Trending Topics

Next match: Fulham v LFC [Premier League] Sun 21st Apr @ 4:30 pm
      Craven Cottage

Today is the 19th of April and on this date LFC's match record is P32 W19 D8 L5

LFC Reds Poll

Q. LFC Man of the Match?

Simon Mignolet
      0 (0%)
      Nathaniel Clyne
      0 (0%)
      Kolo Toure
      2 (2.7%)
      Mamadou Sakho
      0 (0%)
      Alberto Moreno
      2 (2.7%)
      Jordan Henderson
      12 (16.2%)
      Emre Can
      2 (2.7%)
      James Milner
      2 (2.7%)
      Jordon Ibe
      0 (0%)
      Roberto Firmino
      52 (70.3%)
      Adam Lallana
      1 (1.4%)
      Christian Benteke
      0 (0%)
      Steven Caulker
      0 (0%)
      Joe Allen
      1 (1.4%)

Total Members Voted: 69

Voting closed: Jan 18, 2016 08:03:11 pm

Liverpool 3:3 Arsenal. In game and post match debate..

Read 36721 times
      Beerbelly
      • Banned

• 6,983 posts | 2054 
      Re: Liverpool 3:3 Arsenal. In game and post match debate..
      Reply #828: Jan 14, 2016 11:02:06 am
      That's what Im saying its not all down to Mings the dodgy goals we r letting in. Its the un settled dodgy defence. We have been sh1t at defending since Rafa left let's be honest.

Klopp will sort it out Im sure, and once he does, by fu#k we are gonna smash teams to bits and keep clean sheets.

The future is bright the future is klopp. ;D

Bang on.

If your outfield players cannot defend near post corners, what chance has your keeper got?

Both (keeper & defense) are as bad as each other half the time.
      tomx
      • Forum Legend - Fagan

• 3,280 posts | 235 
      Reply #829: Jan 14, 2016 11:15:11 am

Really shocking positioning from Mignolet...
      Beerbelly
      • Banned

• 6,983 posts | 2054 
      Reply #830: Jan 14, 2016 11:17:55 am

Really shocking positioning from Mignolet...

All keepers position themselves center-to-back of goal when a corner comes in, so as the ball is in front of them. He's possibly off his line too far and therefore would have had more of a chance in getting to the flick. However, the marking and tackling of Girouid was as ineffective as not having a man on the front post.

Klopp obviously doesn't want a man on the front post and this could have easily been prevented.
      s@int
      • Forum Legend - Paisley

• 14,987 posts | 2282 
      Reply #831: Jan 14, 2016 11:23:47 am
      All keepers position themselves center-to-back of goal when a corner comes in, so as the ball is in front of them. He's possibly off his line too far and therefore would have had more of a chance in getting to the flick. However, the marking and tackling of Girouid was as ineffective as not having a man on the front post.

Klopp obviously doesn't want a man on the front post and this could have easily been prevented.

He said recently that he was unhappy with our defending at set pieces, I wonder if taking the man off the post was part of that thinking...if it was it didn't work!

Missed most of the second half as my computer crashed and took me half the night to fix the b***ard.
      what-a-hit-son
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 16,475 posts | 4821 
      • t: @MrPrice1979 i: @klmprice101518
      Reply #832: Jan 14, 2016 11:24:05 am
      I'm going to have to buy a tablet just so I can enjoy and partake the mayhem that is the live match thread. Swapping tabs on the PC always takes me out the game.

Stop threatening us ;)
      Beerbelly
      • Banned

• 6,983 posts | 2054 
      Reply #833: Jan 14, 2016 11:26:53 am
      He said recently that he was unhappy with our defending at set pieces, I wonder if taking the man off the post was part of that thinking...if it was it didn't work!

Did we have one on the post previously then Saint?

Did Arsenal suss this?

It could be a strategic bloomer then from Jürgen.
      what-a-hit-son
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 16,475 posts | 4821 
      Reply #834: Jan 14, 2016 11:29:23 am
      Looking through some of the posts here, I genuinely think that some people should just quit the internet, never mind the forum. Ridiculous amounts of knee jerking after what turned out to be a rather decent result and a good performance.

My opinion? Mignolet needs to go. That's it. Just Mignolet. He's the one holding us back right now.

