Trending Topics

Next match: Fulham v LFC [Premier League] Sun 21st Apr @ 4:30 pm
      Craven Cottage

Today is the 19th of April and on this date LFC's match record is P32 W19 D8 L5

LFC Reds Poll

Q. LFC Man of the Match?

Simon Mignolet
      1 (0.8%)
      Nathaniel Clyne
      2 (1.5%)
      Dejan Lovren
      0 (0%)
      Kolo Toure
      55 (42.3%)
      Alberto Moreno
      0 (0%)
      Lucas Leiva
      33 (25.4%)
      Joe Allen
      19 (14.6%)
      Emre Can
      8 (6.2%)
      Adam Lallana
      1 (0.8%)
      Phil Coutinho
      1 (0.8%)
      Roberto Firmino
      4 (3.1%)
      Jordon Ibe
      6 (4.6%)
      James Milner
      0 (0%)
      Christian Benteke
      0 (0%)

Total Members Voted: 126

Voting closed: Jan 08, 2016 10:05:53 pm

Stoke City 0:1 Liverpool. League Cup 1st Semi Final. Intra & post match debate

Read 35714 times
      SM
      • Forum Legend - Fagan

• 3,583 posts | 400 
      Re: Stoke City 0:1 Liverpool. League Cup 1st Semi Final. Intra & post match debate
      Reply #782: Jan 06, 2016 09:04:45 am
      Just wanted to give special shout to Clyne and Allen, none get mentioned much but both were excellent yesterday. I gave Allen man of the match, seems he has more in his locker when he has a bit of freedom to get forward rather than be the axis we play through.

Clyne for me has been very good all year, fitness is phenomenal and he's a good defender with it as well.
      redkop63
      • Forum Legend - Dalglish

• 6,890 posts | 455 
      Re: Stoke City 0:1 Liverpool. League Cup 1st Semi Final. Intra & post match debate
      Reply #783: Jan 06, 2016 09:57:13 am
      Can't find anything to complain, won't find anything to complain. Beat Stoke on their home turf inspite of having near to almost 1/2 the first team players out of action. It's never an easy game against Stoke moreso at their ground. Bravo! Bravo. Credit to Klopp and the players.
      « Last Edit: Jan 06, 2016 10:10:12 am by redkop63 »
      Joey B
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 1,664 posts | 46 
      Reply #784: Jan 06, 2016 10:20:10 am
      Great attitude out there last night.To think Lucas was almost out the door under Brendan.One of my personal joys is that he's still with us.Kolo !!! Nothing "fresh" to add to all his praises on here.Seems he might be ok,too.Have to give a big shout out to Joe Allen (never thought I would be singing his praises tbh).Last night he really became a man (always thought of him as a boy amongst men)His battling and distribution (under pressure) where immense.Well done Joe lad.Roll on Friday.YNWA.
      The Real Donavan Ried

• 5,120 posts | 949 
      Re: Live: Stoke V Liverpool
      Reply #785: Jan 06, 2016 10:21:47 am
      Lucas Emre in center defence for Friday then
      Why ? so they can pick up and injury too, That would really screw us for the second leg.... We have youths and reserves that what they are there for so lets use them. Let Can,Lucas,Allen etc, control the middle of the park and hopefully the youths won't have to much to do
      reddebs
      • "LFC Hipster"
      • Forum Legend - Paisley

• 17,980 posts | 2264 
      Reply #786: Jan 06, 2016 10:28:47 am
      Why ? so they can pick up and injury too, That would really screw us for the second leg.... We have youths and reserves that what they are there for so lets use them. Let Can,Lucas,Allen etc, control the middle of the park and hopefully the youths won't have to much to do

Unless you want to field a couple of rookie u18s CBs we don't have any fit youth or reserves mate.  Apart from Kolo we have NO senior or u21s CBs fit enough to use and Kolo might not be ok for Friday.
      Tadders

• 6,723 posts | 566 
      Reply #787: Jan 06, 2016 10:35:34 am
      What do we know about our team then?

Stoke away, tuesday in Winter, they are in great form and have smashed a lot of the top teams at home.

We are without our whole team nearly.

We put in the best performance of the season and still lose 2 of our best players to injury.

