Trending Topics

Next match: LFC v Brighton [Premier League] Sun 31st Mar @ 2:00 pm
      Anfield

Today is the 28th of March and on this date LFC's match record is P26 W11 D3 L12

LFC Reds Poll

Q. LFC Man of the Match?

Adam Bogdan
      4 (3.4%)
      Connor Randall
      2 (1.7%)
      Jose Enrique
      2 (1.7%)
      Tiago Ilori
      2 (1.7%)
      Brad Smith
      69 (58.5%)
      Cameron Brannagan
      9 (7.6%)
      Kevin Stewart
      1 (0.8%)
      Ryan Kent
      6 (5.1%)
      Joao Teixeira
      15 (12.7%)
      Jerome Sinclair
      3 (2.5%)
      Christian Benteke
      0 (0%)
      Pedro Chirivella
      0 (0%)
      Sheyi Ojo
      5 (4.2%)
      Joe Maguire
      0 (0%)

Total Members Voted: 114

Voting closed: Jan 13, 2016 10:00:27 pm

Exeter 2-2 Liverpool: In game and Post Match debate

Read 36638 times
      s@int
      • Forum Legend - Paisley
      • Started Topic

• 14,987 posts | 2282 
      Re: Exeter 2-2 Liverpool: In game and Post Match debate
      Reply #621: Jan 09, 2016 02:38:58 pm
      For those of you not used to watching youth footy that was a typical performance from the lads.

It's normal for them to drift in and out of games.  It's normal for them to be inconsistent.  It's normal to have a couple of wtf moments in a game. 

It wasn't the best performance and it wasn't the best result but they get to have another go, at Anfield and on our terms.  Our crowd, our pitch, under lights and with a few more days to prepare, I'll take that!

I'm so pleased that JĂźrgen didn't bow to pressure and bring on Lucas or Lallana, he allowed the lads time and confidence to work it out for themselves and they did.

I said they don't know when they're beaten, I had every faith in them and so it seems the boss did too.

I voted Smith motm but they all did well.

I was a little surprised at just how technically proficient they were. Kent and Tex especially both showed great technique at times.

Worry for me was they were very lightweight and too easily brushed off the ball ... seemed Klopp wasn't too thrilled with that side of their game either.

I know they are quite young but Tex for example is 22 and needs to show more strength as well as his fast feet if he is to progress. Especially after the last few to come through Spearing, Flanagan, Stirling and Ibe all seemed to be well able to cope with the physical side.

I only saw the first half btw.

chats
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 31,018 posts | 2741 
      Reply #622: Jan 09, 2016 02:39:27 pm
      Taking a young team away in the FA Cup anywhere is really tough so a draw in these circumstances is not too bad at all. Considering a couple of the players were at other clubs 24 hours before the game and only one player that started had really had a run in the first team you can't be too disappointed at that result. Yes it's another game but if we can get a centre back or two fit for the replay then I'd bank on the young lads being able to see us through.

Ojo, Smith and Tex were the main three standout players for me. Ojo really looks like he has something about him, Smith looks like he can push Moreno and you can see the class that Tex has (although now he's 22, he really needs to start improving that end product and fast). Kent was impressive in spells as well, he might be a year or so away though.

As for the negatives, well I can only hope that was the last time we see Enrique and Bogdan in Liverpool shirts. Benteke was shocking as well again.
      bigmick
      • Forum Legend - Paisley

• 10,078 posts | 2767 
      Reply #623: Jan 09, 2016 02:44:40 pm
      For those of you not used to watching youth footy that was a typical performance from the lads.

It's normal for them to drift in and out of games.  It's normal for them to be inconsistent.  It's normal to have a couple of wtf moments in a game. 

It wasn't the best performance and it wasn't the best result but they get to have another go, at Anfield and on our terms.  Our crowd, our pitch, under lights and with a few more days to prepare, I'll take that!

I'm so pleased that JĂźrgen didn't bow to pressure and bring on Lucas or Lallana, he allowed the lads time and confidence to work it out for themselves and they did.

I said they don't know when they're beaten, I had every faith in them and so it seems the boss did too.

I voted Smith motm but they all did well.

