Trending Topics

Next match: LFC v Brighton [Premier League] Sun 31st Mar @ 2:00 pm
      Anfield

Today is the 28th of March and on this date LFC's match record is P26 W11 D3 L12

Joel Matip Player Thread (D)

Read 148491 times
      BarneyLFC
      • Forum Legend - Fagan

• 2,838 posts | 137 
      Re: Joel Matip Player Thread
      Reply #23: Feb 15, 2016 03:17:18 pm
      Welcome to the club.

Hopefully it means we're not investing our summer's budget into centre backs.
      reddebs
      • "LFC Hipster"
      • Forum Legend - Paisley

• 17,980 posts | 2264 
      Reply #24: Feb 15, 2016 03:21:08 pm
      Don't really know enough about him Debs. Just presuming that at 24 he won't be fully developed yet and also may take time to adapt as Sakho has. Obviously coming from a higher quality league than Sakho should help him.

Get what you're saying mate but I think injuries have hindered Sakho integrating quicker, also he had already started to be left out of PSGs starting 11 and had to move for the gametime.

I'm sure there'll be a settling in period, there nearly always is but he's still going to be a starter, unless he's completely gash.
      reddebs
      • "LFC Hipster"
      • Forum Legend - Paisley

• 17,980 posts | 2264 
      Reply #25: Feb 15, 2016 03:24:25 pm
      Welcome to the club.

Hopefully it means we're not investing our summer's budget into centre backs.

I reckon our summer budget will be spent on a right sided attacker (unless Marko shows his class) and a proper, strong, goalscoring, no messing, F**k off type CM mate.
      s@int
      • Forum Legend - Paisley

• 14,987 posts | 2282 
      Reply #26: Feb 15, 2016 03:28:00 pm
      Get what you're saying mate but I think injuries have hindered Sakho integrating quicker, also he had already started to be left out of PSGs starting 11 and had to move for the gametime.

I'm sure there'll be a settling in period, there nearly always is but he's still going to be a starter, unless he's completely gash.

Who do you think will go :- Skrtel, Sakho, Lovren, Ilori, Gomez, Toure Caulker, Matip ... 8 CB's?

I think Caulker has had his hopes dashed now and probably Toure and Ilori or as an outside possibility Skrtel will need to find new clubs. 
      reddebs
      • "LFC Hipster"
      • Forum Legend - Paisley

• 17,980 posts | 2264 
      Reply #27: Feb 15, 2016 03:35:25 pm
      Who do you think will go :- Skrtel, Sakho, Lovren, Ilori, Gomez, Toure Caulker, Matip ... 8 CB's?

I think Caulker has had his hopes dashed now and probably Toure and Ilori or as an outside possibility Skrtel will need to find new clubs. 

Caulker's only a loan so he'll go, Toures contract is up so he'll go and I'd say Skrtel if we lose anybody.  Ilori will depend on his attitude in training, if he's really pushing himself, listening and learning then I think Jürgen will prefer to keep him than keep Skrtel who is at the end of his career and is the worst fit for Jürgen out of all the CBs.
      mcarz
      • Forum Legend - Paisley

• 17,179 posts | 1355 
      Reply #28: Feb 15, 2016 03:41:20 pm
      I'm guessing the lack of excitement is mainly due to some of us greedily wanting to add players in January. 

I don't see how those two things would correlate.

Not fair to this guy to have to bear the brunt of that, but human nature I guess.

I doubt he really cares whether there's load of excitement about him signing or not.

Since we don't get to see him till next year it's hard getting overly excited right now.

This for me is the main reason why not many people are excited. I also think there's a lack of excitement because not many people seem to have seen him play before so don't know what to expect from him.
      mcarz
      • Forum Legend - Paisley

• 17,179 posts | 1355 
      Reply #29: Feb 15, 2016 03:55:36 pm

I think Caulker, Toure and Skrtel go, leaving us with Sakho, Lovren, Ilori, Gomez and Matip. I've liked what little I've seen of Ilori so far and we all know how impressive Gomez looked at times when he featured. Being the youngest I think Gomez is nailed on to stay so a big question mark hangs over Ilori. Maybe all 5 of those stay and Jürgen finds a way to develop Gomez slowly?

