Trending Topics

Next match: LFC v Spurs [Premier League] Sun 5th May @ 4:30 pm
      Anfield

Today is the 29th of April and on this date LFC's match record is P29 W11 D6 L12

The Summer Clearout and Rebuilding the Squad

Read 34622 times
      Del Boca Vista
      • Forum Legend - Fagan

• 3,006 posts | 208 
      • do do do
      Re: The Summer Clearout and Rebuilding the Squad
      Reply #184: Apr 29, 2016 07:42:55 am
      Buy
      GK - Ter Stegen  - 20-25mil , a 25Mil LB , Mario Gotze - 25-30mil ,Striker - Lacazzeti - 25mil = total roughly 120 Mil with fee etc

Sell
      Skrtel - 8-10mil
      Bogdan - 2mil
      Benteke (if JK dont want to play him) - 25mil
      Lucas - 8- 10 mil
      Allen - 10 mil
      Henderson - 15-20 mil
      Anyone who's deal has ran out we let go so wages off the books, Enreque, kolo etc

so our central midfielders will be Emre Can, Marko Grujic, James Milner and Kevin Stewart?
      RobieSlick
      • Forum Legend - Fagan

• 2,758 posts | 259 
      Reply #185: Apr 29, 2016 10:44:14 am
      Why really would we sell Lucas, Allen and Hendo..we are trying to build a team and have quality depth.

BTW Pep already said he wants Ter Stegen and undoubtedly he will get him no matter the cost.

So, you consider Henderson and Pirlo a quality depth? Pirlo is slightly better than Henderson but Henderson needs to go. Quality depth would be the one where when we make a change it actually means something.
      srslfc
      • Forum Legend - Shankly

• 32,257 posts | 4933 
      Reply #186: Apr 29, 2016 10:52:56 am
      When people start talking about selling Lucas, Hendo and Allen without buying anyone in to replace them you know not to take them seriously.
      what-a-hit-son
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 16,500 posts | 4839 
      • t: @MrPrice1979 i: @klmprice101518
      Reply #187: Apr 29, 2016 11:09:03 am
      he is nott telling them how to stay calm when in the lead, the basics of defending or being a calming influence on the pitch. but im sure hes a giggle around the squad so lets not get better for the sake of the jokes he brings  :mad:

Who mentioned not getting better and who mentioned jokes?
      what-a-hit-son
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 16,500 posts | 4839 
      • t: @MrPrice1979 i: @klmprice101518
      Reply #188: Apr 29, 2016 01:03:32 pm
      s@int
      • Forum Legend - Paisley

• 14,987 posts | 2282 
      Reply #189: Apr 29, 2016 01:09:15 pm
      I think a lot depends on what our ambitions are for next season. If we want to challenge for top 4 and maybe win a cup, we don't really need to strengthen too much.  A new GK, CB, Midfield player and a winger and we are probably good to go. Maybe a striker too if we find a buyer for Benteke.

If we are serious about a title challenge however I think we would need better quality in midfield (so at least another new midfielder)  a full back and an Attacking Midfielder in addition to the ones previously mentioned.

7 players is a lot but we have a lot of players who either don't fit our system and style or simply aren't good enough.

So a top 4 challenge it is then :D   
      bazspeedman
      • Forum Legend - Paisley

• 15,822 posts | 2455 
      Reply #190: Apr 29, 2016 01:10:23 pm
      I echo this. I would love to bring Kolo back for another season. Not a bad backup CB at all in my opinion.

This.

Kolo still has another season in him.
      AZPatriot
      • Forum Legend - Dalglish

• 9,944 posts | 1759 
      Reply #191: Apr 29, 2016 03:24:46 pm
      So, you consider Henderson and Pirlo a quality depth? Pirlo is slightly better than Henderson but Henderson needs to go. Quality depth would be the one where when we make a change it actually means something.

Yes if those 3 were coming off the bench I would consider our bench has been strengthened quite a bit considering right now our bench is Caulker, Stewart, Chirivella.
      fields of anny rd
      • Forum Legend - Paisley

• 17,663 posts | 1961 
      Reply #192: Apr 29, 2016 03:57:28 pm
      Lallana, Ibe, Allen, Ballotelli and Markovic.