Spot on Debs and it's the same anywhere you watch kids play. This is magnified when you take those kids and pitch them in against men, and then stick them on a pitch which is about as bad as they'll ever play on. The game last night bore no resemblence to the football these lads are used to, but most of them came through with flying colours. The naiivety was annoying at times but great to see really, and such things as their reluctance to cross it in for a striker who had it in his capability to win the game for them on his own is just a lack of experience. Equally, step overs, flicks and dinks don't work on cabbage patches and lesser players love it when you try that stuff on poor surfaces, but they'll learn that too.

Watching it you almost had to put the actual match to one side to get a true read on the players potential, and that's why I had Teixera down as MOM. He was clearly in my eyes the best and most gifted player on the pitch, while Kent has obvious potential and Smith being such a good athlete will make the grade as well. For many of the others a career at Wolves, Tranmere, Bolton and Birmingham beckons, along with the ignominity of having to get by on only about 20K a week. Who'd be a footballer eh?

reddebs
      • "LFC Hipster"
      • Forum Legend - Paisley

• 17,980 posts | 2264 
      Reply #624: Jan 09, 2016 03:04:19 pm
      I was a little surprised at just how technically proficient they were. Kent and Tex especially both showed great technique at times.

Worry for me was they were very lightweight and too easily brushed off the ball ... seemed Klopp wasn't too thrilled with that side of their game either.

I know they are quite young but Tex for example is 22 and needs to show more strength as well as his fast feet if he is to progress. Especially after the last few to come through Spearing, Flanagan, Stirling and Ibe all seemed to be well able to cope with the physical side.

I only saw the first half btw.

I think the strength side of things will come with experience mate, you've got to remember that a lot of them have never played under those conditions before.  Even Tex who at nearly 23 has only had a handful of competitive games against men whilst at Brighton but luckily for us JĂźrgen will work with them rather than discard them without trying.

Not all will make it obviously but at least we've swelled the squad with some new qualities without spending.
      reddebs
      • "LFC Hipster"
      • Forum Legend - Paisley

• 17,980 posts | 2264 
      Reply #625: Jan 09, 2016 03:07:52 pm
      Spot on Debs and it's the same anywhere you watch kids play. This is magnified when you take those kids and pitch them in against men, and then stick them on a pitch which is about as bad as they'll ever play on. The game last night bore no resemblence to the football these lads are used to, but most of them came through with flying colours. The naiivety was annoying at times but great to see really, and such things as their reluctance to cross it in for a striker who had it in his capability to win the game for them on his own is just a lack of experience. Equally, step overs, flicks and dinks don't work on cabbage patches and lesser players love it when you try that stuff on poor surfaces, but they'll learn that too.

Watching it you almost had to put the actual match to one side to get a true read on the players potential, and that's why I had Teixera down as MOM. He was clearly in my eyes the best and most gifted player on the pitch, while Kent has obvious potential and Smith being such a good athlete will make the grade as well. For many of the others a career at Wolves, Tranmere, Bolton and Birmingham beckons, along with the ignominity of having to get by on only about 20K a week. Who'd be a footballer eh?

Yeah I don't think many of them will end up in non league like Morgan Ngoo etc Mick, they're too talented for that.
      dunlop liddell shankly
      • 2009 LFC quiz champion (now to be known as "Kate")
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 20,954 posts | 3334 
      Reply #626: Jan 09, 2016 03:41:55 pm
      And the magic of the FA Cup is dead isn't it? Yesterday was a typical FA Cup third round banana skin tie. Small club with nothing to lose going up against Exeter.

Seriously though, given the side we put out I don't think it would of been that big a shock had we lost. Exeter probably had a more experienced side than we did, and a side that has played together more than our boys had. So to do dig out a draw showed some level of character (to quote Brendan). I don't think anybody stood out for the right reasons but we're still in the competition and potentially still on our way to Wembley.

Bogdan - with the scrutiny our keepers are coming under with every passing games, mistakes like the one Adam made yesterday are highlighted even more. If that had happened against any other keeper (other than Mignolet) it'd be all about the quality of the corner, given our problems it's made a bigger deal of. I think we all know The Bog isn't up to the standard of Liverpool Football Club.

