Trending Topics

Next match: LFC v Brighton [Premier League] Sun 31st Mar @ 2:00 pm
      Anfield

Today is the 29th of March and on this date LFC's match record is P24 W11 D6 L7

LFC Reds Poll

Q. LFC Man of the Match?

Simon Mignolet
      44 (28.8%)
      Jon Flanagan
      39 (25.5%)
      Mamadou Sakho
      18 (11.8%)
      Kolo Toure
      0 (0%)
      Alberto Moreno
      1 (0.7%)
      Emre Can
      0 (0%)
      Jordan Henderson
      1 (0.7%)
      James Milner
      5 (3.3%)
      Lucas Leiva
      13 (8.5%)
      Adam Lallana
      2 (1.3%)
      Roberto Firmino
      2 (1.3%)
      Jordon Ibe
      0 (0%)
      Christian Benteke
      0 (0%)
      Joe Allen
      28 (18.3%)

Total Members Voted: 148

Voting closed: Jan 30, 2016 10:42:26 pm

Liverpool 0-1 Stoke (1-1 aet) [6-5 on pens]: In game and Post Match Wemberleeee!

Read 41480 times
      David Wright
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 5,235 posts | 752 
      Re: Liverpool 0-1 Stoke (1-1 aet) [6-5 on pens]: In game and Post Match Wemberleeee!
      Reply #1150: Jan 27, 2016 12:27:33 am
      Think Lucas deserves the captaincy tbh, although gave Motm to Flannagan, for the way he played considering the long lay off after his injury.
      bigears
      • Forum Legend - Dalglish

• 6,125 posts | 287 
      • My bird looks great in red
      Re: Liverpool 0-1 Stoke (1-1 aet) [6-5 on pens]: In game and Post Match Wemberleeee!
      Reply #1151: Jan 27, 2016 12:27:45 am
      Mignolet MOTM.........you couldn't make it up!!!
      Made up for the lad he seemed inspired tonight - hold on to that one Simon.
      Him and Pirlo saved our Bacon butties , wouldn't believe it only for  i seen it for meself .

crouchinho
      • Forum Legend - Shankly

• 42,508 posts | 2620 
      • TU TA LOUCO? FILHO DA PUTA!
      Reply #1152: Jan 27, 2016 12:30:01 am
      Think Lucas deserves the captaincy tbh,

Of course he should. Or at the very least a vice captain.

But the powers that were decided to try and sell him instead.
      bigears

• 6,125 posts | 287 
      • My bird looks great in red
      Reply #1153: Jan 27, 2016 12:30:12 am
      Think Lucas deserves the captaincy tbh, although gave Motm to Flannagan, for the way he played considering the long lay off after his injury.
      He was tired around the 70 min mark , i like the lad but he's a bit away from the mark yet . He's a determined player though .

wellbuilt
      • Forum Legend - Benitez

• 1,154 posts | 138 
      Reply #1154: Jan 27, 2016 12:35:26 am
      very happy that were in the final, my nerves were shot to pieces from watching that match.

performance wise i thought we were awful

but so happy were in the final
      mcarz
      • Forum Legend - Paisley

• 17,179 posts | 1355 
      Reply #1155: Jan 27, 2016 01:19:37 am

I agree mate. The only thing I question now is if Klopp sees anything in Henderson off and/or on the pitch to suggest it may be too much for him and takes the captaincy away from him. I guess you have to be 100% certain you're doing the right thing when contemplating taking the captaincy away from somebody. I've always admired Houllier for the decision to give it to Gerrard despite Hyypia's ability as captain.
      JD
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 39,529 posts | 6887 
      Reply #1156: Jan 27, 2016 01:40:20 am
      I didn't vote Flanagan but gives me a warm glow that so many have.

On this, an international forum, that people recognise the importance of a local player recovering from a long lay off.

Fair play.
      Frankly, Mr Shankly
      Reply #1157: Jan 27, 2016 03:19:30 am
      I agree mate. The only thing I question now is if Klopp sees anything in Henderson off and/or on the pitch to suggest it may be too much for him and takes the captaincy away from him. I guess you have to be 100% certain you're doing the right thing when contemplating taking the captaincy away from somebody. I've always admired Houllier for the decision to give it to Gerrard despite Hyypia's ability as captain.

