Trending Topics

Next match: LFC v Spurs [Premier League] Sun 5th May @ 4:30 pm
      Anfield

Today is the 27th of April and on this date LFC's match record is P29 W13 D5 L11

LFC Reds Poll

Q. LFC Man of the Match?

Simon Mignolet
      0 (0%)
      Nathaniel Clyne
      0 (0%)
      Steven Caulker
      2 (2.2%)
      Dejan Lovren
      2 (2.2%)
      Brad Smith
      4 (4.3%)
      Cameron Brannagan
      41 (44.1%)
      Kevin Stewart
      3 (3.2%)
      Joe Allen
      14 (15.1%)
      Joao Teixeira
      24 (25.8%)
      Jordon Ibe
      1 (1.1%)
      Christian Benteke
      1 (1.1%)
      Sheyi Ojo
      0 (0%)
      Jerome Sinclair
      0 (0%)
      Jose Enrique
      1 (1.1%)

Total Members Voted: 88

Voting closed: Feb 03, 2016 07:42:00 pm

Liverpool 0-0 West Ham: (FA Cup R4) In game and Post Match review

Read 29810 times
      bmck
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 9,547 posts | 1667 
      • YNWA
      Re: Liverpool 0-0 West Ham: (FA Cup R4) In game and Post Match review
      Reply #506: Jan 30, 2016 09:07:32 pm

I found Tex's performance a bit meh, nothing bad but no stand out moments either. I can see him gone next season.

I hadn't seen much of him, thought did OK vs Exeter, but wasn't great today. Can get moved aside to easy, seemed to spend a bit too long on the ball sometimes, maybe overcomplicated and his chance/shot was poor.  Been at the club a while, needs to do better when given a chance, and yeah could easily be gone come end of season
      Would think he'll get another chance in the away leg, and maybe in some Europa games too (though remains to be seen the strength of side Klopp plays in those) but his clock is ticking..
      6stringer
      • Forum Legend - Benitez

• 2,051 posts | 517 
      Reply #507: Jan 30, 2016 09:07:35 pm
      Before anyone asks I'm the one who gave Allen MOTM...
      I thought he played solid in midfield and got forward when he could, just a pity he was more on the left than through the middle.
      Considering the stick he's had on here(myself included) i'm sure he felt proud today leading out the team as captain for the game and he threw himself in to every challenge which is good enough for me..he's definately a different player under Klopp.

Thought Branagan played well too, unlucky with that shot in the first half.. and he kept a cool head on the ball which is great for his confidence..
      Benchteke needs to stay on the f**kin bench as far as i'm concerned...

If West Ham play as bad as that in the replay we're still in with a chance but we should have finished it today..

We've got one hell of month of fixtures in Feb so that run out today for the young ones will feed their hunger....

David Wright
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 5,297 posts | 764 
      Reply #508: Jan 30, 2016 09:20:33 pm
      On the positive side, still in three cup competitions.
      KopiteLuke
      • Forum Legend - Shankly

• 21,056 posts | 3784 
      Reply #509: Jan 30, 2016 09:23:53 pm
      On the positive side, still in three cup competitions.

Exactly, pretty good considering we're going into Feb.

I thought we actually unlucky to already be in the next round, again only surrendering one shot on target, that's really organised play and something Jürgen hasn't been given nearly enough credit for considering the revolving door at CB, the injury crisis and the total disarray we are at set-plays. If we could just take our open play stinginess into our set-plays we'd be extremely difficult to score against even with a 50/50 shot stopper in the goal.
      alsmal
      • Forum Legend - Benitez

