Trending Topics

Next match: LFC v Spurs [Premier League] Sun 5th May @ 4:30 pm
      Anfield

Today is the 28th of April and on this date LFC's match record is P27 W14 D8 L5

The Summer Clearout and Rebuilding the Squad

Read 34571 times
      The Real Donavan Ried
      • Forum Legend - Dalglish

• 5,120 posts | 949 
      Re: The Summer Clearout and Rebuilding the Squad
      Reply #115: Feb 07, 2016 11:23:14 pm
      Leicester's two best players, Mahrez and Vardy, both were very average last season. There's not a chance in hell our supporters would ever be patient with players. Benteke has already scored more goals than Vardy did last season and he's getting all kinds of abuse. We've seen Henderson abused, Can and Moreno are currently getting all sorts, Lucas was given horrible treatment, etc. In this thread alone there are people actually advocating that we sell our entire squad, bar two or three. It's great saying that Leicester buy smartly, but they have persisted with the likes of Mahrez and Vardy despite them not being anything special for them. We're not in a position to do that because the moment that we aren't having consistent results, our supporters are at our players throats wanting to kill them and thinking they all should be sold.

By the way, put any of Leicester's players in our team and they wouldn't have the impact that they are having at Leicester. There's a completely different level of pressure that comes with playing for us and it is much more difficult to play for us than it is them. As well as that, teams wouldn't let us set up like Leicester do.

Surely the counterargument to those is Joey Gomez?
      Even if both Mahrez and Vardy looked average they both worked harder than Benteke, I believe Liverpool supporters would have given them time for that alone. You don't work hard to get to the promised land then stop working like some of our players have and that's one of the reasons why supporters want some of these gone
      BarneyLFC
      • Forum Legend - Fagan

• 2,838 posts | 137 
      Reply #116: Feb 07, 2016 11:35:28 pm
      Even if both Mahrez and Vardy looked average they both worked harder than Benteke, I believe Liverpool supporters would have given them time for that alone. You don't work hard to get to the promised land then stop working like some of our players have and that's one of the reasons why supporters want some of these gone

Emre Can works hard. Alberto Moreno works hard. Lucas has always worked hard. Henderson has always worked hard. Mignolet probably works hard. We give our players F**k all time.
      dunlop liddell shankly
      • 2009 LFC quiz champion (now to be known as "Kate")
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 21,013 posts | 3352 
      Reply #117: Feb 07, 2016 11:53:09 pm
      I disagree mate, people only moan when the players aren't good enough. I don't remember anyone moaning when we bought Gomez or Ings or more recently Grujic.

Gomez an Grujic maybe, probably because nobody on here knew either of them. But Ings copped it bad. In his case, as it was with Lallana and Lovren, wasn't even the money side of things with some. It was actually what club we bought them from. How could we possibly be buying somebody from little old Burnley or how could our most expensive signing of the summer come from Southampton. There was a fair bit of that attitude going on. Could you imagine the uproar if four years ago, we went to Fleetwood and bought Jamie Vardy for a million quid?

And there is a lot of people moaning about money. It was an excuse often thrown out there as to why we can't possibly win the League when we're competing with the money being spent by City, Chelsea, United. Those posters are probably praying to high heaven that Leicester don't win the League. But then when we do spend a fortune, they whinge about spending too much on a certain player.

One of my favourites is - "I wouldn't buy him for 30 million but if we could get him for 15, I'd take that." Suddenly a player becomes good enough at half the price. I remember having a debate with BBB on here a few years back about whether a forward's goal contribution should be judged on how much he cost. For example, if we got a forward for 5 million and he got 5 goals is that more acceptable than a forward we sign for 20 million who only gets 10 goals say. And I think we agreed each forward should be judged by what they do on the pitch, rather than how much we spent on them.

