Trending Topics

Next match: v [] Thu 1st Jan @ 1:00 am

Today is the 7th of June and on this date LFC's match record is P4 W3 D0 L1

Pre Match: FC Augsburg v Liverpool Thurs 18/2 20:05KO

Read 16070 times
      KS67
      • Forum Legend - Fagan

• 4,475 posts | 463 
      Re: FC Augsburg v Liverpool Thurs 18/2 20:05KO
      Reply #23: Feb 15, 2016 04:04:58 pm
      I think we'll start to see stronger sides in this now mate, especially now we have some of the walking wounded back and I wouldn't worry, I'm sure Jürgen knows how important this competition is.

I really hope so!

We are, unfortunately, a midtable side since Rafa left and frankly we haven't won anywhere near enough cup competitions in the last ten years.

We need to get a bit of winning culture back at the club to remind everyone of the standards expected. Will help Jürgen sort the wheat from the chaff too.

I really hope we give this a good crack.
      TheRedMosquito
      • Forum Legend - Paisley

• 12,201 posts | 633 
      • Elmore James got nothin' on this baby!
      Reply #24: Feb 15, 2016 04:57:23 pm
      An away goal or two would be brilliant to get here. We should be good enough to win no matter whom we put out there. I suspect it'll be half first team, half young guys like Stewart.
      Compuche
      • Forum Billy Liddell

• 547 posts | 39 
      Reply #25: Feb 15, 2016 05:09:17 pm
      They're on a 4 game winless run, I expect we should make that 5 for them. Without Sturridge (home & away)
      heimdall
      • Forum Legend - Paisley

• 13,818 posts | 2724 
      Reply #26: Feb 15, 2016 05:23:54 pm
      They are the Bundesliga version of Aston Villa, we should go there and smash them, send out a statement to the other teams left in the competition, but I'd settle for a 1-0 win :-)
      MsGerrard
      Reply #27: Feb 15, 2016 05:29:27 pm
      Jürgen will know all about these and will have them sussed out, feeling confident about getting a result over in Germany for the first leg, but make no mistake, these will be no pushovers and we will have to be at the top of our game, but I'm looking forward to Jürgen playing a good strong team so we can have an easy passage for the second leg. :kop5cf8koxp6:
      clint_call01
      • King Live Match Starter
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 11,732 posts | 3742 
      • Ynwa... lfc till I die !
      Reply #28: Feb 15, 2016 05:32:17 pm
      Klopp and his team know this opponent and I'm counting on them. We will beat them comfortably so we can rest some guys for the final against Man City.

We will see a very strong team since we do not have a game this Saturday.
      PurpleMonkey
      • Forum Legend - Paisley

• 10,000 posts | 1991 
      Reply #29: Feb 15, 2016 05:38:59 pm
      Klopp and his team know this opponent and I'm counting on them. We will beat them comfortably so we can rest some guys for the final against Man City.

We will see a very strong team since we do not have a game this Saturday.

Any chance of you proposing again on thursday? :D

You proposing and AussieRed missing the game every matchday is what's needed until the end of the season!
      clint_call01
      • King Live Match Starter
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 11,732 posts | 3742 
      • Ynwa... lfc till I die !
      Reply #30: Feb 15, 2016 06:04:02 pm

You proposing and AussieRed missing the game every matchday is what's needed until the end of the season!

Can someone find a sponsor then ;) :D Thanks mate
      Norfolk Red
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 1,181 posts | 531 
      Reply #31: Feb 15, 2016 06:41:55 pm
      If we win this, sorry when we win this, can we get the Mancs in the next round ( if they get through), or is it still seeded.
      Would be really sweet to stuff them.  ;D
      ORCHARD RED
      • Forum Legend - Dalglish

• 8,526 posts | 1457 
      • 6 Times!
      Reply #32: Feb 15, 2016 07:16:30 pm
      If we win this, sorry when we win this, can we get the Mancs in the next round ( if they get through), or is it still seeded.
      Would be really sweet to stuff them.  ;D

Don't really want to play them mate, they're already beaten us twice whilst being crap. I'd much prefer to play European opposition when we're in Europe, it's more of an occasion for me playing teams we might not have played before.
      AussieRed
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 20,900 posts | 6827 
      • You'll Never Walk Alone
      Reply #33: Feb 15, 2016 09:28:33 pm

I'm seriously considering missing for our own benefits but I miss the excitement of the match thread.  :angel:
      KopiteLuke
      • Forum Legend - Shankly

• 21,056 posts | 3784 
      Reply #34: Feb 15, 2016 09:44:16 pm
      I'm seriously considering missing for our own benefits but I miss the excitement of the match thread.  :angel:

Hahaha, nothing at all to do with it but crazy superstitions are everywhere :)

Hopefully we have Studge available, if we do we should win this comfortably. Augsburg seem to be really struggling this year where they have been progressing quite nicely in recent years. Why that is the case I have no idea but because they were quite decent in recent times I wouldn't underestimate them but counter to that we have Jürgen who obviously will know these extremely well.

Hopefully a couple of goals to the good out of the first leg and we can bring them back to Anfield with a bit of confidence.

Really good chance to get into the last 16, dunno what it is but I get the sneaky suspicion that we'll end up in the final against Dortmund. How does it work if they've already secured CL footy from their league does it give the German League an extra qualifier or the runners up?

