Trending Topics

Next match: LFC v Brighton [Premier League] Sun 31st Mar @ 2:00 pm
      Anfield

Today is the 29th of March and on this date LFC's match record is P24 W11 D6 L7

Steven Caulker (Former Loanee)

Read 32074 times
      bigmick
      • Forum Legend - Paisley

• 10,078 posts | 2767 
      Re: Steven Caulker -Player thread
      Reply #46: Jan 12, 2016 03:06:21 pm
      Jürgen said he has first and last say on transfers.

He's here because the manager gave it the green light.

Probably because be lives in the real world and knows managing a football club isn't like selecting a side on Fifa 16.

Who would have thunk it Si? The number of players who are actually available, who teams are actually prepared to let go in January are severely limited? Who would have thunk that the owners (or whoever is advising them) would say "hang on, you've got Sakho, Lovren and Skrtel who would get in most Premiership teams (nearly all in fact, all in the case of Lovren) as well as this Matip bloke arriving at the end of the season". Who would have thought that they'd say to the committee/Jürgen "best you find someone who we don't have to pay a fee for". It's incredible really.   

Diego LFC
      • Forum Legend - Paisley

• 19,326 posts | 2823 
      • Sempre Liverpool
      Reply #47: Jan 12, 2016 03:06:25 pm
      clint_call01
      • King Live Match Starter
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 11,660 posts | 3670 
      • Ynwa... lfc till I die !
      Reply #48: Jan 12, 2016 03:09:14 pm
      Welcome Caulker, we need good cover and he can do it. Hope, he is off a flyer and can compete for his place after the others are back.
      Munch101
      • Forum Roger Hunt

• 495 posts | 80 
      Reply #49: Jan 12, 2016 03:11:59 pm
      Weren't we actually on the verge of a full blown transfer with this guy when he was at Cardiff a couple of years back? We were probably going to spend £18m on him if the TC had their way so it's good to see him relegated to short term loan option. It is kind of sensible as an emergency loan deal (when was the last one - Paul Jones in as GK for a couple of matches back in 2004?). A slow, has been Enrique who's not played for over a year playing at centre back is NEVER tolerable! Don't expect to be seeing him at the club in the long run.

Yeah as I said a few posts up it was between him and Lovren....funnily enough it seems Lovren was the better of the 2!
      what-a-hit-son
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • Started Topic
      • 16,466 posts | 4816 
      • t: @MrPrice1979 i: @klmprice101518
      Reply #50: Jan 12, 2016 03:17:40 pm
      Only makes sense if no one was available - and to be honest, no good defender is being linked with anyone right now so the market looks barren dry - so to get a short term option in that is English and knows the league seems logical.

Good luck to him. Showed promise early in his career but looked sh*te ever since. Fingers crossed Klopp slaps him back to his senses. 

Pretty much where I'm at with this one Crouch.
      PastorGeek
      • Not Actual Geek
      • Forum Legend - Benitez

• 2,475 posts | 701 
      Reply #51: Jan 12, 2016 03:25:05 pm
      couple of concerns
      1. We have a transfer committee and multiple full time scouts.  Surely there must be more than 1 CB's that we have 'on the books' that we are looking at that we could have made a long term bid for.
      2. If we didn't do that what are they doing? why wouldn't we do that? do we not have the money?

on the plus side
      hes only 24, which im surprised about seems like he's been around forever
      which means he could possibly improve. If we were signing a 28/29 year old at his current level i'd be more pissed
      reddebs
      • "LFC Hipster"
      • Forum Legend - Paisley

• 17,980 posts | 2264 
      Reply #52: Jan 12, 2016 03:32:49 pm
      couple of concerns
      1. We have a transfer committee and multiple full time scouts.  Surely there must be more than 1 CB's that we have 'on the books' that we are looking at that we could have made a long term bid for.
      2. If we didn't do that what are they doing? why wouldn't we do that? do we not have the money?

on the plus side
      hes only 24, which im surprised about seems like he's been around forever
      which means he could possibly improve. If we were signing a 28/29 year old at his current level i'd be more pissed

We have identified a CB for the long term but his club wouldn't let him leave in January mate.
      shabbadoo
      • Forum Legend - Shankly

• 29,420 posts | 4581 
      Reply #53: Jan 12, 2016 03:33:31 pm
      I think Caulker may surprise 1 or 2 of us, some players crumble or rise playing for LFC, I think Caulker has enough around him to settle pretty quickly especially the old Southampton boys.

racerx34
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 33,581 posts | 3826 
      • THE SALT IN THE SOUP
      Reply #54: Jan 12, 2016 03:33:36 pm
      We have identified a CB for the long term but his club wouldn't let him leave in January mate.

Klopp in October: "You have to look at which players are reachable and not dream of this player or that player..."
      brezipool
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 9,459 posts | 1735 
      • Mon the Red Machine !
      Reply #55: Jan 12, 2016 03:35:04 pm
      Without even seeing him recently I'd hazard a guess he's a hell of a lot better than Jose, Can and Lucas at CB and more experienced than Ilori.

If we'd spent a fortune on him and given him a 5 year contract I'd be more concerned.

Short term loan deal is a good move.

SPOT ON.

seen way too much negativity on forums and twitter already. christs sake calm down people, its a short term loan, its win win, for all round, we need an extra CB, and he need's a break.

