Trending Topics

Next match: Atalanta v LFC [Europa League] Thu 18th Apr @ 8:00 pm - Pre Match Topic
      Stadio di Bergamo

Today is the 18th of April and on this date LFC's match record is P31 W9 D10 L12

Jamie Vardy (Leicester City)

Read 15605 times
      FL Red
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 31,191 posts | 6346 
      Re: Jamie Vardy (Leicester City)
      Reply #69: Jan 20, 2016 02:19:44 pm
      But isn't that what we've been doing for years mate.  Buying flavour of the month players who need to adapt to how we play, then get pissed off when they don't or can't. 

I'd rather we bought players who are already playing how we need them to so they slot in straight away and instantly improve the position we've bought them for.

Agree...I'd love to see us buy someone I've never even heard of that comes in and plays like he's been here for ages. 
      Poko
      • Forum Legend - Benitez

• 1,502 posts | 65 
      Reply #70: Jan 20, 2016 03:09:21 pm
      ;D. This isn't 1985. You don't get anyone half decent for £3m anymore.

As much as he MAY have fizzled out, he has pace, good finishing and is direct. He COULD do a job at the right price.

That was the point I was making. I think he is worth about 3M and they wouldn't sell for anywhere near that price.

He is not better than what we have IMO.

srslfc
      • Forum Legend - Shankly

• 32,144 posts | 4897 
      Reply #71: Jan 20, 2016 03:17:12 pm
      That was the point I was making. I think he is worth about 3M and they wouldn't sell for anywhere near that price.

As much as I don't rate him his record this season suggests he's a hell of a lot better than what we have.

And although I think he is a flash in the pan he's a much better player than any £3M striker you'll find.

MarkMitt
      • Forum Legend - Fagan

• 2,800 posts | 337 
      • Give it your best every time!
      Reply #72: Jan 20, 2016 03:21:29 pm

If Bentekasaurus is "worth" 32m, then Vardy, who had just set a record for goals in successive games, must be worth 10-12m surely?

FL Red
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 31,191 posts | 6346 
      Reply #73: Jan 20, 2016 03:23:42 pm
      If Bentekasaurus is "worth" 32m, then Vardy, who had just set a record for goals in successive games, must be worth 10-12m surely?

I think 10-12 is about right...but you know that he'll go nowhere for less than 25m. English player markup.
      reddebs
      • "LFC Hipster"
      • Forum Legend - Paisley

• 17,980 posts | 2264 
      Reply #74: Jan 20, 2016 03:29:31 pm
      Agree...I'd love to see us buy someone I've never even heard of that comes in and plays like he's been here for ages. 

I don't care if I've heard of them or how much or how little they cost mate so long as they improve the position they've been recruited for instead of the seemingly hap hazard approach of ooh lovely buy him and I'll see where I can fit him in.

That's no way to build a competitive squad.
      MarkMitt
      • Forum Legend - Fagan

• 2,800 posts | 337 
      Reply #75: Jan 20, 2016 04:11:23 pm
      I think 10-12 is about right...but you know that he'll go nowhere for less than 25m. English player markup.

Yes, it's farcical. But unfortunately we seem to be the club that pays the over inflated prices that lesser teams ask. Yes, aimed squarely at Adam Lallana...

Poko
      • Forum Legend - Benitez

• 1,502 posts | 65 
      Reply #76: Jan 20, 2016 11:23:56 pm
      Yeah he is probably worth 10-12M. But if he came here I just get the feeling he wouldn't succeed. Hence why I threw the 3M price tag. I did not say his market value was 3M I said that is what I think he is worth paying for him to come to LFC.

He is a half season wonder and now he is slowing up majorly. Would rather take that 10-12M and add it to some other player so we can get a world class player.

No more of this "stop gap" and temporary fixes. We need permanent fixes.
      GeorgeRed
      • Forum Legend - Fagan

• 3,590 posts | 324 
      Reply #77: Jan 21, 2016 08:52:59 am
      I don't think he is a solution, we need a top-class striker, a long-term solution for our attack.

There are alot of players who went through a great goalscoring form and then they reverted to their usual self.

See Papiss Cisse, Michu, Charlie Austin, Remy etc. Ighalo will be another example.

Form is temporary, class is permanent.
      SM
      • Forum Legend - Fagan

• 3,583 posts | 400 
      Reply #78: Jan 21, 2016 12:56:32 pm
      I don't think he is a solution, we need a top-class striker, a long-term solution for our attack.

There are alot of players who went through a great goalscoring form and then they reverted to their usual self.

See Papiss Cisse, Michu, Charlie Austin, Remy etc. Ighalo will be another example.

Fair points there George, I agree with that.
      MarkMitt
      • Forum Legend - Fagan

• 2,800 posts | 337 
      Reply #79: Jan 21, 2016 05:15:49 pm
      Yeah he is probably worth 10-12M. But if he came here I just get the feeling he wouldn't succeed. Hence why I threw the 3M price tag. I did not say his market value was 3M I said that is what I think he is worth paying for him to come to LFC.

He is a half season wonder and now he is slowing up majorly. Would rather take that 10-12M and add it to some other player so we can get a world class player.

