Trending Topics

Next match: West Ham v LFC [Premier League] Sat 27th Apr @ 12:30 pm
      London Stadium

Today is the 26th of April and on this date LFC's match record is P25 W9 D9 L7

LFC Reds Poll

Q. LFC Man of the Match?

Simon Mignolet
      2 (1.6%)
      Nathaniel Clyne
      0 (0%)
      Mamadou Sakho
      39 (30.2%)
      Kolo Toure
      10 (7.8%)
      Alberto Moreno
      1 (0.8%)
      Lucas Leiva
      26 (20.2%)
      Jordan Henderson
      5 (3.9%)
      Emre Can
      6 (4.7%)
      Roberto Firmino
      33 (25.6%)
      Adam Lallana
      0 (0%)
      James Milner
      6 (4.7%)
      Jordon Ibe
      0 (0%)
      Christian Benteke
      1 (0.8%)

Total Members Voted: 124

Voting closed: Jan 21, 2016 04:03:11 pm

Liverpool 0-1 Man United: In game and Post match debate

Read 38507 times
      RobieSlick
      • Forum Legend - Fagan

• 2,758 posts | 259 
      Re: Liverpool 0-1 Man United: In game and Post match debate
      Reply #805: Jan 18, 2016 10:03:59 am
      To me it seems quite simple really:

A good (not great) keeper for us and we would have been at least 6 (if not 7-9) points better off. Mignolet has made so so many mistakes (not in this game though). Imagine if we had Cech or someone of similar standard.

Conversely, a good keeper for the Scum has saved them I would say at 6-9 points this season and last season, he was reason they got into top 4.

That's my 2 peneth worth.
      The Real Donavan Ried
      • Forum Legend - Dalglish

• 5,120 posts | 949 
      Reply #806: Jan 18, 2016 10:17:25 am
      He could have walked with his head held high. It's not like he's struggling for money, and if he had walked with his credibility in tact, he probably would have went straight into another job. He got undermined because he allowed himself to be undermined, which is a big no-no in business.

You (BR) have given up quite a secure job all be it at a smaller club (Swansea) to manager what can be said to be a dream job (LFC) and as said here; you so nearly win the Title, then over that summer you lose your star player (Suarez) and then you are told that you must sign players identified from a list made up by a “Transfer Committee”. Players that will not cost much and have a “resalable value”

Do you….

(a) Stand your ground and refuse to sign any of these player, at the risk of being given your P45, and being branded a failure at a big club thus never being offered a “Dream Job” again  e.g. "The Chosen One", Andre Villa Boas (both managers been given the sack from what they consider to be “Dream Jobs”)

(b)Go along with what is demanded of you, Keep your job, hope for some measure of success, and thus down the line gain a greater influence; thus have greater say in who the club signs and more importantly cementing your position as a in demand manager.
      Not to mention your financial security .

It is O.K. for us to sit in front of our P.C, Lap Tops, Tables and Mobile Phone and say BR should have stood his ground and fuse to sign this player or that player. He had to thing about his current job and how it would reflex on his finances and his future employment. Remember most managers take home far less than players, and most players are secure for 4-5 years…

Was Brendan Rodgers given a fair shake as manager?... I doubt he was

Am I glad that he is gone?.... Yes because we could not continue that way

And should the same thing befall Jürgen Klopp then I will be glad to see him go as well.

But hopefully FSG will see sense and it will be the “Transfer Committee” which gets the boot instead

The Real Donavan Ried

• 5,120 posts | 949 
      Reply #807: Jan 18, 2016 10:32:32 am
      This.

The damage goes on and will for sometime.
      And what about the S%!t signing Kenny made? In truth our demise started in the the second come of "King Kenny" We sold Raul Meireles who was just coming into himself and scoring goals and replaced him with Charlie Adams, Jordan Henderson, and Stuart Downing. Raul Meireles Goes to Chelsea plays a faction of the time that those three plays and scores as many goals as the three combined, and not to Mention Andy Carol.... Thank god the deal was in place for Suarez before KD took over. I hate to see just who he would have bought in
      MarkMitt
      • Forum Legend - Fagan