• 1,539 posts | 34 
      • Right or wrong, its MY opinion.
      Reply #510: Jan 30, 2016 09:40:27 pm
      Once again it looks like we've signed another expensive mistake in Big Ben.
      The only 'real' striker we have fit and he isn't grasping that opportunity. No doubt we'll be offloading him at the end of the season to West Ham or Stoke for £12M if anyone will take him.
      verde-rubro
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 2,000 posts | 223 
      Reply #511: Jan 30, 2016 09:42:35 pm
      I hadn't seen much of him, thought did OK vs Exeter, but wasn't great today. Can get moved aside to easy, seemed to spend a bit too long on the ball sometimes, maybe overcomplicated and his chance/shot was poor.  Been at the club a while, needs to do better when given a chance, and yeah could easily be gone come end of season
      Would think he'll get another chance in the away leg, and maybe in some Europa games too (though remains to be seen the strength of side Klopp plays in those) but his clock is ticking..

what is lacking from his play is for klopp to give him 5-6 games on a roll
      bigears
      • Forum Legend - Dalglish

• 6,125 posts | 287 
      • My bird looks great in red
      Reply #512: Jan 30, 2016 09:53:39 pm
      I thought the young lads done well tonight , Brannigan in particular with some deadly passes and his free kicks as well . Tex making himself busy too and in all fairness considering West Ham had their best on our young lads were no mugs .
      Son Of A Gun

• 5,191 posts | 1274 
      Reply #513: Jan 30, 2016 10:04:35 pm
      Was in the Main Stand tonight, writing this in the North Wester Weatherspoons - very surprised to see Teixera leading this poll. He was getting some grief early on for not pressing and working hard enough - and sure enough Klopp had words with him at the side.

I personally thought Allen was excellent - very tenacious and kept the ball brilliantly. His work with Stewart and Brannagan was excellent, who I was delighted with tonight. Guys I was next too agreed with me that, with an actual goalscorer, we would have won 2-0 at least.

Goodperformance, the defence were excellent and the midfield showed a lot of promise. But as ever, all wrath remained with Benteke - as frustrating watching him in the flesh. He had some nice flick ons and touches but he didn't have ONE shot on goal. It is just not good enough, but a lot of promise from the other lads.
      FL Red
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 31,318 posts | 6380 
      Reply #514: Jan 30, 2016 10:52:49 pm
      Crap performance, a lot of movement coming to nothing from our collection of unimpressive offensive players. Ibe and Benteke failed to impress. Teixeira wasn't too bad, Brannagan ok, thought Joe Allen was our brightest and hardest worker but overall I was pretty disgusted with that brand of football. And for it we've won the right to play another game, yay.
      KopiteLuke
      • Forum Legend - Shankly

• 21,056 posts | 3784 
      Reply #515: Jan 30, 2016 10:56:55 pm
      Crap performance, a lot of movement coming to nothing from our collection of unimpressive offensive players. Ibe and Benteke failed to impress. Teixeira wasn't too bad, Brannagan ok, thought Joe Allen was our brightest and hardest worker but overall I was pretty disgusted with that brand of football. And for it we've won the right to play another game, yay.

We've won a rest for the players that didn't play too though. I know it's small consolation but if we get a result against Leicester it could easily be down to being able to field these players tonight.

If you look at the two biggest disappointments they were supposedly the senior players so it's harsh to judge the young lads worse because they had to play with a striker who simply doesn't function and Ibe who has completely lost the plot. He's back to step-over after step-over, running and running without purpose and when he does pass the weight of it is nearly always wrong. Really poor performance by Jordon tonight who I thought was lucky to get as long as he did. Most certainly shouldn't be in our best XI right now.

