Trending Topics

Next match: Fulham v LFC [Premier League] Sun 21st Apr @ 4:30 pm
      Craven Cottage

Today is the 20th of April and on this date LFC's match record is P31 W17 D7 L7

Steven Caulker (Former Loanee)

Read 32347 times
      BostonScouse
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 715 posts | 106 
      Re: Steven Caulker Player Thread
      Reply #115: Jan 12, 2016 11:27:43 pm
      So you're saying that Jürgen doesn't think Ilori is good enough but he knows that Caulker, who hasn't even played at Southampton, is definitely good enough.

He did play for saints fed, against us in the cup no less.
      federer
      • Needs a Klopp hug
      • Forum Legend - Fagan

• 4,932 posts | 645 
      Reply #116: Jan 12, 2016 11:36:46 pm
      He did play for saints fed, against us in the cup no less.

Oh come on you know what I mean.  For us to even think about a player from a mid-table team being good enough for us, surely he should at the very LEAST be a star on that team, no?  And even THAT isn't a guarantee of success---i.e., Lallana, Lovren, Benteke etc.

So now we're going to even consider players from mid-table teams who make two appearances for them all season?  really?!  you see nothing worrisome about that.

I think I'm fighting a losing battle here.  Everyone loves this deal.  Yeah, woohoo, Steven Caulker, come save us. 

Brendan Rodgers really did destroy our expectations as supporters.  I don't know how we're going to recover from it.  People lining up to perform fellatio on Steven Caulker for f**k's sake.
      bigears
      • Forum Legend - Dalglish

• 6,125 posts | 287 
      • My bird looks great in red
      Reply #117: Jan 12, 2016 11:53:40 pm
      well it's a fair question.  Why did we bring back Ilori if we're just going to go out and bring in Caulker?  Ilori has played literally one game for us.  Sakho is fit.  So we'd only have one non-regular player in the CB pair. 

Why not give Ilori a go against Arsenal? 
      Ilori could hardly run after 60 mins mate , he was absolute sh*te along with Enrique . Give Caulker a chance at least .

mcarz
      • Forum Legend - Paisley

• 17,179 posts | 1355 
      Reply #118: Jan 12, 2016 11:57:42 pm
      "moaning for moaning's sake."  You act like this is some sort of perfect deal, with no downside whatsoever, that is so flawless that if anyone criticizes it, they must be moaning just to have a moan.

He's rubbish, he couldn't cut it at Spurs, he got relegated with both Cardiff and QPR, he couldn't even get a game at Saints.  On top of that we have a top young CB in Ilori who hasn't even gotten a chance to show yet what he's worth.

There are all sorts of reasons why this is a bad deal.

No offence Fed but first you say Ilori has only played one game and then you say he's a top young centre back. One game isn't exactly enough to judge somebody of his age from.

It's a few months of a loan deal, he won't be signing for us permanently. Calm down mate.
      federer
      • Needs a Klopp hug
      • Forum Legend - Fagan

• 4,932 posts | 645 
      Reply #119: Jan 12, 2016 11:58:45 pm
      What sort of message do you think this sends to Coutinho?  Barca are batting their eyelashes at him, he could play with Suarez and Messi, etc.

And to show him our ambition, we go and sign... Steven Caulker.
      bigears
      • Forum Legend - Dalglish

• 6,125 posts | 287 
      • My bird looks great in red
      Reply #120: Jan 13, 2016 12:07:33 am
      What sort of message do you think this sends to Coutinho?  Barca are batting their eyelashes at him, he could play with Suarez and Messi, etc.

We should have signed that serbian fecker Stefan Kalker for 25 mil instead .

AussieRed
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 20,695 posts | 6696 
      • You'll Never Walk Alone
      Reply #121: Jan 13, 2016 01:37:08 am
      I'm trusting the Boss' judgement on this.

https://www.facebook.com/AustraliaLFC/videos/578457508976777/

crouchinho
      • Forum Legend - Shankly

• 42,508 posts | 2620 
      • TU TA LOUCO? FILHO DA PUTA!
      Reply #122: Jan 13, 2016 02:49:19 am

If Coutinho has half a brain and a pair of eyes he'd see first-hand his teammates are lying in the treatment table alongside him and a situation has arisen where we need more cover. How many clubs start the season with 5 CBs and have to bring one lad back from a loan and sign another by January just to fill a side? We're fu**ed right now.

