Trending Topics

Next match: v [] Thu 1st Jan @ 1:00 am

Today is the 23rd of May and on this date LFC's match record is P9 W4 D1 L4

Klopp Style Transfer Targets

Read 5629 times
      harrydunn08
      • Forum Legend - Dalglish
      • Started Topic

• 5,927 posts | 968 
      Klopp Style Transfer Targets
      Jan 15, 2016 03:51:19 am
      So, I thought it would be fun to make a thread about players who we think would really fit Klopp's philosophy and tactics -- heavy metal football.  My opinion on the type of players Klopp likes are that they must be aggressive, athletic, and hard working with basic positional qualities required for different types of players -- forwards need to be able to dribble and shoot well, midfielders need good passing, CB's need to be strong and good in the air, and fullbacks need to have pace and fitness. 

Here are a few players I think would fit the criteria:

Marek Hamsik
      Radja Nainggolan
      Edison Cavani
      Mario Mandzukic
      Blaise Matuidi
      Luiz Gustavo

And just for good measure:  Mascherano and Kuyt  :)

Who are some players you think would suit Klopp's style and why?
      Dadorious

• 9,882 posts | 1545 
      Re: Klopp Style Transfer Targets
      Reply #1: Jan 15, 2016 04:28:00 am
      So, I thought it would be fun to make a thread about players who we think would really fit Klopp's philosophy and tactics -- heavy metal football.  My opinion on the type of players Klopp likes are that they must be aggressive, athletic, and hard working with basic positional qualities required for different types of players -- forwards need to be able to dribble and shoot well, midfielders need good passing, CB's need to be strong and good in the air, and fullbacks need to have pace and fitness. 

Here are a few players I think would fit the criteria:

Marek Hamsik
      Radja Nainggolan
      Edison Cavani
      Mario Mandzukic
      Blaise Matuidi
      Luiz Gustavo

And just for good measure:  Mascherano and Kuyt  :)

Who are some players you think would suit Klopp's style and why?

Mate I don't think any of those players would fit the bill to play high intensity pressing football. They lack the pace with the exception of Nainngolan and Matuidi (but only in a box to box role).Mandzukic is very much a player in the Benteke mould albeit a lot more aggressive, Cavani severely over rated in my books and Hamsik never really hit his potential for me. Gustavo probably one of the slowest midfielders in the game.

I think you should refine that list?!
      crouchinho
      • Forum Legend - Shankly

• 42,508 posts | 2620 
      • TU TA LOUCO? FILHO DA PUTA!
      Reply #2: Jan 15, 2016 05:30:14 am
      Luis Suarez :'(
      Rockafella88
      • Forum John Toshack

• 267 posts | 83 
      Reply #3: Jan 15, 2016 08:15:57 am
      Left field option, but Marc Albrighton from Foxes. Energy all game, great cross and pacy. Something we need right now. Would have him over Lallana all day long.
      FanBoy
      • Forum Erik Meijer

• 30 posts |
      Reply #4: Jan 15, 2016 09:18:48 am
      Left field option, but Marc Albrighton from Foxes. Energy all game, great cross and pacy. Something we need right now. Would have him over Lallana all day long.

Always liked Albrighton but would definitely be a risky one - there must be a reason he's ended up at LCFC - although can't argue with how well they've done this season.
      bazspeedman
      • Forum Legend - Paisley

• 15,832 posts | 2459 
      Reply #5: Jan 15, 2016 09:26:20 am

Hi Brendan  xxxxx:action-smiley-065:
      ORCHARD RED

• 8,526 posts | 1457 
      • 6 Times!
      Reply #6: Jan 15, 2016 09:30:47 am

Flavour of the month player maybe? Lallana himself looked the dogs bollox for Southampton, but is struggling to find that form again. But for the right price could be worth a shot, May even be a bargain.
      bazspeedman
      • Forum Legend - Paisley

• 15,832 posts | 2459 
      Reply #7: Jan 15, 2016 09:39:58 am
      Timo Horn
      Rubén Neves
      Ilkay Gundogan
      Marco Reus
      Mario Gotze
      Pierre Aubameyang
      mcarz
      • Forum Legend - Paisley

• 17,179 posts | 1355 
      Reply #8: Jan 15, 2016 09:40:15 am
      Always liked Albrighton but would definitely be a risky one - there must be a reason he's ended up at LCFC - although can't argue with how well they've done this season.