Allen has to be pushing his way in there and surely there's room for a Smith or a Brannagan, if we can squeeze either in then we might actually have someone who can deliver a set-piece. Their deliveries are so much better than what we've been used to.
      Ribapuru
      • Banned

• 10,843 posts | 1371 
      Reply #516: Jan 30, 2016 11:04:50 pm
      It is clear the youngsters are as good as the senior squad when you consider Benteke, Ibe, Moreno, Henderson are in the senior squad and Smith, Tex, Brannagan, Ojo are in the youngsters.. that is what I was saying before the game.. small gap in quality.
      IrishRed_IO
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 5,483 posts | 343 
      • Formerly InertObject
      Reply #517: Jan 30, 2016 11:22:42 pm
      Personally, thought Brannagan and Pirlo had great games. Ibe was very poor and Benteke failed to impress.
      Beerbelly
      • Banned

• 6,983 posts | 2054 
      Reply #518: Jan 30, 2016 11:53:51 pm
      I think that was the best team performance we've played for 4-5 games or so. In itself, that's a sad indictment for our "first teamers" even though it was far from a vintage performance.

Again, similar to the first team we lacked it in the final third, mainly due to the final ball in and in some cases it was a simple pass with too much weight on it. We had a couple of chances which their keeper pulled off some decent saves to.

I think though, overall you can't fault this team performance too much. I thought Brannagan and Stewart were quite good as they actually were able to do the basics right; in contrast to the midfield performance we saw at Stoke. They found each-other and other team mates with their passes, they had good movement, were in the tackle and got back and covered well. I think the first teamers were probably knackered and have been for a while but these kids got us back to basics and we looked better for it.

I think on the balance of play we were the better team and the young lads can hold their heads high. Also, Caulker looked okay too, made a couple of good blocks. I think Allen should have played behind Benteke instead of Texeira (sP?), but other than that I'm not disheartened by what I saw. I don't think any of these kids look that special enough in that if we had proper quality ahead of them they wouldn't get too much of a look in. But with this current squad the way it is, one or two could push for a place in the remainder of the season.

They did well. Good job. Shame we've got a replay to add to the congestive fixture list.
      Beerbelly
      • Banned

• 6,983 posts | 2054 
      Reply #519: Jan 31, 2016 12:13:42 am
      I found Tex's performance a bit meh, nothing bad but no stand out moments either. I can see him gone next season.

Have to agree.

It must be the Latin-ess of his name as to why people make such a fuss.

HScRed1
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 20,187 posts | 4404 
      Reply #520: Jan 31, 2016 12:26:00 am
      Oh and which ever f**ker thought it was a good idea that Enrique takes the free kick at the end WTF!!
      verde-rubro
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 2,000 posts | 223 
      Reply #521: Jan 31, 2016 01:03:57 am
      Code: [Select]
      Is it just me or was this one of the most baffling subs ever?

It's late in the game and we are drawing (I could understand it if we were 1-0 up). Also, a draw is not ideal as we don't really want a replay. We haven't been under any huge pressure so a defensive sub (FB on for AM) makes no sense. Teixeira is havign a good game and has forced a couple of good saves from their keeper this half. All in all ....... WHY???  :confused:
      The Real Donavan Ried

• 5,120 posts | 949 
      Reply #522: Jan 31, 2016 02:07:43 am
      Benteke: Poor again and his confidence slump continues. Obviously a good player who has the potential to develop into a top one, but unfortunately he and we have allowed a situation to develop where he is a shadow of what he is capable of. 5/10

I don't even want to utter his name anymore. I believe I have used every word invented to describe utterly inept this player is. Said it then, say it now, should never have been bought. No longer care if we even have to pay another team just to get rid of him. No one can any longer make any excuses for him. This is almost Robbie Keane all over again. The only difference here is that Keane work hard for the team every game. Just absolutely sick of seeing him now, and should he score some of you here will be hailing it as the second coming instead of realizing that he should still go. :mad: sad, really sad
      Vicks86
      • Forum Legend - Fagan

• 3,635 posts | 273 
      Reply #523: Jan 31, 2016 02:22:25 am
      3 games vs this lot this season and we still havent scored!
      Son Of A Gun

• 5,191 posts | 1274 
      Reply #524: Jan 31, 2016 06:45:19 am
      As far as I'm concerned after watching highlights, Teixera must be the most overrated youngster ever. How folk are rating him so highly is weird. He will head down the Pacheco/Suso route I think - Allen genuinely looked like Pirlo in comparison, and he worked a lot lot harder than Teixera who is to be questioned in that area definitely.
      carragerrard
      • Forum Legend - Fagan

