Trending Topics

Next match: LFC v Brighton [Premier League] Sun 31st Mar @ 2:00 pm
      Anfield

Today is the 29th of March and on this date LFC's match record is P24 W11 D6 L7

LFC Reds Poll

Q. LFC Man of the Match?

Simon Mignolet
      1 (0.8%)
      Nathaniel Clyne
      2 (1.5%)
      Dejan Lovren
      0 (0%)
      Kolo Toure
      55 (42.3%)
      Alberto Moreno
      0 (0%)
      Lucas Leiva
      33 (25.4%)
      Joe Allen
      19 (14.6%)
      Emre Can
      8 (6.2%)
      Adam Lallana
      1 (0.8%)
      Phil Coutinho
      1 (0.8%)
      Roberto Firmino
      4 (3.1%)
      Jordon Ibe
      6 (4.6%)
      James Milner
      0 (0%)
      Christian Benteke
      0 (0%)

Total Members Voted: 126

Voting closed: Jan 08, 2016 10:05:53 pm

Stoke City 0:1 Liverpool. League Cup 1st Semi Final. Intra & post match debate

Read 35518 times
      clint_call01
      • King Live Match Starter
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • Started Topic
      • 11,659 posts | 3670 
      • Ynwa... lfc till I die !
      Stoke City 0:1 Liverpool. League Cup 1st Semi Final. Intra & post match debate
      Jan 05, 2016 07:00:02 pm

https://twitter.com/LFC/status/684452739359883264

Liverpool players training yesterday evening

Britannia Stadium tonight

I hope these players play for the 96. (I was thinking about them, Rip 96. Sorry if it is out of point but for me it is never out of point to remember our brothers and sisters.) We need to have passion to win anything! Ynwa

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ecG2xkc0O4A

Starting XI: Mignolet, Clyne, Toure, Lovren, Moreno, Lucas, Can, Allen, Coutinho, Lallana, Firmino

Subs: Bogdan, Milner, Benteke, Brannagan, Ibe, Smith, Randall

The Reds are appearing in a record 16th League Cup semi-final this evening. Sakho missing due to injury and Benteke dropped to the bench with Firmino starting up front. Milner named among subs.

Kolo Toure starts for Liverpool as Jürgen Klopp makes three changes for this evening’s League Cup semi-final, first-leg clash with Stoke City.

The Ivorian begins in the centre of defence at the Britannia Stadium in place of Mamadou Sakho.

There are also recalls for Adam Lallana and Joe Allen against the Potters, with Christian Benteke and Jordon Ibe named on the bench.

James Milner is among the substitutes, returning to the squad for the first time since sustaining a calf injury.
      « Last Edit: Jan 05, 2016 10:11:49 pm by JD »
      KopiteLuke
      • Forum Legend - Shankly

• 21,056 posts | 3784 
      Re: Live: Stoke V Liverpool
      Reply #1: Jan 05, 2016 07:03:22 pm
      Glad to see Benteke dropped, whether win, lose or draw I think that's the right call, well in Jürgen.

As for Lucas starting, I'm a little nervous about that one, Allen probably deserves a chance given the level of form the others have shown but I must admit those 3 in midfield I hope it's Can as the furthest forward.

Think we'll win a tight affair but a draw would by no means be a bad result,

Come on lads!!!
      crouchinho
      • Forum Legend - Shankly

• 42,508 posts | 2620 
      • TU TA LOUCO? FILHO DA PUTA!
      Reply #2: Jan 05, 2016 07:04:33 pm
      Afellay, Shaqiri, Arnautovic and Bojan up top for the Potters.

Against Kolo and Moreno with Mignolet as our last line of defence. Back to feeling sh*t about this.

Fingers crossed! Need the front three to click.
      clint_call01
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • Started Topic
      • 11,659 posts | 3670 
      Reply #3: Jan 05, 2016 07:07:24 pm
      Why League Cup semi-finals could leave Liverpool in an away daze

Don't fight the law

According to law 13.5 from the League Cup's official website: "In the Semi-Final ties, if the aggregate score is level at the end of the second game an extra half-hour shall be played. If the aggregate scores are still level at the end of extra time the tie shall be decided by goals scored away from home counting twice.

"If the teams remain equal after this procedure the tie shall be determined by the taking of kicks from the penalty mark in accordance with the Laws of Association Football."

Basically, it adopts its own methods (key to note this is only used for the semi-finals as the previous rounds are only one tie finished on the night by extra time and penalties if needed).

If the scores remain level after both legs, but someone has scored more away goals in the tie, it won't matter as there will be extra time anyway, but away goals then become active from extra-time onwards.
      Goals, lovely goals

Still with us?

In terms of last season, Liverpool were given an extra 30 minutes lifeline to try get back into the game against Chelsea, before Branislav Ivanovic popped up in the 94th minute to secure the away goal rule wasn't needed.

