Trending Topics

Next match: LFC v Brighton [Premier League] Sun 31st Mar @ 2:00 pm
      Anfield

Today is the 28th of March and on this date LFC's match record is P26 W11 D3 L12

Joel Matip Player Thread (D)

Read 148444 times
      delixeCFL
      Joel Matip Player Thread (D)
      Feb 15, 2016 10:17:15 am
      Pre contract signed, coming in the summer.

Welcome to the family Joel.

YNWA
      « Last Edit: Jul 19, 2022 01:49:23 pm by RedPuppy »
      reddebs
      • "LFC Hipster"
      • Forum Legend - Paisley

• 17,980 posts | 2264 
      Re: Joel Matip Player Thread
      Reply #1: Feb 15, 2016 10:19:30 am
      Not that I don't think it'll happen but I'm locking it until it's official. 

I hate tempting fate  xxxxx:action-smiley-065:
      reddebs
      • "LFC Hipster"
      • Forum Legend - Paisley

• 17,980 posts | 2264 
      Reply #2: Feb 15, 2016 11:20:33 am
      Still nothing on the Official site but it's been confirmed on ssn so fill your boots guys.

Welcome to Liverpool Football Club Joel  :kop5cf8koxp6:
      HScRed1
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 20,172 posts | 4401 
      Reply #3: Feb 15, 2016 11:30:48 am
      Excellent news.
      JD
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 39,529 posts | 6887 
      Reply #4: Feb 15, 2016 01:59:10 pm
      stuey
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 35,961 posts | 3943 
      Reply #5: Feb 15, 2016 02:02:52 pm
      Have we signed him?
      Made up if we have.
      HScRed1
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 20,172 posts | 4401 
      Reply #6: Feb 15, 2016 02:02:56 pm
      Matip is a RCB which suggests Skrtel and Lovren likely to miss out?
      Although Lovren prefers to play LCB.

FL Red
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 31,048 posts | 6294 
      Reply #7: Feb 15, 2016 02:03:57 pm

From what I read it said he was comfortable playing either side, but that his preferred pairing (don't know how anyone would know that yet) would be Sakho.
      s@int
      • Forum Legend - Paisley

• 14,987 posts | 2282 
      Reply #8: Feb 15, 2016 02:07:11 pm
      Not sure he will be a regular CB for us, seem more a jack of all trades. Can play left/right back and DM as well as both left/right CB.

Probably means the end of Ilori or Toure especially with Gomez showing such promise before his injury, although as someone pointed out Skrtel appears to be the odd one out as the others can all play with a high back line.

stuey
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 35,961 posts | 3943 
      Reply #9: Feb 15, 2016 02:08:05 pm

On a free with a 4 year contract when his contract with Schalke finishes in the summer.

http://www.theguardian.com/football/2016/feb/15/joel-matip-liverpool-schalke-transfer-signing
      Kopite78
      Reply #10: Feb 15, 2016 02:11:14 pm

I think with Kolo leaving it will mean we will go into next season with Matip, Skrtel, Sakho and Lovren as the four cbs, very difficult right now to say who will start in the first game of next season. But I'd say that depending on how he settles, the fact Jürgen will know him and has spoken about our need to need a winner of a header back there then he will be being brought in in mind to be a starter. Naturally with Sakho/Lovren on the left.

Personally not seen much of him but Jürgen will have done
      In games where the opposition being a massive areial threat you may even see him in holding mid in front of Sakho and Lovren

Add Moreno, Smith, Flanno, Clyne for full backs I don't see any more business done back there over the summer personally
      reddebs
      • "LFC Hipster"
      • Forum Legend - Paisley

• 17,980 posts | 2264 
      Reply #11: Feb 15, 2016 02:14:54 pm
      Doesn't seem like much excitement about signing Joel, is this because we don't know enough about him or because we don't think he's good enough?

Not many think he's going to be a starter, any reason for that guys?

FL Red
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 31,048 posts | 6294 
      Reply #12: Feb 15, 2016 02:17:07 pm
      Doesn't seem like much excitement about signing Joel, is this because we don't know enough about him or because we don't think he's good enough?

I sure hope he's a starter....tired of signing guys that aren't better than the players we already have. And I will say, I know nothing about him, but if Klopp likes him, then I'm onboard.
      reddebs
      • "LFC Hipster"
      • Forum Legend - Paisley

• 17,980 posts | 2264 
      Reply #13: Feb 15, 2016 02:24:20 pm
      I sure hope he's a starter....tired of signing guys that aren't better than the players we already have. And I will say, I know nothing about him, but if Klopp likes him, then I'm onboard.

I'd say he's a starter too mate.