• 3,584 posts | 94 
      Reply #525: Jan 31, 2016 07:58:26 am
      I missed the last 20 mins, so I cannot comment on those
       for most of the time I watched, the kids controlled the game with Brannagan standing out
      expected more from all the so called 1st.teamers,  clyne, Ibe , benteke looked like they are the lads given a chance
      Benteke looked   himself , I mean he never looked like taking the few chances he had, to be fair these were really a couple (at least for 70 minutes I watched
       Ibe had a sh*t game himself , as nearly always trying to play all by himself ,most of the time losing the ball
       all in all the young lads did well , IMHO Brannagan is far more a good player than Texeira , and for me he (brannagan) is ready  push for a place in the ''senior'' squad
        the worst thing from this is that we have another game to play, and was seeing ssn , if we go ( as we all hope) al the way in all cups  , without replays we have 32 more games to play in the rest of the season
        YNWA

MIRO
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 12,989 posts | 3124 
      • Trust The Universe
      Reply #526: Jan 31, 2016 08:50:07 am
      I think that was the best team performance we've played for 4-5 games or so.
      In itself, that's a sad indictment for our "first teamers" even though it was far from a vintage performance.

This.
      ruthcity

• 6,937 posts | 1479 
      Reply #527: Jan 31, 2016 09:55:21 am
      Generally well played from the back to midfield. My only lament is that in the final third, we did not play the ball in from the wings early enough.

Firmino's second goal in 4-5 vs Norwich, Adam Lallana played the ball in early. In BR's title charge year, we used to do that often.

I always feel we'd create more concrete chances if we play the ball in early.
      bigmick
      • Forum Legend - Paisley

• 10,078 posts | 2767 
      Reply #528: Jan 31, 2016 10:03:22 am
      I think with Teixera it's worth a little bit of context. Yes he's a good footballer, yes he has the silky touches etc but is he 23 years old? Compare him to the young fella at Tottenham, the one we were going to sign but wouldn't stump up 5 million quid for (F***** if I can remember his name) and he's 19 years old. THAT is the standard if you want to play for a top team (and I hope we all aspire to be one of those).

He did do some nice stuff, but the one occasion when he really had the opportunity to open up the opposition he fluffed the through ball (the one where he then pretended that Song had fouled him. He hadn't). He had two chances to win the game with shots and yes he hit the target, but where was the feint to shoot and then the calm dink? Really top young players do stuff like that, and I don't think this lad is quite in that bracket.

Then when folk compare him to Ibe it is for me like comparing chalk and cheese. It's a tools question, in that it's very easy to see with Ibe that he has everything you need to be a top player in his position, no handicaps to overcome. By that I mean he has pace, power, can go both sides, can hit it off both feet and has the physicality to become a bit of a monster. In Teixera's case he is as physically imposing as he is ever going to be. There's never going to be any pace to get him out of a tight spot, there's never going to be the body strength to hold off a Kouyate (who again was excellent before he got injured) and there's never going to be the running power to go box to box.

So we have to hope he becomes a David Silva, a Mezut Ozil, a Luis Garcia, a Gianfranco Zola. That's how good you have to be when you are physically dominated, and I'm pretty sure the Tex isn't in that bracket. Equally, it's probably telling that even though he has only months of his contract left to run, we haven't been to the best of my knowledge knocked over in the rush of teams looking to steal him for a bid of say 3 million quid (which almost certainly we'd take I should think).

That's not to say he cannot make it, not at all. I think though those clamouring for his inclusion in the first eleven now and then listing players he could replace at the drop of a hat would in all likelihood be the first ones turning on him when he got found out. He's not ready, arguably he never will be, but he certainly isn't as of now IMHO.   

Quick Reply