At the end of the day though, people are gonna moan about transfers. We spend too little, we spend too much, we didn't buy x, y and z, we did buy x, y and z. It's a part of football that is nigh on impossible to please everybody.
      harrydunn08

• 5,921 posts | 964 
      Reply #118: Feb 08, 2016 02:29:06 am
      I'll tell you what, the group of players that I'm most disappointed with are the CM's.  None of Milner, Hendo, Can, Lucas, or Allen have been good enough at picking out dangerous passes into the feet of our attackers.  Sure, the movement and finishing of the attacking players could certainly be better.  And yes, our defenders and GK could also do much better.  However, for me the game is about quality passing and meaningful utilization of the ball when in possession and our CM's aren't near good enough in this regard....
      PastorGeek
      • Not Actual Geek
      • Forum Legend - Fagan

• 2,564 posts | 729 
      Reply #119: Feb 08, 2016 03:48:55 am
      have you seen how many goals they have scored I think its 30 now . So take Benteke and Firmino and we have what 12 or so.

Everton have wingers. Mirallas, Lennon,Deulofeu.

our so called wingers don't play well on the wings. Lallana is slow as f, Coutinho always plays painfully average when he's out wide. Firmino isnt a winger,  Ibe has been meh, and Milner is now a CM apparently.

IMO 2 pacey wingers will make a huge difference in our attack.
      DanRed44
      • Forum Igor Biscan

• 121 posts | 18 
      Reply #120: Feb 08, 2016 09:42:01 am
      Everton have wingers. Mirallas, Lennon,Deulofeu.

our so called wingers don't play well on the wings. Lallana is slow as f, Coutinho always plays painfully average when he's out wide. Firmino isnt a winger,  Ibe has been meh, and Milner is now a CM apparently.

IMO 2 pacey wingers will make a huge difference in our attack.
      Agree mate, the toffees have genuine pace, we lack pace, only real pacec we have is Moreno and he is as much use as Insua, Konchesky and Josemi was.
      HamannsTheMan
      • Forum Legend - Fagan

• 3,031 posts | 1978 
      Reply #121: Feb 08, 2016 10:38:49 am
      A few people on here saying all we need is a half decent GK and a CF who can bang them in and we'll be right up there. God knows what you've been watching for the past two seasons but you're deluded if you genuinely believe this current squad can challenge with the additions of just one or two bits of quality. We need several new players.

Mignolet - Worst number 1 we've ever had. Needs to go. But as we've just offered him a 5 year deal the best we can hope for is for him to be our number 2. WE DESPERATELY NEED A NEW GK.

Clyne - In my opinion he is good enough and have no problem with him being our RB.

Moreno - Rash. Makes several mistakes each game. Its a myth he is good at going forward because his final pass or crossing is often dreadful - he is just super fast which clouds peoples judgment. He isn't the best at defending either. I'd have him in the squad and think he would be a decent back up option. Other areas need strengthening first and are more of a priority but we definitely need a new left back.

Sakho, Skrtel, Lovren, Toure -  It speaks volumes that a steady partnership has never been formed between any of them. They are all as clumsy and inconsistent as each other. Our opinions are divided amongst these four, for example a lot of people rate skrtel but I think he is bloody awful and has been the centre of our defensive woes for many years now. I personally have a soft spot for sakho but many think he is awful too. But at least two of these will be going in the summer (my moneys on sakho and toure). One will probably keep his place in the first 11 (my moneys on skrtel) and the other will be a backup option (my moneys on Lovren).  WE DESPERATELY NEED A RELIABLE CONSISTENT CENTRE HALF WHO IS ONE OF THE FIRST NAMES ON THE TEAM SHEET THOUGH.

Gomez - Looked very promising before he got injured. Probably a bit young and inexperienced to play every week for us though. Certainly a very strong squad player.

Lucas, Hendo, Allen, Can, Milner - Haven't got a creative bone between them. I'd keep Lucas because of his experience and the role he plays which nobody else can master. But he can't play every week for us, he is a squad player.  Personally I'd be happy to sell the other four tomorrow but I imagine Hendo and Can will stay, one being a starter (my moneys on hendo) and the other a squad player (my moneys on can), and I think both Milner and Allen will leave.  AGAIN, WE DESPERATELY NEED A REALIABLE CONSISTENT CENTRE MID WHO HAS A BIT OF QUALITY AND A SET OF BALLS.

Lallana, Ibe  - both have played enough games for us but neither have scored enough or made enough assists. Due to his age id keep Ibe as a squad player. Id sell Lallana tomorrow.  We need TWO wide men.

