Trending Topics

Next match: Everton v LFC [Premier League] Wed 24th Apr @ 8:00 pm - Pre Match Topic
      Goodison Park

Today is the 24th of April and on this date LFC's match record is P25 W10 D8 L7

Jamie Vardy (Leicester City)

Read 15617 times
      grewalge
      • Forum Legend - Benitez
      • Started Topic

• 1,087 posts | 82 
      Jamie Vardy (Leicester City)
      Jan 17, 2016 07:14:16 am
      http://www.dailystar.co.uk/sport/football/488130/Exclusive-Liverpool-leading-race-Leicester-goal-ace

Well, it was a matter of time before we got linked with him considering the fact that we have made a name for ourselves for bringing the stars from over achieving teams. Aston Villa, Newcastle, Blackpool, Southampton and now this. I am sitting on the fence with this one, having said that with our luck if do get him he will become injury prone and just never his this level again.

Mods, I am not sure if this is considered a reliable source, please lock/delete if it isn't.
      Pear
      • Forum Legend - Benitez

• 1,281 posts | 79 
      • Me, i always tell the truth, even when i lie.
      Re: Jamie Vardy (Leicester City)
      Reply #1: Jan 17, 2016 08:37:01 am
      29 years old,dont think he will get any better and that he will repeat this season he had with Leicester,pass.
      I could see him playing for Tottenham or Southampton,not any top PL clubs.
      ORCHARD RED
      • Forum Legend - Dalglish

• 8,526 posts | 1457 
      • 6 Times!
      Reply #2: Jan 17, 2016 09:45:56 am
      I've heard 25 million being the asking price! Too much of a risk on a one season player.
      srslfc
      • Forum Legend - Shankly

• 32,172 posts | 4907 
      Reply #3: Jan 17, 2016 09:55:55 am
      Absolute flash in the pan.

fields of anny rd
      • Forum Legend - Paisley

• 17,663 posts | 1961 
      Reply #4: Jan 17, 2016 09:57:59 am
      Ings type. Will run in behind all game for you and stretch a defence with his pace and direct style. Would provide Suarez like effort off the ball too. Would be a decent signing, in a similar style to Danny Ings. Wouldn't think he'd cost more than £15m and his wages would be manageable. He might not get the numbers of this season again, but he will work hard and create space for others.
      stuey
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 36,004 posts | 3952 
      Reply #5: Jan 17, 2016 10:07:25 am
      I've heard 25 million being the asking price! Too much of a risk on a one season player.

His form this season could  arguably justify an inflated fee - but 25m beats inflated.
      He is 29 and apart from that being a ripe age for a striker the question must be asked why has this extraordinary skill never been displayed before?
      There is a reason the top clubs are not rushing headlong into a bidding war for Vardy. 
      Brian78
      • Forum Legend - Paisley

• 19,150 posts | 2780 
      • A Liverbird upon my chest
      Reply #6: Jan 17, 2016 10:11:58 am
      Perhaps he's never had a manager before who sets the team up to benefit his strengths. Always too quick on this forum to look for reasons not to sign a player.
      Pear
      • Forum Legend - Benitez

• 1,281 posts | 79 
      Reply #7: Jan 17, 2016 10:19:28 am
      Perhaps he's never had a manager before who sets the team up to benefit his strengths. Always too quick on this forum to look for reasons not to sign a player.
      So you say we should sign him?
      ORCHARD RED
      • Forum Legend - Dalglish

• 8,526 posts | 1457 
      • 6 Times!
      Reply #8: Jan 17, 2016 10:29:16 am

I think that the way to be though. We've been stung so many times before by clubs that raise the asking price because we're Liverpool, so we need to look at all the pros and cons before we spend our entire budget (based on previous previous net spends) on a player.
      If we are looking at a replacement for Sturridge, Vardy is not the answer, Sturridge is streets ahead when fit, if we're looking at a partner for Sturridge, I'd rather have a consistently proven player.
      crouchinho
      • Forum Legend - Shankly

• 42,508 posts | 2620 
      • TU TA LOUCO? FILHO DA PUTA!
      Reply #9: Jan 17, 2016 10:32:58 am

If we set up the team to benefit his strengths then we're going backwards. We need much better than Jamie Vardy.
      cocker the red
      • Forum Matt Busby

• 129 posts | 10 
      Reply #10: Jan 17, 2016 10:37:30 am
      He would be good business at 15m if u could get him for that, if he fired us into the top 4 it would be money well spent imho. I wonder what the length of his contract is at Leicester
      cocker the red
      • Forum Matt Busby

• 129 posts | 10 
      Reply #11: Jan 17, 2016 10:41:17 am
       xxxxx:action-smiley-065:
      If we set up the team to benefit his strengths then we're going backwards. We need much better than Jamie Vardy.

