #106: Jan 07, 2016 07:21:54 am
      Was looking at some data on what managers have spent in the last 10 years

1 - Jose Mourinho – £619m
      2 - Manuel Pellegrini – £597m
      3 - Carlo Ancelotti – £466m
      4 - Roberto Mancini – £441m
      5 - Pep Guardiola – £382m
      6 - Rafa Benitez – £376m
      7 - Louis van Gaal – £337m
      8 - Arsene Wenger – £333m
      9 - Brendan Rodgers – £287m
      10 - Sir Alex Ferguson – £281 m

And Dortmund’s Spending Under Klopp during his time there 

Money spent: £130.13m
      Money received: £84.89m
      Net spend: £45.23m
      Average per season: £6.46m
      Players signed: 43

Amazing contrasts !!
      sore monad
      • Forum Legend - Benitez

• 2,020 posts | 527 
      Reply #107: Jan 07, 2016 07:24:26 pm
      Ok, for the current transfer window -

Lacazette. According to L'Equipe ( and the Daily Fail) Lyon accepted a £22m bid from Newcastle for him the other day, but, understandably, he didnt want to join Newcastle. He might fancy us though if we put in a similar bid. He would be what we should have got during the summer - a like-for-like replacement for Sturridge ( not saying he's as good as Sturridge, but a pacy, skilful goal scorer is what we need).

Ok thats the big money buy. Now, bearing in mind the word "realistic" in the thread title, and needing a couple of lower budget guys who can at least help us through our current injury woes -

Carles Gil from Villa. This guy would be cheap, but I really like him. He has imagination and a great left foot. He'd give us quality deliveries from wide areas ( and corners), something we sorely lack. With Coutinho out, we dont really have anybody who wants to play wide left. I think he'd an excellent squad player, with the possibility of becoming a first teamer over time.

Sign Stevie G up for a month, to give Can and Lucas some respite before they pick up injuries as well.

Long term, I'm happy with the CBs we've got, particularly as Gomez, Flanno and Wisdom could come into that category over time, so I'd give Ilori a chance right now before signing another CB.

The above is not my dream wishlist, but it wouldnt cost the earth ( hello there FSG!) and could keep our top 4 hopes alive this season, while giving us a striker of the type we probably need long term anyway.

Then Jürgen has the rest of the season to work out what we need in the summer.

Poko
      • Forum Legend - Benitez

• 1,502 posts | 65 
      Reply #108: Jan 07, 2016 08:16:23 pm
      I think we need a pacy winger (and I emphasize the word pace) who can dribble at defenders as well as put in a decent cross. To me that looks to be our biggest need. Coutinho, Lallana and Firmino are meant to play centrally for the most part. All of them are way to inconsistent and not fast enough for the wing.
      bmck
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 9,547 posts | 1667 
      • YNWA
      Reply #109: Jan 07, 2016 10:10:38 pm

Sign Stevie G up for a month, to give Can and Lucas some respite before they pick up injuries as well.

Don't think he's got 90 mins in him .. but how good would it be to see Stevie G lining out (maybe even as a short term, makeshift CB), or coming on with 20 mins to go in front of the Kop .... F**k YEAH !!!!!!!!!

If we signed a CB, it could take weeks to settle, by which time some of the existing guys would be back from injury. SG could slip straight in and be comfortable.
      Or maybe I just reaalllyy want to see him in Red again :)
      Given injury mess, don't think it's crazy by any means...
      sore monad
      • Forum Legend - Benitez

• 2,020 posts | 527 
      Reply #110: Jan 07, 2016 11:10:14 pm
      Don't think he's got 90 mins in him .. but how good would it be to see Stevie G lining out (maybe even as a short term, makeshift CB), or coming on with 20 mins to go in front of the Kop .... f**k YEAH !!!!!!!!!

If we signed a CB, it could take weeks to settle, by which time some of the existing guys would be back from injury. SG could slip straight in and be comfortable.
      Or maybe I just reaalllyy want to see him in Red again :)
      Given injury mess, don't think it's crazy by any means...

Yeah,  he could play CB for 2 or 3 games.

If everybody else was fit it would be an unnecessary sentimental gesture, a distraction really.
      But we are really struggling for players all over the place right now, its a bit of an emergency, and he is there training with us already. As a short term fix, we could do a lot worse.

[ Edit: just noticed he's in Australia right now haha. Too late for Exeter then anyway!]

Quick Reply