Markovic - Another one who has divided opinion but I saw enough of him before he came here, and even glimpses of him in a red shirt, to suggest there is a talented player in there. Id definitely have him in the squad.

Coutinho, Firmino - Need to build the team around these two but I don't know how you fit both of them in the same 11 when they play the same position. Coutinho is wasted out on the left.

Benteke, Ballotelli, Origi - None fit in with the way we play football. All need to go.

Sturridge, Ings - Sturridge has obviously got the talent but his injury record is shockingly bad. Ings will give 100% every game but probably lacks that bit of world class talent. Both squad players. WE DESPERATELY NEED TO BRING IN A TOP CLASS CENTRE FORWARD.

So basically, we need a whole new spine. We need a GK, a CB, a CM and a CF! We need TWO wide men.  Six players we urgently need in my opinion. We might not get what we paid for certain players but we will still get a decent wedge for them.

We paid 32.5m for Benteke and ok we will never see that again but somebody somewhere will take a gamble on him for 20m presuming they can afford his wages.

We paid 15m for Allen and we might not get that full 15 back but he is a welsh international, will be involved at the euros, still a very young age. Somebody will buy him for 10.

We signed Milner on a free and he is a England international, will be involved at the euros, he is 30 so in his prime, experienced and has medals on his cv. He would go for anywhere between 15 and 20m.

We paid 20m for Lovren and 17m for Sakho. Both internationals, both mid twenties, again both will be involved at the euros. We will get 15 for Lovren and probably the same for Sakho.

Lallana was signed for 25m. We will never see that again but I'm sure somebody would take him for 15-20m.

Somebody somewhere will take Balotelli off our hands for 10m. Somebody always does!  Origi will go for 7-8m. The lad is only 20.

Sturridge could possibly go for 20m.

They money in the PL now is ridiculous and all 20 teams have it. I wouldn't be surprised one bit to see a few mid table teams or even promoted teams having a bid or two for some of our players.

Ebieahi
      • Forum Ronnie Moran

• 382 posts | 45 
      Reply #122: Feb 08, 2016 11:07:10 am
      I am still amazed at how easily our players get cast aside after a poor run of form. Win 3 out of 5 games and we are gonna win the league...then win 1 out of 4 games and they all need to go.
      I would have thought that by now the efforts of Leicester would have proven that a team performance will get you over the line more often than not. They are doing it as a team and by playing to the strengths of their 2 main players in Vardy and Mahrez. Neither of these were world beaters before the season. Now look at the other contenders...Spurs are doing it lately with a solid midfield trio and in form striker, no world beaters in there either. Arsenal are doing it with an in form Ozil, Sanchez and settled Central Defence. City are competing with arguably two of the few world class players on show this season in De Bruyne and Aguero, while Man Utd are there solely due to the efforts of De Gea.

My question is therefore, do we need an overhaul or simply a few quality additions. My view is we lack a leader, so i would bring in any player of experience and character in either Midfield or Defence. Then we need a quality Defender, A goal scoring midfielder and Striker.

Besides the above, our most obvious improvement is needed in goal. A new keeper may help solidify our defence and give confidence back to our shell shocked backline.
      SM
      • Forum Legend - Fagan

• 3,583 posts | 400 
      Reply #123: Feb 08, 2016 12:06:42 pm
      I watched the Chelsea / Utd game yesterday and both their goalkeepers it could be argued saved them from defeat and gained the points.

Has to be top priority in the summer.
      The Real Donavan Ried

• 5,120 posts | 949 
      Reply #124: Feb 08, 2016 01:33:48 pm
      Emre Can works hard. Alberto Moreno works hard. Lucas has always worked hard. Henderson has always worked hard. Mignolet probably works hard. We give our players f**k all time.
      You note that no player you have named are strikers? but see your point
      The Real Donavan Ried

• 5,120 posts | 949 
      Reply #125: Feb 08, 2016 01:41:53 pm
      Gomez an Grujic maybe, probably because nobody on here knew either of them.
      No body knew Vardy or Mahrez

There was a fair bit of that attitude going on. Could you imagine the uproar if four years ago, we went to Fleetwood and bought Jamie Vardy for a million quid?
      I do not believe that any LFC would gave It a second thought as £1m in these current times is a drop in the ocean
      I'll wager that Milner signing on fee was more than that

dunlop liddell shankly
      • 2009 LFC quiz champion (now to be known as "Kate")
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 21,013 posts | 3352 
      Reply #126: Feb 08, 2016 06:34:07 pm
      I do not believe that any LFC would gave It a second thought as £1m in these current times is a drop in the ocean
      I'll wager that Milner signing on fee was more than that

Well you believe wrong.