Randall - the young lad has failed to really impress on the odd occasion he has played but at the same time shown glimpses that there is a player in there somewhere. Defensively he seems unaware of what's around him, his positional play hasn't been up to scratch and he fails to stop the ball getting into the box far too often. But, as I said there has been the odd glimpse. He's shown anticipation in reading a pass from the opposition and he throws in well, which is always a plus for me.

Ilori - who has been hailed since the day we bought him as some future star. I didn't realise people meant Freddie Starr. What I found worse was the just walking about, no heart or commitment. First game for however long or not, you have to put effort in. The other day against Stoke, Kolo Toure was on one leg and still giving his all for the cause, Ilori just looked like he gave up.

Enrique - well we all know he's sh*t.

Smith - will undoubtedly get man of the match and probably rightfully so. He wasn't outstanding but was solid, which probably was the best of the lot. Some good crosses, which very rarely had anybody attacking them. Defensively, he was found out slightly, Exeter had some success out there. And another full back who just lets the ball come into the box too easily. But, what a goal! On the volley, no time to react, just a quality strike. He's the one player who must be pushing for a start against Arsenal.

Kent - looked nice and tidy when he did get in the game. Some really nice touches, some promising runs. Imagine that eh, a Liverpool player running with the ball. Just in the final third, lacked that extra bit of skill and guile that we needed. I didn't even know he was still on the pitch for the second half until he got brought off. He is one though I'd be tempted to give a bit more game time to though.

Brannagan - very quiet for the most part but when he did get involved, he looked extremely promising. Some quality passes, nice link up play and was involved in both halves of the pitch - the way a proper central midfielder should be. Like I said though, was too quiet for too many periods of the match and was beaten too easily for their second.

Stewart - deserves his share of the praise for last night because he done a lot of the unnoticed work. Kept it nice and tidy, some telling passes and got stuck in there. During his brief run in pre-season he was playing at right back but he looked much more comfortable in the middle of the park.

Teixeira - too critical to say he reminded me of Lallana? Looked incapable of just playing a simple pass, had to do a step over or drag back before knocking it off. Thankfully, for the majority of the first half it came off. Second half he was a lot quieter. Some of his play looked quality though and he was always looking to get in and around the front two, which is a nice sight.

Sinclair - scored a very well taken, poachers finish. He got brought off. There wasn't much else in between.

Benteke - again failed to really impress, didn't hold the ball up as well as we needed. Didn't attack the ball the way he should be. If anything, he looked like he was sulking. Not good enough yesterday.

Chirivella - showed a lot of nothing. Most of what he did failed. Game was just passing him by.

Ojo - looked lively, tried to get the ball in the box at every opportunity. Another who I'd be tempted to give more game to as he's different from our other midfielders who are all the more fancy, intricate passing type. Ojo is more direct, more in the Ibe mould.

Maguire - didn't really do anything, didn't really have any reason to. Shows how hard the injuries are hitting though when you end the game with two left backs at the heart of your defence, following on from midweek where it was two central midfielders back there.

Overall, there was the odd bright spark to feel optimistic that at least one of these kids could make it. Although probably more questions than answers for JĂźrgen on the whole. We're still in the hat though and that's the main thing. If we get through at Anfield and go onto lift our eighth FA Cup in May, nobody is gonna be arsed about this draw.
      s@int
      • Forum Legend - Paisley
      • Started Topic

• 14,987 posts | 2282 
      Reply #627: Jan 09, 2016 04:15:34 pm
      Benteke - again failed to really impress, didn't hold the ball up as well as we needed. Didn't attack the ball the way he should be. If anything, he looked like he was sulking. Not good enough yesterday.

Wouldn't surprise me if he was sulking mate. I suppose he probably felt a little put out being the only first team player stuck in what was in effect a reserve team, especially as he is our only fit first team striker and might expect to be protected and treated as such, which probably came as a blow to his ego.

