Trending Topics

Next match: LFC v Spurs [Premier League] Sun 5th May @ 4:30 pm
      Anfield

Today is the 29th of April and on this date LFC's match record is P29 W11 D6 L12

LFC Reds Poll

Q. LFC Man of the Match?

Simon Mignolet
      1 (0.8%)
      Nathaniel Clyne
      2 (1.5%)
      Dejan Lovren
      0 (0%)
      Kolo Toure
      55 (42.3%)
      Alberto Moreno
      0 (0%)
      Lucas Leiva
      33 (25.4%)
      Joe Allen
      19 (14.6%)
      Emre Can
      8 (6.2%)
      Adam Lallana
      1 (0.8%)
      Phil Coutinho
      1 (0.8%)
      Roberto Firmino
      4 (3.1%)
      Jordon Ibe
      6 (4.6%)
      James Milner
      0 (0%)
      Christian Benteke
      0 (0%)

Total Members Voted: 126

Voting closed: Jan 08, 2016 10:05:53 pm

Stoke City 0:1 Liverpool. League Cup 1st Semi Final. Intra & post match debate

Read 35861 times
      brezipool
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 9,537 posts | 1773 
      • Mon the Red Machine !
      Re: Stoke City 0:1 Liverpool. League Cup 1st Semi Final. Intra & post match debate
      Reply #805: Jan 06, 2016 12:57:32 pm
      One word - Fantastic
      brezipool
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 9,537 posts | 1773 
      • Mon the Red Machine !
      Re: Stoke City 0:1 Liverpool. League Cup 1st Semi Final. Intra & post match debate
      Reply #806: Jan 06, 2016 12:59:21 pm
      But obv. Injury situe = BAD !!!
      waltonl4
      • Forum Legend - Shankly

• 37,586 posts | 7140 
      Reply #807: Jan 06, 2016 12:59:52 pm
      :D

I think he's been solid but would struggle to label him 'good all year'.

Moreno has been the better full back fir me this season.

I like Moreno the kid is lightening fast and he has improved his defensive work . I am more than happy with both Clyne and Moreno probably our quickest players who's hamstrings seem ok.
      dunlop liddell shankly
      • 2009 LFC quiz champion (now to be known as "Kate")
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 21,013 posts | 3352 
      Reply #808: Jan 06, 2016 01:42:54 pm
      We're on the march with Jürgen's Army. Wembley is well within sight now and thank F***ing F**k for that. This club should be winning trophies on a regular basis and this is our chance to win the first major trophy of the year. Successfully defend the lead back at Anfield and we're on our way. Don't care which c**t in blue we get in the final.

We were great defensively, Stoke didn't have a glutful of chances despite it probably be the least likely pairing of centre halves for the majority of the match. And even at the end, we had two central midfeidlers playing at the heart of the defence. But we dug in and got a much deserved clean sheet. Going forward, we showed the odd glimpse of brilliance but very often lacked that composure in the final third. A poor shot or a bad final ball. Overall though, a good away win for the first leg of the semi final.

Down to us to see the job through at Anfield now.

Mignolet - got another booking for time wasting (I didn't actually think it was that bad but it may of been) and flapped at the odd cross, however it wasn't his worst game by any means. Still, he clearly has a long way to go to convince us he's the answer to our goalkeeping problems.

Clyne - solid as usual yesterday, Stoke's front three or four have caused a lot of teams a lot of problems this year and Nath looked sound as F**k. Could have possibly won a penalty as well, maybe another day he would of. Couple of dodgy performances towards the back-end of 2015, has gone back to his steady self.

Toure - cult hero isn't he? He's been sh*t many times during his Liverpool career but yesterday he put in a heroic performance. Carrying on when his hamstring had clearly gone and still being the only one to actually jump and win a header in our box. That's the sort of thing Liverpool fans will love. Deserves all the praise he gets.

Lovren - given the injuries we've already got at centre half, it makes it a bigger blow to see Dejan pick up an injury. Even worse given his recent run of form. He looked alright for the half hour or so he was on though.

Moreno - like Clyne, kept a very tricky Stoke side quiet. So much so that they reverted to our tactics against West Ham, hit it long and hope for the best. His overall game has improved as the season went on. I said on here once that it looked as if was learning the role of full back on the job, it looks like he's getting there slowly but surely. The impressive display from Smith against the Hammers might have just given Albert the kick up the arse he needed.

Lucas - another heroic display. Filling it for two thirds of the match at centre half and not really putting a foot wrong showed a side of Lucas we haven't seen often enough this year. Incredible showing.

Can't - for me was his usual lumpish self. He gives it his all when trying to run and gets absolutely nowhere, it's reminiscent of Riise's idea of running. His passing is poor, his strength for a fella of his size is embarrassing at times. Still not convinced on him, considering the 13-14 pre-season he was the one of the new signings who impressed me most.