If Liverpool went and spent a million quid on a 25 year old from the conference, they'd be uproar. He wasn't some whipper snapper kid or somebody who'd scored a hatful in a top League.

There were people saying we were right not to pay 5 million for Deli Alli because he was basically a no mark in League 1- of course with hindsight, people deny ever saying such things.
      bazspeedman
      • Forum Legend - Paisley

• 15,822 posts | 2455 
      Reply #127: Feb 08, 2016 06:53:26 pm
      We need to build our team around Coutinho and Firmino next season and play a 4-3-1-2 formation:

New GK

Clyne  New CB  New CB  New LB

Hendo   New DM  Grujic

Coutinho

Firmino     Sturridge/New ST

Bench: Ward, Sakho, Gomez, Can, Alberto, Markovic, Ings
      bigmick
      • Forum Legend - Paisley

• 10,078 posts | 2767 
      Reply #128: Feb 08, 2016 06:56:07 pm
      There's absolutely no question in my mind that if we had Coutinho, Firmino and Sturridge fit at the same time our goalscoring problems would be over. Whether that is likely or even possible in Sturridges case of course remains to be seen.
      AZPatriot

• 9,944 posts | 1759 
      Reply #129: Feb 08, 2016 07:04:03 pm
      We need to build our team around Coutinho and Firmino next season and play a 4-3-1-2 formation:

New GK

Hendo   New DM  Grujic

Coutinho

No Smith, Ojo, Stewart?

Can't see us buying another CB with Flanno, Smith, Moreno .
      bazspeedman
      • Forum Legend - Paisley

• 15,822 posts | 2455 
      Reply #130: Feb 08, 2016 08:09:14 pm
      No Smith, Ojo, Stewart?

Smith, Ojo and Stewart are still kids mate.

They should be bled into the team naturally over the next 2/3 seasons.

I'm hoping Moreno will be sold and we will sign a LB who can defend as well as attack.
      BarneyLFC
      • Forum Legend - Fagan

• 2,838 posts | 137 
      Reply #131: Feb 09, 2016 02:53:47 am

New GK

Hendo   New DM  Grujic

Coutinho

Not enough goals in that front three. Coutinho should move into the midfield three and Firmino should move to where Coutinho is. Relying on Grujic already would be massive ask. I'd also argue that buying so many defenders would be mental. We've only got a limited budget and we don't want to have another summer where we make 9 signings. Five signings at most is what we should be aiming for, with 3 of them being as good as we can get, keeping in mind we have Markovic and Grujic coming in to pad out the squad. I think spending money on an improvement on Moreno would be mental. You could convince me that signing a cheap kid like Chilwell and developing him would be worthwhile, but no way should we be spending decent money on fullbacks. Put the money in the most skilled/most important areas: goalkeeper and further forward.
      BarneyLFC
      • Forum Legend - Fagan

• 2,838 posts | 137 
      Reply #132: Feb 09, 2016 02:55:52 am
      No Smith, Ojo, Stewart?

I'd move Stewart on in the summer.

Klopp also probably sees Flanagan as a right back. We've been linked with Ben Chilwell of Leicester and Rico Henry by reputable sources, so I wouldn't be shocked to see a left back come in, though I don't think it should be a priority.
      BarneyLFC
      • Forum Legend - Fagan

• 2,838 posts | 137 
      Reply #133: Feb 09, 2016 02:57:08 am
      Smith, Ojo and Stewart are still kids mate.

They should be bled into the team naturally over the next 2/3 seasons.

I'm hoping Moreno will be sold and we will sign a LB who can defend as well as attack.