KS67
      • Forum Legend - Fagan

• 4,475 posts | 463 
      Reply #30: Feb 15, 2016 04:09:16 pm
      Not bothered about the 'excitement' or lack of a big fee.

My biggest hope is that he comes in and I barely have to talk or think about him.

I just want him putting 7/10 performances each week, keeping it steady and winning headers in both boxes. Doesn't have to be a world beater, just not being inconsistent or never learning from his F**k ups would put him streets ahead of the dross we have now.
      Kopite78
      Reply #31: Feb 15, 2016 04:26:56 pm
      I don't remember being that excited when we signed some Finnish fella from Willem ii in 1999

He did alright like..

I'll judge next season
      carragerrard
      • Forum Legend - Fagan

• 3,584 posts | 94 
      Reply #32: Feb 15, 2016 04:37:48 pm
      Confirmed by the Club now.

Profile: Joel Matip's journey to Anfield

Glenn Price

Joel Matip has today agreed to join Liverpool from Schalke 04 this summer - learn more about the talented defender’s career thus far below.

Matip began his footballing journey with spells at SC Weitmar 45 and hometown club VFL Bochum but was quickly snapped up by Schalke 04 with his talent already evident at the age of just six.

While progressing through the Bundesliga side's junior ranks, his first introduction to professional football came with Schalke's second team in the German fourth division.

And in November 2009, Matip made his debut for the first team in memorable fashion as he scored an equalising goal against Bayern Munich and was then named Man of the Match thanks to an assured performance.

The German-born player went on to make 20 appearances in his debut season, featuring in a deep-lying midfield position.

Following his early success, the Cameroon national team looked to make the most of the centre-back's eligibility for a call-up through his father.

After months of deliberation, an 18-year-old Matip made his debut for his adopted country in a friendly clash with Italy.

He then featured in the 2010 World Cup, before scoring in the tournament four years later against the hosts Brazil.

The academy graduate went on to prove himself a versatile option for Schalke in the years after bursting onto the scene.

As well as slotting in at full-back and pushing up into midfield when needed, the 2011-12 season saw Matip establish himself at the heart of the defence.

He struck up a formidable partnership with Germany international Benedikt Howedes and has gone on to rack up over 200 appearances in all competitions.

During his time at Schalke he has won two major honours, lifting the DFB-Pokal and DFL-Supercup in 2011, and could yet add the Europa League this season.

The 24-year-old enjoys defending on the front foot and never shies away from a tackle or battling with an attacker when needed.

From his experiences in midfield, Matip is also comfortable and composed with the ball at his feet.

At 6'4, blessed with pace and athleticism, Matip has the potential to become an all-purpose component in Jürgen Klopp's side.

and from Schalke 04 too
      http://www.schalke04.de/en/news/160215_matip/page/2094--86-86-.html

great news ,
      hoping he will fit and deliver immediately

YNWA
      TheRedMosquito
      • Forum Legend - Paisley

• 12,201 posts | 633 
      • Elmore James got nothin' on this baby!
      Reply #33: Feb 15, 2016 04:43:23 pm
      Matip should prove to be a good signing for us. From what I've seen of him at Schalke, he definitely would've gone for decently big price, so to get him on a free is great business.
      bazspeedman
      • Forum Legend - Paisley

• 15,743 posts | 2436 
      Reply #34: Feb 15, 2016 05:32:20 pm
      Liverpool FC signing a quality player on a free for low wages.

Is this really true?
      clint_call01
      • King Live Match Starter
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 11,659 posts | 3670 
      • Ynwa... lfc till I die !
      Reply #35: Feb 15, 2016 05:41:17 pm

I will sell Ilori, Skrtel, Toure Wisdom and Caulker. Sakho, Matip 1st choice, Lovren and Gomez. Id needed back-up Can or Lucas or some good youngster.
      BarneyLFC
      • Forum Legend - Fagan

• 2,838 posts | 137 
      Reply #36: Feb 15, 2016 05:45:31 pm

Caulker, Toure, and Ilori will all go I'd guess. I think we'll be looking at going into next season with Matip, Sakho, Lovren, Skrtel, and Gomez. I'd be wanting to get rid of Skrtel and either keep Ilori or try and loan Caulker for another season..

