Trending Topics

Next match: LFC v Spurs [Premier League] Sun 5th May @ 4:30 pm
      Anfield

Today is the 28th of April and on this date LFC's match record is P27 W14 D8 L5

Joel Matip Player Thread (D)

Read 150918 times
      stuey
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 36,006 posts | 3953 
      Re: Joel Matip Player Thread
      Reply #276: Jan 05, 2017 01:46:25 pm
      I think any professional player plays for his Club to earn recognition to be called up to his national team.

If you don't want to play for your nation then retire. You shouldn't have the right to pick and choose when he wants to play for his country.

The club pays his wages.
      When they are kicked the F**k out of in Eastern Europe the club picks up the bill, the bill might include the dropping of several points in a leadership challenge.

The corrupt FA are an intrinsic part of the national team and go out of their way F**k LFC up at any opportunity, why should we do them any favours whatsoever?
      To suggest that LFC players have only selection for their national side as a qualification of success is unmitigated bollocks.

« Last Edit: Jan 05, 2017 04:40:22 pm by stuey »
      Passportboy
      • Forum Legend - Fagan

• 3,608 posts | 109 
      • Yippeeeee
      Reply #277: Jan 05, 2017 02:03:22 pm
      How is playing for Cameroon in an inferior competition going to make him a better player compared to playing for LFC?

How is AFCON an 'inferior' competition..? Inferior to what - the Euros? I think just because you are in Europe and not in Africa you are playing it down somewhat. To Africans I am sure that this is a massive competition...

My point is that time away playing international football will help a player. Not just about the level of competition - but the whole package and process they go through. Its about winning - and about playing with pride and passion, something we have been missing in our players for a long time.

Look, its just my view but I want our players to represent their country and win at that level. Bringing that back to the club cant be a bad thing can it?
      HScRed1
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 20,191 posts | 4405 
      Reply #278: Jan 05, 2017 04:22:09 pm
      How is AFCON an 'inferior' competition..? Inferior to what - the Euros? I think just because you are in Europe and not in Africa you are playing it down somewhat. To Africans I am sure that this is a massive competition...

My point is that time away playing international football will help a player. Not just about the level of competition - but the whole package and process they go through. Its about winning - and about playing with pride and passion, something we have been missing in our players for a long time.

Look, its just my view but I want our players to represent their country and win at that level. Bringing that back to the club cant be a bad thing can it?

Id say its inferior to most Cup competitions in this country and certainly not on par with the PL, if you think its on par with the Euro's there is nothing to debate really.
      heimdall
      • Forum Legend - Paisley

• 13,818 posts | 2724 
      Reply #279: Jan 05, 2017 04:23:13 pm

What in the f**k are you talking about, are you seriously suggesting that the standard Cameroon play to is higher than Liverpool so that a player playing for Cameroon can learn something which he wouldn't from our coaching staff or his team mates? Are you also suggesting that Liverpool somehow don't play with any pride or passion, did you perhaps miss the match against BVB last season??? Losing one of our key players for a month is much more detrimental to the team than anything he can gain from playing in some tin pot tournament that on the world stage counts for absolutely bugger all. I mean how many African champions have gone on to do well in the World Cup, actually have any of them even reached the quarter final stage?
      stuey
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 36,006 posts | 3953 
      Reply #280: Jan 05, 2017 04:54:34 pm

It means absolutely F**k all to LFC.
      Tell you what implication it might have, the player could very well pick up an injury or be completely exhausted for x number of weeks after all the travelling and playing time.

For a player like Mane who undoubtedly would be a stand-out performer for any side, they will want him to play him every game knowing the knock-on effects on the player will not impact on them.
      Possibly bringing that back to the club is certainly not a good thing.

AZPatriot
      • Forum Legend - Dalglish

• 9,944 posts | 1759 
      Reply #281: Jan 05, 2017 05:33:49 pm
      He had a big falling out with the manager a bit ago, that's why he's not playing for them. He'd no doubt play for them if the current manager left at some point.