Sadly performances like yesterday aren't going to change anyone's mind about him. He really needs to start working harder and showing us why we paid such a big fee for him, or he may find the bench more often than the net this season.
      dunlop liddell shankly
      • 2009 LFC quiz champion (now to be known as "Kate")
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 20,954 posts | 3334 
      Reply #628: Jan 09, 2016 05:25:14 pm
      Wouldn't surprise me if he was sulking mate. I suppose he probably felt a little put out being the only first team player stuck in what was in effect a reserve team, especially as he is our only fit first team striker and might expect to be protected and treated as such, which probably came as a blow to his ego.

Sadly performances like yesterday aren't going to change anyone's mind about him. He really needs to start working harder and showing us why we paid such a big fee for him, or he may find the bench more often than the net this season.

I can understand why he would of been sulking mate but it still doesn't sit any easier with me. He should of been grafting his bollocks off yesterday to say to Klopp, I'm too important to be put in this situation again.
      waltonl4
      • Forum Legend - Shankly

• 37,585 posts | 7139 
      Reply #629: Jan 09, 2016 05:54:39 pm
      We should be really pleased with the lads performance last night, a rag tag troup of vitual strangers galvanised by wearing a RED shirt.
      But instead the question of Benteke  rose again. Was he just miffed at being put in this team ? or was he once again shown to be a player who is one dimensional and has to have all the planets aligned before he can shine. I think most of us have seen players come to Anfield and find it difficult Benteke is one of these players. PLayers can have all the ability in the world but if they don't have a personality a strong personality to match then they fail and Christian seems to doubt himself and doubt his reason for being here and no manager can sort that out only he can.
      mcarz
      • Forum Legend - Paisley

• 17,179 posts | 1355 
      Reply #630: Jan 09, 2016 06:38:10 pm
      “Sort it out Klopp…” – Clinton Morrison reveals what Liverpool fans shouted at him

Exeter City striker Clinton Morrison has revealed that some Liverpool fans were very “disappointed” with their young line-up in last night’s FA Cup third round clash at St James Park.

JĂźrgen Klopp made a number of changes to his side last night in their 2-2 draw, as Liverpool faced their third game in a week following the 2-0 defeat against West Ham United in the Premier League last Saturday, and the 1-0 first-leg win over Stoke City in the League Cup semi-final on Tuesday evening.

A lengthy injury list also played a part in the German’s thinking, as he’s without a number of key players at present such as Philippe Coutinho, Daniel Sturridge, Dejan Lovren, Mamadou Sakho and Jordon Ibe.

However, Morrison revealed that some Liverpool fans directed their frustration about the line-up his way at half-time.

Speaking to the Sports Bar on talkSPORT last night, the Exeter striker said: “I don’t think, when we play them at Anfield, he will change the team as much. I think you will see five or six first-teamers back. Jürgen Klopp knows the Liverpool fans won’t accept [a similar performance at home].

“When I was warming up at half-time one of the Liverpool fans shouted out, ‘Oi, Clinton. Tell that Klopp to sort it out. We didn’t come all this way to see this’. I know for a fact there were some disgruntled people there who were disappointed in the team he picked.”

The Reds earned a replay at Anfield after coming from behind twice, adding another game to an already crowded schedule for Klopp’s men, who are back in Premier League action in midweek.

In their 20 league games this term, Liverpool have scored 22 goals and conceded 24, creating 259 chances with an average pass accuracy of 80%.

http://www.squawka.com/news/sort-it-out-klopp-clinton-morrison-reveals-what-liverpool-fans-shouted-at-him/568503

I hope he's just bullshitting. I don't get what he means when he says that we won't accept a similar performance. It was a bunch of kids who have not played much, if any, first team football before. Put in somebody else to partner Ilori and we should be OK.
      RedPuppy
      • Still European.
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 19,250 posts | 2854 
      • Parum Rutilus Canis: Illegitimi non carborundum
      Reply #631: Jan 09, 2016 06:59:15 pm
      “Sort it out Klopp…” – Clinton Morrison reveals what Liverpool fans shouted at him

Exeter City striker Clinton Morrison has revealed that some Liverpool fans were very “disappointed” with their young line-up in last night’s FA Cup third round clash at St James Park.