I am more clueless than I was before. But hey, Wembley does strange things to players...I thought Dejan was superb before he went off.
      waltonl4
      • Forum Legend - Shankly

• 37,585 posts | 7139 
      Reply #788: Jan 06, 2016 10:39:10 am
      Klopp was a CB wasn't he can you imagine playing alongside him he would make Jamie sound like a mute.
      if kolo is ok I think he will go with Lucas as a pairing. Flanno hopefully will be available. The good news is after Fridays game they have 5 days before the next one.
      HamannsTheMan
      • Forum Legend - Fagan

• 3,030 posts | 1973 
      Reply #789: Jan 06, 2016 10:56:35 am
      An excellent performance last night. Very professional.

The first twenty minutes when Coutinho was on the pitch we looked so dominant, a real threat in posession. After Coutinho went off we didn't look as threatening, but we were still very confident on the ball, covered so much ground and defended exceptionally - especially when you consider Kolo and Lucas were in the heart of defence for most the match. The lads really put a shift in and its something to be proud of.

There were a few candidates for motm but I gave it to Lucas. He was put into the CB position and handled it very very well. Kolo and Allen came close to getting my vote too though. Kolo was solid for 90 mins and commanded that back line and Allen worked his little welsh bollocks off.

During the live thread many people were criticising Firmino for his end product. I agree his end product wasn't the best last night BUT what I did notice about him is that he never ever stood still. He was constantly on the move, always looking for the ball. Stokes defence found it difficult to pick him up. You can't man mark somebody who is forever on the move but you can mark a big Belgian lump out the game who stands still for 90mins. I felt we were much better going forward last night and its again no surprise to be it was because Benteke was out the team.

This tie is not over and I think it will suit Stoke to play at Anfield. Their four lads upfront thrive off counter attack so we need to be careful. Well done though reds, very good response from our last game.

HamannsTheMan
      • Forum Legend - Fagan

• 3,030 posts | 1973 
      Reply #790: Jan 06, 2016 10:59:13 am
      What do we know about our team then?

Stoke away, tuesday in Winter, they are in great form and have smashed a lot of the top teams at home.

We are without our whole team nearly.

We put in the best performance of the season and still lose 2 of our best players to injury.

I am more clueless than I was before. But hey, Wembley does strange things to players...I thought Dejan was superb before he went off.

I think Dejan has been superb ever since Klopp came in. Certainly the most improved.  I've been very impressed with his leadership and the way he carries the ball out of defence recently too.
      xBooniex
      • Forum Legend - Benitez

• 1,278 posts | 28 
      Reply #791: Jan 06, 2016 11:01:28 am
      Fantastic performance from Allen, Toure and Lucas.

Allen would of been my Motm if he'd of stayed on but i suspect he may just of earned himself a chance.
      Lucas and Kolo were fantastic under the circumstances and Kolo showed great character to stay on the pitch.

I gave Motm to Lucas for his leadership and adaptability, a true captains performance.
      crouchinho
      • Forum Legend - Shankly

• 42,508 posts | 2620 
      • TU TA LOUCO? FILHO DA PUTA!
      Reply #792: Jan 06, 2016 11:02:59 am
      Just wanted to give special shout to Clyne and Allen, none get mentioned much but both were excellent yesterday. I gave Allen man of the match, seems he has more in his locker when he has a bit of freedom to get forward rather than be the axis we play through.

Clyne for me has been very good all year, fitness is phenomenal and he's a good defender with it as well.

srslfc
      • Forum Legend - Shankly

• 32,144 posts | 4897 
      Reply #793: Jan 06, 2016 11:21:23 am

:D

I think he's been solid but would struggle to label him 'good all year'.

Moreno has been the better full back fir me this season.
      s@int
      • Forum Legend - Paisley

• 14,987 posts | 2282 
      Reply #794: Jan 06, 2016 11:33:06 am
      I missed the game last night, but I was just looking at our stats .... 36% possession ?
      HamannsTheMan
      • Forum Legend - Fagan

• 3,030 posts | 1973 
      Reply #795: Jan 06, 2016 11:34:39 am
      I missed the game last night, but I was just looking at our stats .... 36% possession ?

Surely that's not right.

You sure it wasn't Stoke  :lmao: ?
      srslfc
      • Forum Legend - Shankly

• 32,144 posts | 4897 
      Reply #796: Jan 06, 2016 11:34:55 am

Just focus on the one stat that matters mate. ;)
      s@int
      • Forum Legend - Paisley

• 14,987 posts | 2282 
      Reply #797: Jan 06, 2016 11:38:16 am
      Surely that's not right.

You sure it wasn't Stoke  :lmao: ?

http://www.bbc.co.uk/sport/0/football/35155369

Just focus on the one stat that matters mate. ;)

I know mate, but 36%? Mignolet usually takes that long for a goal kick. :)

HamannsTheMan
      • Forum Legend - Fagan

• 3,030 posts | 1973 
      Reply #798: Jan 06, 2016 11:43:28 am

Bloody el.