Remember that well - think it was it before a UEFA Cup game in Slovenia in October 2003. Remember being on school holiday with family and reading it in the sports pages! Such a defining decision.

We'll see if Henderson has what it takes in the remaining months. The jury is out it's fair to say.
      Beerbelly
      • Banned

• 6,983 posts | 2054 
      Reply #1158: Jan 27, 2016 03:35:00 am
      For all the flack he's been given on here, Mignolet has served up some poetic justice in our most important game thus far this season.

Make no bones about it, had we lost on penalties it would have been Mignolet's fault but he produced two excellent saves and deserves his plaudits in the spotlight.

Great penalty takers (Can apart), loved Lucas's who smashed the ball back into the net again showing 'character' that this team lacks.

The game itself, was another abject disappointment. For all those starry eyed after the thriller and celebrations at Carrow Rd, promoting it as the game that will turn our season round, were only kidding themselves.

Normal service resumed and we were f**king awful. The match lacked quality and the only team who offered a smidgen of that was f**king Stoke - of all teams! From the moment the first whistle went, we never looked like scoring, it was sterile turgid stuff.

Up until ET, Sahko was my MoTM. The aerial challenges he made, the vital blocks and the work he got through shored up a soft defense. Other than that our midfield was dreadful, glad to see Henderson getting hooked for doing very little. Firmino - yep still can't see what all the fuss is about, Lallana again crap.

I found myself screaming for the intro of Benteke and think he's now the avenue Klopp should be exploring. All this false 9 bollox isn't convincing and it's time we use him better, until the summer at least. He actually looked okay in patches and if nothing else offered us a presence up front.

Stoke IMO, were the better team on the night compared to our lot, and it took the lottery of penalties to beat them.  Let's hope we don't embarrass ourselves in the final against better opposition.

Wembley here we come!

:scarf:

Migs again, first shot on target first f**king goal, does this man ever save a f**king shot.

He was putting his hand in the air before he even hit the floor appealing for the f**king offside!!! P**ck, play to the whistle and come out to his feet you useless player

:lmao:
      « Last Edit: Jan 27, 2016 05:48:03 am by Beerbelly »
      rossyred

• 9,096 posts | 1636 
      Reply #1159: Jan 27, 2016 06:15:21 am
      Get the f**k in!! We're off to Wembley!!!  Tonight was just about getting through and we did it. Get the f**k in lads! Absolutely buzzing!!!!

I will, as always, talk about the game though.

We were sh*t tonight, very sh*t actually. We couldn't string two passes together and the rare times we did go into stokes half we couldn't break their two walls of four down. They were very organised and well drilled and we were clueless at times.

Mignolet - I actually thought he had a very good game even before the shoot out. He came out and caught/punched the ball a lot better tonight and made one or two nice stops. He was the hero in the shootout too. I'm probably his biggest critic but fair play to the lad, faultless tonight.

Flanno - surprised to see so many votes for motm. Thought he had a shocker. I love flanno to bits but he couldn't pass a ball straight tonight. He's bound to be rusty though. It was also very noticeable just how often Clyne gets forward. We had no width or options on the right tonight.

Sakho - very stray passes as usual but defended well for most parts. He was trying his best to get the crowd going which was boss to see as well.

Toure - same really, defended pretty well for most parts.

Moreno - Wasnt his best game tonight. Quite wasteful on the ball too at times.

Can - thought he was awful. He lost possession too many times. To be fair to him though he works hard and he's constantly sprinting and closing space down but he was terrible on the ball tonight. Unlucky not to score though.

Hendo - worst player on the park.

Lucas - my motm. Got stuck in and did a great job at CB when toure went off too. Was great to see him smash his pen in a second time once his first shot hit the back of the net and then put a fist up to those stoke cu*ts behind the goal. Him and sakho were the only ones up for it tonight.

Lallana - sh*te as usual. Offers absolutely nothing. Bored of watching him do turn after turn after turn after turn.

Milner - a bit better than Lallana but also offers little for us when we attack.