Caulker is no world beater but who the F**k are we going to sign? No one is available. Even lads with 6 months on their contract aren't allowed to leave their clubs.

As long as Jürgen gets who he wants or who he thinks is the best option then that's what the club needs to do.
      what-a-hit-son
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • Started Topic
      • 16,475 posts | 4821 
      • t: @MrPrice1979 i: @klmprice101518
      Reply #123: Jan 13, 2016 03:01:01 am
      Fed, I can't see anybody pulling the head off it about this deal but I do see people understanding it for what it is. Chill.your beans.

https://twitter.com/StevenCaulker04/status/687060640297566209
      Roddenberry
      • Forum Legend - Paisley

• 16,568 posts | 1876 
      Reply #124: Jan 13, 2016 05:20:15 am
      If Coutinho has half a brain and a pair of eyes

That's an ask, that's half and a pair more than Fed. ;D
      DaktionLFC
      • Forum Legend - Benitez

• 1,084 posts | 84 
      Reply #125: Jan 13, 2016 05:33:27 am
      at face value this might be a odd deal but if you look deeper this is why i like it

1) our defense core is plagued with injuries. we need bodies

2) we do have a ton of defense already so we technically dont want to add more permanent players

3) he has pl experience.  has played vs arsenal and others before so he at least knows what to expect

4) even with sakho and others starting to return. if one of them gets reinjured because that seems to happen alot this year, we have caulker

5) ilori will benefit from caulker. you do not drop an unfit, not ready player to play vs arsenal, he will be toast or exploited. plus ilori imo needs to bulk up a bit

6) risk is low as its a loan. he might be the best suited in the market atm. if we sit on it, and the window passes and we find ourselves in the same situation like we were in vs exeter but this time fighting for forth place, we wouldve wished we signed caulker
      crouchinho
      • Forum Legend - Shankly

• 42,508 posts | 2620 
      • TU TA LOUCO? FILHO DA PUTA!
      Reply #126: Jan 13, 2016 05:52:22 am
      6) risk is low as its a loan. he might be the best suited in the market atm. if we sit on it, and the window passes and we find ourselves in the same situation like we were in vs exeter but this time fighting for forth place, we wouldve wished we signed caulker

Couldn't agree more.

Could be worse. United have Danny Blind and Ashley Young playing in their defence :D
      GMM
      • Forum Erik Meijer

• 31 posts |
      Reply #127: Jan 13, 2016 06:34:55 am
      William Gallas had once said about Steven that he'd go on to become one of the top defenders in England. Now lets just hope there's something to that.
      Arab Scouse
      • Forum Legend - Fagan

• 4,164 posts | 829 
      Reply #128: Jan 13, 2016 07:44:53 am
      Sorry but hes sh*te.

I know we're desperate but even so.

Ditto
      Rockafella88
      • Forum John Toshack

• 267 posts | 83 
      Reply #129: Jan 13, 2016 07:57:40 am
      I just hope he can head the ball. We haven't had an defender who can command the air since Hyppia. Could you imagine all these set piece goals conceded with Hyppia in their?
      bigmick
      • Forum Legend - Paisley

• 10,078 posts | 2767 
      Reply #130: Jan 13, 2016 08:03:47 am
      I don't think this lad is sh!te, not at all. Stick him in a sh!te team with a sh!te defence and he looks sh!te I'll give you that, but I'm telling you that applies to nearly everyone. The only member of a defence who gets to shine in a poor side is the goalkeeper, so put any misgivings any of you have after seeing him for QPR to one side for a moment.

Jürgen hit the nail on the head yesterday (as usual). Press teams high and they'll look to play long, you need someone at the back who can head it. That's one of the reasons why Lovren has suddenly blossomed into before he got injured looking like one of the best central defenders in the league, the fella can head it (particularly when it's delievered straight and with no runners, but lets not go there again). In football, one small action has an immediate impact on everything else after it, and Jürgen is spot on to look to plug our glaring deficiency while everyone's got a hamstring injury. Caulker may not be the best, but he certainly isn't the worse either. There'll be a world of difference playing at the back for us and having to deal with a lone striker who is having it punted upto him rather than playing for QPR and having teams flood all over them.