Didn't seem like that!
      srslfc
      • Forum Legend - Shankly

• 32,144 posts | 4897 
      Reply #799: Jan 06, 2016 12:08:39 pm

He got booked again last night for taking too long. :D

I'll bet FL is furious. :f_tongueincheek:  ;D
      TonioLerouge
      • Forum Legend - Benitez

• 1,170 posts | 59 
      Reply #800: Jan 06, 2016 12:17:17 pm
      "Medical debrief". Haha. Whoever changed the title did a good job.

Speaking about it, why all the "debates" in game threads titles recently ?

I remember some years ago whoever was making match threads was always creative in how he called them after the game, you had "post match joy" or "post match consternation", "post game good effort lads", with sometimes very funny ones ("post game gg but please Kolo don't do it again" after his third own goal of a season, "post game heart attack" after a 4-3 with last minute winner, or whatever).
      "debate" was just the thing for divisive games, ie when we had won 1-0 playing badly or lost after playing well.
      Now looks like every thread title is an invitation to argue instead of sharing same collective emotions or concerns (not that we weren't arguing the same when the title was different, but...).
      srslfc
      • Forum Legend - Shankly

• 32,144 posts | 4897 
      Reply #801: Jan 06, 2016 12:27:00 pm
      Speaking about it, why all the "debates" in game threads titles recently ?

I remember some years ago whoever was making match threads was always creative in how he called them after the game, you had "post match joy" or "post match consternation", "post game good effort lads", with sometimes very funny ones ("post game gg but please Kolo don't do it again" after his third own goal of a season, "post game heart attack" after a 4-3 with last minute winner, or whatever).
      "debate" was just the thing for divisive games, ie when we had won 1-0 playing badly or lost after playing well.
      Now looks like every thread title is an invitation to argue instead of sharing same collective emotions or concerns (not that we weren't arguing the same when the title was different, but...).

This one had 'post match medical debrief' or something similar last night which I enjoyed.

Kudos who posted that one.
      marska43
      • Forum Matt Busby

• 132 posts | 14 
      Reply #802: Jan 06, 2016 12:45:42 pm
      What a win. This had disaster written all over it, being a cold night at Brittania with our best attacker and best defender going off before the half. But, our reds were resilient. How do you decide MOTM between Kolo and Lucas? Kolo, the 4th choice CB comes in out of the cold in such a big game, and manages the back line perfectly alongside a makeshift CB in Lucas, who was dealt battling with Crouch at the end. I went with Kolo because you could see his leadership keeping things tight. I thought Can was excellent, and Joe Allen has shown what he can bring to the side. I think he is technically better than 95% of people give him credit for. Now, if he could be any sort of a threat for a goal I'd be even happier. Firmino ran his socks off, I hope Benteke was watching b/c that is what this team needs from their striker. Ibe did well with his goal, in which Lallana was the catalyst for. All around, a great win but we're only half way there, now with a depleted squad. Klopp has his hands full now doesn't he.
      bmck
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 9,497 posts | 1644 
      • YNWA
      Reply #803: Jan 06, 2016 12:50:38 pm
      During the live thread many people were criticising Firmino for his end product. I agree his end product wasn't the best last night BUT what I did notice about him is that he never ever stood still. He was constantly on the move, always looking for the ball. Stokes defence found it difficult to pick him up. You can't man mark somebody who is forever on the move but you can mark a big Belgian lump out the game who stands still for 90mins. I felt we were much better going forward last night and its again no surprise to be it was because Benteke was out the team.

Thought he did well too, and would start him ahead of Benteke, certainly for now. He kept running, fair play to him even for that.

Don't think he's as 'sharp' into challenges as some of the guys (though he did steal the ball once and almost got in 1-1 and a shot away). And he has a languid kinda style that makes his tempo seem lower, but he is WELL able to make space for himself to get shots away - he just needs to improve his shooting accuracy and think he'll be on the scoresheet more.   And as you say, his movement is much better than Benteke's, so we looked a lot more threatening in our movement in the final third.  Good night for him last night.
      bigmick
      • Forum Legend - Paisley

• 10,078 posts | 2767 
      Reply #804: Jan 06, 2016 12:51:27 pm
      My ratings:

Mignolet: One excellent stop (from a shot) in the first half wih his left hand down low, a really top class effort that one. Generally did well and goes down in history as the first goalkeeper in history to be criticised by his own fans for wasting time when his team are 1-0 up. 8/10.