No more of this "stop gap" and temporary fixes. We need permanent fixes.

Even a temporary fix is better than no fix at all. Just say for example he came in for the remainder of the season and got between 5-8 goals in the league. Isn't that likely to be a better return than our other forward players are likely to produce?

mcarz
      • Forum Legend - Paisley

• 17,179 posts | 1355 
      Reply #80: Jan 21, 2016 07:15:46 pm
      Even a temporary fix is better than no fix at all. Just say for example he came in for the remainder of the season and got between 5-8 goals in the league. Isn't that likely to be a better return than our other forward players are likely to produce?

Then you're stuck with a near 30 year old come the end of the season who could be on the decline very soon and who won't leave. Leave him where he is and aim higher in the summer.
      MarkMitt
      • Forum Legend - Fagan

• 2,800 posts | 337 
      Reply #81: Jan 21, 2016 07:50:56 pm
      Then you're stuck with a near 30 year old come the end of the season who could be on the decline very soon and who won't leave. Leave him where he is and aim higher in the summer.

I'm not saying buy him for sure, but it's an option. Hell, he could be given a short term contract, ie two years.

You say aim higher, but there's NEVER a guarantee someone will come in and be successful. Just look at some massive names that have come to the PL and failed miserably. Shevchenko, Torres at the chavs, Falcao, Soldado etc...

So like I said before, I'm not saying make sure we get him, but if a decent bit of business is done, at the right price, the right contract, then it could swing favourably for us. Personally, I'd like to see "better" players sought, but after paying  nearly 70m for big Andy and big Ben, is around 10m really going to hurt?
      Son Of A Gun
      • Forum Legend - Dalglish

• 5,187 posts | 1269 
      Reply #82: Jan 21, 2016 07:53:43 pm

I agree, the last thing we need is another waste of money.

Watch him inevitably bomb at Euro 2016 when he struggles to score against useless teams.
      7-King Kenny-7
      • Lives on Sesame Street
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 44,014 posts | 5760 
      • You'll Never Walk Alone!
      Reply #83: Jan 21, 2016 10:53:42 pm

Wouldn't have Charlie Austin in that list. Out of the lot of them you've listed, he's the only one I rate.
      Poko
      • Forum Legend - Benitez

• 1,502 posts | 65 
      Reply #84: Jan 22, 2016 02:59:16 am
      I'm not saying buy him for sure, but it's an option. Hell, he could be given a short term contract, ie two years.

You say aim higher, but there's NEVER a guarantee someone will come in and be successful. Just look at some massive names that have come to the PL and failed miserably. Shevchenko, Torres at the chavs, Falcao, Soldado etc...

So like I said before, I'm not saying make sure we get him, but if a decent bit of business is done, at the right price, the right contract, then it could swing favourably for us. Personally, I'd like to see "better" players sought, but after paying  nearly 70m for big Andy and big Ben, is around 10m really going to hurt?

Yes 10M for a mediocre striker. We have bought too many mediocre players in the past. Like I said, no more short term solutions. We need quality players. And if there are none available or we do not buy any players in January, then I am more than content to wait til summer. If that means missing out on top 4 then I am okay with that. I believe in Klopp and it will take time to do things right. But no more short fixes. We need long term help.
      Emlyn Hughes
      • Forum Legend - Benitez

• 1,632 posts | 128 
      Reply #85: Jan 22, 2016 08:16:52 am
      What? The guy has one good season were he gets all the spotlight?! Sorry but he is too skinny and just the type of player we are buying for years ...  We don't need another squad player  ... We need  a real  number 9 again!!
      MarkMitt
      • Forum Legend - Fagan

• 2,800 posts | 337 
      Reply #86: Jan 23, 2016 05:17:00 pm
      Scored again in a comfortable win over a good Stoke side...
      bazspeedman
      • Forum Legend - Paisley

• 15,790 posts | 2446 
      Reply #87: Jan 23, 2016 05:18:33 pm
      Scored again in a comfortable win over a good Stoke side...

Stoke without Bojan and Armautovic are pretty average.
      waltonl4
      • Forum Legend - Shankly

• 37,585 posts | 7139 
      Reply #88: Jan 23, 2016 05:43:10 pm
      What? The guy has one good season were he gets all the spotlight?! Sorry but he is too skinny and just the type of player we are buying for years ...  We don't need another squad player  ... We need  a real  number 9 again!!

are you sure 16 league goals and he played about 6 games injured( note to Daniel).I don't want him here but I find it curious why people don't rate him...have you seen our forwards?
      GeorgeRed
      • Forum Legend - Fagan

• 3,590 posts | 324 
      Reply #89: Jan 23, 2016 06:16:04 pm

Also Shawcross injured around minute 40.
      MarkMitt
      • Forum Legend - Fagan

• 2,800 posts | 337 
      Reply #90: Jan 23, 2016 07:32:16 pm

Like us at this moment then...

fields of anny rd
      • Forum Legend - Paisley

• 17,663 posts | 1961 
      Reply #91: Jan 24, 2016 11:13:52 am
      Cant see how he wouldn't work out here as long as he continued to run in behind and stretch defenders.

Quick Reply