• 2,800 posts | 337 
      • Give it your best every time!
      Reply #808: Jan 18, 2016 11:11:03 am
      And what about the S%!t signing Kenny made? In truth our demise started in the the second come of "King Kenny" We sold Raul Meireles who was just coming into himself and scoring goals and replaced him with Charlie Adams, Jordan Henderson, and Stuart Downing. Raul Meireles Goes to Chelsea plays a faction of the time that those three plays and scores as many goals as the three combined, and not to Mention Andy Carol.... Thank god the deal was in place for Suarez before KD took over. I hate to see just who he would have bought in

You need to remember WHY Miereles left. It wasn't Kenny's fault...

crouchinho
      • Forum Legend - Shankly

• 42,508 posts | 2620 
      • TU TA LOUCO? FILHO DA PUTA!
      Reply #809: Jan 18, 2016 11:16:19 am
      Finally calm enough to talk about it.

The bad:

Henderson - not the worst but he'll get the most criticism from me. I get that he's a midfielder that gets up and down the pitch and has energy in abundance but the positions he took up were awful when we had the ball. He has to drop in to space and occupy the channels between the opposition attack and midfield when we're struggling to get the ball out and then between the midfield and defence when we are in their half. He didn't do that, especially when we were struggling.

How many times was Sakho looking for an outlet? Or Kolo? Or Clyne? And that's Hendo's job. He wastes so much energy being a headless chicken bombing forward but he showed no intelligence in the middle of the park throughout that. And when he did receive the ball he was hopeless. His shooting was awful, his decision making awful, his passing was awful.

And then there's his leadership. I have no doubt he should be our captain but that doesn't say much right now. This team is lacking in every department. He doesn't inspire, he doesn't motivate and he doesn't lead by action or example. He just shouts and claps. So does Emre Can, so... I was really annoyed with him this morning.

Emre Can - runs himself in to the ground after the first 30 minutes and he's buggered for the rest. His awareness is extremely poor and gets caught out so often when an option isn't given to him on a silver platter. When he receives the ball he doesn't turn and face the opposition, his first touch is always backwards and he is easily shut down by the opposition and his pass is then always forced backwards.

He's a defensive midfielder and it's clear. I thought we would have him and Lucas sitting yesterday in a deeper position but he was required to get forward and help bring the ball out but he was awful at it. He had two good chances which de Gea saved brilliantly on both occasions but that was it.

Milner - less said the better. Not good enough. Can't pass, shoot or even keep his F***ing feet. How does someone end up on their arse so often in one game every week?

Lallana - Once again extremely poor with the ball. He's been caught out playing for us and he can't hide like he did at Southampton. He had more space to do things and affect the game but now he looks lost. No closer to scoring a goal (without one in 8 months i read?) or setting his teammates up. Extremely lucky we have no depth otherwise he wouldn't play.

Mignolet - someone explain how a ball loops up and hits a crossbar but our Simon ends up on his knees? He saves the rebound if he was any decent before that.

The good:

Firmino - my MOTM for the reason he had to do the job of Milner and Lallana, and at times his midfield and even fullbacks. His workmate is phenomenal and his link up play was superb. Imagine if he had someone on his level to play football with up front. Probably the only lad to come away this past month of sh*te with credibility and it's not because he's the best of a bad lot, it's because he's actually performed and looked very good.

Like i said a few weeks back, add a striker and he will get even better. As will Coutinho. Right now he's all alone up front.

Sakho - BIG MAMA. Won everything and brought the ball out well. Paired well with Kolo.

Toure - everyone's favourite Ivorian. Playing like a 20 year old right now. Covered, tracked, tackled and booted everything that came his way.

Lucas - doubters, he has many. But he has shown once again how brilliant he is at what he does.

If we were any decent that game is over by half time. They are awful, but we aren't too good either. We need a striker very badly and some quality on the flanks. Hopefully that can paper over the cracks until the end of the season.

Jürgen totally outclassed LVG but his team let him down. We controlled the game throughout and dominated their midfield to the point where £200m of expenditure resulted in them hoofing it to Fellaini every time. We couldn't stick the ball in the net once again and it's cost us 3 points.
      sore monad
      • Forum Legend - Benitez

• 2,014 posts | 523 
      Reply #810: Jan 18, 2016 12:18:24 pm
      Finally calm enough to talk about it.