Moreno: On another day and against a less honest player than Whelan could have given a penalty away, but other than that had a good game. One occasion he almost got in on goal with the kind of out to in run I've been on about for ages, and it must only be a matter of time before he does, scores, and allows me to post "I've been saying all along...." followed by some bollocks. 7/10.

Lovren: Looked absolutely brilliant, a Rolls Royce centre half before he got injured. I made the point a week or so ago that on this form Lovren would get into every team in the Premiership, and on that form he would comfortably walk in. I just hope this setback doesn't mean that we rush back his identical twin brother, the one who's frightened of his own shadow and actually not very good. If we wait for the proper one, the one who got injured last night, we have on our hands a real proper centre half. 8/10.

Toure: Got better and better as the game went on. These "Alamo" situations suit Kolo down to the ground, and the more people got taken off injured the better he got. He's the kind of bloke you'd want in the trenches alongside you, and it shows what a clueless bunch of c**** we all are on this forum that when we looked completely lacking in backone, not ONE of us suggested bringing Kolo in.   
      He doesn't come in a tin, but if he did it'd say on it "gives absolutely 100% every single time he plays and fights for the cause". He does exactly what it would say on it. 9/10.

Clyne: I thought he was pretty good again. He's part of a defensive line which has kept three clean sheets in the last four matches and he's definately a significant part of that success. Solid and dependable. 7/10.

Lucas: A brave move by the manager to pick him after his recent awful performances, but the Brazilian repaid his faith in spades with a textbook Lucas performance. Good distribution, one fantastic tackle on Bojan and managed the game excellently. Even did pretty well at Centre half, although Hughes's reluctance to go route one as soon as he was put back there was baffling. 8/10.

Allen: Didn't put a foot wrong all night which is a little unusual, but what set this performance apart from every other one he's ever given in a red shirt is that he put a lot of feet right. Not only did he keep it, rotate posession, press and all the stuff he normally does, he actuallyinfluenced the game significantly. I've watched the replay of the goal quite a few times now and I still can't work out if he meant the assist or not. As it's Joe Allen I'd be inclined to think not, but he DOES kind of look at Ibe as he's doing it. Whichever way you look at it though he actually got into the box and meant or not, it made us a goal. Joe was my MOM. 9/10.

Can: One of his better games. This lad could really be anything. In two years time we could have the new Yaya Toure on our hands, on the other hand we could be looking at the new Tom Huddlestone. He has all the attributes to be a top player, but there's something there which makes me less convinced that he will make it than say a Ross Barclay or even a Deli Alli (or whatever the f*** his name is). Can has the talent to be better than both I'm just not 100% sure about him. A snarl here and there and a goal or two would help. 8/10.

Coutinho: Our best player is a little bit out of sorts at the moment, and I would agree with some of the other forum members that like Benteke, he may well not fit with the managers philosophy. Unlucky to get injured, but once agin before that it wasn't his best night. 6/10.

Lallana: Was better, but his Cruyf turn on the edge of our own box had our cat running for cover. Is a good player obviously, but needs to show it firstly every week, and secondly in the correct areas of the pitch. 7/10.

Firmino: I saw him coming in for stick fduring the game which I found baffling. I know he's been largely sh!te for his Liverpool career so far, but surely if your talking about the match while it's in progress you've got to put that aside. I thought he was excellent from start to finish, and speaking even as somebody who's sypmathetic and supportive of Benteke, claiming that Firmino didn't fill his boots with a significant amount over and above would be silly. Just needs to add goals to that sort of performance to be a real top player, very encouraging. 8/10.

Subs: Milner: "Plodded" around the pitch to great effect, winning tackles, getting his foot in, winning headers. Provided the pass of the match which led to the goal, then probably would have got a goal himself had Firmino not taken it off his toe end. Jürgen seems to really trust Milner, maybe he's old school like me and likes a couple of "plodders" in his team. Given that the definition of a "plodder" appears to be someone who gives 100% every game, sweats for the shirt, tackles people, occasionally kicks someone, wins headers, assists goals and plays passes which cause goals to be scored as well as chipping in with the odd goal himself I can't blame him. 8/10.

Ibe: Always looked a threat and although he mishit it a bit, got the vital goal. I like this kid and he's going to be a player. 8/10.

Benteke: Was always going to be difficult to make an impact given he's playing sh!te at the moment. Kept it simple, ran around a bit and got involved a couple of times. 6/10.

Quick Reply