Smith will be 22 at the start of next season and Stewart will be 23. Smith may have a future here, but Stewart surely does not. Neither of them are kids anymore.
      Kopite78
      Reply #134: Feb 09, 2016 08:42:50 am
      As frustrated as I am with the current performance of the squad I don't think we can afford another summer of 8 in 8 out.

Id go for quality over quantity, a better keeper, two really lively attacking threats who can make a difference and be the spark and then either a top CM or top CB.

Likely that Matip lad will come in, Toure will leave so that's it really for the CBs I imagine, I don't think the defence as a whole trust the keeper one bit and that makes them look worse as a unit, also if we were scoring more goals then the odd F**k up at the back wouldn't make so much of a difference.
      Two top end game changers would transform us, F**k if we could keep Sturridge fit it would transform us. The squad isn't as bad as it looks, it just needs to improve in both boxes, we need some real quality and pace in the final third and then the rest of them would look better.

We cant afford another season of ripping up and starting again, bedding in 8 new faces.

Look for quality to add to this and we will look at the whole lot differently
      Vicks86
      • Forum Legend - Fagan

• 3,635 posts | 273 
      Reply #135: Feb 09, 2016 02:04:52 pm
      Contrary to many declaring we need a major overhaul, I say we spend heavily on 4 world class players and that automatically lifts others around them.

Keepers
      Mignolet, Bogdan, Ward, Fulton

Klopp, we know was ruthless in his first couple of years at Dortmund shipping out all the under-performers, and he himself said "In my opinion, usually I make a one-year contract with the players" and if he goes by that, I'm pretty sure he will be shipping out Mig and Bogdan. Ter Stegen seems to be the one on everyone's lips and I would be very happy if we can lure him without CL football.

Out: Mig £9m, Bogdan £1m | In: Ter Stegen £18m | Net Spend: £8m

Full-backs
      Clyne, Flano, Moreno, Smith, Randall, Wisdom, McLaughlin, Macguire, Enrique

I would say we are well-stocked although the quality is debatable. If Moreno continues with his sudden brainless gimmicks, we would see Flano there in no time. Randall and Smith would be back-up yet again, with McLaughlin and Macguire going out on loan and just cant wait to see the back of Enrique. Wisdom would probably be let go as well, like we did with Kelly and Coady.

Out: Wisdom £2m | In: None | Net Spend: -£2m

Center Backs
      Skrtel, Lovren, Sakho, Gomez, Toure, Ilori, Caulker, Jones, Williams, Cleary

Caulker, Toure and Ilori are gone for sure, with Jones, Williams and Cleary going out on loan.If Matip signs for free, I guess that would be it for incoming transfers. If Joe impresses like he did early this season, its all his spot to lose. Feel Lovren has improved a lot under Klopp but really really unsure on Sakho. Guess Klopp would give them until winter and assess after.

Out: Toure, Caulker, Ilori £2m | In: None | Net Spend: -£2m

Central Midfield
      Hendo, Can, Lucas, Grujic, Allen, Allan, Stewart, Chirivella, Rossiter

If Klopp plays a 4-2-3-1 predominantly next season, that's 9 players for 2 spots but where the f**k is the quality? If you look at Klopp's title winning sides or Rafa's 08-09 side, there was a vertical player/deep-lying playmaker  (Alonso, Sahin, Gundagon) and a horizontal player/defensive mid (Masch, Bender, Kehl). In the current lot, there is no real play maker but rather 3 decent box-to-box mids in Hendo, Can and Grujic, and 1 decent DM in Lucas. Allen might have improved but we would definitely listen to offers. Allan, Stewart, Chirivella and Rossiter playing in the reserves and cup games. We need a solid DM for sure, and either of the Bender brothers would be an ideal signing, Xhaka would be dream!!