Is correct...remember reading somewhere where the current manager totally F*kd him over and he basically told them he is done with the national team until that manager leaves.
      fields of anny rd
      • Forum Legend - Paisley

• 17,663 posts | 1961 
      Reply #282: Jan 05, 2017 05:53:59 pm
      In normal circumstances he would probably go to the AFCON and we as a club have no right really to stop him. But the politics of some of the AFCONS countries is ridiculous and more important than the football.

If he's fallen out with the coach then that is his business and if he'd rather stay here than go there then that's his choice. Doesn't make him right or wrong and doesn't make Manes decision to go right or wrong.

The timing of the AFCON is to do with the weather or the heat I believe so nothing can be done about that really.

The standard of the competition isn't brilliant really. Last time out it was a borefest on the field, littered with politics and disqualifications due to ridiculous mistakes off the pitch. I'm sure it's an important competition similar to that of the Euros in importance, but the standard is miles off.

There are talented teams and players, but not enough depth to make it a high level competition, certainly nothing to be gained in experience for Matip, because hes played at a higher level with Schalke and Liverpool already.
      andylfcynwa
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 9,351 posts | 1630 
      Reply #283: Jan 05, 2017 06:01:05 pm

Watching England in the last couple of tournaments blows your theory out the window as no English player has come back with anything let alone pride and enthusiasm it's just dragged them down .
      Kopite78
      Reply #284: Jan 06, 2017 07:26:34 am

He doesn't want to play

It's not us stopping him, if he wanted to go he would and we wouldn't stop him like with Mane

Up to him or any player if they dont want to play international football, I don't blame them, utter waste of time and gets in the waiting of proper footy

« Last Edit: Jan 06, 2017 09:19:16 am by Kopite78 »
      DanMann

• 5,757 posts | 884 
      Reply #285: Jan 06, 2017 09:11:38 am
      Nah f**k that.Maybe if the africans got there sh*t together and didn't have the tourny during the euro season and didn't hold it every f**king 2 years.But nope not even worth the risk then.

Go on then. Enlighten the African continent with your insight.

Given the climate of the various African countries, when should they hold the tournament?
      DanMann

• 5,757 posts | 884 
      Reply #286: Jan 06, 2017 09:14:57 am
      Id say its inferior to most Cup competitions in this country and certainly not on par with the PL, if you think its on par with the Euro's there is nothing to debate really.

Yeah, because England vs Iceland was a massive game...! If you open your eyes just a little, you may be able to see that the games in the AFCON can be very very good. Competitive, high quality, and fast paced.
      HScRed1
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 20,191 posts | 4405 
      Reply #287: Jan 06, 2017 09:42:21 am
      Yeah, because England vs Iceland was a massive game...! If you open your eyes just a little, you may be able to see that the games in the AFCON can be very very good. Competitive, high quality, and fast paced.

Well that game was massive for the Icelanders so not sure of the point you are making!

High quality?  :lmao:

Boston not la
      • Forum Legend - Fagan

• 3,564 posts | 766 
      Reply #288: Jan 06, 2017 01:59:21 pm
      Go on then. Enlighten the African continent with your insight.

Given the climate of the various African countries, when should they hold the tournament?

Ya don't have to be a weatherman to figure it out.When was the world cup in south Africa? The coolest month in Gabon is July, 76 on average temps.To be fair they could play it in europe there's so many over there now.
      DanMann

• 5,757 posts | 884 
      Reply #289: Jan 06, 2017 07:54:48 pm

Ya don't have to be a weatherman to figure it out.When was the world cup in south Africa? The coolest month in Gabon is July, 76 on average temps.To be fair they could play it in europe there's so many over there now.

Aye, you don't need to be a weatherman, it's common sense. Add to that a little knowledge of the African continent.

