Trending Topics

Next match: LFC v Brighton [Premier League] Sun 31st Mar @ 2:00 pm
      Anfield

Today is the 28th of March and on this date LFC's match record is P26 W11 D3 L12

Steven Caulker (Former Loanee)

Read 32043 times
      HamannsTheMan
      • Forum Legend - Fagan

• 3,030 posts | 1973 
      Re: Steven Caulker Player Thread
      Reply #161: Jan 13, 2016 03:46:34 pm
      Everyone going on about how horrible Caulker is. Please enlighten us all to who you think we should be signing at CB in this window. And please, ensure that you are only noting players that are currently available in some form. To say we should sign Hummels is ridiculous because it's quite obvious he hasn't been made available or made any mention of wanting a move.

So I'm all ears........

It turns into a football manager thread then though doesn't it and any suggestions will obviously get shot down by you as unrealistic or they aren't available.

Do you honestly think Caulker is the best option available?
      s@int
      • Forum Legend - Paisley

• 14,987 posts | 2282 
      Reply #162: Jan 13, 2016 03:47:13 pm
      Everyone going on about how horrible Caulker is. Please enlighten us all to who you think we should be signing at CB in this window. And please, ensure that you are only noting players that are currently available in some form. To say we should sign Hummels is ridiculous because it's quite obvious he hasn't been made available or made any mention of wanting a move.

Pretty much what I imagine Jürgen said to the TC. :)

welshred
      • Forum David Johnson

• 218 posts | 128 
      Reply #163: Jan 13, 2016 04:10:15 pm
      Experienced PL player? The only thing Caulker has experienced is relegation  :lmao:

He has more experience than any possible short term alternative. Please stop with the petulance and pedantry. It doesn't make you look smart and you're making a fool of yourself. Which option would you prefer:

a) put a youngster with no experience in the team - great idea - let him get torn a new one by top class strikers and become the scapegoat - i'm sure you reactionary lot would love that as it'd give you more ammunition to whinge
      b) panic buy someone now rather than wait for the right player - a waste of money as proven by Man City who get torn a new one whenever Kompany is out
      c) play someone like Lucas and Can out of position - going to get torn a new one by good attacking players whilst also losing their availability in other areas of the pitch as they cant play in two positions at once.

Pick one of the above - none of those options are as good as getting a player who has played in the Premier League, is match fit and will cost next to nothing whilst moving on at the end of the season. You don't seem able to understand the fact that if the right player isn't available right now to sign permanently, it's better to wait and use a temporary solution for the time being if one is required.

Matip has nothing to do with signing Caulker. This is the first real opportunity to back Klopp in the market and FSG decide to sign Caulker on loan from QPR.

How do you know it doesn't? Maybe the Matip deal was already finalized and that's why Caulker was brought in short term, because Matip wouldn't be joining us until the summer. Just try to process the very thought for a moment. Maybe it sounds too plausible for you but that's your problem, no one else's.

Carrying on, if Caulker was a long term player, why not sign him on a permanent deal? Get real. He is a short term solution to the current problems and in the summer we will have Matip link up with the squad and cement himself a starting position alongside one of the defenders already at our disposal.

You're the one who labelled us a mid table team. You're the one who said 95% of our squad aren't fit enough to wear the shirt. I just said whether that's true or not it is still no excuse to sign a player who clearly isn't good enough for Liverpool. You're suggesting that its ok to sign sh*t players because we already have loads of them.

We have signed him on loan for crying out loud. I really don't know how to explain it to you any better because it's so simple to understand that even my Doberman could probably wrap his head around it. He is a temporary fix. If he wasn't, we'd have signed him on a permanent basis.

We are a mid table team because Rodgers had a similar attitude to you, and rather than wait and sign the right players for his system, he panic bought players on a permanent basis at the wrong time, much like Benteke. No, he just couldn't wait and invest the Suarez funds more wisely and he went out and splashed money on pure mediocrity. Our side now is full of average players because Rodgers filled it up with average players on a permanent basis, Coutinho aside.

The difference between Rodgers and Klopp is that Klopp is willing to wait to get the right player for the team on a permanent basis as opposed to panic buying under pressure and then not utilizing the players he's brought in, which he'd then be criticized for even though the fans wanted signings. Honestly, as a Liverpool fan, to put it bluntly I couldn't care less for your need or desire for instant gratification, I want the right players in and if that means waiting for Klopp to bring them in, then so be it, because I've seen the damage panic buying rubbish can do. It's why we're a mid table club right now.

The ambition amongst our support is at a dangerous new low when fans are actually trying to find positives in signing Steven Caulker on loan.

