Trending Topics

Next match: LFC v Brighton [Premier League] Sun 31st Mar @ 2:00 pm
      Anfield

Today is the 28th of March and on this date LFC's match record is P26 W11 D3 L12

Joel Matip Player Thread (D)

Read 148461 times
      bigmick
      • Forum Legend - Paisley

• 10,078 posts | 2767 
      Re: Joel Matip Player Thread
      Reply #299: Mar 12, 2017 08:41:32 pm
      I thought he was Ok rather than excellent, a little indecisive at times for my taste. Between him and Clyne they made a nonsense of picking up Barnes for their goal, and a couple of times after we scored Matip was all over the place under the high ball. For the goal,  I thought Clyne should have got in tighter, but if Matip is going to let his man peel off and go in behind he has to either pass him on properly or at the very least make sure the ball doesn't go past him like it did.

All of our defenders aren't too keen on taking responsibility, and while I think Joel has the potential to be very good, I didn't think he was anywhere near at his best today.
      Frankly, Mr Shankly
      Reply #300: Apr 05, 2017 10:55:10 pm
      If he was fit enough to come on in the second half then why wasn't he fit enough to start? Sometimes think that we're acting too sensitively with regards to injuries at the moment. Wasn't it Alan Shearer who said a few months back that when he was playing he rarely took to the field 100% clean bill of health?
      HScRed1
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 20,172 posts | 4401 
      Reply #301: Apr 05, 2017 11:00:10 pm
      Looking likely to be our next Agger, great defender but not always available.
      PurpleMonkey
      • Forum Legend - Paisley

• 10,000 posts | 1991 
      Reply #302: Apr 05, 2017 11:21:41 pm
      Looking likely to be our next Agger, great defender but not always available.

Could say the same for Lovren and when Sakho was here too. I wonder, when was the last time we had a CB pairing that played 32+ PL games?
      mcarz
      • Forum Legend - Paisley

• 17,179 posts | 1355 
      Reply #303: Apr 05, 2017 11:23:44 pm
      I thought Carra made a great point tonight. Our 3rd choice centre back (and even our 4th choice) plays far too often.

HScRed1
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 20,172 posts | 4401 
      Reply #304: Apr 05, 2017 11:25:25 pm
      Could say the same for Lovren and when Sakho was here too. I wonder, when was the last time we had a CB pairing that played 32+ PL games?

Your right in a way but I have never been fully convinced with Lovren and lost faith in Sakho. Both of whom have seen 50 odd goals a season.
      Frankly, Mr Shankly
      Reply #305: Apr 05, 2017 11:27:19 pm
      Your right in a way but I have never been fully convinced with Lovren and lost faith in Sakho. Both of whom have seen 50 odd goals a season.

Who's the common denominator across the last few seasons? Simon Mignolet.
      PurpleMonkey
      • Forum Legend - Paisley

• 10,000 posts | 1991 
      Reply #306: Apr 05, 2017 11:43:45 pm
      Who's the common denominator across the last few seasons? Simon Mignolet.

Not gonna argue against this, and certainly not defending Migs, but an ever changing CB pairing, no reliable #6 since Lucas had his 2nd serious injury and dodgy defensive left backs over the years doesn't help :(
      Beerbelly
      • Banned

• 6,983 posts | 2054 
      Reply #307: Apr 08, 2017 05:54:35 am
      Good player undoubtedly. Has an air of Agger about him in on the injury front though. Not sure he's going to be the reliable bedrock of the defence if I'm honest. Shame if that were the case.

Time we had CB's that can virtually play uninterrupted, ala Hyypia, Henchoz, Carra.
      Benito
      • Forum Legend - Fagan

• 2,918 posts | 281 
      Reply #308: Aug 12, 2017 06:43:47 pm
      Needs to knuckle down. Was crap all preseason and was less than impressive today when it counts...
      noggin
      • Forum Legend - Benitez

• 1,860 posts | 165 
      Reply #309: Aug 12, 2017 06:50:34 pm
      For a tall guy, doesn't command his area very well.
      Dadorious
      • Forum Legend - Dalglish

• 9,882 posts | 1545 
      Reply #310: Sep 09, 2017 04:07:40 pm
      What a F***ing donkey at the back this lad was. Positioning was embarrassing, soft in the tackle, no awareness and terrible distribution.

