Trending Topics

Next match: LFC v Brighton [Premier League] Sun 31st Mar @ 2:00 pm
      Anfield

Today is the 28th of March and on this date LFC's match record is P26 W11 D3 L12

Steven Caulker (Former Loanee)

Read 32039 times
      KopiteLuke
      • Forum Legend - Shankly

• 21,056 posts | 3784 
      Re: Steven Caulker -Player thread
      Reply #23: Jan 12, 2016 01:44:10 pm
      Decent and very sensible signing.

But once again, we can now certainly confirm that £7 million has been thrown down the drain regarding Illori - yet another shocking waste of money in addition to various squad players signed over the last couple of years.

Another f**k up from the incompetent transfer committee and evidence of a failed transfer strategy for sure. Please make it stop.

The only thing I'd say in the defence of this is Brendan once said "the £7m reported for Ilori is a long way off what we paid" or something like that.

The rest I wholeheartedly agree with.

Welcome to the club Steven, may your short stay be a successful one and allow Jürgen to sign a true world class player in the summer.
      reddebs
      • "LFC Hipster"
      • Forum Legend - Paisley

• 17,980 posts | 2264 
      Reply #24: Jan 12, 2016 01:47:50 pm
      Decent and very sensible signing.

But once again, we can now certainly confirm that £7 million has been thrown down the drain regarding Illori - yet another shocking waste of money in addition to various squad players signed over the last couple of years.

Another f**k up from the incompetent transfer committee and evidence of a failed transfer strategy for sure. Please make it stop.

Deary me mate, it says nothing of the sort.  Ilori isn't fit, he's played 2 u21s games since the summer, he barely lasted 45 minutes on Friday, Jesus give the lad a chance!
      Red Barrovian
      • Forum Legend - Fagan

• 4,356 posts | 77 
      Reply #25: Jan 12, 2016 01:49:17 pm
      He's completely rubbish. Like really really bad.

But anyway, welcome to the club Steven and hope you prove me wildly wrong.
      HScRed1
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 20,172 posts | 4401 
      Reply #26: Jan 12, 2016 01:52:34 pm
      Don't worry he has already scored for us     :lmao:

https://twitter.com/lfcfanscorner/status/686899899368095744
      waltonl4
      • Forum Legend - Shankly

• 37,585 posts | 7139 
      Reply #27: Jan 12, 2016 01:55:06 pm

top man he has an eye for goal then.
      Tayls
      • Forum Legend - Dalglish

• 5,378 posts | 510 
      Reply #28: Jan 12, 2016 01:58:17 pm
      Welcome to the club Steven. Haven't watched enough of him to have an opinion but I get the feeling we needed a player willing to fight it out when all our CBs are fit again. It wasn't the time to bring in a permanent signing, and the likes of Subotic are not available for loans.

I think this is just a stop gap till we get Matip on a free in the summer.

Obviously Caulker was the best our scouts could find out of who was available and if Klopp gave it the green light I'm happy.
      Muzzman1969
      • Forum Ian Callaghan

• 919 posts | 41 
      Reply #29: Jan 12, 2016 02:03:45 pm
      We are not in a position to be too choosy at the moment, and we needed some cover.  Welcome and I hope he is ready for the bench tomorrow.
      marska43
      • Forum Matt Busby

• 132 posts | 14 
      Reply #30: Jan 12, 2016 02:03:58 pm
      Welcome Steven! I don't mind this loan signing. We are in a very unpredictable injury crisis, in which he will provide a lifeline for the time being. Best case scenario, he steps in to play a few games until Sakho, Lovren and Skrtel regain their fitness and then he is left out to dry. Why spend money on a player who is mediocre at best (as is Caulker) and will only fall third-fourth choice behind our already existing CB's? Save the money now, and then spend on the exact guy we want in the summer. And if Caulker surprises and does very well, we can sign him.
      reddebs
      • "LFC Hipster"
      • Forum Legend - Paisley

• 17,980 posts | 2264 
      Reply #31: Jan 12, 2016 02:10:05 pm
      Just checked his wiki page and I see he played for Southampton in a Europa qualifier last summer, does that mean he's cup tied or don't the qualifiers count?

Anybody know the rules?
      Binomial
      • Forum Ian Callaghan

• 885 posts | 37 
      • Doing things over and expecting different results
      Reply #32: Jan 12, 2016 02:10:30 pm
      what actually convinced klopp he'd be a good signing? did the TC show him youtube clips of him when he was at swansea 4 years ago?
      KopiteLuke
      • Forum Legend - Shankly

• 21,056 posts | 3784 
      Reply #33: Jan 12, 2016 02:16:39 pm
      top man he has an eye for goal then.