(if they managed to beat us of course)
      Dadorious

• 9,882 posts | 1545 
      Reply #35: Feb 15, 2016 10:07:13 pm
      Anyone who has any reservations about us going all out to win this trophy needs their head checked.

Play the strongest side possible get a few away goals then finish them of at home.
      lester76
      • Forum Legend - Fagan

• 4,810 posts | 242 
      Reply #36: Feb 16, 2016 12:03:30 am
      As many have stated, this is a very very important competition.
      The UEFA cup has been one that we have enjoyed and triumphed in many times over the years and now should be no exception.
      We should be fully committed to winning this competition 
      I would select:

Mig
      Clyne
      martin
      Toure
      Flanno
      Lucas
      Hendo
      Milner
      Phil
      Firmino
      Benteke

Subs:
      Ward
      Illori
      Moreno
      Can
      Origi
      Sturridge
      Ibe
      Poko
      • Forum Legend - Benitez

• 1,502 posts | 65 
      Reply #37: Feb 16, 2016 12:07:05 am
      Anyone who has any reservations about us going all out to win this trophy needs their head checked.

Play the strongest side possible get a few away goals then finish them of at home.

Guaranteed CL football next year if we win, I believe (correct me if I am wrong). With top 4 looking hard to get (still possible but we have a lot of work to do) this should be a big focus for us. We can certainly win this and I fully expect Jürgen to field a strong side in this competition.
      Dadorious

• 9,882 posts | 1545 
      Reply #38: Feb 16, 2016 01:10:30 am
      Guaranteed CL football next year if we win, I believe (correct me if I am wrong). With top 4 looking hard to get (still possible but we have a lot of work to do) this should be a big focus for us. We can certainly win this and I fully expect Jürgen to field a strong side in this competition.

Yes it does guarantee CL football.
      siavashiva
      • Forum Emlyn Hughes

• 811 posts | 113 
      Reply #39: Feb 16, 2016 04:31:27 am
      I really don't get the hate about Europa League. Of course I'd love us to play in CL every year, but from a neutral's perspective, I have been enjoying Europa League matches better recently. Lots of small clubs with ardent supporters in small stadiums that are still passionate about football. Unlike CL that is more like fashion show these days. A luxurious platform for a few rich clubs to show off their overpaid "gladiators" on the ground.
      Poko
      • Forum Legend - Benitez

• 1,502 posts | 65 
      Reply #40: Feb 16, 2016 05:12:07 am
      I really don't get the hate about Europa League. Of course I'd love us to play in CL every year, but from a neutral's perspective, I have been enjoying Europa League matches better recently. Lots of small clubs with ardent supporters in small stadiums that are still passionate about football. Unlike CL that is more like fashion show these days. A luxurious platform for a few rich clubs to show off their overpaid "gladiators" on the ground.

The Europa League is supposed to increase the cash prizes within the next few years as well. Not a bad competition to be in at all.
      trebor12
      • Forum Legend - Benitez

• 1,035 posts | 69 
      Reply #41: Feb 16, 2016 09:47:07 am
      Do we qualify for Europe if we win the league cup? Of so we should play a strong side and try win this Europe league then if we win the league cup play some of the kids in the rest of our PL games. I think the current top 4 will stay as it is so out of our hands.
      HScRed1
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 20,229 posts | 4421 
      Reply #42: Feb 16, 2016 09:49:09 am
      Do we qualify for Europe if we win the league cup? Of so we should play a strong side and try win this Europe league then if we win the league cup play some of the kids in the rest of our PL games. I think the current top 4 will stay as it is so out of our hands.

Yes if we win the League Cup we get a EL slot.
      LondonRed83
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 21,732 posts | 3946 
      Reply #43: Feb 16, 2016 10:20:39 am

If so? This is what I find so weird about the stigma of this competition.

Champions league place is a bonus. What I want is the team to be bouncing up and down with a trophy on their head!!!
      Kopite78
      Reply #44: Feb 16, 2016 10:27:11 am

You do qualify for the Europa League by winning the League cup but do you have to go into qualifying for it similar to West Ham this season and start your season early?

I'm not sure that we can just switch off from the intensity needed at high level football and then just switch back on for a game every 2-3 weeks, not sure that can work.

Also we can't just switch off and forget the league for numerous reasons.

If we limply finish 10th that's not going to look great to potential new signings is it? Say Reus ( I'm aiming high as I believe we should target top players) is he going to be convinced if we just limply finish mid table or more convinced if we push on and finish say 5th above Utd and tell him (or whoever) that it was the time Klopp was finding his feet and then we kicked in and his signing can really turn us into contenders.
      Don't you think it's no coincidence either the way Leicester finished last season to them hitting the ground running this? If we lose 3/4 of our league games towards the tail of this season by not caring it will be difficult to simply forget that and over night turn into a winning side mentally.
      The end of the season is very important to us going forward.

Also financially, it's about 1.2-1.3 million a place in the league, so the difference between 5th and 10th is a years wage for a Reus type in the bank.
      As opposed to 100k for winning the league cup.
      I want to win the league cup for the sake of winning it as well as the Europa because that's what I want us to do, win things.. But not at the cost of us forgetting the bread and butter of the league and the finance that is so important to football clubs nowadays
      andylfcynwa
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 9,367 posts | 1638 
      Reply #45: Feb 16, 2016 11:03:26 am
      Can someone find a sponsor then ;) :D Thanks mate
      Sponser eh dear ring was it . ;D

Quick Reply