The first leg at Anfield saw Liverpool draw 1-1, Eden Hazard converted a penalty early on for an away goal which was later equalised by Raheem Sterling.

The second leg then saw the scores finish at 0-0 after 90 minutes. If the game was in Europe, Liverpool would have been out. Instead they had another half-hour to grab an all important goal, as Hazard's away goal from the first leg now became active.

Instead, Branislav Ivanovic popped up with a header and made it 1-0 (2-1 on aggregate) and the confusing League Cup away goals rule wasn't needed.

There has only been one instance of the rule working since the Millennium. In 2006, Wigan won their first leg at home 1-0, and lost their second leg 2-1 at the Emirates, but that vital 118th-minute strike from Jason Roberts crushed Arsenal's hopes of reaching the final.

http://www.liverpoolecho.co.uk/sport/football/football-news/capital-one-cup-semi-finals-10690648
      HamannsTheMan
      • Forum Legend - Fagan

• 3,030 posts | 1973 
      Reply #4: Jan 05, 2016 07:07:53 pm
      Kolo in the side doesn't half worry me. Especially against their four upfront.

Glad to see benteke out the side.

Watch Firmino and coutinho rip them apart now...

andylfcynwa
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 9,318 posts | 1611 
      Reply #5: Jan 05, 2016 07:08:55 pm
      Hoping for the best fearing the worst , but win lose or draw come out swinging and don't stop till you got fck all left to give , then at least we will have seen you do your best , and no one can ask for more than your best  , good luck tonight reds  go out and earn respect .
      Aggerdoo
      • Forum Legend - Fagan

• 3,464 posts | 228 
      Reply #6: Jan 05, 2016 07:09:30 pm
      Why League Cup semi-finals could leave Liverpool in an away daze

Don't fight the law

According to law 13.5 from the League Cup's official website: "In the Semi-Final ties, if the aggregate score is level at the end of the second game an extra half-hour shall be played. If the aggregate scores are still level at the end of extra time the tie shall be decided by goals scored away from home counting twice.

"If the teams remain equal after this procedure the tie shall be determined by the taking of kicks from the penalty mark in accordance with the Laws of Association Football."

Basically, it adopts its own methods (key to note this is only used for the semi-finals as the previous rounds are only one tie finished on the night by extra time and penalties if needed).

If the scores remain level after both legs, but someone has scored more away goals in the tie, it won't matter as there will be extra time anyway, but away goals then become active from extra-time onwards.
      Goals, lovely goals

Still with us?

In terms of last season, Liverpool were given an extra 30 minutes lifeline to try get back into the game against Chelsea, before Branislav Ivanovic popped up in the 94th minute to secure the away goal rule wasn't needed.

The first leg at Anfield saw Liverpool draw 1-1, Eden Hazard converted a penalty early on for an away goal which was later equalised by Raheem Sterling.

The second leg then saw the scores finish at 0-0 after 90 minutes. If the game was in Europe, Liverpool would have been out. Instead they had another half-hour to grab an all important goal, as Hazard's away goal from the first leg now became active.

Instead, Branislav Ivanovic popped up with a header and made it 1-0 (2-1 on aggregate) and the confusing League Cup away goals rule wasn't needed.

There has only been one instance of the rule working since the Millennium. In 2006, Wigan won their first leg at home 1-0, and lost their second leg 2-1 at the Emirates, but that vital 118th-minute strike from Jason Roberts crushed Arsenal's hopes of reaching the final.

http://www.liverpoolecho.co.uk/sport/football/football-news/capital-one-cup-semi-finals-10690648

I've always hated away goals rule with a passion. Remember when Athletico Madrid knocked us out? They had 120 mins for away goals as the 2nd game was at Anfield, we had only 90 mins.
      RedPuppy
      • Still European.
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 19,251 posts | 2854 
      • Parum Rutilus Canis: Illegitimi non carborundum
      Reply #7: Jan 05, 2016 07:10:03 pm
      I like the post mark for the 96, never seen that before.

Just remember this is a 2 legged affair, I just hope the players play as if this is a single knockout game and go for the kill.

bmck
      • Forum Legend - Dalglish

• 9,404 posts | 1611 
      • YNWA
      Reply #8: Jan 05, 2016 07:11:00 pm
      Pretty much who I'd have started, except would have Sahko & Ibe on for Toure and Lucas.
      Still, good to see Benteke dropped, will see what difference it makes, if any. Hopefully we'll be a bit more cohesive up front.
      In saying that, think its a wet and windy night in Stoke. Conditions can level things, so we need to be prepared to fight, remains to be seen if we're up for it.
      Stoke will be well up for it, so need to be at this from the start.
      CMON BOYS!!!!!!!!!!!
      srslfc
      • Forum Legend - Shankly

• 32,111 posts | 4876 
      Reply #9: Jan 05, 2016 07:12:24 pm
      Glad to see Benteke dropped, whether win, lose or draw I think that's the right call, well in Jürgen.