Tidy finish that, Raheem fairly pinged it at him, did well to cushion it with the outside of the boot, natural :p
      crouchinho
      • Forum Legend - Shankly

• 42,508 posts | 2620 
      • TU TA LOUCO? FILHO DA PUTA!
      Reply #34: Jan 12, 2016 02:17:31 pm
      Only makes sense if no one was available - and to be honest, no good defender is being linked with anyone right now so the market looks barren dry - so to get a short term option in that is English and knows the league seems logical.

Good luck to him. Showed promise early in his career but looked sh*te ever since. Fingers crossed Klopp slaps him back to his senses. 
      PurpleMonkey
      • Forum Legend - Paisley

• 10,000 posts | 1991 
      Reply #35: Jan 12, 2016 02:19:23 pm
      Would have preferred Can or Ilori as our CB covers with us playing one of the kids in midfield, but whatever. Good luck to Caulker, hope he proves the majority of us wrong.
      reddebs
      • "LFC Hipster"
      • Forum Legend - Paisley

• 17,980 posts | 2264 
      Reply #36: Jan 12, 2016 02:20:50 pm
      what actually convinced klopp he'd be a good signing? did the TC show him youtube clips of him when he was at swansea 4 years ago?

You do our Manager a huge disservice with those comments mate. 
      Beerbelly
      • Banned

• 6,983 posts | 2054 
      Reply #37: Jan 12, 2016 02:21:04 pm
      Judging by peoples' posts he's no Franco Baresi then.

Oh well.

wait, watch & hope.
      waltonl4
      • Forum Legend - Shankly

• 37,585 posts | 7139 
      Reply #38: Jan 12, 2016 02:32:01 pm
      Judging by peoples' posts he's no Franco Baresi then.

Oh well.

wait, watch & hope.

I think "hope" is the key word mate and I am concerned that people are now happy for us to sign players "hoping" they will be ok.
      racerx34
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 33,581 posts | 3826 
      • THE SALT IN THE SOUP
      Reply #39: Jan 12, 2016 02:33:09 pm
      Well hopefully that means I never have to watch Enrique play CB ever again,
      or anywhere for that matter.
      waltonl4
      • Forum Legend - Shankly

• 37,585 posts | 7139 
      Reply #40: Jan 12, 2016 02:37:04 pm
      Well hopefully that means I never have to watch Enrique play CB ever again,
      or anywhere for that matter.

what was that Sean Connery Bond film "never say never again"?.
      bigmick
      • Forum Legend - Paisley

• 10,078 posts | 2767 
      Reply #41: Jan 12, 2016 02:48:30 pm
      I think "hope" is the key word mate and I am concerned that people are now happy for us to sign players "hoping" they will be ok.

"People" obviously including Jürgen as he said quite clearly that he has the last word on transfers, so he must be "happy" with this one. Are you "concerned" about Jürgen, or just the people that trust him enough not to have a fit that he's signed Steven Caulker?   
      Munch101
      • Forum Roger Hunt

• 495 posts | 80 
      Reply #42: Jan 12, 2016 02:53:45 pm
      If he's come to be cover while others are injured with an option for a cheap transfer i'll be happy. I think he will be good 3rd or 4th choice but nothing more.
      You must remember it was either Caulker or Lovren being eyed up by us for £20Mil.
      Looks like we got the better of the 2 so if we can get caulker for next to nout we'll be laughing
      bigmick
      • Forum Legend - Paisley

• 10,078 posts | 2767 
      Reply #43: Jan 12, 2016 02:54:42 pm
      If he's come to be cover while others are injured with an option for a cheap transfer i'll be happy. I think he will be good 3rd or 4th choice but nothing more.
      You must remember it was either Caulker or Lovren being eyed up by us for £20Mil.
      Looks like we got the better of the 2 so if we can get caulker for next to nout we'll be laughing

The last thing we need is someone coming in here spouting common sense on this slow news day!
      srslfc
      • Forum Legend - Shankly

• 32,111 posts | 4876 
      Reply #44: Jan 12, 2016 02:59:48 pm

Jürgen said he has first and last say on transfers.

He's here because the manager gave it the green light.

Probably because be lives in the real world and knows managing a football club isn't like selecting a side on Fifa 16.
      Frankly, Mr Shankly
      Reply #45: Jan 12, 2016 03:05:34 pm
      Weren't we actually on the verge of a full blown transfer with this guy when he was at Cardiff a couple of years back? We were probably going to spend £18m on him if the TC had their way so it's good to see him relegated to short term loan option. It is kind of sensible as an emergency loan deal (when was the last one - Paul Jones in as GK for a couple of matches back in 2004?). A slow, has been Enrique who's not played for over a year playing at centre back is NEVER tolerable! Don't expect to be seeing him at the club in the long run. 

Quick Reply