Any defender would have looked bad for QPR, just as all our defenders looked awful in the Suarez nearly won the league season when we flooded six and seven men forward at a time. I hope we've had the sense to insert a "buy" clause in the contract, you never know once Jurgens had time to get inside Caulkers head he might just be alright.

s@int
      • Forum Legend - Paisley

• 14,987 posts | 2282 
      Reply #131: Jan 13, 2016 08:20:41 am
      I don't think this lad is sh!te, not at all. Stick him in a sh!te team with a sh!te defence and he looks sh!te I'll give you that, but I'm telling you that applies to nearly everyone. The only member of a defence who gets to shine in a poor side is the goalkeeper, so put any misgivings any of you have after seeing him for QPR to one side for a moment.

Jürgen hit the nail on the head yesterday (as usual). Press teams high and they'll look to play long, you need someone at the back who can head it. That's one of the reasons why Lovren has suddenly blossomed into before he got injured looking like one of the best central defenders in the league, the fella can head it (particularly when it's delievered straight and with no runners, but lets not go there again). In football, one small action has an immediate impact on everything else after it, and Jürgen is spot on to look to plug our glaring deficiency while everyone's got a hamstring injury. Caulker may not be the best, but he certainly isn't the worse either. There'll be a world of difference playing at the back for us and having to deal with a lone striker who is having it punted upto him rather than playing for QPR and having teams flood all over them.

Any defender would have looked bad for QPR, just as all our defenders looked awful in the Suarez nearly won the league season when we flooded six and seven men forward at a time. I hope we've had the sense to insert a "buy" clause in the contract, you never know once Jurgens had time to get inside Caulkers head he might just be alright.

I agree mate, I don't think he is half as bad as some people think. I don't expect him to stay for longer than his loan period personally, but I think we could have done a lot worse.

As we all know we get slaughtered in the air, at corners , free kicks, like Dracula even simple crosses terrify us , maybe he can help reduce that terror to just a worry or two as he is supposedly good in the air.   
      HamannsTheMan
      • Forum Legend - Fagan

• 3,030 posts | 1973 
      Reply #132: Jan 13, 2016 09:27:32 am

What are you going on about.

Sol Campbell in a sh*te spurs side stood out. Gary Cahill in a relegation battling Bolton stood out. John Stones stands out playing for that sh*te over the road.

I can keep going with similar examples not just the prem but across Europe too. If you're a good defender then you're a good defender. Caulker is complete and utter dog sh*t to put it kindly.
      s@int
      • Forum Legend - Paisley

• 14,987 posts | 2282 
      Reply #133: Jan 13, 2016 09:41:07 am
      What are you going on about.

Sol Campbell in a sh*te spurs side stood out. Gary Cahill in a relegation battling Bolton stood out. John Stones stands out playing for that sh*te over the road.

I can keep going with similar examples not just the prem but across Europe too. If you're a good defender then you're a good defender. Caulker is complete and utter dog sh*t to put it kindly.

As Klopp almost said " I know he's sh*te, but he's the best we could sign who would be available to play against Arsenal" :)
      fishpie
      • Forum Legend - Fagan

• 3,570 posts | 212 
      Reply #134: Jan 13, 2016 10:17:45 am
      Loan deal for a defender who is strong in the air, at one of the worst times I can remember for injuries, especially in defence.
      How can this be a bad thing? If he turns out to be solid then bonus, we can buy him, if not, then see ya l8r.

racerx34
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 33,595 posts | 3839 
      • THE SALT IN THE SOUP
      Reply #135: Jan 13, 2016 10:27:50 am

Already winning headers from a set-piece?
      That'll do.
      HamannsTheMan
      • Forum Legend - Fagan

• 3,030 posts | 1973 
      Reply #136: Jan 13, 2016 10:54:20 am
      Even as an emergency loan deal I cant help but feel we could have done a lot better than Caulker. Regardless to whether we are desperate for a CB or not that doesn't excuse signing a player who in my opinion isn't fit enough to wear the shirt. Why not just give me a shirt then?

I can't deny that I'm really disappointed with this signing but until I see him in a red shirt I suppose I will hold off my judgment or criticism.

I don't buy into the 'he plays for a sh*t team but he will be alongside better players here' argument either. If you take the best player out of each team in the bottom half of the league and assembled a new 11, you would still have a proper sh*te team.

srslfc
      • Forum Legend - Shankly

• 32,145 posts | 4897 
      Reply #137: Jan 13, 2016 11:04:11 am

I'd credit Phil with having enough intelligence not to base a decision on his future on us bringing in a CB on loan as a short term fix when we have most of our senior CB injured.

Get a grip mate.

Quick Reply