Seems to me that Jürgen has identified that we're a team of short arses and we need some dominant height with good heading ability in the squad.  That's 3 players he's signed Grujic 6'3", Caulker and Matip both 6'4" and reinforced both the defense and midfield.
      Red Barrovian
      • Forum Legend - Fagan

• 4,356 posts | 77 
      Reply #14: Feb 15, 2016 02:25:24 pm
      Gonna be great for us this lad. His weakness his aggression in trying to win the ball back (often acts rashly) but that could turn into a positive in the PL. Quick, strong, great in the air and good on the ball. Has a goal in him, too.

Welcome to the club Joel.
      FL Red
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 31,048 posts | 6294 
      Reply #15: Feb 15, 2016 02:28:19 pm
      I'd say he's a starter too mate.

Seems to me that Jürgen has identified that we're a team of short arses and we need some dominant height with good heading ability in the squad.  That's 3 players he's signed Grujic 6'3", Caulker and Matip both 6'4" and reinforced both the defense and midfield.

Yea I've noticed that as well. Nothing wrong with putting some size into this team. I have a feeling we are going to have a very different looking squad next season, and hopefully a very hungry one with contention for places very high.
      reddebs
      • "LFC Hipster"
      • Forum Legend - Paisley

• 17,980 posts | 2264 
      Reply #16: Feb 15, 2016 02:33:19 pm
      Yea I've noticed that as well. Nothing wrong with putting some size into this team. I have a feeling we are going to have a very different looking squad next season, and hopefully a very hungry one with contention for places very high.

I agree mate.
      FL Red
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 31,048 posts | 6294 
      Reply #17: Feb 15, 2016 02:35:03 pm
      I'm guessing the lack of excitement is mainly due to some of us greedily wanting to add players in January. Not fair to this guy to have to bear the brunt of that, but human nature I guess. Since we don't get to see him till next year it's hard getting overly excited right now.
      zz19a
      • The Mighty REDS 19
      • Forum Legend - Fagan

• 3,596 posts | 165 
      • You'll Never Walk Alone
      Reply #18: Feb 15, 2016 02:41:20 pm
      Is this confirm? ;)
      reddebs
      • "LFC Hipster"
      • Forum Legend - Paisley

• 17,980 posts | 2264 
      Reply #19: Feb 15, 2016 02:50:51 pm
      clint_call01
      • King Live Match Starter
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 11,659 posts | 3670 
      • Ynwa... lfc till I die !
      Reply #20: Feb 15, 2016 02:52:02 pm
      Welcome home Matip. He is a great signing.
      reddebs
      • "LFC Hipster"
      • Forum Legend - Paisley

• 17,980 posts | 2264 
      Reply #21: Feb 15, 2016 02:55:31 pm
      Confirmed by the Club now.

Profile: Joel Matip's journey to Anfield

Glenn Price

Joel Matip has today agreed to join Liverpool from Schalke 04 this summer - learn more about the talented defender’s career thus far below.

Matip began his footballing journey with spells at SC Weitmar 45 and hometown club VFL Bochum but was quickly snapped up by Schalke 04 with his talent already evident at the age of just six.

While progressing through the Bundesliga side's junior ranks, his first introduction to professional football came with Schalke's second team in the German fourth division.

And in November 2009, Matip made his debut for the first team in memorable fashion as he scored an equalising goal against Bayern Munich and was then named Man of the Match thanks to an assured performance.

The German-born player went on to make 20 appearances in his debut season, featuring in a deep-lying midfield position.

Following his early success, the Cameroon national team looked to make the most of the centre-back's eligibility for a call-up through his father.

After months of deliberation, an 18-year-old Matip made his debut for his adopted country in a friendly clash with Italy.

He then featured in the 2010 World Cup, before scoring in the tournament four years later against the hosts Brazil.

The academy graduate went on to prove himself a versatile option for Schalke in the years after bursting onto the scene.

As well as slotting in at full-back and pushing up into midfield when needed, the 2011-12 season saw Matip establish himself at the heart of the defence.

He struck up a formidable partnership with Germany international Benedikt Howedes and has gone on to rack up over 200 appearances in all competitions.

During his time at Schalke he has won two major honours, lifting the DFB-Pokal and DFL-Supercup in 2011, and could yet add the Europa League this season.

The 24-year-old enjoys defending on the front foot and never shies away from a tackle or battling with an attacker when needed.

From his experiences in midfield, Matip is also comfortable and composed with the ball at his feet.

At 6'4, blessed with pace and athleticism, Matip has the potential to become an all-purpose component in Jürgen Klopp's side.
      s@int
      • Forum Legend - Paisley

• 14,987 posts | 2282 
      Reply #22: Feb 15, 2016 03:07:04 pm

Don't really know enough about him Debs. Just presuming that at 24 he won't be fully developed yet and also may take time to adapt as Sakho has. Obviously coming from a higher quality league than Sakho should help him.

Quick Reply