The bad:

Henderson - not the worst but he'll get the most criticism from me. I get that he's a midfielder that gets up and down the pitch and has energy in abundance but the positions he took up were awful when we had the ball. He has to drop in to space and occupy the channels between the opposition attack and midfield when we're struggling to get the ball out and then between the midfield and defence when we are in their half. He didn't do that, especially when we were struggling.

How many times was Sakho looking for an outlet? Or Kolo? Or Clyne? And that's Hendo's job. He wastes so much energy being a headless chicken bombing forward but he showed no intelligence in the middle of the park throughout that. And when he did receive the ball he was hopeless. His shooting was awful, his decision making awful, his passing was awful.

And then there's his leadership. I have no doubt he should be our captain but that doesn't say much right now. This team is lacking in every department. He doesn't inspire, he doesn't motivate and he doesn't lead by action or example. He just shouts and claps. So does Emre Can, so... I was really annoyed with him this morning.

Emre Can - runs himself in to the ground after the first 30 minutes and he's buggered for the rest. His awareness is extremely poor and gets caught out so often when an option isn't given to him on a silver platter. When he receives the ball he doesn't turn and face the opposition, his first touch is always backwards and he is easily shut down by the opposition and his pass is then always forced backwards.

He's a defensive midfielder and it's clear. I thought we would have him and Lucas sitting yesterday in a deeper position but he was required to get forward and help bring the ball out but he was awful at it. He had two good chances which de Gea saved brilliantly on both occasions but that was it.

Milner - less said the better. Not good enough. Can't pass, shoot or even keep his f**king feet. How does someone end up on their arse so often in one game every week?

Lallana - Once again extremely poor with the ball. He's been caught out playing for us and he can't hide like he did at Southampton. He had more space to do things and affect the game but now he looks lost. No closer to scoring a goal (without one in 8 months i read?) or setting his teammates up. Extremely lucky we have no depth otherwise he wouldn't play.

Mignolet - someone explain how a ball loops up and hits a crossbar but our Simon ends up on his knees? He saves the rebound if he was any decent before that.

The good:

Firmino - my MOTM for the reason he had to do the job of Milner and Lallana, and at times his midfield and even fullbacks. His workmate is phenomenal and his link up play was superb. Imagine if he had someone on his level to play football with up front. Probably the only lad to come away this past month of sh*te with credibility and it's not because he's the best of a bad lot, it's because he's actually performed and looked very good.

Like i said a few weeks back, add a striker and he will get even better. As will Coutinho. Right now he's all alone up front.

Sakho - BIG MAMA. Won everything and brought the ball out well. Paired well with Kolo.

Toure - everyone's favourite Ivorian. Playing like a 20 year old right now. Covered, tracked, tackled and booted everything that came his way.

Lucas - doubters, he has many. But he has shown once again how brilliant he is at what he does.

If we were any decent that game is over by half time. They are awful, but we aren't too good either. We need a striker very badly and some quality on the flanks. Hopefully that can paper over the cracks until the end of the season.

Jürgen totally outclassed LVG but his team let him down. We controlled the game throughout and dominated their midfield to the point where £200m of expenditure resulted in them hoofing it to Fellaini every time. We couldn't stick the ball in the net once again and it's cost us 3 points.

Think you are a bit harsh on Can, Hendo and Milner.

Yes, Can had a couple of his usual I-need-a-bit-more-time-than-I've-got moments in the first half, but he came onto a game and produced our 2 best efforts on goal.

Hendo's shooting was woeful, and Milner's delivery wasnt great, but theye both did a lot of ugly stuff that led to us bossing the game and restricting them to the hopeful long balls you mentioned.

Firmino was my MOTM as well, but he still fluffed our best chance. Why did he take a touch on that shot from Benteke that came to him about 4 yards out. Why not just poke it in first time? Commmentators were saying he thought he was offside but you play to the whistle.