Wow :mad:

Albrighton :D
      s@int
      • Forum Legend - Paisley

• 14,987 posts | 2282 
      Reply #9: Jan 15, 2016 10:48:03 am

Good player, but doubt he would get a game for us now we have Benteke.

:D
      harrydunn08
      • Started Topic

• 5,927 posts | 968 
      Reply #10: Jan 15, 2016 02:23:50 pm
      Mate I don't think any of those players would fit the bill to play high intensity pressing football. They lack the pace with the exception of Nainngolan and Matuidi (but only in a box to box role).Mandzukic is very much a player in the Benteke mould albeit a lot more aggressive, Cavani severely over rated in my books and Hamsik never really hit his potential for me. Gustavo probably one of the slowest midfielders in the game.

I think you should refine that list?!

Klopp isn't only concerned with pace.  None of Sahin, Bender, Gotze, or Lewa had searing pace but they were all integral parts of his team.  He certainly likes pace, particularly in the wide areas, but it isn't the only thing he looks for in players. 

We will just have to agree to disagree on this one....  :)
      reddebs
      • "LFC Hipster"
      • Forum Legend - Paisley

• 17,980 posts | 2264 
      Reply #11: Jan 15, 2016 10:48:10 pm
      Jürgen likes tall, technically good, athletic players so scour the leagues of the old Eastern block countries for these types of players and that's who he'll target  ;)

I'd add that if he does buy a big "name" type player, it'll most likely be one he's worked with previously as I don't think he'd risk spending big on a player who might not work out/fit etc.
      HScRed1
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 20,228 posts | 4420 
      Reply #12: Jan 15, 2016 11:11:00 pm
      Jürgen likes tall, technically good, athletic players so scour the leagues of the old Eastern block countries for these types of players and that's who he'll target  ;)

I'd add that if he does buy a big "name" type player, it'll most likely be one he's worked with previously as I don't think he'd risk spending big on a player who might not work out/fit etc.

I think a lot on here might end up being dissapointed by Jurgens signings as he has a history (so far at least ) of signing young/unknown players and moulding them into the way he wants his team to function.

But there again he has never had the sort of money he will have at his disposable now at LFC and especially with new TV deal.

mcarz
      • Forum Legend - Paisley

• 17,179 posts | 1355 
      Reply #13: Jan 15, 2016 11:28:24 pm
      I think a lot on here might end up being dissapointed by Jurgens signings as he has a history (so far at least ) of signing young/unknown players and moulding them into the way he wants his team to function.

But there again he has never had the sort of money he will have at his disposable now at LFC and especially with new TV deal.

I can live with Jürgen buying whoever because he has a plan and a specific style. It's when people get bought without a plan of what to do with them or how to bring the best out of them (90% of Brendan's signings for example).
      harrydunn08
      • Started Topic

• 5,927 posts | 968 
      Reply #14: Jan 16, 2016 02:54:18 am
      I can live with Jürgen buying whoever because he has a plan and a specific style. It's when people get bought without a plan of what to do with them or how to bring the best out of them (90% of Brendan's signings for example).

Ah, the old "versatility" trick....
      TheleftpegofRayKennedy
      • Forum Legend - Benitez

• 1,053 posts | 342 
      Reply #15: Jan 16, 2016 09:51:35 am
      West Ham have two players I think would add to our capability and quality - Cresswell and Payet.  Neither going anywhere though.

Mahrez of course. In fact two or three from the Algerian World Cup Team of 2014 would fit the bill in terms of pace, energy and inventiveness.

I feel as if bringing big-name foreign players in seems a bigger gamble these days - how many supposedly high-quality players have come into the Prem from overseas in the last couple of seasons only to underachieve?  Much safer to bring in players who've proved it in our top league.  (OK nobody mention Mignolet!).
      mcarz
      • Forum Legend - Paisley

• 17,179 posts | 1355 
      Reply #16: Jan 16, 2016 10:02:22 am
      West Ham have two players I think would add to our capability and quality - Cresswell and Payet.  Neither going anywhere though.

Mahrez of course. In fact two or three from the Algerian World Cup Team of 2014 would fit the bill in terms of pace, energy and inventiveness.

I feel as if bringing big-name foreign players in seems a bigger gamble these days - how many supposedly high-quality players have come into the Prem from overseas in the last couple of seasons only to underachieve?  Much safer to bring in players who've proved it in our top league.  (OK nobody mention Mignolet!).