I reckon our summer budget will be spent on a right sided attacker (unless Marko shows his class) and a proper, strong, goalscoring, no messing, f**k off type CM mate.

I think we'll end up with a goalkeeper, though I'm not sure how good of one we'll end up with. I think we'll sign a midfielder too, though I don't think we'll be looking at the type you described. I think we'll possibly be looking at more of an Alonso type. Someone to sit a bit deeper and spray the ball around. I think we'll sign a goalscoring player who plays on the wings regardless of how Markovic does. I also think a striker is likely to come in if Benteke goes.
      BarneyLFC
      • Forum Legend - Fagan

• 2,838 posts | 137 
      Reply #37: Feb 15, 2016 05:47:14 pm
      Liverpool FC signing a quality player on a free for low wages.

Is this really true?

Don't worry mate, people will be in here slagging him off soon enough.

And I doubt he's on low wages. Free transfers almost always command bigger wages and bigger sign on fees/bonuses. As well as that, Schalke apparently offered to double his wages, so we'll have had to at least beat those.
      Frankly, Mr Shankly
      Reply #38: Feb 15, 2016 05:55:33 pm
      Good to sign this one up swiftly. Like Grujic it gives Joel a good few months to prepare himself for the move. Knowing Klopp's ability and sheer force of personality makes it easier for these guys to know what is expected of them and what they're walking into.

At 24 he seems to be at the ripe age where he is prepared to do open up a new chapter to his career.
      MarkMitt
      • Forum Legend - Fagan

• 2,800 posts | 337 
      • Give it your best every time!
      Reply #39: Feb 15, 2016 05:58:08 pm
      I know very little about the lad coming in the summer, but welcome nonetheless. He's apparently a decent defender and we need another one so hopefully he fits the bill.

MarkMitt
      • Forum Legend - Fagan

• 2,800 posts | 337 
      • Give it your best every time!
      Reply #40: Feb 15, 2016 05:58:53 pm
      Ilori, Touré, Skrtel out?
      LondonRed83
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 21,300 posts | 3869 
      Reply #41: Feb 15, 2016 06:18:19 pm
      Hopefully our new Hyypia
      harrydunn08
      • Forum Legend - Dalglish

• 5,915 posts | 957 
      Reply #42: Feb 15, 2016 06:19:39 pm
      Seems to be a player Klopp identified and receuited, and also happens to be an area we desperately need to improve.  Assuming Klopp knows his stuff (which I believe he does) then this should be a very shrewd signing for us!!
      FL Red
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 31,048 posts | 6294 
      Reply #43: Feb 15, 2016 06:28:23 pm
      Why does everyone want to ship Ilori out? He's probably more suited to how we play than Skrtel is. And after this season, I don't think we want to be just shipping out able bodied players.
      lester76
      • Forum Legend - Fagan

• 4,810 posts | 242 
      Reply #44: Feb 15, 2016 06:37:52 pm
      From what I have seen and read about Joel I reckon he is a good signing

The issue to me when people look at who we currently have as potential CB pairings is that some people still don't realize that most of our current options for that position simply aren't good enough.

The mentality still remains that because a player has been with us for a while or because they have a reputation as a 'monster' that they should be with us going forward.

We have to finally accept that many of them aren't good enough and that we have to make proper and widespread changes at the club in terms of personnel and attitude of players.

Klopp, I reckon, will show little sentiment come the summer and hopefully we will start to ship out quite a few players that really aren't good enough.

Always go back to whether you would imagine any of the top 6 clubs wanting to sign any of our players.
      If not, then they are certainly not good enough for us.
      « Last Edit: Feb 15, 2016 07:21:12 pm by lester76 »
      7-King Kenny-7
      • Lives on Sesame Street
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 44,014 posts | 5760 
      • You'll Never Walk Alone!
      Reply #45: Feb 15, 2016 06:39:43 pm

Fingers crossed, if we can form another Hyypia and Carra partnership then it would be a good start to build the team into a team that can compete again.

Reckon this signing will spell the end of Skrtel to be honest.

Quick Reply