JĂźrgen Klopp made a number of changes to his side last night in their 2-2 draw, as Liverpool faced their third game in a week following the 2-0 defeat against West Ham United in the Premier League last Saturday, and the 1-0 first-leg win over Stoke City in the League Cup semi-final on Tuesday evening.

A lengthy injury list also played a part in the German’s thinking, as he’s without a number of key players at present such as Philippe Coutinho, Daniel Sturridge, Dejan Lovren, Mamadou Sakho and Jordon Ibe.

However, Morrison revealed that some Liverpool fans directed their frustration about the line-up his way at half-time.

Speaking to the Sports Bar on talkSPORT last night, the Exeter striker said: “I don’t think, when we play them at Anfield, he will change the team as much. I think you will see five or six first-teamers back. Jürgen Klopp knows the Liverpool fans won’t accept [a similar performance at home].

“When I was warming up at half-time one of the Liverpool fans shouted out, ‘Oi, Clinton. Tell that Klopp to sort it out. We didn’t come all this way to see this’. I know for a fact there were some disgruntled people there who were disappointed in the team he picked.”

The Reds earned a replay at Anfield after coming from behind twice, adding another game to an already crowded schedule for Klopp’s men, who are back in Premier League action in midweek.

In their 20 league games this term, Liverpool have scored 22 goals and conceded 24, creating 259 chances with an average pass accuracy of 80%.

http://www.squawka.com/news/sort-it-out-klopp-clinton-morrison-reveals-what-liverpool-fans-shouted-at-him/568503

I hope he's just bullshitting. I don't get what he means when he says that we won't accept a similar performance. It was a bunch of kids who have not played much, if any, first team football before. Put in somebody else to partner Ilori and we should be OK.

I think that is the point, they have not played much together, thus the performance was not ideal.

Thus I imagine he will be working with these players so they know each other.

Remember, some things may be lost in translation.
      bigears
      • Forum Legend - Dalglish

• 6,125 posts | 287 
      • My bird looks great in red
      Reply #632: Jan 09, 2016 07:20:17 pm
      I went for Smith on Motm , he's a decent player and willing to get down and do the job . i was disappointed with Enrique , our most senior  player and didn't give a sh*t out there . Bogdan is woeful , one of the worst goalie's ever to play for LFC . Klopp done well to get those kids playing at such short notice . It's not an ideal situation at present but to pull off a draw under the circumstances will do . Benteke is a waste of time always positioned wrong and his touch is awful .

waltonl4
      • Forum Legend - Shankly

• 37,585 posts | 7139 
      Reply #633: Jan 09, 2016 07:27:52 pm

yeah that really sounds like a scouser doesn't it. I don't know anyone from Liverpool who says anything negative about Klopp . We know where we are as a club and we know we are at a pivotal point in our history and I feel very relaxed whilst JĂźrgen is in charge
      mcarz
      • Forum Legend - Paisley

• 17,179 posts | 1355 
      Reply #634: Jan 09, 2016 08:13:39 pm
      yeah that really sounds like a scouser doesn't it. I don't know anyone from Liverpool who says anything negative about Klopp . We know where we are as a club and we know we are at a pivotal point in our history and I feel very relaxed whilst JĂźrgen is in charge

I agree about being relaxed. I always felt that when Brendan made big decisions there was no method to it at all but with JĂźrgen there is a method, even in the madness (like last night).
      waltonl4
      • Forum Legend - Shankly

• 37,585 posts | 7139 
      Reply #635: Jan 09, 2016 08:20:13 pm
      I agree about being relaxed. I always felt that when Brendan made big decisions there was no method to it at all but with JĂźrgen there is a method, even in the madness (like last night).

when you are comfortable in your skin when you know your abilities match your ambition you can sleep at nights and I think JĂźrgen sleeps very well. I wouldn't swap this man for any other manager
      mcarz
      • Forum Legend - Paisley

• 17,179 posts | 1355 
      Reply #636: Jan 09, 2016 08:24:59 pm
      when you are comfortable in your skin when you know your abilities match your ambition you can sleep at nights and I think JĂźrgen sleeps very well. I wouldn't swap this man for any other manager