Lallana, I see a lot of you were saying he did nothing; that your don't know what his role is. His role is to distract, make space and pass. He didn't do that amazingly yesterday, granted, but he usually does.

Res, I strongly disagree mate. I'm not having that a player who occupies the positions that Lallana plays in is there to just distract. He offers us nothing and hasn't all season. He really, really needs to be doing a lot more than he is doing and nobody will make me think any different.
      MIRO
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 12,989 posts | 3124 
      • Trust The Universe
      Reply #835: Jan 14, 2016 11:32:36 am
      Doesn't change the fact that he cost Liverpool a win last night.
      Absolutely terrible and one punch doesn't change that.

Agreed.
      Binomial
      • Forum Ian Callaghan

• 885 posts | 37 
      • Doing things over and expecting different results
      Reply #836: Jan 14, 2016 11:46:04 am
      I actually didnt think mig was all that bad watching it back..only 2 mistakes the whole game is pretty good for him
      srslfc
      • Forum Legend - Shankly

• 32,145 posts | 4897 
      Reply #837: Jan 14, 2016 11:49:34 am
      I'm going to have to buy a tablet just so I can enjoy and partake the mayhem that is the live match thread. Swapping tabs on the PC always takes me out the game.

Many time 'enjoy' isn't the word I'd use for time spent in the match thread.

Grim thread there at times and I tend to swerve it now especially when I'm watching the game.

And if Red puppy's comments are anything to go by it was a bit of a farce in here last night.
      what-a-hit-son
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 16,475 posts | 4821 
      Reply #838: Jan 14, 2016 11:56:50 am
      As did everyone's favourite scapegoat, with a vital punch to clear the ball out late on. If he doesn't get there, it's game over and Allen doesn't get the chance

Am I reading these words? From the guy who jumps at any chance to rip apart Rafa Benitez, and sometimes quite violently? Your making excuses for Simon Mignolet practically saying his punch saved us the game. Not sure how that works but hey, it is you after all so anything is possible I suppose. How about if he does his job properly then there is no need for Joe Allen to have to even equalise.

Mignolet's incapability's will reverberate around the whole team that is out there playing, especially our attacking players. They do their job and then he counters it by not doing his. Yes, some of the defending in front of him was sh*te but there is still a keeper to beat and far more often than not he doesn't do anywhere near enough. We want a goalkeeper that is commanding, confident, strong, has good positioning and can drag you out of the sh*t when the defence lets us down. He doesn't do any. He is a good shot stopper from distance sometimes but that is the minimum requirement of being able to say that you want to become a goalkeeper when your thirteen years old. People trying to make out he is boss because he came out and took a man out as he made a good punch are so obviously blind to what a good goalkeeper should be doing and clutching at straws to defend a very inept goalkeeper.

He is nowhere near good enough and if Klopp doesn't do something about it in the Summer it will come back and bite him on the arse 100%
      Beerbelly
      • Banned

• 6,983 posts | 2054 
      Reply #839: Jan 14, 2016 12:02:33 pm
      He is nowhere near good enough and if Klopp doesn't do something about it in the Summer it will come back and bite him on the arse 100%

He has, he's given Mig's a 5 yr contract.  :f_tongueincheek:
      s@int
      • Forum Legend - Paisley

• 14,987 posts | 2282 
      Reply #840: Jan 14, 2016 12:08:18 pm
      He has, he's given Mig's a 5 yr contract.  :f_tongueincheek:

Luckily Migs dropped it. :)
      +12
      srslfc
      • Forum Legend - Shankly

• 32,145 posts | 4897 
      Reply #841: Jan 14, 2016 12:09:10 pm

;D

Brilliant.
      Beerbelly
      • Banned

• 6,983 posts | 2054 
      Reply #842: Jan 14, 2016 12:09:56 pm

:D

But he did mark it.  :P
      bigmick
      • Forum Legend - Paisley

• 10,078 posts | 2767 
      Reply #843: Jan 14, 2016 12:28:23 pm
      From the still which the lad posted up, Lallana, Sakho and Toure are all wrong side. WTF Lallana was trying to do I'm not sure, Sakho is getting outmuscled by a good player and Toure is a little bit asleep.

