Trending Topics

Next match: Napoli v LFC [Champions League] Tue 17th Sep @ 8:00 pm
      San Paolo Stadium

Today is the 16th of September and on this date LFC's match record is P36 W20 D9 L7

Joel Matip Player Thread

Read 44222 times
      FL Red
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 23,872 posts | 3442 
      Re: Joel Matip Player Thread
      Reply #450: Feb 12, 2019 02:21:08 pm
      Not sure what people were watching the other night, he was really good against Bournemouth and if I'm not mistaken, we've never lost a game that he's started this season. Some people aren't happy unless they are griping out one of our players it seems.

I think he's better than Lovren personally and while he's not on VVD's level, he compliments him well with the absence of Gomez.
      German_Panzer
      • Forum Phil Thompson

• 488 posts | 60 
      Reply #451: Feb 24, 2019 07:03:17 pm
      Shout out to Joel. Proves to be not much worse than Gomez/Lovren. Today another solid game and he was the only one who once tried a run deep into United's territory.
      Scotia
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 8,504 posts | 2506 
      Reply #452: Feb 24, 2019 09:04:59 pm
      Outstanding today.

Well in big fella.
      CT_LFC
      • Forum Legend - Benitez

• 1,458 posts | 358 
      Reply #453: Feb 24, 2019 10:33:30 pm
      Just call him Mr. Underrated
      waltonl4
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 26,988 posts | 3671 
      Reply #454: Feb 24, 2019 10:37:51 pm
      Shout out to Joel. Proves to be not much worse than Gomez/Lovren. Today another solid game and he was the only one who once tried a run deep into United's territory.

not sure are you saying he played well or Lovren and Gomez are poor.
      He is a good player who also had some really bad injuries at the wrong time for him.
      He only had to deal with Lukaku and Sanchez so wasn't over stretched today
      7-King Kenny-7
      • Lives on Sesame Street
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 39,909 posts | 3826 
      • You'll Never Walk Alone!
      Reply #455: Feb 24, 2019 11:22:54 pm
      Like him or not, he’s been performing well of late. Says something when he was also our biggest threat going forward too!
      PurpleMonkey
      • Forum Legend - Paisley

• 10,000 posts | 1989 
      Reply #456: Feb 24, 2019 11:24:07 pm
      Like him or not, he’s been performing well of late. Says something when he was also our biggest threat going forward too!

Yep. One of the best ball playing center backs out there tbh.
      FL Red
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 23,872 posts | 3442 
      Reply #457: Feb 24, 2019 11:25:28 pm

I don’t think we’ve lost a game this season when he’s been playing. That has to stand for something.
      7-King Kenny-7
      • Lives on Sesame Street
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 39,909 posts | 3826 
      Reply #458: Feb 24, 2019 11:29:41 pm
      Yep. One of the best ball playing center backs out there tbh.

I don’t think there’s any doubt about it, if Gomez is fit then he’s first choice alongside Virgil. But for me this season, I don’t know if it’s the same with anyone else, but Lovren and Matip have been a bit of a strange case. When we lost Gomez it seemed a case of who’s the best case scenario of two average defenders based on form and when one has played they’ve done well but as usual, either Matip or Lovren got an injury and it seemed a case of “great, now we have the 4th choice liability playing”... but on the whole, they have both stepped in and proved to be good and reliable cover. Consistency has been the bigger issue for him and Lovren with us, but they’ve both done well this season. Even without Virgil vs Bayern, Matip of last season I think would have been a massive liability playing with essentially an out of position CB partner but he was very composed and had a good game.

Hopefully that makes sense. It makes sense to me but wasn’t easy trying to explain it :D
      PurpleMonkey
      • Forum Legend - Paisley

• 10,000 posts | 1989 
      Reply #459: Feb 25, 2019 12:09:59 am
      I don’t think there’s any doubt about it, if Gomez is fit then he’s first choice alongside Virgil. But for me this season, I don’t know if it’s the same with anyone else, but Lovren and Matip have been a bit of a strange case. When we lost Gomez it seemed a case of who’s the best case scenario of two average defenders based on form and when one has played they’ve done well but as usual, either Matip or Lovren got an injury and it seemed a case of “great, now we have the 4th choice liability playing”... but on the whole, they have both stepped in and proved to be good and reliable cover. Consistency has been the bigger issue for him and Lovren with us, but they’ve both done well this season. Even without Virgil vs Bayern, Matip of last season I think would have been a massive liability playing with essentially an out of position CB partner but he was very composed and had a good game.

Hopefully that makes sense. It makes sense to me but wasn’t easy trying to explain it :D

Yep, I have to hand it Matip, he has come in a few times with no momentum and performed this season, and now getting a run of games, he is showing consistency and quality!