I agree Firmino should have had a strike partner. To me, we should be playing 4-4-2 with him and Benteke up front. Obviously Jürgen doesnt fancy Benteke but we are crying out for goals and he is the only striker we've got. If Aston Villa found ways of getting 1 goal in 2 games out of him for 4 seasons or whatever, surely we can get more out of him than we have been. (And he is still our top scorer, even though he's not been starting.) Him and Firmino both look like they could do with a partner, so I'd put them together and give us a bit more firepower up front.
      HUYTON RED
      • Forum Legend - Shankly

• 40,176 posts | 8549 
      Reply #811: Jan 18, 2016 12:28:59 pm
      WTF?? How do you still blame him?...If he had opened his mouth earlier he would have been sacked earlier... Rock and a hard place?

Cos he's a billy bullshitter, how do you think he got the job!!
      HUYTON RED
      • Forum Legend - Shankly

• 40,176 posts | 8549 
      Reply #812: Jan 18, 2016 12:36:15 pm
      Of course not. Although there are plenty of bell whiffs on here who are.  :lmao:

That was the only time our defending let us down. From a corner - yet again!

Bang on.

Some people are so obsessed by him they can't see the wood for the trees.

Or the fact some of us are right and he's just F***ing sh*te with all the confidence of the lion out of Wizard of Oz.

F**k him off and get shut.

The contrast as Frankly has been mentioning between De Gea and the ming is frightening, in fact it's a F***ing chasm.

We need a decent keeper between our sticks soon!
      brezipool
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 9,531 posts | 1770 
      • Mon the Red Machine !
      Reply #813: Jan 18, 2016 12:38:50 pm
      robbed . shld have won at a canter.

But again, we are punished for the only real defensive mistake, their only shot on target. And obviously our poor finishing let us down again.

Obv. thing to say, but if fuk1n studger cld get his act together and get fit, we wld be smashing teams.
      crouchinho
      • Forum Legend - Shankly

• 42,508 posts | 2620 
      Reply #814: Jan 18, 2016 12:39:00 pm
      Think you are a bit harsh on Can, Hendo and Milner.

Yes, Can had a couple of his usual I-need-a-bit-more-time-than-I've-got moments in the first half, but he came onto a game and produced our 2 best efforts on goal.

Hendo's shooting was woeful, and Milner's delivery wasnt great, but theye both did a lot of ugly stuff that led to us bossing the game and restricting them to the hopeful long balls you mentioned.

Firmino was my MOTM as well, but he still fluffed our best chance. Why did he take a touch on that shot from Benteke that came to him about 4 yards out. Why not just poke it in first time? Commmentators were saying he thought he was offside but you play to the whistle.

I agree Firmino should have had a strike partner. To me, we should be playing 4-4-2 with him and Benteke up front. Obviously Jürgen doesnt fancy Benteke but we are crying out for goals and he is the only striker we've got. If Aston Villa found ways of getting 1 goal in 2 games out of him for 4 seasons or whatever, surely we can get more out of him than we have been. (And he is still our top scorer, even though he's not been starting.) Him and Firmino both look like they could do with a partner, so I'd put them together and give us a bit more firepower up front.

If those players turned out with performances like that for a team that is hoping to make top four or better, they wouldn't be playing much first team football. That's the yard stick i'm going with.
      Beerbelly
      • Banned

• 6,983 posts | 2054 
      Reply #815: Jan 18, 2016 12:42:01 pm
      Or the fact some of us are right and he's just f**king sh*te with all the confidence of the lion out of Wizard of Oz.

The contrast as Frankly has been mentioning between De Gea and the ming is frightening, in fact it's a f**king chasm.

I'm not saying he isn't replaceable or that we couldn't do with a new number 1 but every ball that ends up in the net nowadays is all Mig's fault, if you are to believe a few on here.

No, don't worry that four f**king blokes lost an aerial challenge to that bloke with a mop on his head, or where the marker for Rooney was. It's easier right now to just blame Mignolet.

As I said, eyes, woods, trees and all that...
      HUYTON RED
      • Forum Legend - Shankly

• 40,176 posts | 8549 
      Reply #816: Jan 18, 2016 12:47:12 pm
      I'm not saying he isn't replaceable or that we couldn't do with a new number 1 but every ball that ends up in the net nowadays is all Mig's fault, if you are to believe a few on here.

No, don't worry that four f**king blokes lost an aerial challenge to that bloke with a mop on his head, or where the marker for Rooney was. It's easier right now to just blame Mignolet.