What is it with some players being immune from criticism had Lovren put that sort of performance in there would be calls to quarter him in the middle of Albert Dock.

Feel a bit cheated by this lad to be honest been hiding for a little while and he's got away with being better then the rest of the shitty bunch. Miles away from being solid Premiership let alone world class.
      bigmick
      • Forum Legend - Paisley

• 10,078 posts | 2767 
      Reply #311: Sep 09, 2017 10:20:18 pm
      Absolutely awful today, and I must confess it isn't the first time I've felt he goes missing when the pressure comes on top. He tends to swerve any criticism on here, but IMHO he is a full 50% of our central defensive problems.
      paulow63
      • Forum Alan Hansen

• 648 posts | 83 
      Reply #312: Sep 09, 2017 10:41:56 pm
      Watching motd with an eye on defence, my word Matip was an embarrassment, no leadership, wasn't reading the game in fact about 2 weeks behind play and very little effort. If a player like Rio Ferdinand scores about 8.5 on reading the game Matip scored about 1.5 today.
      « Last Edit: Sep 09, 2017 10:46:14 pm by paulow63 »
      lreland
      • Forum Legend - Benitez

• 1,360 posts | 116 
      Reply #313: Sep 09, 2017 10:42:11 pm
      What wrong with our club from Brenden to klopp both seem think attack football with poor cback will win league
      paulow63
      • Forum Alan Hansen

• 648 posts | 83 
      Reply #314: Sep 09, 2017 10:49:32 pm
      What wrong with our club from Brenden to klopp both seem think attack football with poor cback will win league
      Unfortunately Ireland, with 8 goals against in 2 away games it's certainly not looking good. Apparently though everything is rosey.  Teams will be licking their lips at having a go at us this season.
      noggin
      • Forum Legend - Benitez

• 1,860 posts | 165 
      Reply #315: Sep 09, 2017 11:05:00 pm
      Looked like he was running in a bog, showed no desire or bust a gut to get back today.
      HScRed1
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 20,172 posts | 4401 
      Reply #316: Sep 13, 2017 10:55:17 am
      Need a big game from him tonight as he has been well let's say underwhelming to downright shocking against City.
      Was in some way responsible for at least 3 of the goals on Saturday from poor positioning and what looked like a poor attitude of just accepting the inevitable thrashing.
      bazspeedman
      • Forum Legend - Paisley

• 15,743 posts | 2436 
      Reply #317: Sep 13, 2017 11:05:51 am
      Need a big game from him tonight as he has been well let's say underwhelming to downright shocking against City.
      Was in some way responsible for at least 3 of the goals on Saturday from poor positioning and what looked like a poor attitude of just accepting the inevitable thrashing.

It was Klavan who was shocking against City mate Matip can only do so much on his own back there.
      HUYTON RED
      • Forum Legend - Shankly

• 39,947 posts | 8458 
      Reply #318: Sep 13, 2017 11:07:45 am
      It was Klavan who was shocking against City mate Matip can only do so much on his own back there.

Nah, whole team were shocking, no point trying to single anyone out singularly.
      HScRed1
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 20,172 posts | 4401 
      Reply #319: Sep 13, 2017 11:08:06 am

Look back at all the goals mate Matip is just as culpable as his partner.

bazspeedman
      • Forum Legend - Paisley

• 15,743 posts | 2436 
      Reply #320: Sep 13, 2017 11:09:42 am
      Nah, whole team were shocking, no point trying to single anyone out singularly.

I agree mate but Gomez should be starting ahead of Klavan that guy is pants.
      HUYTON RED
      • Forum Legend - Shankly

• 39,947 posts | 8458 
      Reply #321: Sep 13, 2017 11:45:07 am
      I agree mate but Gomez should be starting ahead of Klavan that guy is pants.

He is not as bad as everyone makes out, especially as Lovren makes mistakes just as much as Klavan.

End of the day though when you're buying the most expensive Estonian at £4 million, you kind of guess you're not getting a world beater at his age.

Klopp went with him because he knows him from the German league imo.

Quick Reply