Trending Topics

Next match: LFC v Spurs [Champions League] Sat 1st Jun @ 8:00 pm
      Estadio Metropolitano, Madrid

Today is the 23rd of May and on this date LFC's match record is P8 W3 D1 L4

Joel Matip Player Thread

Read 36231 times
      bazspeedman
      • Forum Legend - Paisley

• 11,412 posts | 1183 
      Re: Joel Matip Player Thread
      Reply #525: May 08, 2019 07:38:32 am
      So good he's keeping Joe on the bench and rightly so.
      Danzel
      • Forum Legend - Benitez

• 1,060 posts | 933 
      Reply #526: May 08, 2019 08:35:24 pm
      He has been absolutely rock solid ever since coming in for Gomez, bar the one or two games where he looked a bit nervous. All in all, he has been a brilliant piece of business again by Klopp and the management team. Remember we got the lad in on a free transfer.

He's one of the best in the world at breaking the lines. It may not always look as majestic as when Van Dijk does it, but it's so effective and it always causes chaos with opposition teams. Great forward passing too.

It's also clear how good he is or can be when he is fully fit for a long period of time. Hasn't been injured for quite some time now (knocks on wood) and it shows that when he gets a good run in the team, he's a fantastic option to have.

You also never see him moan or hear even the slightest negative thing about him in the media or whatever.
      AussieRed
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 15,441 posts | 3014 
      • You'll Never Walk Alone
      Reply #527: May 09, 2019 08:03:42 am
      Brilliant performance Joel.

Who would have thought at the start of the Season, going form 4th Choice CB to certain starter in a European Cup Final? Just Wow!
      fields of anny rd
      • Forum Legend - Paisley

• 13,191 posts | 1144 
      Reply #528: May 09, 2019 11:23:44 pm
      Been class for a month or so now. Very solid defensively.

Whereas in the past I used to wince as he strode out with it, I have confidence in him now the way he is playing that he will break through the lines and pick a quality pass out.
      adammac
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 3,729 posts | 53 
      • Heart As Big As Liverpool
      Reply #529: May 10, 2019 06:25:53 pm
      He been putting in the type of performances that Lovren was doing last season which shows given a run of games and little confidence can do.
      bmck
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 5,926 posts | 814 
      • YNWA
      Reply #530: May 10, 2019 07:43:45 pm
      In the first half there was break, they had 3 on 2, or maybe 4 on 3, yellow jerseys in the box, Messi on the ball, looked like he would slip a pass, or beat the defender to make space for a shot, a certain goal - was it Joel who got a foot in to nick it off Messi ?   Whoever it was, was an amazing tackle.
      PurpleMonkey
      • Forum Legend - Dalglish

• 9,809 posts | 1882 
      Reply #531: May 10, 2019 09:22:42 pm
      In the first half there was break, they had 3 on 2, or maybe 4 on 3, yellow jerseys in the box, Messi on the ball, looked like he would slip a pass, or beat the defender to make space for a shot, a certain goal - was it Joel who got a foot in to nick it off Messi ?   Whoever it was, was an amazing tackle.

VVD, but the pass to Messi was offside and ref played the advantage as we had a counter on the cards :D
      bmck
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 5,926 posts | 814 
      • YNWA
      Reply #532: May 10, 2019 11:20:36 pm
      VVD, but the pass to Messi was offside and ref played the advantage as we had a counter on the cards :D

Ah, OK, it was VVD, thanks :) - I need to take closer look at them highlights - and blame my confusion on the night shifts  :f_doh:
      PurpleMonkey
      • Forum Legend - Dalglish

• 9,809 posts | 1882 
      Reply #533: May 11, 2019 12:28:16 pm
      Ah, OK, it was VVD, thanks :) - I need to take closer look at them highlights - and blame my confusion on the night shifts  :f_doh:

Actually, I re-watched the match and it was actually Matip, sorry!!!
      clint_call01
      • King Live Match Starter
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 8,768 posts | 1925 
      • Ynwa... lfc till I die !
      Reply #534: May 12, 2019 08:43:58 am
      Matip's tackle on Messi just after we scored sums up his come-back. Messi thought that he would go round Matip, Matip thought otherwise :D

Quick Reply