This coming from the person who would rather us do a Rodgers and splash out in January on another player who is unlikely to be suitable, as opposed to wait until the summer and bring in the right players who fit the system. Yes, of course, lets just do it that way as it's clearly been working over the last several years.

I'm off for the evening. This attitude epitomizes the ridiculous culture of instant gratification in today's world and needing everything now. The level of stupidity on here right now from some is just too damn high.

Patience is bitter, but it's fruit is sweet - Aristotle.

No great thing is suddenly created - Epictetus.

srslfc
      • Forum Legend - Shankly

• 32,111 posts | 4876 
      Reply #164: Jan 13, 2016 04:13:19 pm
      What are you waffling on about at all.

Experienced PL player? The only thing Caulker has experienced is relegation  :lmao:

Matip has nothing to do with signing Caulker. This is the first real opportunity to back Klopp in the market and FSG decide to sign Caulker on loan from QPR.

What are you going on about our squad players for? You're the one who labelled us a mid table team. You're the one who said 95% of our squad aren't fit enough to wear the shirt. I just said whether that's true or not it is still no excuse to sign a player who clearly isn't good enough for Liverpool. You're suggesting that its ok to sign sh*t players because we already have loads of them.

The ambition amongst our support is at a dangerous new low when fans are actually trying to find positives in signing Steven Caulker on loan.

What utter nonsense.

My ambition for the club is as high as ever as if you've read my posts I felt we should be challenging for the title when Jürgen came in.

I do however think rationally and am 100% sure that this signing is in no way an indication of how well FSG will back Jürgen in the market.

Its a short term fix so stop with the melodrama.
      welshred
      • Forum David Johnson

• 218 posts | 128 
      Reply #165: Jan 13, 2016 04:15:22 pm
      What utter nonsense.

My ambition for the club is as high as ever as if you've read my posts I felt we should be challenging for the title when Jürgen came in.

I do however think rationally and am 100% sure that this signing is in no way an indication of how well FSG will back Jürgen in the market.

I personally think that they are showing their complete backing of him by giving him the green light to purchase a temporary solution to our ongoing problems. A lot of owners would tell a manager to make use of what he already has, even if he says what he has available isn't good enough.
      HamannsTheMan
      • Forum Legend - Fagan

• 3,030 posts | 1973 
      Reply #166: Jan 13, 2016 04:29:13 pm
      I personally think that they are showing their complete backing of him by giving him the green light to purchase a temporary solution to our ongoing problems. A lot of owners would tell a manager to make use of what he already has, even if he says what he has available isn't good enough.

Is there something in the water in Wales? Backing him by allowing him to sign steven caulker on loan?  :lmao:

Yeah. I can just see it now. Jürgen marching up to the owners and demanding that deal.  :lmao:
      HamannsTheMan
      • Forum Legend - Fagan

• 3,030 posts | 1973 
      Reply #167: Jan 13, 2016 04:32:59 pm
      What utter nonsense.

The only explanation is that Klopp sees a future for all of Skrtel, Sakho, Lovren and Toure which is why he won't go out and buy somebody now. Unless of course FSG won't back him which is the more likely.

If we spend big money on a centre half in the summer after losing out on CL football this season I'll be pissed. Whoever we sign then we could have just signed now. We shall see.

Magillionare
      • Official LFC Reds Sig Maker. Lives on Sesame Street.
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 14,918 posts | 2381 
      • Hold on a minute, John Wayne hasn't arrived yet.
      Reply #168: Jan 13, 2016 05:06:33 pm
      So much arguing over such a 'meh' deal.
      Tayls
      • Forum Legend - Dalglish

• 5,378 posts | 510 
      Reply #169: Jan 13, 2016 05:08:19 pm
      The only explanation is that Klopp sees a future for all of Skrtel, Sakho, Lovren and Toure which is why he won't go out and buy somebody now. Unless of course FSG won't back him which is the more likely.

If we spend big money on a centre half in the summer after losing out on CL football this season I'll be pissed. Whoever we sign then we could have just signed now. We shall see.

What if the player is only available in the summer? Or better yet available for free!
      heimdall
      • Forum Legend - Paisley

• 13,818 posts | 2724 
      Reply #170: Jan 13, 2016 05:12:39 pm
      Is there something in the water in Wales? Backing him by allowing him to sign steven caulker on loan?  :lmao:

Yeah. I can just see it now. Jürgen marching up to the owners and demanding that deal.  :lmao:

So which top notch CB is available then, can you at least name one who is available for transfer mid season? Of course Caulker is not a long term solution, although how many thought Hyppia would be when he signed, but its a fairly good stop gap solution to ease the injury crisis we are suffering.
      s@int
      • Forum Legend - Paisley

• 14,987 posts | 2282 
      Reply #171: Jan 13, 2016 05:24:26 pm
      So which top notch CB is available then, can you at least name one who is available for transfer mid season? Of course Caulker is not a long term solution, although how many thought Hyppia would be when he signed, but its a fairly good stop gap solution to ease the injury crisis we are suffering.