That said, these things happen and you could probably pick out 10 examples on still photographs for each team in every game of exactly the same thing. To take advantage of it you need good delivery (which they got), alert attackers (which Walcott and Girout were) and in this instance sh!te goalkeeping (provided by Mignolet). Obviously the goal isn't totally his fault as he ought to have been better helped, but he's got to save it FFS.

Mignolet has been criticised in the past to a ridiculous level for mistakes which were barely his IMHO, but last night he deserves it with both barrels. The first goal he has to save, and the second too. The third (sorry those who criticised him) no goalkeeper in the world is stopping, but last night it was not only about the goals it was the leak in our confidence which came from him being between the sticks.

Bizarrely, I thought Cech was poor too. He ought to have got the second and the third IMHO, and he was at fault for the first. The difference though is that Cech exudes confidence and presence, even though he's not half the keeper he was. because of his stature he is able to bluff his way through games, organising the defence and spreading confidence all around him. Liek his old team mate Terry at Chelsea, the legs have long gone but he is getting by on experience and nous. Mignolet would have saved our equaliser last night if he were playing for Arsenal, but there's no way they'd swap him for Cech.

We need a new goalkeeper, and if Danny Ward isn't good enough to get in front of both of the ones we've got then Aberdeen fans must be watching a different sport.   
      what-a-hit-son
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 16,475 posts | 4821 
      Reply #844: Jan 14, 2016 12:46:12 pm
      From the still which the lad posted up, Lallana, Sakho and Toure are all wrong side. WTF Lallana was trying to do I'm not sure, Sakho is getting outmuscled by a good player and Toure is a little bit asleep.

That said, these things happen and you could probably pick out 10 examples on still photographs for each team in every game of exactly the same thing. To take advantage of it you need good delivery (which they got), alert attackers (which Walcott and Girout were) and in this instance sh!te goalkeeping (provided by Mignolet). Obviously the goal isn't totally his fault as he ought to have been better helped, but he's got to save it FFS.

Mignolet has been criticised in the past to a ridiculous level for mistakes which were barely his IMHO, but last night he deserves it with both barrels. The first goal he has to save, and the second too. The third (sorry those who criticised him) no goalkeeper in the world is stopping, but last night it was not only about the goals it was the leak in our confidence which came from him being between the sticks.

Bizarrely, I thought Cech was poor too. He ought to have got the second and the third IMHO, and he was at fault for the first. The difference though is that Cech exudes confidence and presence, even though he's not half the keeper he was. because of his stature he is able to bluff his way through games, organising the defence and spreading confidence all around him. Liek his old team mate Terry at Chelsea, the legs have long gone but he is getting by on experience and nous. Mignolet would have saved our equaliser last night if he were playing for Arsenal, but there's no way they'd swap him for Cech.

We need a new goalkeeper, and if Danny Ward isn't good enough to get in front of both of the ones we've got then Aberdeen fans must be watching a different sport.   

Agree with most mate but not sure that Danny Ward is the answer but he might be worth a punt. I've not seen enough to pass proper judgement but something within me says he may have found his level at Aberdeen. He was brought back to provide cover as Bogdan is not up to the job. I'd try him though as what can he do wrong? Be at fault for a goal or two. It's as you where if he does isn't it? Nothing to lose but not sure it will happen.
      racerx34
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 33,595 posts | 3839 
      • THE SALT IN THE SOUP
      Reply #845: Jan 14, 2016 12:48:11 pm
      Agree with most mate but not sure that Danny Ward is the answer but he might be worth a punt. I've not seen enough to pass proper judgement but something within me says he may have found his level at Aberdeen. He was brought back to provide cover as Bogdan is not up to the job. I'd try him though as what can he do wrong? Be at fault for a goal or two. It's as you where if he does isn't it? Nothing to lose but not sure it will happen.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=1VKDfWJsjnA
      crouchinho
      • Forum Legend - Shankly

• 42,508 posts | 2620 
      • TU TA LOUCO? FILHO DA PUTA!
      Reply #846: Jan 14, 2016 01:04:00 pm
      Arsenal kept flooding the near post with bodies and put Mertesacker right in the mixer best to Mignolet at every corner i can recall. Every delivery was low and whipped to the near post.