South Africa is at the very southern tip of Africa and does not always host the AFCON. Like any tournament, the AFCON moves around across the continent, and they need a time of the year that suits most countries. It's not just heat, the wet season is a massive problem.

Boston not la
      • Forum Legend - Fagan

• 3,564 posts | 766 
      Reply #290: Jan 07, 2017 04:09:37 pm
      oh no sh*t sherlock,my geography is fine.it's a sh*t box tourny that no european player should be involved in at this time,same if they played any interntational tourny during the european season.and if a country is to hot/cold to play in the tough luck you don't get to host.These are all about the ego's of corrupt officals and dodgy F***ing rulers.

Lets get Matip back in the Liverpool first team asap.that's what matters.
      Passportboy
      • Forum Legend - Fagan

• 3,608 posts | 109 
      • Yippeeeee
      Reply #291: Jan 07, 2017 09:47:29 pm

I never said it was 'on par' - I said to Africans it was a big competition and important, massive difference. I dont see how you can play down the level - to be fair most international teams would give us a game. And lets not get on about the sh*te teams - in the Euros we have our fair share too...

My opinion is that playing in tournament football for your country will add something to a player. Its not really a right or wrong debate its a point of view. If you disagree then fair play - but I would love to hear how you can say playing for your country in an international tournament dosent add to you as a person or as a player.
      DanMann

• 5,757 posts | 884 
      Reply #292: Jan 07, 2017 10:57:11 pm
      oh no sh*t sherlock,my geography is fine.it's a sh*t box tourny that no european player should be involved in at this time,same if they played any interntational tourny during the european season.and if a country is to hot/cold to play in the tough luck you don't get to host.These are all about the ego's of corrupt officals and dodgy f**king rulers.

Lets get Matip back in the Liverpool first team asap.that's what matters.

Gee, thanks for clarifying your position on this. Basically, you feel that African's don't deserve to have their own tournament because it interferes with what you want. 

Corrupt officials and dodgy rulers... seriously, grow up a little. Learn a little, plus study the geography.
      Boston not la
      • Forum Legend - Fagan

• 3,564 posts | 766 
      Reply #293: Jan 08, 2017 05:26:40 pm
      f***in hell danny boy it's finally sunk in then.And if you think there are no corrupt rulers or officials in africa then i suggest you take ya own advice and learn a little.
                                And while i hope Matip is fit for the United game on sunday,you'll be hoping Mane does well playing F***ing Tunisia instead right?
      Diego LFC
      • Forum Legend - Paisley

• 19,332 posts | 2832 
      • Sempre Liverpool
      Reply #294: Jan 23, 2017 04:45:56 pm
      I was wondering if Matip really is injury prone or just unlucky this season.

Anyone know how reliable this is? http://www.transfermarkt.com/joel-matip/verletzungen/spieler/82105

Supposedly missed 15 games to injury in 2014/15, but only 1 in 2015/16.

I hope it's nothing too serious because he's a joy to watch.
      bmck
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 9,548 posts | 1667 
      • YNWA
      Reply #295: Jan 25, 2017 10:20:33 pm
      Thought he was a bit shaky tonight, but good to see Joel back, we need him getting his sharpness back for games coming up.
      7-King Kenny-7
      • Lives on Sesame Street
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 44,014 posts | 5760 
      • You'll Never Walk Alone!
      Reply #296: Jan 25, 2017 10:22:14 pm
      Thought he was a bit shaky tonight, but good to see Joel back, we need him getting his sharpness back for games coming up.

Definitely showed signs of not having played for a while.
      ruthcity

• 6,937 posts | 1479 
      Reply #297: Feb 05, 2017 09:40:16 am
      HScRed1
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 20,191 posts | 4405 
      Reply #298: Mar 12, 2017 08:28:34 pm
      Thought he was excellent today and it's becoming glaringly obvious that the issue is who plays with him.

Get another quality CB and let Lovren cover and we may start to see some solidity in our defence.

Quick Reply