Allen - well he was Joe Allen wasn't he? A lot of nothing mainly. But nothing glaringly wrong with his performance yesterday, maybe one of the more underrated performers. While he did nothing to hurt Stoke, he done a lot of the donkey work in the middle of the park. Not gonna criticise his performance but it's not one I'll look back on with great praise either.

Coutinho - maybe the injury is the best thing that could of happened because his form has been so F***ing sh*te lately but he was still getting picked. On the other hand, you don't want to see your most creative player anywhere but on the pitch do you?

Lallana - put in the same performance he's put in for 18 months. Step overs, dropping the shoulder, dragging it back, extra touches, anything that makes him look fancy basically. And when it comes off, he looks like the world beater some think he is, when it doesn't he looks like the sh*t player some think he is. It came off a fair bit in the first half, second half he was sh*t.

Firmino - plenty of poor efforts on goal but created space for himself to get those shots quite well at times. Unfortunately given his start to a Liverpool career, he needs to be putting in great performances to win his critics round, not okish performances like yesterday. He's the first name on the team sheet for Exeter as far as I'm concerned though. Go and show some quality there, regain some form and confidence ahead of the Arsenal and United games.

Ibe - very well taken goal and worked hard but didn't do enough to get into the game more. He looks better on the left cutting in, than out on the right always trying to get to the byline. As a winger, he does need to contribute with goals and yesterday he did, thankfully.

Milner - steady sort of performance, nothing special, nothing noticeable but solid. That's great when you're paired with a creative player beside you or at least somebody who is gonna hurt the opposition, paired with Allen and/or Can it's all very much the same sort of player.

Benteke - I don't think the poor f**ker touched the ball.

Overall, a good win at a tricky ground. Three clean sheets in four games, three one nil wins in that time. Grinding out results has to be a good sign. Making us harder to break down gives you a better chance of winning games, it's what Arsenal were famous for under George Graham (and no, Mignolet, Clyne, Toure, Lovren, Moreno are no Seaman, Dixon, Adams, Bould, Winterburn but great teams are built by being hard to beat).

Head back to Anfield with a lead, see the job through at home and off we go to Wembley - again. Win our 9th League Cup and extend our lead as the most successful club in that competition and in English football.

Well played Reds.
      FL Red
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 31,331 posts | 6386 
      Reply #809: Jan 06, 2016 01:44:36 pm
      If I read it right, we're undefeated when Kolo starts at CB. Better get that man fit.
      s@int
      • Forum Legend - Paisley

• 14,987 posts | 2282 
      Reply #810: Jan 06, 2016 02:38:39 pm
      I like Moreno the kid is lightening fast and he has improved his defensive work . I am more than happy with both Clyne and Moreno probably our quickest players who's hamstrings seem ok.

FFS Walt don't say that!
      waltonl4
      • Forum Legend - Shankly

• 37,586 posts | 7140 
      Reply #811: Jan 06, 2016 03:08:49 pm

maybe we should dissect them and see what they have got that others haven't. Media making it out that only Liverpool have them well take out Sturridge and we have 5 now Newcastle have 4 and have played about 10 games fewer but I don't see the media camping out waiting to have a go at McClaren this is the media trying to get their mitts on to Jürgen and you could see last night he was getting pissed off with them
      LondonRed83
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 21,652 posts | 3920 
      Reply #812: Jan 06, 2016 03:10:56 pm
      We're on the march with Jürgen's Army. Wembley is well within sight now and thank f**king f**k for that. This club should be winning trophies on a regular basis and this is our chance to win the first major trophy of the year. Successfully defend the lead back at Anfield and we're on our way. Don't care which c**t in blue we get in the final.

We were great defensively, Stoke didn't have a glutful of chances despite it probably be the least likely pairing of centre halves for the majority of the match. And even at the end, we had two central midfeidlers playing at the heart of the defence. But we dug in and got a much deserved clean sheet. Going forward, we showed the odd glimpse of brilliance but very often lacked that composure in the final third. A poor shot or a bad final ball. Overall though, a good away win for the first leg of the semi final.

Down to us to see the job through at Anfield now.

Mignolet - got another booking for time wasting (I didn't actually think it was that bad but it may of been) and flapped at the odd cross, however it wasn't his worst game by any means. Still, he clearly has a long way to go to convince us he's the answer to our goalkeeping problems.

Clyne - solid as usual yesterday, Stoke's front three or four have caused a lot of teams a lot of problems this year and Nath looked sound as f**k. Could have possibly won a penalty as well, maybe another day he would of. Couple of dodgy performances towards the back-end of 2015, has gone back to his steady self.

Toure - cult hero isn't he? He's been sh*t many times during his Liverpool career but yesterday he put in a heroic performance. Carrying on when his hamstring had clearly gone and still being the only one to actually jump and win a header in our box. That's the sort of thing Liverpool fans will love. Deserves all the praise he gets.

Lovren - given the injuries we've already got at centre half, it makes it a bigger blow to see Dejan pick up an injury. Even worse given his recent run of form. He looked alright for the half hour or so he was on though.