Firmino - wasn't in the game much but I'm gonna put that down on the midfields performance tonight. Lucas aside, they were all sh*te.
      Flannagan gave ball away to much? but wonder boy firminho woeful gamr was the midfields fault he was awful and gave the ball away constantly
      stuey
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 35,969 posts | 3945 
      Reply #1160: Jan 27, 2016 08:24:36 am

Exactly what I was inferring.
      HamannsTheMan
      • Forum Legend - Fagan

• 3,030 posts | 1973 
      Reply #1161: Jan 27, 2016 08:44:00 am
      Flannagan gave ball away to much? but wonder boy firminho woeful gamr was the midfields fault he was awful and gave the ball away constantly

I agree, firmino was poor when he did become involved, but be was isolated because the four midfielders behind him were that bad last night.

Flanno did ok last night but was rusty which is expected. Doesn't deserve MOTM just because he has been out for 18months. Can't shout enough how much I love flanno by the way, but he wasn't great last night.
      MarkMitt
      • Forum Legend - Fagan

• 2,800 posts | 337 
      • Give it your best every time!
      Reply #1162: Jan 27, 2016 09:36:04 am
      I agree, firmino was poor when he did become involved, but be was isolated because the four midfielders behind him were that bad last night.

Flanno did ok last night but was rusty which is expected. Doesn't deserve MOTM just because he has been out for 18months. Can't shout enough how much I love flanno by the way, but he wasn't great last night.

Considering his lengthy lay off, he barely put a foot wrong. Bullied a couple of times off the ball by Arnautovic and showed he was tired by 70 minutes, but isn't that to be expected? Great showing by Flannagan IMO and shows how he's been missed.

HScRed1
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 20,172 posts | 4401 
      Reply #1163: Jan 27, 2016 09:37:32 am
      Bearing in mind the injuries and the number of games these players are having to play, the imbalanced nature of the squad and we still managed to grind out a win. The never say die attitude of Jürgen is rubbing off on the players.

That's got to be a major plus going forward.

Henderson and Can in midfield don't have the creativity to make it work and I doubt they ever will, combine that with Lucas who is spent after 60mins because he can't play 2 games a week it's no wonder we look so flat in midfield.

Long term I'm sure quite a few players won't be here not because they don't have the desire or character but they are technically limited.

bmck

• 9,404 posts | 1611 
      • YNWA
      Reply #1164: Jan 27, 2016 09:45:49 am
      Sakho was immense again, Stoke had the big guns up top last night, and put a lot of high balls into the box and he was aggressive and attacked everything. My MOTM.

Great to be able to look back on the night knowing we're though :) Some cool penoes, fair play to the lads. Big Ben, very calm. Migs did well in the shootout, he's a decent shot stopper ... still think we need a new no1 in nets, but let him soak up some praise for last night.

Well done Jürgen. Through to first final already. Hope we get Everton, go on to beat them and claim some silverware !! :)
      brezipool
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 9,457 posts | 1735 
      • Mon the Red Machine !
      Reply #1165: Jan 27, 2016 09:50:36 am
      Superb, cant be arsed directing the game, stoke where better but we hung in there and kept trying.

Flanno my MOTM was superb on his 1st start back. So much better at defending than both our other FB's can see him starting plenty games now.

Well chuffed for Allen & Mings, 2 players who take way too much sh1te of certain fans.

All the subs made a difference.

Wemberley here we come.
      ruthcity

• 6,868 posts | 1465 
      Reply #1166: Jan 27, 2016 09:55:09 am
      Stevie: Germans don't miss from 12 yards.
      Can's miss was one of the very few German penalty misses I've seen.
      Now bring on the blues!
      HamannsTheMan
      • Forum Legend - Fagan

• 3,030 posts | 1973 
      Reply #1167: Jan 27, 2016 10:01:10 am
      Considering his lengthy lay off, he barely put a foot wrong. Bullied a couple of times off the ball by Arnautovic and showed he was tired by 70 minutes, but isn't that to be expected? Great showing by Flannagan IMO and shows how he's been missed.