To be fair we didn't know Caulker was available, but just to name one... Vidic ?

I do agree though mate that Caulker is a good stop gap, but the difference between him and Hyypia is that none of us had ever seen Hyypia play before he came, while most of us have seen Caulker play.
      AZPatriot

• 9,944 posts | 1759 
      Reply #172: Jan 13, 2016 06:07:49 pm

If it is true what is being said (and it seems so) we have a pre-agreement with Matip for this summer as his club will not let him go this window...why would we not want a short term loan to fill the gap considering our injury situation.

Its getting to the point where your posts are looking like just an excuse to argue for the sake of it.
      FL Red
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 31,048 posts | 6294 
      Reply #173: Jan 13, 2016 06:15:20 pm
      It turns into a football manager thread then though doesn't it and any suggestions will obviously get shot down by you as unrealistic or they aren't available.

Do you honestly think Caulker is the best option available?

He is obviously the best option that we don't have to pay a lot for, that can play right away, that knows this league, that can be a throw away when our other players are fit.
      FL Red
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 31,048 posts | 6294 
      Reply #174: Jan 13, 2016 06:16:19 pm
      To be fair we didn't know Caulker was available, but just to name one... Vidic ?

He's way past top notch.
      s@int
      • Forum Legend - Paisley

• 14,987 posts | 2282 
      Reply #175: Jan 13, 2016 06:18:42 pm

I know and that's besides him being an ex manc. He asked for one .... he's one ... just not one we would want. 
      FL Red
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 31,048 posts | 6294 
      Reply #176: Jan 13, 2016 06:23:24 pm
      I know and that's besides him being an ex manc. He asked for one .... he's one ... just not one we would want. 

I just think all of this overreaction about Caulker is ridiculous. It's pretty obvious that had we not had an atomic bomb of injuries at CB, Jürgen would apparently be waiting till summer to bring in a new CB (or two), so why everyone is getting so uptight about an obvious stop gap is beyond me...unless people just aren't happy unless they are bitching.
      s@int
      • Forum Legend - Paisley

• 14,987 posts | 2282 
      Reply #177: Jan 13, 2016 06:31:29 pm
      I just think all of this overreaction about Caulker is ridiculous. It's pretty obvious that had we not had an atomic bomb of injuries at CB, Jürgen would apparently be waiting till summer to bring in a new CB (or two), so why everyone is getting so uptight about an obvious stop gap is beyond me...unless people just aren't happy unless they are bitching.

I think a few are disappointed that we didn't make a statement with Jürgen's first signing, others have seen him play and don't rate him. Personally I can only remember him at QPR and I thought he was pretty good.
      FL Red
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 31,048 posts | 6294 
      Reply #178: Jan 13, 2016 06:36:48 pm
      I think a few are disappointed that we didn't make a statement with Jürgen's first signing, others have seen him play and don't rate him. Personally I can only remember him at QPR and I thought he was pretty good.

Well Klopp's first signing was that kid from Red Star so.......
      s@int
      • Forum Legend - Paisley

• 14,987 posts | 2282 
      Reply #179: Jan 13, 2016 06:38:17 pm
      Well Klopp's first signing was that kid from Red Star so.......

So lets start the moaning off about him ?
      FL Red
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 31,048 posts | 6294 
      Reply #180: Jan 13, 2016 06:39:37 pm
      So lets start the moaning off about him ?

Might as well....although I haven't been in his thread much, maybe folks already did!!
      welshred
      • Forum David Johnson

• 218 posts | 128 
      Reply #181: Jan 13, 2016 07:49:33 pm
      Is there something in the water in Wales?

If there is, then it's likely to be affecting you more than me because Welsh Water supply a large proportion of England and I don't even live in the UK anymore. I'm an expat so it won't be affecting me at all.

:lmao:
      mcarz
      • Forum Legend - Paisley

• 17,179 posts | 1355 
      Reply #182: Jan 13, 2016 10:03:02 pm
      So, the lad comes on for his debut and immediately gets put up front :lmao: I'd love to know what was going on in his head because all defenders must beg to go upfront in situations like that.
      Dadorious

• 9,882 posts | 1545 
      Reply #183: Jan 13, 2016 11:32:27 pm
      Great debut for Steven superb positioning for the 3 touches he had (2 were headers).

Quick Reply