I would say he's a klopp type signing, prepared to run and harrass defenders not like are current no 9
      « Last Edit: Jan 17, 2016 10:27:49 pm by MsGerrard »
      Brian78
      • Forum Legend - Paisley

• 19,150 posts | 2780 
      Reply #12: Jan 17, 2016 10:42:10 am
      So you say we should sign him?

No but I'd have no issue if we did. He's 29 so what? Mess is not much younger would there be an issue with signing due to his age? He's a late developers? So what? he's good now he might have been good 5 years ago and gone backwards had we signed him then.

My point is we're assuming signing a 29 year old late developer in the form of his life won't work. Why don't we assume that signing a player in his prime with his best 3 years likely ahead of him and playing with supposedly better players won't turn out to be a great signing?
      Brian78
      • Forum Legend - Paisley

• 19,150 posts | 2780 
      Reply #13: Jan 17, 2016 10:43:34 am

We wouldn't have too change much if anything. Picture him now in our team instead of Benteke with that pace and movement and of course his finishing
      Pear
      • Forum Legend - Benitez

• 1,281 posts | 79 
      Reply #14: Jan 17, 2016 10:44:53 am
      No but I'd have no issue if we did. He's 29 so what? Mess is not much younger would there be an issue with signing due to his age? He's a late developers? So what? he's good now he might have been good 5 years ago and gone backwards had we signed him then.

My point is we're assuming signing a 29 year old late developer in the form of his life won't work. Why don't we assume that signing a player in his prime with his best 3 years likely ahead of him and playing with supposedly better players won't turn out to be a great signing?
      Gotta go mate :)
      crouchinho
      • Forum Legend - Shankly

• 42,508 posts | 2620 
      • TU TA LOUCO? FILHO DA PUTA!
      Reply #15: Jan 17, 2016 10:49:58 am
      We wouldn't have too change much if anything. Picture him now in our team instead of Benteke with that pace and movement and of course his finishing

Leicester sit deep, try and get Vardy one on one to run behind his man and they hack it forward. We would have to change a lot.
      Brian78
      • Forum Legend - Paisley

• 19,150 posts | 2780 
      Reply #16: Jan 17, 2016 10:59:17 am
      s@int
      • Forum Legend - Paisley

• 14,987 posts | 2282 
      Reply #17: Jan 17, 2016 11:00:34 am
      I think we should pass on this one. We always seem to chase players while they are having their "wonder" season rather than trying to bring in players who play at that level year in year out.

Vardy reminds me of Dean Saunders, scored a raft of goals for Derby as they sat back in their own half and used Saunders pace to get their goals. Sadly when he came to Liverpool, a team that played in the opponents half he wasn't half the player.

srslfc
      • Forum Legend - Shankly

• 32,172 posts | 4907 
      Reply #18: Jan 17, 2016 11:00:44 am

I'm not on that camp Bri and I'm one who thinks there is quality players in this league and you don't always have to look abroad.

But I really don't think Vardy is as good as people say he is.
      mcarz
      • Forum Legend - Paisley

• 17,179 posts | 1355 
      Reply #19: Jan 17, 2016 11:05:07 am

One of them is a 5 times world player of the year and has been dominating for years, the other one is having the first good season of his career. Massively different situations.
      stuey
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 36,004 posts | 3952 
      Reply #20: Jan 17, 2016 11:08:08 am
      More to the point the owners would never, ever, no way Jose, sanction the signing of a 29 year old for 25m spondoolies.
      srslfc
      • Forum Legend - Shankly

• 32,172 posts | 4907 
      Reply #21: Jan 17, 2016 11:08:27 am
      More to the point the owners would never, ever, no way Jose, sanction the signing of a 29 year old for 25m spondoolies.

Thank F**k in this case.
      Brian78
      • Forum Legend - Paisley

• 19,150 posts | 2780 
      Reply #22: Jan 17, 2016 11:09:24 am
      One of them is a 5 times world player of the year and has been dominating for years, the other one is having the first good season of his career. Massively different situations.

Obviously! I was highlighting the silliness people have about age. They wouldn't sign a 29 year old? Jesus wept

Quick Reply