I have never doubted Lovren and Matip's defensive ability, but what I have doubt is their durability.... and I still do which is why I consider them a liability. Where we would potentially lose Lovren for weeks, I still have doubts Matip could fill that void long term during an intense period, vice versa with Lovren. Fortunately for us,we have had a lot of rest days between matches which has given enough recovery time for Matip, and if he can stay fit until the end of the season, maybe there is hope!!
      AussieRed
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 15,713 posts | 3302 
      • You'll Never Walk Alone
      Reply #460: Feb 25, 2019 05:59:25 am
      Can't see Lovren coming in and displacing him at the moment but if that own goal would have stood, things would deffo have been different. Couldn't understand what he was trying to do with that ball!
      what-a-hit-son
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 14,336 posts | 3382 
      • @MrPrice1979
      Reply #461: Feb 25, 2019 09:35:09 am
      Glad to see him getting a bit of praise. Has come in and done his thing to a good standard at a time when we were all very worried about RCB. Amazed he's stayed fit, though.
      PGlynn91
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 4,524 posts | 272 
      • To win just once...
      Reply #462: Feb 25, 2019 09:37:12 am
      He kicked the ball into his own net. Could be very different discussion here had that counted.
      HScRed1
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 14,649 posts | 3062 
      Reply #463: Feb 25, 2019 10:54:18 am
      He kicked the ball into his own net. Could be very different discussion here had that counted.

Yeah he got lucky there with the offside, those giraffe like legs couldn’t move quick enough with the ball fizzed across.
      Because of that I think he didn’t go for the cross at the end which Smalling thought he would clear, another phew moment.
      Kopite78
      • Forum Legend - Fagan

• 2,957 posts | 1973 
      Reply #464: Feb 25, 2019 11:05:04 am
      Played well the last few weeks

Definitely cemented his place as first change option for me behind Virgil and Gomez.

Certainly more reliable than Lovren in terms on the pitch and actually being available to get on it
      7-King Kenny-7
      • Lives on Sesame Street
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 39,909 posts | 3826 
      Reply #465: Feb 25, 2019 07:23:27 pm

Except it was offside so it’s irrelevant and no point discussing it. If you are going to discuss then at least start by saying how the defensive line was disciplined and played them offside instead of making it sound as though Matip was at fault if the goal had stood. To which he wouldn’t have been, it would have been the officials...again. So it wouldn’t have been a different discussion unless you are trying to pick fault for the sake of it.
      FL Red
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 23,872 posts | 3442 
      Reply #466: Feb 25, 2019 07:27:28 pm

And if my aunt had balls she'd be my uncle.
      Gill95
      • Forum Legend - Benitez

• 1,335 posts | 384 
      Reply #467: Feb 28, 2019 09:32:08 am
      Good man Matip. Solid again.
      WeAreMenOfShanklysBest
      • Forum Youth Player

• 23 posts | 12 
      • up the reds
      Reply #468: Feb 28, 2019 09:43:30 am
      Been brilliant since coming in, just what we needed. However I feel as if Gomez must come back in when fit. Matip is still so capable of having that brain fart moment where he might dangle out a leg or turn one into the net.
      waltonl4
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 26,988 posts | 3671 
      Reply #469: Feb 28, 2019 10:14:58 am
      I think he enjoys playing alongside VVD but who wouldn't.
      Never the less his good form has been a blessing well in Joel
      RC9
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 8,286 posts | 294 
      • Formerly known as Vtorres, Vsuarez, and Vsterling.
      Reply #470: Feb 28, 2019 10:26:33 am
      Has played himself into the starting 11 for me, even when Joe is back I would keep Joel in.

Made a couple of great interceptions yesterday, one time where they got in behind and he was the only thing in between the pull back and Deeney slotting it and the second where he put his head on the line to make a header with the risk of a boot to the face.

Mentioned it before when his on the ball I feel nervous but 9/10 he plays a really good pass, reminds me of Sakho when he was in form, also like the fact he isn't afraid to run at players and into space.
      Scottbot
      • Forum Legend - Dalglish

• 7,738 posts | 1298 
      Reply #471: Feb 28, 2019 03:06:39 pm
      He has been excellent the last few games, I have bee critical of him but if he can maintain this consistency until the end of the season Gomez & Lovren will have to work very hard for playing time.
      therealjr
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 809 posts | 77 
      Reply #472: Feb 28, 2019 03:10:37 pm
      He has been excellent the last few games, I have bee critical of him but if he can maintain this consistency until the end of the season Gomez & Lovren will have to work very hard for playing time.

He has but I think our CB partnership of VVD & insert name here usually looks good. The acid test will be if he continues to look good on partnership with Gomez or Lovren.
      brezipool
      • Forum Legend - Fagan

• 4,066 posts | 259 
      • COME ON THE REDMEN !
      Reply #473: Feb 28, 2019 04:11:55 pm
      Yip Matip been brilliant recently, amazing what an Injury free run in the team can do for players eh. ;D.

clint_call01
      • King Live Match Starter
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 8,906 posts | 2002 
      • Ynwa... lfc till I die !
      Reply #474: Feb 28, 2019 04:25:37 pm
      I would play him until Gomez is really 100% fit. For me, he moved ahead of Lovren in the list.

Quick Reply