Never know could work out a brilliant deal all round.
      bmck
      • Forum Legend - Dalglish

• 9,404 posts | 1611 
      • YNWA
      Reply #56: Jan 12, 2016 03:35:12 pm

... and don't let the door hit you on the way out :)

Well, whatever potential he has, hope he shows it, and whatever sh*t form he's had, hope he leaves it behind

Just please don't turn into the Bogdan of the back four :f_bluelight:
      reddebs
      • "LFC Hipster"
      • Forum Legend - Paisley

• 17,980 posts | 2264 
      Reply #57: Jan 12, 2016 03:37:40 pm
      Klopp in October: "You have to look at which players are reachable and not dream of this player or that player..."

Exactly mate.  We tried to get Subotic on loan, no joy.  We tried to get Matip earlier than summer but his club said no. 

I went to bed last night without this even being a figment of our imagination, wake up this morning and he's signed, sealed, delivered and raring to go for tomorrows game. 

Way to go Liverpool for sorting out an immediate need in less than 24 hours.
      TheRedMosquito
      • Forum Legend - Paisley

• 12,201 posts | 633 
      • Elmore James got nothin' on this baby!
      Reply #58: Jan 12, 2016 04:10:03 pm
      Wow, didn't see this one coming at all. FWIW, Caulker did look pretty solid a few years ago but has since seemed to buckle under any pressure or hype and become a bit of a calamity. I reckon he'll be a decent 3rd/4th choice CB for the time being.

Also, shout out to all the people pointing out the dry market for CBs so far. It doesn't seem like anyone is signing them, so our options may have been severely limited.
      what-a-hit-son
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • Started Topic
      • 16,466 posts | 4816 
      • t: @MrPrice1979 i: @klmprice101518
      Reply #59: Jan 12, 2016 04:17:31 pm
      Paul Joyce is flying with this one today.

https://twitter.com/pjoyceexpress/status/686940795237232640
      mcarz
      • Forum Legend - Paisley

• 17,179 posts | 1355 
      Reply #60: Jan 12, 2016 04:20:09 pm
      Wow, didn't see this one coming at all. FWIW, Caulker did look pretty solid a few years ago but has since seemed to buckle under any pressure or hype and become a bit of a calamity. I reckon he'll be a decent 3rd/4th choice CB for the time being.

Also, shout out to all the people pointing out the dry market for CBs so far. It doesn't seem like anyone is signing them, so our options may have been severely limited.

True mate. At first I wasn't happy with the idea of us signing him but I've since come to understand the situation. It's either Caulker or Enrique/Lucas and we need Lucas at the base of the midfield.

Welcome to the club Steven, fingers crossed you play well and help to win us some points.

Ribapuru
      • Banned

• 10,843 posts | 1371 
      Re: Steven Caulker Player Thread
      Reply #61: Jan 12, 2016 05:10:08 pm
      Caulker is decent. He put in respectable performances for team gb in olympics  and stopped Suarez agsinst Uraguay in a 1-0 win. He played alongside Sturridge and Allen.
      Redangel

• 8,084 posts | 966 
      Reply #62: Jan 12, 2016 05:30:54 pm
      Don't know too much about him, but what I read didn't fill me with confidence. However he is now a Liverpool player 'til the end of the season, so, welcome Steven, just give us 100% don't rock the boat, and grasp this opportunity with both hands, and we'll back you all the way!
      Son Of A Gun

• 5,187 posts | 1269 
      Reply #63: Jan 12, 2016 05:32:14 pm
      That said, it does seem a bit like a committee signing - Andy Hunter and co know mediocrity very well, and as already stated on here, seem intent on bringing the club down to their Sunday League level. This may sound completely irrational, but if it is on the committee's recommendation, then this is going to be a disaster.
      Ribapuru
      • Banned

• 10,843 posts | 1371 
      Reply #64: Jan 12, 2016 05:38:11 pm
      I doubt this is a signing for league games. Possibly for the FA cup as well as Ward.
      Rush
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 9,455 posts | 1478 
      • "If you are second, you are nothing."
      Reply #65: Jan 12, 2016 05:38:50 pm
      A few things going round my noggin with this one

Klopp wanted him, ok cool, I trust he knows what he's doing

Klopp didn't want him, FSG wanted him, not cool, worried how Klopp might view this 'if' it's true

He was pretty good a few years ago but things haven't worked out too well, yet

This signing seems very similar to the kind of signing we'd expect from the Rodgers/Transfer Committee era. Klopp gets first and last word on new signings? Well, I'm just a bit surprised at this one.

So yes, not sure what to make of this one, but to be honest, I expected more. Perhaps a permanent signing seeing as we've all (more or less) thought that we needed a good first choice centre back. I thought with Klopp in charge we'd start seeing the kinds of signings that would make us all sit up and take notice. If you know what I mean. Caulker might turn out to be brilliant for us, perhaps Klopp knows best. I hope that's the case Feel a little deflated, underwhelmed and I think that's because as I said earlier, this signings seems to have Transfer Committee slapped all over it.
      Compuche
      • Forum Billy Liddell

• 547 posts | 39 
      Reply #66: Jan 12, 2016 05:40:35 pm
      He'll come through AND score goals; I now see an additional aerial threat for attacking set pieces.
      Lio Varadkar
      • Forum Emlyn Hughes

• 785 posts | 66 
      Reply #67: Jan 12, 2016 05:46:31 pm
      Inglethorpe must know a great deal about the lad from their Spurs days.
      Roddenberry
      • Forum Legend - Paisley

• 16,568 posts | 1876 
      Reply #68: Jan 12, 2016 05:51:06 pm
      No comparison to a 'Rodgers' signing, clearly short term because he couldn't get his preferred targets in. It happens, just a shame some have turned it in to a knicker twisting exercise.

Quick Reply