Depends what you mean by high quality. World class players are much better than a bunch of players from the Algeria team that's for sure. This Prem proven business is a myth.
      TheleftpegofRayKennedy
      • Forum Legend - Benitez

• 1,053 posts | 342 
      Reply #17: Jan 16, 2016 10:52:15 am
      Depends what you mean by high quality. World class players are much better than a bunch of players from the Algeria team that's for sure. This Prem proven business is a myth.

Don't get me wrong, I'm not suggesting we aim to buy a "bunch of players from the Algeria team", just that Mahrez is one who I think would improve us under Klopp, and that he and international team mates such as Brahimi, Slimani and Feghouli showed the qualities Klopp demands during the last WC (sorry, I'd just watched a youtube vid of their campaign so it was on my mind!).

And I'm always very suspicious about terms like 'World Class'.  I mean, weren't Falcao, Pedro and er, Rooney supposedly in that bracket?  How many "world class" players do Spurs have at the moment, or Leicester, or even Arsenal (besides Ozil)? Yet they're genuine title contenders, IMHO. 

'Premiership proven' - yeah its not always a guarantee, but then again we've had so many players who've come from overseas in recent years and disappeared without trace (almost without games in some cases).  I could name a dozen. 
      reddebs
      • "LFC Hipster"
      • Forum Legend - Paisley

• 17,980 posts | 2264 
      Reply #18: Jan 16, 2016 11:01:55 am

This is my take on it too mate but the last paragraph is my reason for thinking if he's going to spend big money on a player, it'll be on someone whose played for him before, who he knows fits his system/playing style.

I don't mean that he doesn't trust himself to spend big but that he won't want to waste the money like we've done previously.  I get the feeling he'll want every penny he spends to count, that after every window we'll be a better and stronger squad, not scratching his head wondering what the hell to do with the players bought.

It's a refreshing change, even when we scratch our heads heads and say eh? we can at least also say yeah ok, I see what he's doing.
      skolRED
      • Forum Legend - Fagan

• 3,176 posts | 265 
      Reply #19: Jan 16, 2016 04:41:25 pm
      “The only thing I need is players that want to help the team. They have to listen to what I say.

“If we cannot sign a player like him then we are not interested in him. We will have to take other players. The whole world plays football, there are players everywhere.

“You have to look at which players are reachable and not dream of this player or that player and then say: ‘But they don’t want to come to Liverpool.’ If a player doesn’t want to come to Liverpool then stay away. Really. If you think about the weather, stay away. If you think about other things, stay away. If you want to come here, you are welcome. That is the first and most important issue.”

It is very important in football. It is not a proposal, it is law.   :  Jürgen Klopp
      Billo
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 10,710 posts | 896 
      Reply #20: Jan 16, 2016 05:14:28 pm
      I don't think there is a Klopp style players, Klopp makes them play certain way.

A good player is a good player, he just needs to offer more without the ball to satisfy Klopp and I believe that Klopp can get that out from a player.

So when we sign a player, I won't be reading too much into if he is Klopp type of player or not.

-LFC-
      • Forum Legend - Fagan

• 4,245 posts | 1226 
      Reply #21: Jan 16, 2016 05:21:21 pm
      “The only thing I need is players that want to help the team. They have to listen to what I say.

“If we cannot sign a player like him then we are not interested in him. We will have to take other players. The whole world plays football, there are players everywhere.

“You have to look at which players are reachable and not dream of this player or that player and then say: ‘But they don’t want to come to Liverpool.’ If a player doesn’t want to come to Liverpool then stay away. Really. If you think about the weather, stay away. If you think about other things, stay away. If you want to come here, you are welcome. That is the first and most important issue.”

It is very important in football. It is not a proposal, it is law.   :  Jürgen Klopp

Good to see the manager emphasising this. All the great managers say the best players are those who want to take responsibility. Talent isn't enough. I am hopeful we can get some very talented players with the right mentality. Germans maybe....
      srslfc
      • Forum Legend - Shankly

• 32,332 posts | 4960 
      Reply #22: Jan 16, 2016 07:23:50 pm
      I don't think there is a Klopp style players, Klopp makes them play certain way.

A good player is a good player, he just needs to offer more without the ball to satisfy Klopp and I believe that Klopp can get that out from a player.

So when we sign a player, I won't be reading too much into if he is Klopp type of player or not.

I think every manager has a certain type of player they like to a certain extend but I do agree that Jürgen seems to like any player that is willing to apply themselves and listen to what he wants.

The likes of Hendo and Milner are his type in this way.

Quick Reply