Think those could all be on their way out.
      AZPatriot

• 9,944 posts | 1759 
      Reply #193: Apr 29, 2016 04:05:32 pm
      Lallana, Ibe, Allen, Ballotelli and Markovic.

Think those could all be on their way out.

You really think Lallana is going to be let go?...Personally I think he is one of Jürgen's favorite players, TAW was even talking the other day about a new contract.
      kookkai
      • Forum Jamie Redknapp

• 312 posts |
      Reply #194: Apr 29, 2016 04:34:57 pm
      I don't think we need clear-out(s)... The way to go is to maintain the current team, let go the unused players such as Bogdan, Balotelli, Wisdom, Enrique & most likely one between Toure & Skrtel.

The'll be plenty of matches, plenty of injuries & suspensions.

We just need to add 3-4 World Class talents to the current squad (GK, LB, DM &  ST).

Rebuilding with 7-8players will put us in the same position. No matter how good those players are, they will need some time to bed-in anyway. We can't afford to be effected by this adapting process while letting go the players who already showed some improvements and showed they can play at the highest level this season.

So it is better for us to maintain the current set of players who already adapted to Juergen's style of play & work ethics.
      wellbuilt
      • Forum Legend - Benitez

• 1,154 posts | 138 
      Reply #195: Apr 29, 2016 06:53:13 pm
      Who mentioned not getting better and who mentioned jokes?
      giving him a contract would stop us from getting better as he is not good enough and doesn't challenge the poorer defenders who are already ahead of him.

i mentioned the jokes as that is the impression i am given about him from what i can see

wellbuilt
      • Forum Legend - Benitez

• 1,154 posts | 138 
      Reply #196: Apr 29, 2016 07:02:36 pm
      i would rather a mass clearout this summer and a rebuild rather than it happening like it has done for past few seasons where there has been a turn around of about 4-5 in and 4-5 out.

definite out (i hope) - Balotelli, Benteke, Skrtel, Enrique, Kolo, Sinclair, Bogdan, Caulker, LLori, Tiexeira, Lucas, Wisdom, Alberto, Sakho & Ian Ayre

closer to out than in - Markovic, Ibe, Lovren, Mignolet, Allen

in - Goal Keeper, Left Back, 2 X Centre Back, 2 Midfielders, 1 Attacker/Striker

AZPatriot

• 9,944 posts | 1759 
      Reply #197: Apr 29, 2016 07:18:18 pm
      i would rather a mass clearout this summer and a rebuild rather than it happening like it has done for past few seasons where there has been a turn around of about 4-5 in and 4-5 out.

definite out (i hope) - Balotelli, Benteke, Skrtel, Enrique, Kolo, Sinclair, Bogdan, Caulker, LLori, Tiexeira, Lucas, Wisdom, Alberto, Sakho & Ian Ayre

closer to out than in - Markovic, Ibe, Lovren, Mignolet, Allen

in - Goal Keeper, Left Back, 2 X Centre Back, 2 Midfielders, 1 Attacker/Striker

I think your numbers are on on the Definite outs except for Lucas who I doubt is going anywhere,,,we will see on Sahko

Why you want to just dump Markovic (who should fit the high pace style) and Lovren (Who has looked so much better) and Allen (who would be fantastic) from the bench is beyond me and probably Jürgen too.
      Frankly, Mr Shankly
      Reply #198: Apr 29, 2016 07:27:11 pm
      Opinions advocating a mass clearout is pure hysteria and nothing more. I won't take them seriously. We've been able to beat Dortmund, a formidable force in Europe to say the least, in the Europa League, held our nerve against the Mancs as well and had our flashes of brilliance in the league, best exemplified by two thrashings of Man City. We've shown in recent months that we have a good basis to build upon with the squad we've got. A good squad that is only two-three signings from being an excellent squad.
      red trooper
      • Forum Legend - Benitez

• 1,849 posts | 68 
      • and don't be afraid of the dark
      Reply #199: Apr 29, 2016 08:34:47 pm
      I think that we need also to focus on our youth more, we have good young players who should be part of the rebuild .The youth of today are our Gerrards,Dalglishs, Souness of tomorrow . Yes we need a good first team with world class players but let's promote the youngsters where we can
      Benito
      • Forum Legend - Fagan

• 2,925 posts | 283 
      Reply #200: Apr 30, 2016 01:58:00 am
      Spine:

X
      Clyne             Lovren           X                 X
                        Milner            Can
           X                    Firmino            Coutinho     
                                Sturridge 

Who would have thought Lovren, been excellent throughout 2016. Hoping Gomez might be the other CB answer with Matip.  I can't see Skrtel or Sakho staying in the summer.