Out: Allen £8m | In: Xhaka £30m | Net Spend: £22m

Attacking Midfield/Wingers/Wide Forwards
      Firmino, Coutinho, Lallana, Ibe, Milner, Markovic, Ojo, JC Tex, Kent, Alberto, Canos

We'll probably see 1 more season of winger-Milner before Klopp replaces him with an actual winger. Cant see him featuring in central midfield. Guess we were after Alex Teixeira with the intention to play Firmino as false 9 until end of the season, with Alex and Cou on either side. Sadly, didn't work out. JC Tex can hopefully land a new contract but what was really the point of buying Alberto? TC's f**k up again!! Canos might be let go for free with Ojo and Kent peeking in now and then. And I guess one of Markovic or Lallana will be sold. I hope the latter cos he has been just a passenger in this already average team.

Someone like Kevin Volland or Jese Rodriguez who can play out wide as well as upfront, would be great additions.

Out: Canos, Alberto £2m, Lallana £13m | In: Volland £25m  | Net Spend: £10m

Forwards
      Sturridge, Ings, Origi, Benteke, Balotelli, Sinclair, Yesil

The last 4 are gone. Atletico have sold Martinez, we could try selling Benteke to them, tailor-made player for Simeone's team, hope we can recoup at least £20m. Yesil and Sinclair will leave. Studge is a big big dilemma. I honestly think Jürgen will not sell him but use his presence as a luxury instead of being dependent on him. Meaning which, the forward we buy must hit the ground running. Inaki Williams now has a 50mil euro release clause. There were rumors of a last minute bid for Icardi. Lacazette could be available. Whoever Klopp gets, I hope we hit the jackpot and he hits the back of the net frequently!

Out: Sinclair, Yesil, Mario £5m, Benteke £20m,  | In: Icardi £30m  | Net Spend: £5m

OUTs & INs
      So there you go, with a net spend between £40-£50m, we will hopefully look at replacing the sub standard players we have with better players, not everyone at the same time, probably in 2-3 windows gradually.

Mignolet --> Ter Stegen
      Toure --> Matip
      Allen --> Xhaka
      Lallana --> Volland
      Benteke --> Icardi

Ter Stegen/Ward
      Clyne/Flano - Matip/Skrtel - Lovren/Sakho - Moreno/Smith
      Xhaka/Lucas - Can/Grujic
      Volland/Milner - Firmino/Hendo - Coutinho/Markovic
      Icardi/Studge/Ings

.. and a bunch of youngsters like Origi, Ibe, Tex, Ojo, Gomez, Randall, Rossiter, Cameron, Kent
      « Last Edit: Feb 09, 2016 04:47:31 pm by Vicks86 »
      waltonl4
      • Forum Legend - Shankly

• 37,586 posts | 7140 
      Reply #136: Feb 09, 2016 02:26:08 pm
      Contrary to many declaring we need a major overhaul, I say we spend heavily on 4 world class players and that automatically lifts others around them.

I did read all of your post and agree with most of it but for me you nailed it in the first two lines. For far too long we have flooded Anfield with mediocrity and it has to stop.
      We basically need a new spine and if Sturridge is fit then all the better. Somewhere there is the new Pepe or the new Sami or the New Alonso or even a new Luis but you will not get them on the cheap. We have spent big money but its been so poorly spent and its a bit of a noose around our necks because I reckon when we come calling we are looked upon as a bit of a soft touch to negotiate with

KopiteLuke
      • Forum Legend - Shankly

• 21,056 posts | 3784 
      Reply #137: Feb 09, 2016 03:56:02 pm
      Out: Allen £8m | In: Xhaka £25m | Net Spend: £23m

This bit throws your maths off a little but I don't think you're too far off with the idea. The problem is you're assuming that all your transfers will be a success which they generally aren't (as we well know).

In that sense a keeper is always a big risk as you're committing to him but with a net spend of only £36m (your real spend) then I think we can afford another midfielder which is where we struggle the most. Defensive midfield has been an issue for us for the longest time, when Lucas is injured or a has a drop in form or simply needs subbing off we have nobody. Lucas is the absolute ideal type to drop down to 2nd  choice, he'd be happy enough playing in the cups and getting the odd start here and there.

I'd probably look to get a commander in there, not naming any names because the ones that spring to my mind are far too expensive but someone with vocal leadership and with stature about them. Add that to your list for even £20m and we're still massively in budget for what we should have to spend this season (better commercially, cup runs, tv deal, stadium improvements etc, etc).

Quick Reply