As I said, eyes, woods, trees and all that...

Now maybe the four are unsettled because you know they got no faith in the keeper.

I'll burn the woods trees and all that down personally and still get shut of the ming - he's F***ing sh*te, start from there get shut of that bag of sh*te and the left-back then we'll start talking about the defence.

Say what you like watch the ming on corners he's F***ing lost with his positioning sense.

WE NEED A NEW KEEPER, PRONTO!!
      LFC Karl
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 4,930 posts | 158 
      • YNWA
      Reply #817: Jan 18, 2016 12:54:00 pm
      Think about the personalities in that 11. That there is where our problem starts and finishes. Migs, Milner, Lallana, Ibe and to a lesser extent and as good as he is in the team Hendo. They are all soft touches, nice lads, full of character, honest, wouldnt bite anyone. Lucas is typically the same, but wasnt yest.

Not one of them believes themselves to be a worldbeater or confident enough to smash someone in 2 for doing the same to a younger player. I dont want a team of scum, I do want a team that fights for the Jersey.

Bunch of Brendans!

A captain of liverpool, in that match right there.... they would grab that game by the scruff and drive those chances home.

Can or Sakho to get captain asap!

We need to do better! As my slogan says, win your individual battles and take your chances when they present themselves.

Disgusting how low our goal return is from some of these lads!
      stuey
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 36,004 posts | 3952 
      Reply #818: Jan 18, 2016 12:55:41 pm
      If there is a glimmer of optimism it is the fact that the munts will be made up with LVG and he will remain at the shithole for the foreseeable future.
      « Last Edit: Jan 18, 2016 02:18:59 pm by stuey »
      Beerbelly
      • Banned

• 6,983 posts | 2054 
      Reply #819: Jan 18, 2016 12:59:31 pm
      Now maybe the four are unsettled because you know they got no faith in the keeper.

Do me a favour.

I agree, a new number one stopper should be brought in.

Beerbelly
      • Banned

• 6,983 posts | 2054 
      Reply #820: Jan 18, 2016 01:06:32 pm
      If there is a glimmer of optimism it is the fact that the munts will be made with LVG and he will remain at the shithole for the foreseeable future.

Now that's a consolation.
      HUYTON RED
      • Forum Legend - Shankly

• 40,176 posts | 8549 
      Reply #821: Jan 18, 2016 01:07:05 pm

Well I'm currently dying of flu if that helps ;)

sore monad
      • Forum Legend - Benitez

• 2,014 posts | 523 
      Reply #822: Jan 18, 2016 01:25:57 pm
      If those players turned out with performances like that for a team that is hoping to make top four or better, they wouldn't be playing much first team football. That's the yard stick i'm going with.

Man U are hoping to make top 4 or better, and our midfielders totally dominated theirs.

The Real Donavan Ried

• 5,120 posts | 949 
      Reply #823: Jan 18, 2016 01:50:21 pm
      « Last Edit: Jan 18, 2016 02:00:28 pm by The Real Donavan Ried »
      David Wright
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 5,291 posts | 763 
      Reply #824: Jan 18, 2016 02:26:36 pm
      Needs a proper clear out, the sooner the better tbh !
      MIRO
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 12,989 posts | 3124 
      • Trust The Universe
      Reply #825: Jan 18, 2016 02:35:08 pm

The contrast as Frankly has been mentioning between De Gea and the ming is frightening, in fact it's a f**king chasm.

Yesterday .

Its seriously hurting us now with loss of points.

17 on target for us .... how many did they have ?
      crouchinho
      • Forum Legend - Shankly

• 42,508 posts | 2620 
      Reply #826: Jan 18, 2016 02:42:10 pm
      Man U are hoping to make top 4 or better, and our midfielders totally dominated theirs.

They are F***ing sh*te, too. Their midfield is awful. Ours dominating theirs says nothing.
      Poko
      • Forum Legend - Benitez

• 1,502 posts | 65 
      Reply #827: Jan 18, 2016 02:54:50 pm
      They are f**king sh*te, too. Their midfield is awful. Ours dominating theirs says nothing.

Their defense was sh*t too. We had miles of space on the flanks. Their outside backs were horrendous.

Quick Reply