Moreno - like Clyne, kept a very tricky Stoke side quiet. So much so that they reverted to our tactics against West Ham, hit it long and hope for the best. His overall game has improved as the season went on. I said on here once that it looked as if was learning the role of full back on the job, it looks like he's getting there slowly but surely. The impressive display from Smith against the Hammers might have just given Albert the kick up the arse he needed.

Lucas - another heroic display. Filling it for two thirds of the match at centre half and not really putting a foot wrong showed a side of Lucas we haven't seen often enough this year. Incredible showing.

Can't - for me was his usual lumpish self. He gives it his all when trying to run and gets absolutely nowhere, it's reminiscent of Riise's idea of running. His passing is poor, his strength for a fella of his size is embarrassing at times. Still not convinced on him, considering the 13-14 pre-season he was the one of the new signings who impressed me most.

Allen - well he was Joe Allen wasn't he? A lot of nothing mainly. But nothing glaringly wrong with his performance yesterday, maybe one of the more underrated performers. While he did nothing to hurt Stoke, he done a lot of the donkey work in the middle of the park. Not gonna criticise his performance but it's not one I'll look back on with great praise either.

Coutinho - maybe the injury is the best thing that could of happened because his form has been so f**king sh*te lately but he was still getting picked. On the other hand, you don't want to see your most creative player anywhere but on the pitch do you?

Lallana - put in the same performance he's put in for 18 months. Step overs, dropping the shoulder, dragging it back, extra touches, anything that makes him look fancy basically. And when it comes off, he looks like the world beater some think he is, when it doesn't he looks like the sh*t player some think he is. It came off a fair bit in the first half, second half he was sh*t.

Firmino - plenty of poor efforts on goal but created space for himself to get those shots quite well at times. Unfortunately given his start to a Liverpool career, he needs to be putting in great performances to win his critics round, not okish performances like yesterday. He's the first name on the team sheet for Exeter as far as I'm concerned though. Go and show some quality there, regain some form and confidence ahead of the Arsenal and United games.

Ibe - very well taken goal and worked hard but didn't do enough to get into the game more. He looks better on the left cutting in, than out on the right always trying to get to the byline. As a winger, he does need to contribute with goals and yesterday he did, thankfully.

Milner - steady sort of performance, nothing special, nothing noticeable but solid. That's great when you're paired with a creative player beside you or at least somebody who is gonna hurt the opposition, paired with Allen and/or Can it's all very much the same sort of player.

Benteke - I don't think the poor f**ker touched the ball.

Overall, a good win at a tricky ground. Three clean sheets in four games, three one nil wins in that time. Grinding out results has to be a good sign. Making us harder to break down gives you a better chance of winning games, it's what Arsenal were famous for under George Graham (and no, Mignolet, Clyne, Toure, Lovren, Moreno are no Seaman, Dixon, Adams, Bould, Winterburn but great teams are built by being hard to beat).

Head back to Anfield with a lead, see the job through at home and off we go to Wembley - again. Win our 9th League Cup and extend our lead as the most successful club in that competition and in English football.

Well played Reds.

Spot on
      rossyred
      • Forum Legend - Dalglish

• 9,292 posts | 1664 
      Reply #813: Jan 06, 2016 08:34:06 pm
      Yes effort is a bare minimum but judging someone who puts in the effort and then continues to push themselves when many others wouldn't is why he deserves credit. Saying it's the "bare minimum" is as if that's what we see in every other player in the league, we don't. Most of them (like Benteke) deserve criticism for not putting in the bare minimum but when someone puts in more effort than those that do put in effort then they deserve credit in my book.

If you can understand that well done :lmao: but basically it's a pair of scales and right now Benteke and Firmino would about even them out with the level of shifts they put in, so you decide how criticism and credit should be passed out, to me it's obvious.

I will criticize when I think it warrants and praise when it warrants fairly simple really.
      lfc across the water
      • Needs a Klopp hug...Rafa's Number 1 fan...VAR has no faults Promoter
      • Forum Legend - Fagan

• 3,863 posts | 704 
      Reply #814: Jan 08, 2016 12:38:32 pm
      Quote from bigmick
      My ratings: allows me to post some bollocks.

:D

Coutinho: Our best player is a little bit out of sorts at the moment, and I would agree with some of the other forum members that like Benteke, he may well not fit with the managers philosophy. Unlucky to get injured, but once agin before that it wasn't his best night.

After Benteke, he is everyone's favourite scapegoat atm, but he is still carrying that hamstring injury, and is out with it again. I thought he was cutting Stoke apart in the short time he was on, and our tempo dropped significantly when he came off. He is our best player and that will be shown in the coming games. He would have had a field day setting chances up, and even taking some.

In general, we won a game we didn't need to win, and at West Ham, lost a game we desperately needed to win. Typical.

We've now won 5 of our last 6 games against Stoke, and with this win and away goal, we really should finish the job at home.

Quick Reply