Considering he has been out for a year and a half then he put in a great shift yes. 105 minutes so fair play to the lad. He wasn't our best performer though which is my point. Not disputing the effort he put in, but performance wise he was average.
      heimdall
      • Forum Legend - Paisley

• 13,818 posts | 2724 
      Reply #1168: Jan 27, 2016 10:08:47 am
      It was a crap team display and again highlighted the lack of quality in midfield. You can see that there is a hell of a player in Can he just needs some more awareness and to get more in tune with the rest of the players although how anyone gets in tune with Henderson and Lallana is anybodys guess. Henderson has never ever impressed me and at the moment he's worse than normal, we really need to get rid in the summer. Another one for the exit has to be Lallana, offers absolutely f all. Milner is ok as a back up player, DM but again offers very little going forwards. We desperately need more creativity in midfield, that is the core problem.
      Great to see Flanno back in action a defence comprised of Clyne and Flanno will offer much more solidity at the back plus I believe more going forwards.
      fishpie
      • Forum Legend - Fagan

• 3,570 posts | 212 
      Reply #1169: Jan 27, 2016 10:10:14 am
      We did play pretty poor in areas or lacked cutting edge upfront, but their goal shouldn't of stood in the first place, plus I'm extra specially pleased because of that pleb Mark Hughes's attitude in the post match interview saying it's perfectly ok for an offside goal to count because it's allowed if you play better. I already can't stand the tight suit wearing knobhead as it is.
      At times it didn't look like we were playing at home, I'd swap Flanno over the the left and have Clyne on, I wouldn't play Can unless desperate or always as a sub.
      Instead of 2 Cbs, I'd like 3, 5 at the back. It's one of the only ways to try to fix the leaks in defence, I know this game wasn't about defensive errors but we'll need to be tight when Man City play us. Not park the bus, added insurance for when the wing backs bomb up the pitch. There were times last night when the whole area on our flanks was open to run into.

Few months into the job and already in a final, that's pretty amazing really. :)

TonioLerouge
      • Forum Legend - Benitez

• 1,170 posts | 59 
      Reply #1170: Jan 27, 2016 10:11:47 am

He may not have had a great game for his 2013-14 standard (of course he is bit rusty), but voted for him because it was certainly an excellent one for the standard of people returning from long injuries, and because of the contrast he offers compared to our other full backs.
      To resume he is the only one we have who seem to have mastered the art of defensive positionning. Moreno (especially) and even Clyne (to a lesser extent) should watch vids of Flanagan. He's highlighting what is lacking in their game with every move.
      waltonl4
      • Forum Legend - Shankly

• 37,585 posts | 7139 
      Reply #1171: Jan 27, 2016 10:21:26 am
      Considering he has been out for a year and a half then he put in a great shift yes. 105 minutes so fair play to the lad. He wasn't our best performer though which is my point. Not disputing the effort he put in, but performance wise he was average.

the thread is for "Man of the Match" and he definitely manned up.You simply cant take away he has been out for the best part of two years and performed really well his "performance" level will improve now with game time
      HScRed1
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 20,172 posts | 4401 
      Reply #1172: Jan 27, 2016 10:30:58 am
      We did play pretty poor in areas or lacked cutting edge upfront, but their goal shouldn't of stood in the first place, plus I'm extra specially pleased because of that pleb Mark Hughes's attitude in the post match interview saying it's perfectly ok for an offside goal to count because it's allowed if you play better. I already can't stand the tight suit wearing knobhead as it is.
      At times it didn't look like we were playing at home, I'd swap Flanno over the the left and have Clyne on, I wouldn't play Can unless desperate or always as a sub.
      Instead of 2 Cbs, I'd like 3, 5 at the back. It's one of the only ways to try to fix the leaks in defence, I know this game wasn't about defensive errors but we'll need to be tight when Man City play us. Not park the bus, added insurance for when the wing backs bomb up the pitch. There were times last night when the whole area on our flanks was open to run into.

Few months into the job and already in a final, that's pretty amazing really. :)

Moreno aside the 3 other defenders were fine which bearing in mind against a duo like Walters and Crouch is no small feat.
      The issue was our midfield.......they were non existent when they were not giving the ball away they offered minimal protection to the back 4. The midfield battle was re soundly won by Stoke.

I can't understand all the praise for Lucas I thought he was terrible didn't break up play at all. After 60min he was treading in treacle and only improved once he moved into the back 4.

Quick Reply