We need to get the loanees off the wage bill. Allan and Markovic only possible ones to remain.

Keeper, Left Back, Defensive Mid and Right Wing/Right CAM are needed for the first team. I'd be OK with filling any other spots with up-and-coming risks, however we need solid performers (a la Clyne) in each of the other positions bar wing/CAM where we need another flair player.
      bad boy bubby
      • Forum Legend - Paisley

• 14,564 posts | 3172 
      • @KaiserQueef
      Reply #201: Apr 30, 2016 09:27:01 am
      I think a lot depends on what our ambitions are for next season. If we want to challenge for top 4 and maybe win a cup, we don't really need to strengthen too much.  A new GK, CB, Midfield player and a winger and we are probably good to go. Maybe a striker too if we find a buyer for Benteke.
      If we are serious about a title challenge however I think we would need better quality in midfield (so at least another new midfielder)  a full back and an Attacking Midfielder in addition to the ones previously mentioned.
      7 players is a lot but we have a lot of players who either don't fit our system and style or simply aren't good enough.

So a top 4 challenge it is then :D   

Yip... pretty much 'nail on head' stuff right there s@int (for me anyhow).

Two things strike me - #1 how readily fans have accepted the notion that top 4 is a noteworthy achievement and...

#2 how, this season,  there's so little talk about wanting 'big' name signings - 'they' don't believe Jürgen will want  to go 'big' you see. 'They' actually fear that he's been brought in to perpetuate FSG'S value for money strategy but 'they' love the man so... better to, abandon erstwhile opinions, accept  the policy and pretend you don't want 'big' names, than running the risk of of looking like you disagree with Jürgen.

Wash, rinse, repeat- "there's always next season"... buy the carpet baggers more time.

Nah... not for me. If Jürgen can do what he does with unknowns imagine what he could do with ready made quality ;)
      « Last Edit: Apr 30, 2016 09:38:28 am by bad boy bubby »
      LFCSTEVE1984
      • Forum Legend - Benitez

• 1,730 posts | 408 
      Reply #202: Apr 30, 2016 09:49:24 am
      Yip... pretty much 'nail on head' stuff right there s@int (for me anyhow).

Two things strike me - #1 how readily fans have accepted the notion that top 4 is a noteworthy achievement and...

#2 how, this season,  there's so little talk about wanting 'big' name signings - 'they' don't believe Jürgen will want  to go 'big' you see. 'They' actually fear that he's been brought in to perpetuate FSG'S value for money strategy but 'they' love the man so... better to, abandon erstwhile opinions, accept  the policy and pretend you don't want 'big' names, than running the risk of of looking like you disagree with Jürgen.

Wash, rinse, repeat- "there's always next season"... buy the carpet baggers more time.

Nah... not for me. If Jürgen can do what he does with unknowns imagine what he could do with ready made quality ;)

Telling ya mate its hampered us seriously over the last few seasons using the scatter gun strategy.

Time to go big on 3 or 4 key positions and maybe fill in the lesser gaps if we have the money left.

However in saying that, the amounts we have spent recently are quite big sums for players who in my opinion are nowhere near what we paid.

I mean I know there is inflation involved but how the fuchsia can Markovic,  Lallana, Lovren and Sakho be worth similar to what we paid for Luis.

And Benteke be worth a good 10 Mil more. So if Jürgen and Co have a good eye for talent... Which seems quite likely then those 20 Mil players could be very very good.

So in a sense those saying he won't go for, or are happy to not get your typical big named signings could well be right.

