Trending Topics

Next match: LFC v Brighton [Premier League] Sun 31st Mar @ 2:00 pm
      Anfield

Today is the 28th of March and on this date LFC's match record is P26 W11 D3 L12

Joel Matip Player Thread (D)

Read 148466 times
      mcarz
      • Forum Legend - Paisley

• 17,179 posts | 1355 
      Re: Joel Matip Player Thread
      Reply #46: Feb 15, 2016 06:45:23 pm
      Liverpool FC signing a quality player on a free for low wages.

Is this really true?

What wages is he going to be on? I've not seen anything about his wages.
      Poko
      • Forum Legend - Benitez

• 1,502 posts | 65 
      Reply #47: Feb 15, 2016 06:45:55 pm
      Why does everyone want to ship Ilori out? He's probably more suited to how we play than Skrtel is. And after this season, I don't think we want to be just shipping out able bodied players.

This. Ilori did not look to shabby vs. West Ham. And personally I would rather keep Skrtel than Lovren.
      7-King Kenny-7
      • Lives on Sesame Street
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 44,014 posts | 5760 
      • You'll Never Walk Alone!
      Reply #48: Feb 15, 2016 06:47:42 pm
      Liverpool FC signing a quality player on a free for low wages.

Is this really true?

Erm... Kolo Toure, Voronin and Bogdan to name a few.

:couch:
      Poko
      • Forum Legend - Benitez

• 1,502 posts | 65 
      Reply #49: Feb 15, 2016 06:58:01 pm
      Erm... Kolo Toure, Voronin and Bogdan to name a few.

:couch:

Don't forget Milan Jovanovic..
      TheRedMosquito
      • Forum Legend - Paisley

• 12,201 posts | 633 
      • Elmore James got nothin' on this baby!
      Reply #50: Feb 15, 2016 07:18:22 pm
      Don't forget Milan Jovanovic..

FATKOPITE10
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 14,342 posts | 3368 
      • Liverpool fc give me tourettes
      Reply #51: Feb 15, 2016 07:22:18 pm
      ORCHARD RED
      • Forum Legend - Dalglish

• 8,526 posts | 1457 
      • 6 Times!
      Reply #52: Feb 15, 2016 07:24:30 pm
      I don't remember being that excited when we signed some Finnish fella from Willem ii in 1999

He did alright like..

I'll judge next season

I was actually excited about Sami, he was just the towering CB we needed at the time, little did I know just how good he would be. Not expecting Another Hyypia, but hopefully he can be a decent signing.
      ORCHARD RED

• 8,526 posts | 1457 
      • 6 Times!
      Reply #53: Feb 15, 2016 07:34:17 pm
      Fingers crossed, if we can form another Hyypia and Carra partnership then it would be a good start to build the team into a team that can compete again.
      As much as I loved that pairing, I don't think they've got the legs for it anymore
      mate!  :f_whistle:
      Brian78
      • Forum Legend - Paisley

• 19,046 posts | 2741 
      • A Liverbird upon my chest
      Reply #54: Feb 15, 2016 07:40:14 pm
      Don't know too much about him being honest but by the sounds of it has something about. Stats, ah stats, suggest he's among the top 5 defenders in Germany no mean feat that.

Let's not go down the road of he's the next this or next that lets get him in to the squad see him play a good few games and settle in without putting huge expectations on his shoulder. New league new style opponent new team mates new language it takes time to settle last thing he needs is us lot judging him after 3 games.

Good start to he redesign of the squad. Welcome Joel
      bmck

• 9,404 posts | 1611 
      • YNWA
      Reply #55: Feb 15, 2016 07:43:50 pm
      Don't know much about Matip. Interesting that he's a free transfer / surprised Schalke didn't try an tie him up before now instead of allow him go on a free. With Grujic, that's £5mill in fees,  FSG will be happy (and he's only 24)

Hoping for good things.  Welcome Joel !!! :)
      carragerrard
      • Forum Legend - Fagan

• 3,584 posts | 94 
      Reply #56: Feb 15, 2016 07:50:07 pm
      Don't know much about Matip. Interesting that he's a free transfer / surprised Schalke didn't try an tie him up before now instead of allow him go on a free. With Grujic, that's £5mill in fees,  FSG will be happy (and he's only 24)

Hoping for good things.  Welcome Joel !!! :)

infact Schalke tried everything to convince the player to sign an extension  but the player refused

Ultimately, all of Schalke’s efforts were in vain, as the 24-year-old made the decision to leave the club upon the expiry of his contract. "We have held extensive discussions with both the player and his agent since May. It became clear very quickly that certain decisive factors meant we would not be able to influence his decision," explained sporting director Horst Heldt.

from  the Schalke website ..the link I posted above

so  guess we would have paid a big sum if he was on a contract

YNWA
      AussieRed
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 20,583 posts | 6643 
      • You'll Never Walk Alone
      Reply #57: Feb 15, 2016 08:01:52 pm

Great call mate, let's hope he is too.

Welcome Joel.
      Scottbot

• 9,542 posts | 2135 
      Reply #58: Feb 15, 2016 08:03:10 pm
      Doesn't seem like much excitement about signing Joel, is this because we don't know enough about him or because we don't think he's good enough?