Neither would I. His charisma and personality are worth his pay check alone :D
      rossyred
      • Forum Legend - Dalglish

• 9,090 posts | 1631 
      Reply #637: Jan 09, 2016 08:42:24 pm
      Wouldn't take any notice off that Fxxkwit of a man , probably still embarassed after he made a complete txxt of himself when he was at Palace when he gobbed off to media and was later seen trying to remove his foot from his large mouth
      Lio Varadkar
      • Forum Emlyn Hughes

• 785 posts | 66 
      Reply #638: Jan 09, 2016 08:45:25 pm
      Voted Brannagan for MOTM, very cultured midfielder. Needs to hit a gym tho, looks a boy in a mans game. His liitle feint before cross with his left foot in the 2nd half was extraordinary.

Not sure why Smith got so much plaudits, the first goal was his mistake, his defensive positioning was questionable to say the least  and a cross erratic. His energy and well taken goal probably swayed peoples opinion but I´ll have to watch it again to see his good points in the game.
      lfc across the water
      • Needs a Klopp hug...Rafa's Number 1 fan...VAR has no faults Promoter
      • Forum Legend - Fagan

• 3,833 posts | 701 
      Reply #639: Jan 09, 2016 11:57:50 pm
      Didn't enjoy the game. Rarely do enjoy the first round of the Cup. Either we get home draws with minimal coverage, or we get away draws in small stadiums on poor pitches; tense games where it's the opposition's cup final with all the attention  on them, regardless of the scoreline. This one was the latter. But the pitch was still better than Watford and Sion, which puts those in perspective.

They are adults of course, but I wouldn't be too critical of the players in general. Three were making debuts, which must be a record in one game. The exception been Chiravella, whose only contribution was to lose possession at every opportunity. Then again, he will probably improve in time. Benteke had one chance and should have scored. As a forward, it can take a long time for one chance to come, and it really has to be taken. Sinclair showed him how it's done.

Klopp at the end, looked like the Tour Of England we've been on for the past 2 weeks has taken it's toll on him. With 4 of the next 5 games at home, possibly 5 of 6, he should find it less demanding on the squad, and we should be ok in the replay. But he's found the constant football at this time of year difficult to take. Hopefully he'll get more used to it over the coming years, and better able to deal with it. Because one thing is guaranteed, in that no matter how much he complains about it, he won't be changing it, so he better get used to it.
      fields of anny rd
      • Forum Legend - Paisley

• 17,663 posts | 1961 
      Reply #640: Jan 10, 2016 02:24:10 pm
      Just clocked on that last fa cup campaign it was my town Warrington that knocked these out in round 1. In the return leg we will beat them comfortably.
      Thames Valley Red
      • Forum Youth Player

• 14 posts | 19 
      Reply #641: Jan 10, 2016 04:34:24 pm
      As an Exeter fan I have to say the away fans were fairly solid and educated in their football knowledge - as you would expect. I did not hear any anti_Klopp stuff at all. As for Warrington away we were poor that night. One player was playing for a transfer - Grimes and achieved it. The rest were seriously below par. The Warrington supporters were really up for it as well. We will have a stronger team out next time as well, we have injuries as well. We are a passing team so will adore the carpet. We lost the games prior to Friday due to the weather and flooding. I am sure you will play a stronger team, but keep a few U21s in the game - please.

Up the City and Come on you REDS!

TVR

Warrington had 30% pocession and we had 22 shots!
      « Last Edit: Jan 10, 2016 05:58:57 pm by Thames Valley Red »
      Pear
      • Forum Legend - Benitez

• 1,275 posts | 79 
      • Me, i always tell the truth, even when i lie.
      Reply #642: Jan 10, 2016 06:06:46 pm
      Hey i did not watched the game,how did those kids played?Anyone noticed a talent on the pitch?
      diegoLFC07
      • Forum Youth Player

• 18 posts |
      Reply #643: Jan 10, 2016 08:45:30 pm
      Hey i did not watched the game,how did those kids played?Anyone noticed a talent on the pitch?
      Ryan Kent, Brad Smith, Sheyi Ojo, and Cameron Brannagan were notches above.

Quick Reply