We had Sakho and Kolo up at every one, and when Benteke came on, all three standing at the penalty spot. What did we do? We either over hit it to the back stick or went for a short corner.

Just alarming how thick our lads are on the pitch.
      HamannsTheMan
      • Forum Legend - Fagan

• 3,030 posts | 1973 
      Reply #847: Jan 14, 2016 01:24:40 pm
      Migs has the most clean sheets in the league, as we keep hearing recently so apart from the odd brain fart he is solid and not the worst keeper in the league at all.
      That's with an unsettled defence, injuries all over the place so some credit has to be given on that stat alone and I'm not really one for stats. That one is important as they come though.

Plus you say worst ever at Liverpool, I think that's ridiculous to be quite honest.
      Your other observations were good to read though.

Sorry mate, but I strongly disagree with your post.

Mignolet is solid? That is one word I definitely wouldn't associate Mignolet with. He can't command his box. He can't even command his six yard box. He can't catch. His distribution is woeful. And its simply a myth he is a good shot stopper too. He is just awful.

I'm 28. Mignolet is the worst no.1 goalkeeper I've ever seen in my life time at Anfield. I'm not stating that's fact, it's my opinion. I would swap him for any other premier league no.1 goalie right now.

I couldn't care less about that stat of him keeping the most clean sheets in 2015. That's credit to our defence, not him. Our defence is 'unsettled' all because of him. He brings no confidence to the back line at all.  You're also forgetting that Liverpool dominate the ball in most games we play and have huge amounts of possession, giving the opposition limited chances. You're also forgetting that even though he has kept the most clean sheets he still hasn't conceded the fewest goals which speaks volumes.

We will never win the league with him as our number 1.
      bmck
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 9,503 posts | 1647 
      • YNWA
      Reply #848: Jan 14, 2016 01:25:41 pm
      Not sure if there was a MOTM poll, but probably go for Firmino, with Hendo close behind. Roberto showing he can get end results, delighted for him, hopefully he can build on it and get more goals and improve his confidence. Thought Hendo coming back in, not having played a lot of football, was really good too, looking for the ball, always available, looking to go forward and putting in a captains performance.
      Really good match, we had chances to win, but so had they.  Maybe if we had been a bit more stingy at the back, we get the 3 pts.
      Thought throwing on Caulker up front was a real gamble at the time, but the end justifies the means I guess, well done Jürgen ;)
      And Allen took his chance well, fair play to him.
      Would imagine same team will start against Utd, maybe Allen or Lucas in for Milner or Can (thought Can looked leggy) but apart from than not much cause - or option - to change (BigBen on the bench again, though he did OK as an impact sub)
      Feeling more confident now ahead of the Ushited game at the weekend...
      HamannsTheMan
      • Forum Legend - Fagan

• 3,030 posts | 1973 
      Reply #849: Jan 14, 2016 01:40:52 pm
      Cannot believe I'm reading some (few mind you) comments about Henderson being 'average'... I can't image those comments have come from people who have watched the full game.

Thought Henderson played well last night but I often say he is average. Comparing him to past Liverpool midfielders then Jordan isn't fit enough to lace their boots in all honesty. Maybe that's unfair of me to compare him to our greats but its true at the end of the day.

He is very good at being the legs of the midfield doing other peoples donkey work but he isn't good enough to be our main player in the middle and that's what he is right now. We need somebody much better alongside him if we are going to challenge. Somebody who can pass a ball better, tackle better, score more goals, create more goals and so on. Hendo is the perfect player to sit alongside such a player and pick the pieces up and then occasionally chip in when he can. His partnership with Stevie a couple of seasons back was like that when we almost won the league.

Brian78
      • Forum Legend - Paisley

• 19,112 posts | 2765 
      • A Liverbird upon my chest
      Reply #850: Jan 14, 2016 01:45:01 pm
      Regarding Henderson

This where I think some people get found out as to what aspects of matches they see or what they want to see from players e.g. a goal.

Henderson made several super runs off the ball last night that had the pass been played when it should have and not delayed that extra second to take another touch or whatever then Henderson was opening Arsenal up. He does some great work but because others around him aren't doing what they should when they should it can appear Jordan isn't up too much.

Surround him with top players and you see how good he is.

Quick Reply