Not many think he's going to be a starter, any reason for that guys?

I don't think many know much about the lad, that and maybe also because of the not so long list of successful African defenders who have made it in the EPL (I can't think of many/any in European football if I'm honest)

Edit: seems the lad is effectively a German lad who came through the youth ranks in the Bundesliga and now plays for Cameroon courtesy of his heritage. Fingers crossed this means he isn't Rigobert Song Mark 2!
      Magillionare
      • Official LFC Reds Sig Maker. Lives on Sesame Street.
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 14,918 posts | 2381 
      • Hold on a minute, John Wayne hasn't arrived yet.
      Reply #59: Feb 15, 2016 08:05:27 pm

Bar doesn't get higher than that. Lets hope he lives up to it.
      reddebs
      • "LFC Hipster"
      • Forum Legend - Paisley

• 17,980 posts | 2264 
      Reply #60: Feb 15, 2016 08:12:28 pm

I don't think many know much about the lad, that and maybe also because of the not so long list of successful African defenders who have made it in the EPL (I can't think of many/any in European football if I'm honest)

He's German born and raised, African by descent so playing style is definitely German rather than African.

I get not many will know much about him mate but there wasn't any of the usual rush to find out everything to the the nth degree about him like we normally do on every player we're ever linked with.

Maybe people were wanting/hoping for attacking players in January, so weren't that bothered about potentially getting Joel earlier than the summer.
      fields of anny rd
      • Forum Legend - Paisley

• 17,663 posts | 1961 
      Reply #61: Feb 15, 2016 08:25:09 pm
      Him and Skrtel will battle it out for the RCB spot. That is real strength in depth there because Skrtel is our best CB in the team as of now. Lovren and Sakho will fight it out for the LCB spot and that to me still looks like a weakness.

Happy with this signing though, Skrtel has had very little competition for his spot since Carra retired.
      bmck

• 9,404 posts | 1611 
      • YNWA
      Reply #62: Feb 15, 2016 08:50:35 pm
      Is he a ball player, or 'putyourheadwhereyouwould ntputyourboot' kind of a guy? Hope he's a ball player, could be doing with someone bringing it out of defense, a la Agger, and with an eye for chipping in with goals...   Don't want much, eh :)
      KopiteLuke
      • Forum Legend - Shankly

• 21,056 posts | 3784 
      Reply #63: Feb 15, 2016 08:53:38 pm
      Him and Skrtel will battle it out for the RCB spot. That is real strength in depth there because Skrtel is our best CB in the team as of now. Lovren and Sakho will fight it out for the LCB spot and that to me still looks like a weakness.

Happy with this signing though, Skrtel has had very little competition for his spot since Carra retired.

Wont even be close mate, Matip will be much the better player.

This is a bit of a coup in my opinion, getting this lad on a free is incredible value for money and that will of course suit FSG but it will open up the chance for us to spend elsewhere and that's ultimately what we want too.

Absolutely delighted with this, an aerially dominant CB is something we've lacked since Hyypia in my opinion and this lad has all the hallmarks to develop just like big Sami. He chips in with the odd goal and is composed on the ball, doesn't mind getting forward either and is decent in possession.

First signs of a sea change in our transfers, so many of us said there is untapped potential in Germany and at cheap prices, Jürgen arrives and then this lad signs on the dotted line, very encouraging for the summer in my opinion.

Welcome to the club Joel, very pleased to have you as party of the family!
      Lio Varadkar
      • Forum Emlyn Hughes

• 785 posts | 66 
      Reply #64: Feb 15, 2016 09:11:53 pm
      Fantastic addition, welcome Joel. Hope that big fat signing-on bonus wont change your fighting atitude.
      federer
      • Needs a Klopp hug
      • Forum Legend - Fagan

• 4,932 posts | 645 
      Reply #65: Feb 15, 2016 09:45:35 pm
      Never seen him play.  Don't mind signings like this though as they are very, very low risk.  Even if he is an absolute atrocity, we could probably get a few million for a transfer fee for him, which would cover his wages.  So there's literally nothing to lose.

let's just hope FSG don't do something stupid and ruin the sense of a deal like this by putting him on Milner type wages.
      HScRed1
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 20,172 posts | 4401 
      Reply #66: Feb 15, 2016 09:50:20 pm

Skrtel is probably the CB least suited to the way Klopp wants to play a high pressing game meaning the CB's play a high line.
      Skrtel's default is to drop off and play the opposition onside. It's why he's a nightmare for Sakho and Lovren both of whom are front front aggressive defenders.
      Aggerdoo
      • Forum Legend - Fagan

• 3,464 posts | 228 
      Reply #67: Feb 15, 2016 10:08:32 pm
      Bar doesn't get higher than that. Lets hope he lives up to it.

He's a tall player. Maybe he can reach the bar  ;D
      Toycel
      • Forum Billy Liddell

• 568 posts |
      Reply #68: Feb 15, 2016 10:12:23 pm
      He seems to have an incredible goal scoring strike rate for a centre back (1 every 10 games)
      Has he played more as a midfielder in the past or maybe takes penalties?

Quick Reply