Even if we lose and don't score?
      clint_call01
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • Started Topic
      • 11,659 posts | 3670 
      Reply #10: Jan 05, 2016 07:13:00 pm
      We need to have a good performance, I'm going for 1-1 draw. Hope we are still in the game for the second round.

I'm hopeful that Milner is back on the bench because we need him to up his game and help us in the New year.
      KopiteLuke
      • Forum Legend - Shankly

• 21,056 posts | 3784 
      Reply #11: Jan 05, 2016 07:14:50 pm
      Even if we lose and don't score?

Yes mate, hindsight is 20/20 and all that. I agree with the decision now, it would be hypocritical to say it was wrong later wouldn't it.
      what-a-hit-son
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 16,466 posts | 4816 
      • t: @MrPrice1979 i: @klmprice101518
      Reply #12: Jan 05, 2016 07:15:07 pm
      F**k off Liverpool FC.

Smoking? Yeah.

Drinking in abundance? Hell yeah.

New Years Resolutions and dry(ish) January? See you's in a  bit.

Come on you f**king reds!!!

Edit: Gambling? How could I forget. Grr
      Frankly, Mr Shankly
      Reply #13: Jan 05, 2016 07:15:39 pm
      As the only available striker, Benteke can't even work his way into a first eleven depleted and ravaged with injury.

Way to go.

Correct decision. Running a measly 8km on Saturday was perhaps the most pathetic of all the pathetic stats associated with him that afternoon.
      bmck
      • Forum Legend - Dalglish

• 9,404 posts | 1611 
      • YNWA
      Reply #14: Jan 05, 2016 07:17:49 pm
      As the only available striker, Benteke can't even work his way into a first eleven depleted and ravaged with injury.

Way to go.

Says a lot that think most probably agree.
      If it comes to it, can always bring him on ... and with something to prove, he'll be liftin lads out if it ...
      KopiteLuke
      • Forum Legend - Shankly

• 21,056 posts | 3784 
      Reply #15: Jan 05, 2016 07:21:27 pm
      Correct decision. Running a measly 8km on Saturday was perhaps the most pathetic of all the pathetic stats associated with him that afternoon.

Thinking about it mate and after Klopp publicaly made it known Benteke had to run that will have really pissed him off.
      Compuche
      • Forum Billy Liddell

• 547 posts | 39 
      Reply #16: Jan 05, 2016 07:22:05 pm
      I'm not expecting much from this team but I still hope to be pleasantly surprised with a win. I hope stoke play their usual ground ball today and not change their tactics to aerial balls - our usual weakness.
      David Wright
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 5,233 posts | 752 
      Reply #17: Jan 05, 2016 07:22:28 pm
      Gone for a 1  1 draw, after such a poor performance, at the weekend against West Ham. Surely the lads will be up for this tie. It is high time Jürgen started getting tough on a number of players.
      Diego LFC
      • Forum Legend - Paisley

• 19,326 posts | 2823 
      • Sempre Liverpool
      Reply #18: Jan 05, 2016 07:25:31 pm
      Glad to see Milner back, even if on the bench. We played our best football this season with Firmino up top, away from home, so let's hope we see some of it again.

Hoping for a much improved performance from Coutinho who can be so much better than his recent self. Also hope Can will start to repay Klopp's continuing confidence in him.

Come on Reds!
      Lio Varadkar
      • Forum Emlyn Hughes

• 785 posts | 66 
      Reply #19: Jan 05, 2016 07:26:17 pm
      Unfortunately 3:1 or 4:2 Stoke but still a glimmer of hope for Liverpool in the 2nd leg. We are not very good at the moment.
      GERNS
      • Forum Legend - Paisley

• 12,208 posts | 1503 
      Reply #20: Jan 05, 2016 07:29:00 pm
      Although I was praying the right side turned up and we got a win against the hammers, I was never over confident that would be the case. I'm even less confident about tonight. Hoping the work rate and attitude is improved by 50% at least, and they can surprise me with a nice  2:0 win.
      Won't hold my breath.
      waltonl4
      • Forum Legend - Shankly

• 37,585 posts | 7139 
      Reply #21: Jan 05, 2016 07:29:34 pm
      I like that team at least they will not be looking for a 6ft 4 in post stuck in the ground
      waltonl4
      • Forum Legend - Shankly

• 37,585 posts | 7139 
      Reply #22: Jan 05, 2016 07:31:15 pm
      maybe Chelsea have put in a £50mil bid for Benteke. What must be going through Benteke's head ? possibly get me out of here.

Quick Reply