Because I'm sure for the money we splashed on said players above... We could have had loads of players with much higher quality who would have made a much bigger contribution.
      ORCHARD RED

• 8,526 posts | 1457 
      • 6 Times!
      Reply #203: Apr 30, 2016 09:57:16 am
      I understand Jürgen wanting players that genuinely want to play for the club, rather than mercenaries. The problem with that though is that, although committed to the club, they might not now or ever be better than, are as good as the "mercenaries". As long as these mercenaries put all their effort into making us successful, I've no problem with signing them.
      « Last Edit: Apr 30, 2016 10:44:58 pm by ORCHARD RED »
      reddebs
      • "LFC Hipster"
      • Forum Legend - Paisley
      • Started Topic

• 17,980 posts | 2264 
      Reply #204: Apr 30, 2016 11:11:36 am
      Telling ya mate its hampered us seriously over the last few seasons using the scatter gun strategy.

Time to go big on 3 or 4 key positions and maybe fill in the lesser gaps if we have the money left.

However in saying that, the amounts we have spent recently are quite big sums for players who in my opinion are nowhere near what we paid.

I mean I know there is inflation involved but how the fuchsia can Markovic,  Lallana, Lovren and Sakho be worth similar to what we paid for Luis.

And Benteke be worth a good 10 Mil more. So if Jürgen and Co have a good eye for talent... Which seems quite likely then those 20 Mil players could be very very good.

So in a sense those saying he won't go for, or are happy to not get your typical big named signings could well be right.

Because I'm sure for the money we splashed on said players above... We could have had loads of players with much higher quality who would have made a much bigger contribution.

That is exactly how I'm looking at it mate.

When I've been saying we won't go for "big names" I don't mean we'll go for all freebies and £5-£10m type hopefuls/potentials but that the £20-£35m type signings will be of better quality than those we've previously signed and when I say "better quality" I mean they actually fit the gaps we're missing and fit the style of play Jürgen is wanting us to play.

For too long we've bought players for big money that either play in positions we're already strong in or they just don't fit, don't play, get sent out on loan, given away or sold at a massive loss.

We need more Coutinho and Sturridge level signings that will instantly improve and strengthen us so that how much, or how little they cost becomes irrelevant. 

I know that's easier said than done but I have more faith in Jürgen finding them (or choosing them from a pre prepared list) than Brendan.

The only bit I don't agree with is regarding the "fill the gaps with any money we have left".  That should be the job of the Academy and with the talent we have coming through now and in the next couple of years, why spend on unknowns.
      Ribapuru
      • Banned

• 10,843 posts | 1371 
      Reply #205: Apr 30, 2016 11:21:49 am
      Migs maybe worst keeper ever
      Ibe going backwards during key time of development
      Skrtel probably our worst defender I seen.
      Henderson riding on a reputation where he played well with Suarez in the side.
      Benteke.. he is just another Andy Caroll.
      Caulker he is hardly used, I think he is under rated and his loan will run out.
      Enrique.. what is the point now? he is last choice and probably deserves to be.
      Sinclair can go, he wants to go and he is not even that good.
      LFCSTEVE1984
      • Forum Legend - Benitez

• 1,730 posts | 408 
      Reply #206: Apr 30, 2016 11:43:24 am
      That is exactly how I'm looking at it mate.

When I've been saying we won't go for "big names" I don't mean we'll go for all freebies and £5-£10m type hopefuls/potentials but that the £20-£35m type signings will be of better quality than those we've previously signed and when I say "better quality" I mean they actually fit the gaps we're missing and fit the style of play Jürgen is wanting us to play.

For too long we've bought players for big money that either play in positions we're already strong in or they just don't fit, don't play, get sent out on loan, given away or sold at a massive loss.

We need more Coutinho and Sturridge level signings that will instantly improve and strengthen us so that how much, or how little they cost becomes irrelevant. 

I know that's easier said than done but I have more faith in Jürgen finding them (or choosing them from a pre prepared list) than Brendan.

The only bit I don't agree with is regarding the "fill the gaps with any money we have left".  That should be the job of the Academy and with the talent we have coming through now and in the next couple of years, why spend on unknowns.

Haha that's partly my fault, maybe should have worded it a bit better.

I mean that once we've covered the main important/urgent positions we should use whatever money we have left to focus on any areas of lesser impottance should we have any money left.

But yeah I agree with the youngsters and the good news is... It looks like they're going to get a fair chance with Jürgen in charge.

Let's hope some of them grab their opportunity with both hands and don't let it go.

Quick Reply